Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 28, 2010

The sixth core entry in Activision's Guitar Hero series represents the last entry developed by Neversoft.

Rush, A Free Soundgarden CD, And More In This Year's Guitar Hero

• 126 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

The new guitar's flipper feels great and it's all very lightweight. It seems ready for thrashing.
     The new guitar's flipper feels great and it's all very lightweight. It seems ready for thrashing.
    Activision held an event last week to show off its upcoming music game lineup--which you'll note has shrunk significantly compared to last year's mess of music releases--and I took that opportunity to play through Rush's "2112" in Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. For those who don't follow Rush closely enough to actually know what that is, it's over 20 minutes of music, an epic story about a guy who finds a guitar that sets off some sort of huge galactic conflict. It spreads across seven different songs, and in-game, you'll encounter it all at once. You'll also encounter it like you've never encountered it before.

The developers brought in members of Rush and had them record a reading of the album's liner notes--which further delve into the story of "2112." These new audio sequences pop up between the seven pieces of music, giving you a brief time to pause before heading into the next section. All the while, the background venue is a huge cavern with a guitar stuck, partially buried in rock. Headless dudes and other decidedly rocking avatars show up when it's time to perform. It feels like the piece, which shows up around halfway through the game's all-new story mode, has been treated with far more care than just about anything that's shown up in Guitar Hero in years. Put another way, don't expect to see four Gwen Stefanis or four Kurt Cobains singing and playing Rush's material.

All this feels like a departure from what Guitar Hero has been over the last couple of years, but to hear Neversoft describe it, it starts to sound more like a return to form. The developer claims that it's the spiritual successor to Guitar Hero III, Neversoft's first game in the franchise, which had a harder edge than the two games that followed it. Sure enough, Warriors of Rock's announced tracklist seems to stay away from much of the "softer" stuff that garnished the last two games, like Duran Duran, Beastie Boys, or Jimmy Eat World.

No Caption Provided
    Of course, it's all still Guitar Hero. The gameplay felt identical to me, though the music is wrapped around a new quest mode where you unlock special powers for the various Guitar Hero characters. This leads to much higher scores and multipliers than you could get in the previous games, though none of that felt especially interesting to me. 40 stars per song seems like overkill, and I don't think I've cared about Axel Steel and his posse since GH2, but then I'm far more interested in things like getting 95% or more on each song or just, you know, playing the songs that I actually like to listen to. As someone who has wildly varied (and generally poor, depending on who you ask) taste in music, the focused nature of GH6's tracklist really works against it. Of course, you might be different. Perhaps this is right up your alley. Such is the nature of the modern rhythm game.

Another interesting little bit about Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock was announced today. In addition to the song "Black Rain," which appears on-disc, the first run of the game will come with 12 Soundgarden songs, which constitutes the band's "Telephantasm," a new greatest hits compilation. The tracks come in two forms, both as in-game content and as a simple "compact disc" that you can listen to in any "compact disc player." This package is hitting stores one week before the CD is available on its own.

While I can't say that I'm dying to play most of the songs on the Warriors of Rock soundtrack, hearing more about the developer's purity of focus at least makes it sound like a more interesting project than last year's slew of Guitar Hero-branded products. 2112 alone is probably the most authentic and cool thing that's hit Guitar Hero in years. It feels like the sort of game that will definitely find an audience, but it's probably not for me unless the DLC takes the game in an entirely different direction. That's... not especially likely.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

Activision held an event last week to show off its upcoming music game lineup--which you'll note has shrunk significantly compared to last year's mess of music releases--and I took that opportunity to play through Rush's "2112" in Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock. For those who don't follow Rush closely enough to actually know what that is, it's over 20 minutes of music, an epic story about a guy who finds a guitar that sets off some sort of huge galactic conflict. It spreads across seven different songs, and in-game, you'll encounter it all at once. You'll also encounter it like you've never encountered it before.

