Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

When do I get to the part where this game gets good?

• 160 results
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ventilaator

Note that I didn't discover this game now and it's somehow gotten old, I've tried to like this game for several years, but have always given up due to nothing interesting happening. Picked it up again now. 

I just got through Ravenholm and to the mines and so far this supposedly unbelievably amazing game with a deep story, brilliant puzzles, believable enemy AI and hyper-realistic characters is a completely average FPS with absolutely no story at all (YOU NEED TO GET THERE. Okay you're here? YOU NEED TO GET OVER THERE NOW) with mostly really ANNOYING enemies.

The puzzles so far haven't tested my intelligence, but rather have proved to me that this game, indeed, does have physics.

So is this kind of like a FFXIII-like situation where the last few hours aren't terrible and that somehow makes it okay? Does anyone have a specific point I should reach before passing final judgment on this game?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

It's probably not for you.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By ComradeKritstov

If you think there is no story you aren't paying attention. 

Play the game to completion and then pass judgement.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Arker101
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    "It's probably not for you. "

Yeah, I too tried to enjoy the half-life series, but I just couldn't get into it. 

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ventilaator
    @Arker101 said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    Yeah, I too tried to enjoy the half-life series, but I just couldn't get into it.   "
    Speaking of which, I played Half-Life 1 to completion and loved it.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arker101
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @Arker101 said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    Yeah, I too tried to enjoy the half-life series, but I just couldn't get into it.   "
    Speaking of which, I played Half-Life 1 to completion and loved it. "

I only ever played the Orange Box, so I can't comment on the 1st one, but the second just didn't feel fun for me. 
    I had wiki-ed the story of the first, but the story just couldn't pull me along.
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ventilaator
    @ComradeKritstov said:

" If you think there is no story you aren't paying attention. "

I am paying attention because I love if I get a great story with my game but this is a completely average FPS with an occasional NPC going OH MY GOOD LOOK EVERYONE IT'S GORDON FREEMAN in your face.
    necrotoxin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By necrotoxin

I find it very hard to believe you loved HL1, but don't care for HL2. 

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ventilaator
    @Necrotoxin said:
    " I find it very hard to believe you loved HL1, but don't care for HL2.  "
    I swear it's 100% true though.

Although the story was still completely nonexistent "Aliens, aah!!", it was still an enjoyable shooter all the way through.
     Half-Life 2 still has no story, and it's not even been a very enjoyable shooter so far
    VideoGameMobes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By VideoGameMobes

You're not really catching the story because it's not telling you it in your face, you have to figure out what's going on and piece locations, character dialogue and other potential story-driven thing in the game together to get a picture. That's the genius of the Half-Life games, you're not told the story of the game in a little dialogue box, the whole story happens in the whole world or something.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " It's probably not for you. "
    An intelligent, well formed and incredibly on point response. All is not bad on the internet....
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ventilaator
    @BenLaserlove said:
    " You're not really catching the story because it's not telling you it in your face, you have to figure out what's going on and piece locations, character dialogue and other potential story-driven thing in the game together to get a picture. That's the genius of the Half-Life games, you're not told the story of the game in a little dialogue box, the whole story happens in the whole world or something. "
    The first 30 minutes kinda had a story with the whole Combine overlordship thing going on, but then I got a gun and went into the sewers to whack some headcrabs, so yeah.

Shit's deep.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Rockanomics

If your not having fun yet stop playing.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It's kinda weird that you liked the first game but not this one, all I can say is if it's not clicked with you yet it's probably not going to but it might be worth playing it to completion so you have the story wrapped up for yourself.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#15  Edited By Icemael

Half-Life 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but... whoever told you it had an great story and amazing puzzles is full of shit.

I love it for one reason: the scenarios. You go from escaping from and fighting a helicopter while riding a fan-boat to firing saw blades at zombies in a creepy ghost town to driving a dune buggy across a giant insect-infested beach, and there's never a dull moment -- as soon as you start getting tired of whatever it is you happen to be doing at the moment, you're put in a new, exciting situation.

If you aren't into it after Ravenholm, it's probably not for you though.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ventilaator
    @Icemael said:
    " Half-Life 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but... whoever told you it had an great story and amazing puzzles is full of shit.. "
    Oh you mean, every single reviewer who played it?
    Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @ComradeKritstov said:

" If you think there is no story you aren't paying attention. "

I am paying attention because I love if I get a great story with my game but this is a completely average FPS with an occasional NPC going OH MY GOOD LOOK EVERYONE IT'S GORDON FREEMAN in your face. "
    @BenLaserlove said:
    " You're not really catching the story because it's not telling you it in your face, you have to figure out what's going on and piece locations, character dialogue and other potential story-driven thing in the game together to get a picture. That's the genius of the Half-Life games, you're not told the story of the game in a little dialogue box, the whole story happens in the whole world or something. "
    This.  

