Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Likes & Dislikes - The Thread

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Cops' line of sight.

Specific damages to vehicles cause respective handling modifications.

Dislike: Cars seem to have a random tendency to easily and continuously slide as if they were on ice.

Clothes changed by characters themselves

Can't save outfits

Aiming in vehicles moves the camera with the reticles. The camera should be affixed with the vehicle's orientation and the reticles move about the screen.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Likes: Story, Characters, World, Nipples, Soundtrack and Psychedelic Skyfall.

Dislikes: The way vehicle saving works (or doesn't rather), the fragility of the main characters, Michael's useless special ability, and animation problems.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

In regards to the characters changing clothes, I've thought a bit about the problem and I understand both sides of the argument. It would be weird to switch to, for instance, Michael sitting out by the pool and find him wearing his suit or something. But I really hate it when I switch to a character and they have selected an ensemble for themselves that is awful and I'll be damned if I'm not stopping by the house first to change them into something better before carrying on with anything else. Yesterday Franklin showed up wearing a backwards baseball cap. To me that felt totally out of character for him.

So! I have a solution that might work and also fix one of the other common dislikes in this thread: Saveable outfits, same as Saints Row 3 and 4. But also, a toggle in the saved outfits menu that allows to the character to use that oufit when you've switched to them from another character. Only outfits you have turned the toggle on for will be used by the character. That would be good.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Dislikes: Michael's useless special ability, and animation problems.

It's very useful for Free Aim players. As far as I can tell, all the autoaim is meant for a more casual audience than us.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

can't go into Burger shots or restaurants for food/health

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@hunter5024 said:

It's very useful for Free Aim players. As far as I can tell, all the autoaim is meant for a more casual audience than us.

Perhaps. I use autoaim because I can't see the cursor though. It's really small.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Seppli

@hunter5024 said:

@seppli said:

@hunter5024 said:

Perhaps. I use autoaim because I can't see the cursor though. It's really small.

You can change it to *Complex*, which gives you a proper crosshair. A unique crosshair for every type of gun, actually.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

can't go into Burger shots or restaurants for food/health

There was a 7-11 type of store that I was able to enter into. I didn't check if I could get food/health, but I was able to rob the cashier.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@hunter5024 said:

Change it to complex.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geteveryone: Wouldn't be surprised if you heard something from the movie Drive. There is a store in the game where you can actually buy the jacket from Drive. Instead of a gold scorpion on the back its a gold crab I think.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

likes? Way too many. The detail and AI is literally second to none. Just utterly amazing

Dislikes?

-Just did the FIB mission where Trevor meets Franklin and i don't like the way they've handled the relationships of the characters. Franklin and Micheal taking to each other as well/quickly as they did, especially under the circumstances in which they met just seems a lil forced. Trevor clearly feels strongly about the idea that Micheal was alive this whole time but reuniting with Micheal and going to get Micheals daughter just muted the animosity that i was sure Trevor was gonna unleash. Trevor is clearly a bit unstable so i really thought they would atleast come to blows or something. Then trever meeting franklin, he seemed very accepting. Almost too much so. Trevor strikes me as someone who is a bit paranoid and wants to play by his own rules. The idea that his best friend (who he thought was dead for a decade) is bringing some new guy into the fold and just rather calmly going along with everything seemed a bit underwhelming.

-Not being able to get out of your car and leave it running. Seems so simple to remedy which is why it annoys me so. Tap triangle/Y to get out and leave car running. Hold to completely turn off. Ta-da!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

+ The shooting mechanics are tight. Just switch from the default aiming to free-aim or assisted aim.

+ The driving feels great.

+ It looks fucking fantastic.

+ The voice acting is fucking fantastic, as well.

- I hate that you have to stare at the mini-map the whole time while driving. I feel like I don't know the city because of it. Where as in San Andreas, I basically had the city memorized.

- The aiming while in cars. Come on, Rockstar.

- The story? I don't know where this is headed. I just did the second last heist, and it feels like there is no momentum.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#164  Edited By Driadon

Like:

-The atrocious amount of detail in everything

-Dialog and characters feel much more rounded and fleshed out.

-Shooting and cover system works well. Sure, i wish the free aim felt more Max Payne 3 than it does, but it's still very functional and fun.

