Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Is it safe to assume GTA V won't be coming to PC?

• 58 results
    Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It's been 6+ months and not a word, at least not in the places I look, so I figure this is a repeat of Red Dead Redemption. I wonder why they ditched PC, I seriously hope it isn't because people rightfully called out the GTA IV port for being deeply problematic. It would be sad if instead of trying to make a better port they would just go the "I'm taking my ball and going home" route.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By iceman228433

I think it will it normally just takes about a year if the past is any indication.

Avatar image for singingmenstrual
    SingingMenstrual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SingingMenstrual

@hayt said:

It's been 6+ months and not a word

I don't deserve it? I know you got my last two letters, I wrote the addresses on 'em perfect! (hint)

--

6 months is nothing dude, the game is still being sold and played on consoles, Rockstar still does shit for GTA Online, so they want people to keep buying the expensive console version. The PC version will come when they're done milking the ancient consoles.

so I figure this is a repeat of Red Dead Redemption.

Seeing as L.A. Noire and Max Payne 3 both made their way on PC after RDR came out, I don't think so.

I seriously hope it isn't because people rightfully called out the GTA IV port for being deeply problematic. It would be sad if instead of trying to make a better port they would just go the "I'm taking my ball and going home" route.

GTA IV and V are not related when it comes to porting quality. IV (and RDR) used the older engine that ran like shit on PC. The new engine started with Max Payne 3 (and was used for V and probably the next few R* games), and that engine is extremely PC friendly (MP3 was flawless on PC).

anywhereilay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting a bit ahead of yourself. A title as big as V, will be brought to pc eventually.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given how RDR never came out for PC, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that GTAV won't be making an appearance either.

No idea why they're refusing to release games for the PC now.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hayt

@iceman228433:

I went and looked because I knew it took a long time but it wasn't anything like this. GTA IV came out in late April on consoles. By August they had announced the PC version and by December it was out. This seems much more like Red Dead where they say nothing at all.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hayt

@singingmenstrual:

Max Payne 3 launched on PC alongside consoles and LA Noire was out on PC within 6 months of release and the PC version was announced only a MONTH after it came out on consoles. Meanwhile there has been no tweet, no announcement or wry wink from Rockstar regarding GTA V and it has been 6 months. I would love to be wrong but it's looking grim.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

It makes sense to me that it's not out yet. It's still selling huge numbers on consoles. PC games tend to be cheaper, go on sale faster and get pirated more. The longer they hold out the more console versions they will sell at full price. Once sales level off we'll see a PC or possibly new gen port.

roboculus92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figure that it'll eventually come since they know that there would be a lot of interest considering it's GTA. Of course Red Dead is the one example that didn't make it (I'm guessing they didn't think it was worth it) but considering how well GTA V sold, I have no doubt that a PC version will eventually come.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They would simply be rejecting piles of cash to not release it on PC. It will almost certainly get a PC release.

At the moment, though, they seem want to wait perhaps a year to make sure its sale on current consoles has dried up. Then, I think there's a decent likelihood they will be releasing next gen and PC "ultimate" versions with the DLC and improved graphics. There is still a lot of money they can get out of GTA V, and I highly doubt they won't pursue it.

By the end of E3, I would be a bit surprised to have not heard about next gen and PC releases.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard a few different summer rumors recently. Too lazy to find a source, and rumors are just rumors. I would be surprised if it didn't get a PC and PS4/XB1 port. The game made huge piles of cash, a port would definitely be profitable.I don't think they'll announce anything while sales are still strong on the current gen version. It'll probably come quick after they make an announcement. Just putting my guess on record here... June announcement, September release.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hayt said:

It's been 6+ months and not a word

I don't deserve it? I know you got my last two letters, I wrote the addresses on 'em perfect! (hint)

--

So this is my cassette I'm sending you, I hope you hear it. I'm in the car right now, I'm doing 90 on the freeway.

I don't need your damn hint to know who you're quoting! Possibly my favorite rap/hip-hop song ever, especially since I don't listen to the genre very much. Stannnnnnnnnn!

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By IroN1c

They will probably put out a "complete" version containing the DLCs for PC along with Next Gen consoles because they want people to keep playing GTA Online.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Every person who covers the business seems to think it's inevitable; I don't own a PC but I'd really love to see a higher res version on PS4.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MOAB

I really don't even care anymore.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hunkulese

@hayt said:

It's been 6+ months and not a word, at least not in the places I look, so I figure this is a repeat of Red Dead Redemption. I wonder why they ditched PC, I seriously hope it isn't because people rightfully called out the GTA IV port for being deeply problematic. It would be sad if instead of trying to make a better port they would just go the "I'm taking my ball and going home" route.

It's nothing like RDR. RDR didn't come to PCs because it was a hellashish piece of code that was barely able to function as it was. It would have taken way to much work and money on a game that was already massively over budget.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once sales level off we'll see a PC or possibly new gen port.

