Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

The Lincolncast Episode 3: PvP!

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

The Lincolncast Episode 3: PvP!

Hey guys!

For those who don't know, this is the Giant Bomb community's Guild Wars 2 podcast (made by our guild, Lincoln Force). We somehow got around to recording our third official episode last night. (Past episodes here and here)

You can subscribe with the links below (new!);

iTunes | RSS

Streaming Embed (audio only):

Show Notes

Music:“Zombie Nation” by Jose Travieso via Creative Commons License

Featured Members: , , , , ,

Run time: 1:45:44

Topics: A Discussion of Guild Wars 2 PvP

• Structured PvP
    • WvW (vW)
    • Our thoughts on both, how they work, what we'd like to see changed.

Now in an easily-consumable 64kb/s format.

Enjoy! Also, please leave some constructive feedback - email us at TheLincolncast@gmail.com or mention us on Twitter, @TheLincolncast

(Issue already known: Rawson's audio quality is off, can't really fix it more than I have and, in addition, we'll definitely keep it to 5 people or less for future eps)

Subscription:

iTunes | RSS

Direct Download:

Podbean MP3 Direct Download

Direct Download (higher quality alternative):

Uploading.com Download

Mobile Site (for streaming):

Hosted by Podbean

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Really looking forward to hearing some general thoughts on PvP, since I didn't get to touch it in the BWE. I have a couple of nitpicks from watching a bunch of footage.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By shinboy630

Listening to this made me realize I should probably get a new headset or at least a solid desk mic, which makes my wallet a sad panda.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinboy630: Hah, yeah - it's definitely a long, dark rabbit hole to go down. I've sent you a PM which gives my suggestions for good desk mics and headsets.

Rawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rawson

Sorry for having shitty audio quality. Turns out that using a low-pass filter to get rid of background noise isn't a very effective means of recording.

Hopefully all will be resolved when I get my hands on a big, beautiful Blue Yeti microphone some time this week.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay! Finally! We've been approved for iTunes (as crazy as that sounds), so you iDevice users out there can get your subscribed podcasting on. I also have an RSS feed, so that's a viable alternative for Android users too (eg. using DoggCatcher, which is what I use).

iTunes page: http://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/guild-wars-2-the-lincolncast/id527037809

Direct iTunes link

RSS feed: http://selfconfessedcynic.podbean.com/feed/

@Rawson: Awesome. For those who don't know, that is what Dourin and I use on this episode and is a great overall mic.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah, there's already 85 subs on iTunes - I may have to start paying for podcast hosting...

Elitespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Elitespy

I really enjoy the podcast, but I would recommend doing more research during the week before going live. I wanna just call in while I am at work and tell you "NO that's not how that works" but I can't, haha. That would be my only criticism of the show though, you guys are entertaining to listen to. There are a lot of other places out there to get information. Keep up the good work.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Better yet, y'all can just open up the wiki before you podcast to answer any questions you have. That thing is pretty expansive. :P

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elitespy: @Dark_Lord_Spam:

Haha *scratches head* I guess you guys are right. Well, to be honest, some of us just don't have the time for extended research - for example, Dourin has kids and is part of another podcast as well, in addition to starting up a twitch tv channel and looking for a new job, I've been working 7 till 7 for the last couple of weeks and Noob just kindof sucks : )

But I'm so happy to finally get some feedback! I'm also happy to hear someone at least enjoys this thing we're putting out.

Perhaps, considering we may not have the time to get up to speed / get to where we probably should be for this, y'all can post some corrections and clarifications here? I've always liked that segment of the Hotspot (R.I.P.) "Corrections, clarifications and apologies", and have been planning to blatantly steal the idea for this podcast if we ever got feedback.

Oh, and you can also email us at TheLincolncast@gmail.com or PM me here.

ED: Oh, and we're at like 130 iTunes subs, so yeah, I'll be moving to a paid plan - podbean is pretty cheap, so I'll cover it for now.