-Mission checkpoints (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

-Driving is a good mix between the realistic and the arcady. I feel in control when I should, and can do crazy stuff, but it can turn into a wreck at the drop of a hat if I don't pay attention

-Mission variety is still very good, and I feel much more in tune with the theme of the story telling instead of either recycling game ideas or going off the deep end for no good reason.

Dislike:

-Cinematic view for driving is useless, don't know why they kept a dedicated face button for it.

-There's only 1 radio station I actually can stand listening to for longer than a few minutes, which is a huge departure from GTA4. I loved The Journey, Electo-Shoq, LCHC and Liberty Rock, why do we not get that sort of variety instead of the 3-4 hip hop/rap stations?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By stonyman65

I've got about 20 hours in so far, and I'm about 40% complete according to the stats screen

• The story
    • The characters
    • Improved driving mechanics over GTAIV
    • Graphics and art style (runs pretty smooth, looks good. I'm really excited for the PC version)
    • Everything about Trevor as a character
    • The voice acting is fantastic
    • Lazlow's meltdown on the Chatasphere show was fantastic
    • the constant movie and game references are great

Dislikes:

• Lots of shit on the radio that isn't funny at all and the songs suck save for a handful on the rap and rock stations (they need to take a page out of Saint's Row's handbook and get better music/ more variation)
    • Lots of wasted time and effort on things that aren't good and nobody cares about that could've been used towards missions and heists to make the game better (the TV stuff, hanging out with friends, all of the side stuff like tennis or the triathlon)
    • The plane/helicopter handling is horrendously bad. Too jittery. It's just not fun at all.
    • The shooting mechanics are still kind of bad, especially considering what other open-world games are doing now
    • The humor in the game just isn't that funny. There are a few good things, but it mostly just falls on its face
    • Too cliche for it's own good
    • It tries to be too serious for it's own good

Overall I really love the game, but there are enough missteps in it that make me just cringe when they become apparent. Especially after playing something like Saint's Row it just makes it stick out that much more. There's just a lot of stuff in there that falls flat or just isn't fun. It kind of makes me think with all of the good stuff, imagine what they could have done if they left all the crappy stuff out and just focused more on the good stuff. If they did that it'd be amazing.

Edit: sorry for the triple post. The forums are FUCKED.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After beating the game. The thing I dislike the most is flying planes and helicopters. It drives me fucking nuts trying to control those things to put stuff down.

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I beat the game and now I been trying to redo the missions and get gold on them all but it takes so dam long because of the load times and you cant just restart in the middle of a mission if you mess up you're screwed and need to kill yourself to exit the mission and sit in the load screen because that's the only way to exit or restart the mission then you need to pick the mission again and repeat the process and it really sucks when you think you did everything right only to get to the end to find out it was just a big waste of time. so im not even going to bother im just waiting till oct1 im done with the game till then its not worth it lol.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Seppli

@falserelic said:

After beating the game. The thing I dislike the most is flying planes and helicopters. It drives me fucking nuts trying to control those things to put stuff down.

I found it helpful to mess as little as possible with the camera while flying, at least when I'm actively manouvering. At the most looking down for landing with a chopper.

Other than the camera, I found it to be quite functional. Flying planes is spot-on. Roughly how planes fly. I don't know the lingo all too well, but you need to roll into the turn and then pull the stick back, and you can use L1 & R1 for tighter turns, and if you use 'em all on their own, they're great for finetuning your heading.

Choppers are much more limited. Not even near the manouverability of the real thing (and that's a crazy heavy transport chopper). They're choppers though, and choppers are always fun, once you learn to control them. What you need to keep in mind is that it's all about properly manipulating inertia. For example, to slow down and stop you need to pull back until the forward momentum is equalized. And for turns you neet to lean into the direction you're turning. Stuff like that.

I'm sure my words are totally inadequate. Though rest assured, flying both planes and choppers can be great fun, once you've wrapped your head around it. Hell - running weapons with Trevor is the greatest side activity in the game. I can't wait to buy me a Scout Chopper with miniguns. It even got a proper crosshair this time. Too bad stealing it from the military base is pretty much impossible. Fucking stingers.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gotta give it to R* , they can truly do miracles with ancient hardware, got the PS3 version and it looks fantastic, sure the jaggies hurt my eyes, and 30 fps is lame, but still a great accomplishment.