Aren't you curious who the g-man is? How exactly the seven hour war went down? What about the teleportation technology race?
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Raymayne
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " Half-Life 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but... whoever told you it had an great story and amazing puzzles is full of shit.. "
    Oh you mean, every single reviewer who played it? "
    Burned.
    VideoGameMobes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VideoGameMobes
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @BenLaserlove said:
    The first 30 minutes kinda had a story with the whole Combine overlordship thing going on, but then I got a gun and went into the sewers to whack some headcrabs, so yeah.  Shit's deep. "
    Just because you go kill some dudes on the way to the next point of the story doesn't mean the story's awful. Story is not just dialogue.
    Navyseils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Navyseils

I loved it, and episodes one and two. I find it to be a good, fun shooter and the story and characters are ones which stand out to me. The Vance family in particular I cared a great deal about. The physics based puzzles were never difficult, just impressive for the time and didn't age as well as the rest. Nowadays stacking bricks on a see-saw to reach a higher ledge isn't quite the feat it was then. 

I tried to get one of my best friends into it, and she hated it. She wanted to play, and gave it repeated attempts just cause of how much I liked it, so she wanted to see what the fuss was about. In the end, she didn't make much further than Ravenholm. Just not for her.  

So yeah, to mirror what others have said, it's probably just not your thing. If it's not sucked you in thus far, I doubt it will. 

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GunslingerPanda

If you don't like it by now, you won't like it. I've always thought of Half-Life 2 like this:
    The first half of the game is literally the best game ever made. The second half of the game is a bag of shit. Well, the turning point might not be exactly halfway through, but yeah, it goes from best game to worst game ever in the space of time it takes to introduce a new mechanic.

Also, there was a story?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Icemael
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @Icemael said:
    Indeed.

The same thing happened to Uncharted 2. "Amazing story" my ass. It's more of a mess than Indy and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RsistncE
    @BenLaserlove said:
    This. 

There's so much story it's practically bursting out of the game, the thing is if you're not in the one bit curious or interested in exploring the environment, it will seem like there is no story whatsoever. Additionally if you can't pick up obvious weird things that happen (MULTIPLE G-MAN SIGHTINGS MUCH?) then you're probably pretty oblivious also.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Icemael said:
    " @Ventilaator said:
    " @Icemael said:
    Indeed.The same thing happened to Uncharted 2. "Amazing story" my ass. It's more of a mess than Indy and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. "
    Just because you guys disagree doesn't make it true.  Many people believe the opposite of what you guys are saying and many people agree.  It's all subjective.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RsistncE
    @Icemael: Let me guess, the only stories you like come from Japan right? Oh wait, I didn't just say that.
    WildFloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By WildFloyd

The half life series is a god damn masterpiece, you really have to play them all to appreciate the bits of story you pick up from each game. I think its a bit late to be trying to get into them now - i had to get through half life one quite a few years after it came out to catch up and it was a proper slog but it was worth it.

Or just maybe its not your thing...

God forbid everyone doesn't appreciate every well rated thing ever!!!?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Icemael
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Icemael: Let me guess, the only stories you like come from Japan right? Oh wait, I didn't just say that. "
    Oh look, it's the guy who thinks I'm a Japanophile again.

I've played exactly one Japanese game with a story I'd consider good. But nice try.
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

It's more of how the game's universe is set up, the atmosphere, and how the story is told rather than the story itself, though I do still find the story to be good. The game just does a great job of making you feel like a smaller part of something much bigger, and it's interesting seeing everything slowly unfold as you play. The puzzles are really there to break up the action and to demonstrate the physics, but the game as a whole is excellently paced and you're almost constantly being faced with different scenarios. The game is amazing from beginning to end, you just have to be in to what it has to offer.

@GunslingerPanda said:

" If you don't like it by now, you won't like it. I've always thought of Half-Life 2 like this: The first half of the game is literally the best game ever made. The second half of the game is a bag of shit. Well, the turning point might not be exactly halfway through, but yeah, it goes from best game to worst game ever in the space of time it takes to introduce a new mechanic.

Except that Nova Prospekt, fighting in the streets, all the Strider battles, and everything in between are fucking fantastic. Worst game ever? Hardly.
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By FourWude

It's a very good game. Saying that the Half Life series is overrated as a pinnacle of videogaming when the reality is that it is merely an innovative FPS with a genuinely well crafted FPS game world. There are some holes in the story, the shooting mechanics aren't the best, some of the guns feel quite weak, there are annoying platform elements which don't quite hold up, the game world doesn't quite feel as cohesive as you first believe and the sound in the game is almost too minimal most of the time for it to make any lasting impact.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Geno

I found that only the last 10% or so of HL2 was any good, the Episodes are a bit tighter in terms of the experience.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree, I'm 10 hours in and so far I haven't liked it.  Shooting is mediocre for me and I don't find the story compelling or the puzzles one bit compelling.  I can see why others would like it, but I don't find anything about it fun.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wunder_

wat

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

The first time I played Half-Life 2 I thought it wasincredibely boring and tedious. Just power throughand beat it. Somehow when I finished it though the thought in my head that is was an amazing game set in. 

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RsistncE
    @Icemael: I don't know, I thought it was pretty witty.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By august

The game hasn't aged very well (particularly the physics puzzles and some of the vehicle stuff), but there are still some amazing bits. Like Nova Prospekt and fighting in the streets. 