The developers brought in members of Rush and had them record a reading of the album's liner notes--which further delve into the story of "2112." These new audio sequences pop up between the seven pieces of music, giving you a brief time to pause before heading into the next section. All the while, the background venue is a huge cavern with a guitar stuck, partially buried in rock. Headless dudes and other decidedly rocking avatars show up when it's time to perform. It feels like the piece, which shows up around halfway through the game's all-new story mode, has been treated with far more care than just about anything that's shown up in Guitar Hero in years. Put another way, don't expect to see four Gwen Stefanis or four Kurt Cobains singing and playing Rush's material.

All this feels like a departure from what Guitar Hero has been over the last couple of years, but to hear Neversoft describe it, it starts to sound more like a return to form. The developer claims that it's the spiritual successor to Guitar Hero III, Neversoft's first game in the franchise, which had a harder edge than the two games that followed it. Sure enough, Warriors of Rock's announced tracklist seems to stay away from much of the "softer" stuff that garnished the last two games, like Duran Duran, Beastie Boys, or Jimmy Eat World.

No Caption Provided
    Of course, it's all still Guitar Hero. The gameplay felt identical to me, though the music is wrapped around a new quest mode where you unlock special powers for the various Guitar Hero characters. This leads to much higher scores and multipliers than you could get in the previous games, though none of that felt especially interesting to me. 40 stars per song seems like overkill, and I don't think I've cared about Axel Steel and his posse since GH2, but then I'm far more interested in things like getting 95% or more on each song or just, you know, playing the songs that I actually like to listen to. As someone who has wildly varied (and generally poor, depending on who you ask) taste in music, the focused nature of GH6's tracklist really works against it. Of course, you might be different. Perhaps this is right up your alley. Such is the nature of the modern rhythm game.

Another interesting little bit about Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock was announced today. In addition to the song "Black Rain," which appears on-disc, the first run of the game will come with 12 Soundgarden songs, which constitutes the band's "Telephantasm," a new greatest hits compilation. The tracks come in two forms, both as in-game content and as a simple "compact disc" that you can listen to in any "compact disc player." This package is hitting stores one week before the CD is available on its own.

While I can't say that I'm dying to play most of the songs on the Warriors of Rock soundtrack, hearing more about the developer's purity of focus at least makes it sound like a more interesting project than last year's slew of Guitar Hero-branded products. 2112 alone is probably the most authentic and cool thing that's hit Guitar Hero in years. It feels like the sort of game that will definitely find an audience, but it's probably not for me unless the DLC takes the game in an entirely different direction. That's... not especially likely.
    Dr_VonBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dr_VonBoogie

sweet

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By swoxx

Hey that ain't so bad actually, I'm going for RB3 still though

JarenFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By JarenFace

I'm sort of looking forward to this, even with the slack the GH franchise is getting thee days.

mrblop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By mrblop

God dammit, I'm going to have to buy this game just for 2112.

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dutch42
    @swoxx said:
    " Hey that ain't so bad actually, I'm going for RB3 still though "
    my sentiments exactly
    Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Crono11

I really really really hope that Burnin For You by Blue Oyster Cult makes its way to Rock Band. That's the song I want most in the game and it pains me to see GH getting it first. But good on them for making me actually think about buying a GH game again.

MrGtD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By MrGtD

Nothing is more authentic than 2112.

OMGTSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OMGTSN

This is gonna be pretty sweet.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Burns09

2112. Best. Song. Ever.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By TheKing

Meh... Everything Activision does now rubs me the wrong way. RB3.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By endaround

So is Daft Punk in the game?

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Th3_James

I can't play this......I would just feel like a douche

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By VicRattlehead

ill take the free soundgarden cd please.... you can keep your guitar hero

Victor018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Victor018

Dammit, Rush is making me buy a Guitar Hero game.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Erik

GH still sucks

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman

As someone who has wildly varied (and generally poor, depending on who you ask) taste in music, the focused nature of GH6's tracklist really works against it.    

Yes. Quoted for absolute truth. 