ED2: *adds our email and twitter to the OP*

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bell_End

i live in a town in the UK called lincoln, so everytime i see your podcast i think its about where i live... but its not.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dourin

Yeah, to be honest, the pvp podcast may not have been the best introduction for me to the show, as I only spent a few hours in WvWvWvWvWvW(vW) and maybe 2 rounds in structured pvp. I spent most of the weekend taking in all of the glorious events, though! I agree with

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dourin: Haha - well, I got you on because I know we both did enough of WvW to talk about it intelligently. Beyond that, everyone who was on had done at least a bit of Structured, so I was hoping for us to cover eachother's gaps, which we did rather well imo.

The main thing is, I'm trying to get guys from the guild on, and we're very limited in terms of when we can record, so a lot of guys who knew more about Structured just couldn't do it (or just don't want to put their opinions on show for everyone to poke at, which is understandable).

Oh, and @Elitespy, I'm honoured that talking about our little podcast was your first post here.

Elitespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Elitespy

Yeah, I usually just lurk around forums, but I like the podcast and GW2, so just wanted to help out.

One thing from last episode, when you guys were talking about performance. Anet came out on their facebook and twitter and set that this build of GW2 was only using the processor and not the GPU, so if you had a great CPU and a crappy GPU the game would still run fine, but a great GPU and a mediocre CPU it wouldn't run to great.

Oh and the Potion's thing, there will be none in GW2, they had mana pots in an old build but they ended up just taking mana out and so no need for it.

I am in the middle of listening to the PvP podcast right now, you guys are hilarious btw.

Elitespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Elitespy

Man, I want to start a discussion about this podcast but I am at work, will write something when I get home. I disagree with multiple points that were brought up, so this will be fun.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elitespy: Oh cool : )

For the sake of your first point, I'd like to note that we address the CPU issue in episode 1 at around 51 mins where we talk about performance in general and move on to CPUs at around 53 mins (this ep isn't in the iTunes stream because it's on another host, and I don't want to add it now because we're close to our bandwidth limit - almost 50 gigs already gone >_>). I try not to have us retread things we've gone over before, and I was with pretty much the same cast for ep 2.

As for potions, GW1 didn't have potions, you're right, but they did have party foods (ie candy canes) and other consumables which served the same purpose at about 3-4 years after release and became quite a thing for use in hard mode and the underworld. Also, they considered using potions in GW2 before changing their minds about a year ago - but as to what we actually said about consumables in GW2, I don't remember when that was or what we said hahaha.

I'd love to hear what we said wrong so I can include that in the next show - and happy to hear that our ramblings are amusing : )

Elitespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Elitespy

Oh it's nothing you said wrong, I knew about the candy canes and stuff in GW1, I played it for awhile. Somebody in the podcast just asked if they had seen health pots in GW2, and nobody knew, so I was just throwing that in.

In this podcast I just disagreed on a lot of the PvP points that people had brought up that they though were broken and whatnot.

(I never listened to the first podcast cause I coudn't find it on I-Tunes, so that's my fault.)

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Elitespy: Aw : (

I was looking forward to doing corrections on the podcast, haha

Well, if you hear anything factually incorrect, shout them our direction - and I'm looking forward to reading your points on PvP. Would you mind if we read them out on the next show? (should be recorded within the next 36 hours)

Elitespy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Elitespy

I don't mind at all.. I am at work, but it's slow so I'll throw one in there anyway.

Traveling in WvW is just how it should be, there should be a penalty to dying in WvW other than armor. It makes more of an impact if you die you have to run all the way back to the battle. If there were waypoints right there where you were, or close by you would be able to take a keep easily with reinforcements coming in one after an other. If you have to run all the way back it gives the guys defending time to regroup and reinforce what they need. Also each keep can have a way point in it, it just have to be upgraded for the right amount of gold. The waypoint in stonemist castle was there on my server. It was contested most of the time but it was there. Here is a screenshot from the wiki to show ya http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Stonemist_Castle.jpg.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those are some great notes, I'll definitely try to remember to talk about them on the show.

Oh, and I have upgraded to an unlimited podcast plan (quite cheap on podbean), so the missing episode 1 should be up within the next day. Enjoy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.