I'm loving everything about the game as it was expected, the 3 characters are awesome, the pacing is perfection, love the driving, kind of a middle term between vice city and IV.

That said it's just more of the same, not saying it's a bad thing, but still...

and seeing as they tippled their investment in 2 days time I'm guessing that's not bound to change...

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@driadon: you will hate the checkpoints when you go back to redo missions that you didn't get gold on if you're that type of person that wants to get gold.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By laserbolts

I only have one dislike since I absolutely love everything else about this game. The one thing that really sucks and was a poor choice by rockstar is to have it so that when you are having a conversation with a passenger while driving it will interrupt the conversation if you hit something. It completely takes me out of what was being said and is handled very poorly. I would rather they acted as if you didn't hit anything and kept on going with their dialogue. Such an annoying thing in an otherwise amazing game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greeeeat my post got double posted and when i tried to delete one of them it deleted both ...

Fuck it, i really can't be arsed retyping all that.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't like the lack of direction you're given as to what to do during or after a precursor to an actual heist.

i also don't like how helicopters handle, even with maxed out flying skills. they handle like total shit.

parachuting is fucking stupid..........when i'm able to do it. when do those things become available at ammunation?

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They needed more proper heists in the game. I mean heists where they let you pick your crew. Outside of a lesser cut, you really have no incentive to pick a shitty crew member if you only have 4-5 opportunities to level them up and use their boosted stats for just one last heist.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#178  Edited By Nekroskop

+Everything else except the points below

- Realistic turbulence which forces the player to reach higher altitudes with planes.

-MONEY PROBLEMS(Missions pay jack shit. Crime doesn't pay, only stock market manipulations and day trading. Clever social commentary or future money-pack DLC?)

-Whining journalists who can't stop click baiting OR have never played a GTA game before.

Other than that it's a pretty damn good game. The soundtrack during missions is also excellent.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Capum15
    @seppli said:
    @falserelic said:

I found it helpful to mess as little as possible with the camera while flying, at least when I'm actively manouvering. At the most looking down for landing with a chopper.

-snip-

I think he refers to the annoying "wobble" they give off every now and then? At least that's my problem with flight in this game.

Planes don't really get effected too badly, but it's still really annoying to correct for and very noticeable even at max flight stat, and same with the choppers - they kinda tilt back and forth randomly without and roll input on my end if I'm just going straight. They tend to do it less if I punch it forward and hold the trigger though.

It's manageable to fly, but annoying. I can fly choppers in basically any other game just fine, like Arma 2/3, because they fly so smoothly (and yet still have weight and physics). Hell, I even found the helicopters in IV to be fine to fly.

I guess that also ties in to the fact that leveling up things seems to do jack all, with the exception of Stamina I suppose.

As for the radio, I haven't listened to the chat station yet, but the only one I seem to like is Soulwax FM or just have it off and use the game's score.

And I wish you were a little bit more durable, but I can deal with the way it is now well enough - body armor really helps. I haven't gotten into many free-roam fist fights since it seems so easy to get a wanted level. First few times I tried just ended up with cops shooting me in the face.

Still, relatively small grievances overall. I'm loving this game quite a bit - I was forced to do the first assassination mission (I was trying to wait until the end) and ended up making 81% profit from the stock market, which I then used to pimp out all the characters personal vehicles. Franklins' car sounds like such a beast now. Got around $130k for Franklin and Trevor each after that stock thing, and it brought Michael up to a little over a million. I love the customization for the guns, and all the ammo you can carry.

I just wish I had more time to keep playing it. I still haven't gotten to the second heist where you actually, you know, get paid and all.

Edit:

- Realistic turbulence which forces the player to reach higher altitudes with planes.

Turbulence! That's the name of the wobble I was trying to think of. You can get rid of it at higher altitudes?

frankiebeanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nekroskop: money is not necessary in the single player I beat the game without buying anything unless I was told to for a mission

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Nekroskop

@frankiebeanz: But buying shit is fun! How else could I afford that 10 million dollar golf course?