Not blocking out the rest because I disagree, I do in fact mostly agree to all. But this is to me the most pertinent. They have 'current gen' to play with now, and a tradition of poor porting and non porting to the PC. I think it may happen, but they certainly have more headroom presently, and possibly more ease in implementing to consoles. PC would open up a more isolated market and demand, probably true.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

I think it could go either way at this point. If there will be a PC port, they're probably sitting on it, and will announce it when console sales die down. They're still waiting for PC people to get fed up and buy it, then they'll sell it to them again next year.

Or they'll just never release a PC version, I dunno.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I dont think GTA4 was very successful on pc and was pirated a lot more than most titles. Though, pc is in a different position than it was in 2008. I dont think its a definite like some are suggesting, but it isnt out of the question.

Actually, now that I think about it, has any rockstar game been a success on PC? Maybe in their early years, but pc has (mostly) been an afterthought for them

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikeJFlick

The reason they aren't announcing it is because they want PS3/360 sales to continue, they want to maximize profit and get as many repeat sales as possible this means PS3/360/PS4/Xbone and PC, potentially they'll be able to sell the game twice to many people, if not three times at a full retail price.

If they had said right before the new consoles out, hey were releasing a PS4 and Xbone version in a couple months, this would of soured sales of the PS3 and 360 versions, delaying next gen+PC release is the best way to maximize the profit.

I have little doubt that the PC version is done and ready, merely on standby.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will be released once the cheese buying DLC is finished.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still banking on the PC version being released alongside the PS4/Xbox One versions. They'd probably also wait for the DLC to come out for the PS3/360 so that they can package it together and justify the full price they would charge. That's if DLC will be made at all - I doubt that will happen.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say hold off, it will come. You have to believe!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ch3burashka

All GTA's have come to PC.

Edit: No one better fucking correct me by bringing up the PSP/DS ones. You know what I meant, you fucker.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Bones8677

With Red Dead Redemption never coming to PC, I never understood why so many people were waiting for a PC version as if it was already announced.

"So have you played GTA5?"

"Nah, I'll just wait for the PC version."

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wait for them to play the piracy card.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

oh man red dead is so good...

gtav pretty good too.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

it still seems crazy Red Dead never came to PC but then LA Noir did..... I have no idea what's wrong with Rockstar. The Next Gen console port rumors are fairly recent, so maybe they could be delaying something..... and also I don't care any more.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By colourful_hippie

@random45 said:

Given how RDR never came out for PC, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that GTAV won't be making an appearance either.

No idea why they're refusing to release games for the PC now.

With Red Dead Redemption never coming to PC, I never understood why so many people were waiting for a PC version as if it was already announced.

"So have you played GTA5?"

"Nah, I'll just wait for the PC version."

If you look at the number of Rockstar titles on PC you'd realize that RDR is actually an exception to the norm.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If next gen versions are coming out then my guess will be that a PC port would be announced along side that. If they aren't making next gen versions I doubt there'll be a PC version.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some good points made in this thread. At the end of the day I hope I'm wrong. It's just that if there is an announcement coming it's taking an unprecidently long time.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Max Payne is the only game from R* that's actually been good on PC though. GTA IV and L.A Noire both had issues with frame rates and bugs that didn't exist on the console versions, not that L.A Noire ran that great on consoles either.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Andorski

@mrcraggle said:

Max Payne is the only game from R* that's actually been good on PC though. GTA IV and L.A Noire both had issues with frame rates and bugs that didn't exist on the console versions, not that L.A Noire ran that great on consoles either.

LA Noire was a Team Bondi game; it didn't use RAGE (R*'s game engine) and R* only acted as publisher. GTA IV was pretty bad, but that game came out such a long time ago. I am hoping (praying) that the time between then and now has allowed them to improve what RAGE can do on PC, with MP3 being proof of that.

@crithon said:

it still seems crazy Red Dead never came to PC but then LA Noir did..... I have no idea what's wrong with Rockstar.

Didn't R* San Diego basically implode after the release of RDR with the outrage of the terrible working conditions that the development studio had. I was always under the assumption that after R* pushed RDR out retail they wiped their hands clean and said, "Let's not deal with that mess of a development cycle. Everyone, focus on GTA V."

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

I bought GTA IV on PC yesterday, but I haven't even been able to play the single player because I can't connect to the Social Hub.

At this point I don't even care if GTA V comes out on PC.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Milkman

Honestly, how many people out there haven't played GTA V and are still dying to play it on PC? It certainly feels like the ship has sailed.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

They would simply be rejecting piles of cash to not release it on PC. It will almost certainly get a PC release.

At the moment, though, they seem want to wait perhaps a year to make sure its sale on current consoles has dried up. Then, I think there's a decent likelihood they will be releasing next gen and PC "ultimate" versions with the DLC and improved graphics. There is still a lot of money they can get out of GTA V, and I highly doubt they won't pursue it.

By the end of E3, I would be a bit surprised to have not heard about next gen and PC releases.

And I'll be cursing rockstar all while handing them $60 again. I couldn't pass up a PS4 version of GTA V. Bad Tellah! don't give them any ideas! ;p

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Dalai

@milkman said:

Honestly, how many people out there haven't played GTA V and is still dying to play it on PC? It certainly feels like the ship has sailed.