Although I'll admit 2112 is an amazing addition. It's truly a shame it's wasted on a Guitar Hero game. I'm sure it will come to Rock Band at some point as well. I believe Geddy even said as much in a random interview.
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#18  Edited By falconer

I pray this hits RB3 eventually. Otherwise, I must purchase for the Rush...

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5004a3f1624
    deactivated-5f5004a3f1624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phew. Scared me for a second.

I read that title and thought that the only way to get that Soundgarden CD was to buy Warriors of Rock. Thanks for the heads-up, Giant Bomb.

RedFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By RedFive

Rock Band 3 will get most of my music game money this year, but this game actually sounds kind of sweet.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GunnBjorn

I'm so, só done with these games! 
    ALMIGHTYCHEEKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ALMIGHTYCHEEKS

as long as its better than the last 2 in the series ill give it a try

Saijobob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Saijobob

How many guitar hero games are coming out this year?
    Dooops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Dooops

You wonder if Guitar Hero will still be able to compete with lack of innovation....
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ajamafalous

Nothing is more authentic than 2112.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Binman88
    @VicRattlehead said:
    " ill take the free soundgarden cd please.... you can keep your guitar hero "
    haha, same. Though if it's just a greatest hits collection, I most likely already have all the songs.

Nice to see Soundgarden's reunion going well and getting deals like this. Hoping they'll eventually play in Ireland so I can finally see them live.
    perullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By perullo

"Brief pauses" between the seven sections in 2112?  I say man up and power through it!  Woo!

TheYear20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By TheYear20XX

As long as Rusty Cage is in Rock Band 3 I will resist this temptation.

EndrzGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EndrzGame

Sold! I'm a HUGE Rush fan. I went with RB2 last time around because they were getting all the Rush love. Looks like I'll be picking this up when it drops.

TheAnim8r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheAnim8r

Guitar Hero and Rock Band are fun/great games, but I agree with some that the games have run their course.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By birchman

Looks better. 

Finally.

Rodigee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rodigee

And no Jeff Bridges?

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By bulletstorm

Instead of paying 60+ dollars on Guitar Hero 6, why not just idk... buy 2112 again and listen to album? 

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Looks good, but I'm still going to buy Rock Band 3 over this.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By eirikr

Aw, no Subdivisions.

BeauNER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BeauNER

I'm still more excited about Rock Band 3.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By FreakAche

I like Rush, but if in the future I ever buy another music game, I only see myself buying one that's made by Harmonix.

brian3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By brian3d

Don't. Like. GH.

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WOWOMGOMFGBBQGGPO

katanasquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By katanasquirrel

I'm thinking that I'm glad that Harmonix is going all out with Rock Band 3 since they'll get  to go out their own way.  I just can't see any more of these games being worth a full retail price.

Meeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By Meeka

Allways the same shit ... I'm getting bored of all that stuff !
    Grandement ennuyeux, tout ça ...

WolfmanJenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WolfmanJenkins

As awesome as playing the entirety of 2112 sounds, it still not worth a purchase. I'm definitely going to be renting this.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Afroman269

Still don't care for this game. Same gameplay just with new glossy paint. Can't wait for RB 3.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Wait, does that mean those other 12 Soundgarden songs are playable? If so, then there's nothing stopping me from buying this game as soon as frickin' possible. 

HeadNodShy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HeadNodShy

Nothing is more authentic then 2112

Avatar image for americanpegasus
    AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AmericanPegasus

Interesting

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By JJOR64

The developer claims that it's the spiritual successor to Guitar Hero III,

I did enjoy GH3 a lot.  Hmm...  Maybe I will get this when the price drops.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By animateria

Too bad it's in fucking Guitar Hero.

I can care less.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By carlthenimrod

It should include a voucher for Guitar Hero: Van Halen 2 also.

Beanz122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Beanz122

Eh, I think they are just trying to get people to buy their product instead of Rock Band. Not the first time It's happened.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.