Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 28, 2005

Guild Wars is a 'competitive online role-playing game' developed by ArenaNet and published by NCsoft, notable for instanced, skilled play and for being one of the first games of its time without a subscription fee.

Are there people still playing the original Guild Wars?

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Goly

I mean the very very first one, because I'm interested in getting into this game again and I wanna start from the beginning. Thanks for your answers in advance.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Absurd

Yes, although It feels a little empty since the population is spread across so many campaigns.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By asurastrike
    @Goly said:
    " I mean the very very first one, because I'm interested in getting into this game again and I wanna start from the beginning. Thanks for your answers in advance. "
    I am going to be completely honest with you, don't buy Guild Wars. You will spend most of the time playing by yourself in your own instanced zone, and you will hit the level cap of 20 very quickly.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Absurd
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Goly said:
    " I mean the very very first one, because I'm interested in getting into this game again and I wanna start from the beginning. Thanks for your answers in advance. "
    I am going to be completely honest with you, don't buy Guild Wars. You will spend most of the time playing by yourself in your own instanced zone, and you will hit the level cap of 20 very quickly. "
    The game isn't about level caps...
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#6  Edited By tearhead

I played Guild Wars for a good three years since it was released. I stopped playing for like a year, but now I'm back into it to finish up EotN for GW2. As to if people are still playing the first GW (Prophecies), it obviously isn't as populated as it once was. You might probably have problems from time to time finding other humans to play with, but it has a good system to bring NPC henchmen along with you if you wanna solo it.

@Asurastrike:
    In relation to what Asurastrike said, yes, you do hit the level cap fairly quickly, but GW is not a grinding type of game. Don't think that once you hit lv 20 your done. There will be tons of missions/quests to do and lots of skills to acquire. The only thing that hitting the lv cap means is that you have obtained all the "attribute points" to customize your character in anyway you want :)

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By asurastrike
    @Tearhead said:
    " I played Guild Wars for a good three years since it was released. I stopped playing for like a year, but now I'm back into it to finish up EotN for GW2. As to if people are still playing the first GW (Prophecies), it obviously isn't as populated as it once was. You might probably have problems from time to time finding other humans to play with, but it has a good system to bring NPC henchmen along with you if you wanna solo it.

@Asurastrike: In relation to what Asurastrike said, yes, you do hit the level cap fairly quickly, but GW is not a grinding type of game. Don't think that once you hit lv 20 your done. There will be tons of missions/quests to do and lots of skills to acquire. The only thing that hitting the lv cap means is that you have obtained all the "attribute points" to customize your character in anyway you want :) "
    I found that the game lost steam once I hit the level cap. The game didn't have a good enough story or narrative to keep me engaged, and without the carrot on the stick of leveling keeping me going, I quit playing.
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#8  Edited By tearhead
    @Asurastrike: 
    Complete opposite for me. Prophecies had a great story imo, and nothing really changed when I reached the level cap, so I can't relate to the "losing steam" thing. I was never like "Damn! I can't earn anymore attribution points, this sucks!" The story kept me motivated to continue, and obtaining more skills to create different builds kept me interested. After I finished the story I then got into PvP, which is also a ton of fun if you join the right guild.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that an easily obtainable level cap means faster development of multiple characters.
    Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Skogen

Simply put, No. 

While you can play it as a single player game, it doesn't hold up nearly as well. Grouping is essentially obsolete due to the inclusion of "Heroes" and people who are seeking real players are usually looking for a specific skillset that involves having all the content. It was a fantastic game in its prime when the alliance system was initially introduced and competition was plenty for the Guild versus Guild (GvG) PvP platform. Realistically there is just too much to catch up on for a new player and it can be a bit overwhelming if you're looking to delve straight into it.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Dauragon

I'd probably still be playing it if I hadn't switched to linux

Psyx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Psyx2

Yes, there's still plenty of people. Not as many as it used to have, but there's still a good number of players in the original.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#12  Edited By citizenkane
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

There definitely are.  It's still an excellent game.

devosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By devosion

Mostly spend my time in NightFall or EoTN, but I can be found in Prophecies and Factions from time to time.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The game definitely isn't widely played anymore, finding parties to do many of the missions can be difficult.
    A lot of people still log on to chat and title grind, but mostly for the holiday events.  Whenever Christmas or Halloween roll around, the servers are packed with people waiting for their one time only hats.

If you're just looking to play through the game again, you can probably manage, especially if you join one of the larger guilds.
    But for new players who might be interested in getting into the game?  I'd honestly just wait for GW2 at this point.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Lunarbunny
    @Dauragon said:

" I'd probably still be playing it if I hadn't switched to linux "

Guild Wars runs fine in Wine, although visuals are a bit buggy unless you run using -dx8

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.