Well there's me. I'm on the dock waiting.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

And I'll be cursing rockstar all while handing them $60 again. I couldn't pass up a PS4 version of GTA V. Bad Tellah! don't give them any ideas! ;p

Mwahaha. It will come to pass soon enough!

h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

RDR never made it to PC for good reasons, development stopped and started and got tossed between teams a few times, the code was a mess, game was buggy as fuck, in order for them to release it on PC they would have had to pretty much rebuild the game from the ground up.

GTA V will come to PC eventually, there's a lot of evidence pointing toward it in the bug logs and various other sources including the code of the console versions and app.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remembered that game even existed while watching the GDC awards last night. I'd welcome a PC port, but I'll probably forget that game exists in a few minutes.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#43  Edited By donutfever

People keep bringing up Red Dead, but it's the only big R* game that didn't get of PC release (outside of GTA V, that is).

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People keep bringing up Red Dead, but it's the only big R* game that didn't get of PC release (outside of GTA V, that is).

If you look at the bulk of their pc ports though, you'll notice most of them are A) pretty bad B) werent very successful C) were pirated a shit ton. Maybe they've reached a point where they realize their core audience is on consoles and there's no point in putting in any effort on a pc port.

Or maybe they're working on it right now and will announce tomorrow. Like I said earlier in this thread, it aint definite, but it aint out of the question either.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think the reason is that Rock* wants to add more content in GTA online before they say a date/month for the pc/ps4/xbox one versions

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they do announce it for PC. I finally broke down and bought the PS3 digital version and the initial load time is unbearable. There's also the crash when coming out of replay mode which put a damper on me going for gold on all story missions.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a large developer, they sure are taking their sweet-ass time releasing a PC version. And c'mon, if this is a weird business thing, it's retarded, I don't see how a PC version would cannibalize the sales of the console version, most of the masses would still buy it for console instead of pirating it on PC, just like every other game that releases on both.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By fattony12000

Rockstar will release a PC version of Grand Theft Auto 5 in 2014, Eurogamer understands.

Multiple industry sources have indicated the open world game, currently available for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, will come out on PC in the first quarter of 2014.

The release plan mirrors that used for Grand Theft Auto 4, which released on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on 29th April 2008 before launching on PC in December 2008.

A PC release should come as no surprise. In August GPU maker Nvidia's senior director of investor relations Chris Evenden mentioned a PC version of GTA5 during a financial call.

"[PC] gamers are preparing their systems for a strong roster of games coming this fall, including blockbuster franchises such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Grand Theft Auto 5 and Assassin's Creed 4," he said.

After Evenden's quotes were picked up by press, Nvidia issued Eurogamer a statement saying they were made in error. "Nvidia does not have information on any possible PC version release of Grand Theft Auto or its availability," a spokesperson said. "We deeply regret the error."

When approached for comment, Rockstar pointed us to an "Asked & Answered" session published on the company's Newswire website in July.

"The only versions of the game that we have announced are for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 which are set for a September 17th worldwide release," Rockstar said at the time. "We don't have anything to share about the possibility of a next-gen or a PC platform release at this time and we are completely focused on delivering the best possible experience for the consoles people have right now."

Nearly 600,000 people have signed a Change.org petition calling on Rockstar to release GTA5 on PC. They will get their wish.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-10-sources-grand-theft-auto-5-out-on-pc-early-2014

Yeah, it's past early 2014 now.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a large developer, they sure are taking their sweet-ass time releasing a PC version. And c'mon, if this is a weird business thing, it's retarded, I don't see how a PC version would cannibalize the sales of the console version, most of the masses would still buy it for console instead of pirating it on PC, just like every other game that releases on both.

No kidding considering they've sold what... 20-30 million on consoles already?

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rockstar will release a PC version of Grand Theft Auto 5 in 2014, Eurogamer understands.

Multiple industry sources have indicated the open world game, currently available for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, will come out on PC in the first quarter of 2014.

The release plan mirrors that used for Grand Theft Auto 4, which released on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on 29th April 2008 before launching on PC in December 2008.

A PC release should come as no surprise. In August GPU maker Nvidia's senior director of investor relations Chris Evenden mentioned a PC version of GTA5 during a financial call.

"[PC] gamers are preparing their systems for a strong roster of games coming this fall, including blockbuster franchises such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Grand Theft Auto 5 and Assassin's Creed 4," he said.

After Evenden's quotes were picked up by press, Nvidia issued Eurogamer a statement saying they were made in error. "Nvidia does not have information on any possible PC version release of Grand Theft Auto or its availability," a spokesperson said. "We deeply regret the error."

When approached for comment, Rockstar pointed us to an "Asked & Answered" session published on the company's Newswire website in July.

"The only versions of the game that we have announced are for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 which are set for a September 17th worldwide release," Rockstar said at the time. "We don't have anything to share about the possibility of a next-gen or a PC platform release at this time and we are completely focused on delivering the best possible experience for the consoles people have right now."

Nearly 600,000 people have signed a Change.org petition calling on Rockstar to release GTA5 on PC. They will get their wish.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-10-sources-grand-theft-auto-5-out-on-pc-early-2014

Unless I'm reading it wrong, that's saying that GTA5 won't be coming out to PC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.