Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grim Fandango

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 28, 1998

A LucasArts adventure game that follows skeletal travel agent Manny Calavera's four-year journey across the Land of the Dead in a film-noir-inspired tale of love, betrayal and corruption.

Heads up if you can't run OpenGL 3.3 or higher

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I just found this out tonight, but if like me you thought your slightly older laptop (mine's about three years old or so) could run Grim Fandango Remastered, you might want to check your specs against the required system hardware. That seems like a no-brainer, I know, but given that the game is fifteen years old with a few graphical touch-ups, it's still sort of heartbreaking, especially as this was a gift from my brother.

So I'm throwing this out there as a cautionary tale - the game might be old, but the graphical requirements are pretty modern-ish.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Are you sure your laptop doesn't support OpenGL 3.3? That seems insane for a 3 year old machine considering any GPU worth it's salt released after late 2006 supports it (Basically once DX10 was a thing).

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely sure. It's kind of nuts.

brosef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By brosef

Same thing :( I'll go cry in a corner now.

Update:

After updating my GPU and Sound Drivers everything seems to work fine. My GPU is six years old and even back then it was garbage tier. I can't even imagine what kind of stuff is packed in to your Machine.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing you are running on intel graphics since all GPUs from AMD and Nvidia from 3 years ago support OpenGL 3.3. Intel has really bad OpenGL support across the board.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@noremnants: spot on. I've run into some trouble with it before but didn't realize it was Intel related.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Yeah, the more I play it, the more I think the PC version might've been a bit of an afterthought, which seems crazy for a previously PC-only game like Grim Fandango. Based on the way it was announced, it seems like Sony was the one who really fronted the money for this one (while nary a Disney logo can be found), and I'm sure part of the deal was that the PS4 version has to be top priority at all times. The PC optimization seems kinda lousy, honestly; all the game has to render in real-time are some low-poly character models, and yet when you get more than three or four in a room the frame rate goes all to hell. Not exactly a game-breaking problem in an adventure game, but still.

Also, if you play with a controller, the button prompts are still PS4 square-circle-triangle buttons. That tells you a lot right there.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: It probably was. It sounds like Sony did front most of the cash so I can't exactly blame them for it. I just started Year 3 and it's been rock solid on PS4.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By BonOrbitz

Fuck integrated graphics cards! Unfortunately my laptop has a HD 3000, so I can't play it there. Thankfully it's not my main gaming rig, so I am able to play it in some way. It seems that Double Fine might be addressing that somehow as they continue to optimize the game with updates.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.