And yes, there is story, it's told in a very oblique way. You should be paying attention and wondering things like: why is everyone expecting me? who payed for my "services" and what was the price they paid? what was Breen's previous relationship with the rest of the cast and why has he gone over to the other side?

If you just want someone in your earpiece giving you exposition the whole game, yes you are going to be disappointed.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pinworm45

when the menu loads

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icemael
    @RsistncE: It would've been, if I actually was a Japanophile.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By zombie2011

Episode 2. 

I didn't like Half-Life 2 or Episode 1, but i thought Episode 2 was alright.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ventilaator
    @august said:

"  You should be paying attention and wondering things like:  "

Oh, like Lost then? Unexplained questions don't make a good story, you also need satisfactory answers or the whole thing is a gigantic waste of time.

G-man's identity is still unexplained, and that's even after Episodes 1 and 2, with 3 being what Duke Nukem Forever was, so I won't know any more about the story of this thing after just playing Half-Life 2
    Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Meltac

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!

russcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By russcat
    @Ventilaator: 
     I'm finding myself in the same situation. I played through the original Half-Life at least 4 or 5 times. It had so many awesome and memorable moments - the intro where you could interact with all the scientists, the mine cart rides, using the rocket to blast the blind, giant spiky tentacle monster, the moment of realization that the military were there to kill everyone in black mesa instead of help them... I loved it. 

So far  Half Life 2 hasn't lived up to its predecessor for me. It has definitely had some cool moments; Ravenholm in general I enjoyed, while I have been finding the vehicle sections a drag. 

It hasn't felt as epic as the first one, at least not yet. I'm on my second attempt at a playthrough.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Half-Life 2 makes more of an effort to marginalize the "whats" and "whos" and "whys" of the narrative. And that's a product of there simply being no fucking time to deal with that. What you need to know is exactly what you've expressed: Shit's bad, and you're almost always on the run as a result.  

That said, the narrative is there, but it's told through extremely non-traditional methods. Dr. Breen's propaganda. Newspaper clippings posted on the walls of buildings. Dialogue between soldiers. That shit's all there. You kind of have to give yourself over to the game, though. It's not going to do any work for you. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I thought it got good as soon as I got an achievement for chucking a soda can at a security guard's head. I thought it got great early on once I had to survive that escape sequence.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ventilaator
    @TimAllen624 said:
    " The first time I played Half-Life 2 I thought it wasincredibely boring and tedious. Just power throughand beat it. Somehow when I finished it though the thought in my head that is was an amazing game set in.  "
    And then I'll think "Hey, that game was pretty awesome, right? I should probably play it again" and then I'll play it again and remember how it wasn't all that amazing.

Sounds like a great idea.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Ventilaator:
    What're you playing it on? I first played The Orange Box to completion on PS3 and liked it... not quite understanding the ridiculous hype, though. It wasn't until I just decided to wander back to it on the PC a couple years later that I was struck by its lasting charm. Even now, I'll get really far into it, then get distracted and never finish it. I still think it lives up to the hype. It's all bout how you interpret the hype. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen anyone out there going. "OMG THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER," as is done with Halo, Call of Duty, etc., on a regular basis. 

And to answer your question; It grabbed me pretty quickly. Really got me with its tight physics at the start. Got really interested during the initial break-away, right after the failed teleport. I actually hate Ravenholm. It seems really daunting to me and I much prefer the other settings. That's another thing about the game. The diversity. There's a lot of different environments being thrown at you, and they're done very well. 

If you're looking for a strong story, keep at it. Episode 1 & 2 (2, specifically) really bolster the story in great ways. ...Just don't expect the emotional twists and turns of an MGS or Final Fantasy game.

Sorry if someone asked your platform already, but I don't wanna hop through these pages right now. 

Oh, and there are plenty of others who have played it on the PS3... within the last two months... and really loved it. Different strokes for different folks.
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By jonnyboy

I love HL2 but I guess you really had to play this back in '04. The first time you saw the source engine cranked up and got your gravity gun on, it was an epiphany. Many things have come since and done better. Story wise, it's confusing as shit 6 years later, but the later episodes go some length to clearing it up a little. A little.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Point missed.  Play a different game.  Troll fail.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lucas_kelly

1. Why have you only just decided to play this game now? 
    2. If you don't like this game then I'm concerned about what other amazing games you don't like.  
    3. Half Life 2 is the best game ever made.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By JJOR64

I'm one of those people who doesn't get why Half Life 2 is so popular as well.  I finally got to try it on the Orange Box and I didn't see anything special about it.  From what I've played, it was fine, but not mind blowing.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ventilaator
    @lucas_kelly said:

" 1. Why have you only just decided to play this game now?  2. If you don't like this game then I'm concerned about what other amazing games you don't like.   3. Half Life 2 is the best game ever made. "

1. Did you like...you know...read the first sentence of my post or just the thread title?
    2. I'm also not a fan of Call of Duty 4 (And Modern Warfare 2 for that matter), the Halo games haven't changed since the first one and the first one was only good because of the contrast to the other original Xbox games, and FF7 isn't better in any way shape or form than FF6 was
    3. No it's not

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.