@capum15 yes.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By fattony12000

• Looking at the skies at dawn.
    • Looking at the skies at dusk.
    • Looking at the skies in daytime.
    • Looking at the skies in nighttime.
    • Flying through the skies in a plane or helicopter.
    • Driving cars and motorbikes around.
    • Riding bicycles around.
    • Trevor's first few hours of introductory story-based missions alongside the additional missions you can perform as him, and the setting that you play those missions in.
    DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the controls in flying missions. Helicopters controls are especially twitchy, but I guess it's working as intended?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frankiebeanz: But buying shit is fun! How else could I afford that 10 million dollar golf course?

@capum15 yes.

10 million? It is 150 million. At the end you get 37 million for each of them at least I did and I could buy every other estate except the 30 million cinema and the golf club which I really want to have.^^

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Nekroskop

@darji: My bad. It was 150 million. Which is so fucking obscene since you basically have to plan investments from the very beginning of the game to make that even work.

@donmfjohnson I guess it's kinda realistic since you need years to get good at flying a helicopter, even if you ace the flight school and have max flying ability. That still doesn't explain how Trevor, who was in the airforce, but got discharged because of a psych evaluation is just as bad at handling turbulence as Frank and Michael. Maybe it's the meth?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Seppli

I forgot to mention the mirrors! I absolutely adore the mirrors. One of the only games I know with fully functional mirrors throughout the game. For example, The Last of Us had one functional mirror in the game. The one in the prologue. Every other mirror is dull and unreflective. GTA V's mirrors are all working. That's even more impressive in the context of the massive scale of the world. I wonder how many virgins they had to sacrifice to Satan in their office dungeons for this. Black magic!

Oh - and I can't emphasize enough how much I hate how cars/garages/impounds are handled by the game. After the final heist Franklin's Audi R8-A-Like had disappeared from the safehouse garage. It didn't show up at the impound either. Big whoop I thought. I went to my storage garage and made space for a new purchase. I bought a Bugatti-A-Like. It never showed up. Over a million bucks up in smoke. I had to reload the autosave, and then the purchase went trough - but I was still down a million bucks. Shitsticks!

The whole thing is doubly frustrating because vehicle storage works like you'd expect for boats and helicopters and planes. Buy 'em, have 'em saved forever. Why why why can't it be that way for my cars? It's a real shitshow in that regard. I really hope R* patches this. Or at least fixes it for the inevitable PC and Next Gen release, if it's a hardware-limitations related issue.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Seppli

@donmfjohnson said:

I hate the controls in flying missions. Helicopters controls are especially twitchy, but I guess it's working as intended?

I managed to earn all gold stars in flightschool, but I really dislike how the choppers handle too. It's just too finicky. I bought a Scout chopper with the mounted miniguns, and even with Gold-worthy chopper skills, it's just not as fun as it should be controlling them.

Really, a Scout Chopper with mounted miniguns should be the most fun thing ever, but evidently it's not. I wonder if I'll ever see somebody actually control them with anything resembling true mastery. I believe it's nigh impossible to fly 'em with fluidity and grace, and combining both decent manouvering and pinpoint accuracy with the miniguns is something I've to see to believe it's even possible. Until I do, I'll say chopper controls are broken. And even if, playability is just too low to be acceptable really. I really hope they'll do better someday.

Looking at games like the various iterations of Battlefield, which managed to merry playability and authenticity in a way that allows for exact manouvering and pinpoint accuracy, whilst enabling a much broader range of movement, GTA V's chopper controls just don't hold up all too well. It's definitely the least accomplished control scheme in the game.

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Dislike - Bought a suit for a heist and cant wear it outside of the heist

-having to tap to run

-Flying is hard to control

-Switching person and they are with someone and they leave and have no clue who that person is. (I want to know who that woman was Michael was with and what were they talking about because it sounds big)

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: dude, you need that x later in the game because there are so many dudes on screen shooting at you, surviving the gunfight means knowing that you killed a dude and he's not just on the ground shaking it off and gonna start shooting again in a sec.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeydct said:

-having to tap to run

Ugh - if I at least could map it to a bumper. Having to give up camera control to run is such a bummer.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Seppli

@seppli said:

Oh - and I can't emphasize enough how much I hate how cars/garages/impounds are handled by the game. After the final heist Franklin's Audi R8-A-Like had disappeared from the safehouse garage. It didn't show up at the impound either. Big whoop I thought. I went to my storage garage and made space for a new purchase. I bought a Bugatti-A-Like. It never showed up. Over a million bucks up in smoke. I had to reload the autosave, and then the purchase went trough - but I was still down a million bucks. Shitsticks!

The whole thing is doubly frustrating because vehicle storage works like you'd expect for boats and helicopters and planes. Buy 'em, have 'em saved forever. Why why why can't it be that way for my cars? It's a real shitshow in that regard. I really hope R* patches this. Or at least fixes it for the inevitable PC and Next Gen release, if it's a hardware-limitations related issue.

Update. After all that, the second Bugatti, that I pimped up all the way and parked in Franks safehouse garage... well... it got replaced by that Audi R8 that was missing in action.

That's now roughly 2,5 millions lost to random Bugatti disappearance bugs. Such a god damn shame. And once the heists and lester assassinations are done, there's really no quick way to make money anymore. Such a god damn let-down, the car buying and storing is.

One can only hope that it'll be better for GTA Online. Without sound design in terms of persistence of progress, I don't think I'd want to play it all too much.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving how brutal the cops are in later stars. GTA remains to be the only series that makes open world cops interesting to fight and outrun. Just Cause 2....Saints Row...they don't accomplish that.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god this. Also tapping to sprint still is dumb.

But really those are the main two really, which says a lot about how great this game is.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#194  Edited By MEATBALL

I really do hate how easy it is to clip something you didn't notice while in a plane and crash. The amount of times that has messed me up during a flight mission where I was required to fly low is crazy.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

- Yoga....why god why

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By glots

- With this much side-activities crammed into the game, whatever happened to them dance/stand-up clubs from GTA IV? I don't miss any of those dance minigames, but I enjoyed walking through the dancing crow and listen to the music, before getting myself a drink or two. Or watching Ricky Gervais performing on stage. So far I've only been at one club and that was nearly empty and mission-related. Stribclubs aren't really doing it for me.

But like mentioned, the game has plenty of other fun activities to take part in, so I'm not too bummed out by this.

len1444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Shoddy in-car shooting. Not fun at all

- Square tits in the strip club, graphical problems in general

- Not enough heists

- No PC version

- Hardly any settings in the options

+ Huge world

+ Story that intertwines multiple characters, each with their own personality

+ Abilities

+ Parody of everything in real life

+ Lot of filler activities/stuff to do after the game

+ Driving improved from GTA IV

+ Amazing Voice acting

+ The ridiculousness of it all

Game gets 8/10 from me.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By hbkdx12

@laserbolts: I thought this was an amazing touch. Very realistic. If you hit something. They'll abruptly end their sentence and then they will pick up where they left off. Lesser games would have just had the VO completely stop once it was interrupted

I don't mind the TAP X to sprint but i just hate how the sense of speed from sprinting feels non existent. It just feels so slow let alone jogging or walking

I'm further in the game and i still think the way they handle some of the relationships in the game are too forced and almost counter intuitive to how characters are portrayed

To go along with that point, as you get further in the game and the 3 main characters cross paths, the game more and more feels like Micheals story with Franklin and Trevor as side characters which i don't like considering Micheal is my least favorite of the three.

I also hate how you'll frequently drive somewhere that takes you just a handful of seconds to get to but the characters in the car will have a conversation that goes on for minutes. This leads you to either A) go into the blip and miss that extra dialogue or B) drive a few feet from the blip and just idle and wait until the convo is over. Like, i don't understand. Did they really think it would take you minutes to go two blocks over where they felt like it made sense to have the characters have such long dialogue? This kind of stuff needs to be timed/coordinated better in future releases. I don't want to miss out on that dialogue but i also don't want to feel like i have ot literally stop just to get all of it

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe no one's mentioned that Jane Hubert aka aunt Vivian from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air plays aunt Denise in this. I recognised her instantly. Such a good likeness.

SquareTheRoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdg: OMFG. Is that what they fucking meant?! I thought you were supposed to download an app to your smartphone IN THE GAME. And when I couldn't find an appstore I thought I needed to do it through the browser. Fuck man, that explains a whole lot. But it fucking sucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.