Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

When do I get to the part where this game gets good?

• 160 results
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By infininja
    @Binman88 said:
    I enjoy an intelligent discussion about the quality of a game as much as the next guy, but if "it doesn't" is someone's best response to a point like "it has great puzzles", then I don't think it's worth the effort.
    I hear this a lot, but many people seem to forget that "it has great puzzles" isn't a great beginning.  If you don't provide evidence when starting a discussion don't expect your opponent to have much to counter.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By Binman88
    @Infininja said:
    " @Binman88 said:
    I enjoy an intelligent discussion about the quality of a game as much as the next guy, but if "it doesn't" is someone's best response to a point like "it has great puzzles", then I don't think it's worth the effort.
    I hear this a lot, but many people seem to forget that "it has great puzzles" isn't a great beginning.  If you don't provide evidence when starting a discussion don't expect your opponent to have much to counter. "
    The OP isn't really the "opponent" in this discussion - he is the one who apparently wanted to be convinced, yet failed to make any real attempts to understand or accept why people liked the game, nor did he make any compelling arguments for his own case. "It has great puzzles" isn't a very substantiated claim, sure, but "it doesn't" implies that he has seen all the puzzles and made up his mind about their quality, so why bother trying to convince him otherwise? Anyway, later into the thread a number of people offer up plenty of points as to why the puzzles are so good, yet the OP doesn't respond to these. If the OP want's evidential points discussed, then he's going to have to do the leg work, seeing as he's the one asking to be convinced. If I had initiated this discussion, I would feel compelled to argue my case as to why the puzzles didn't interest me, or why I didn't think they were innovative for the time and see what response I would garner from that line of discussion. But, like I said before, the OP decided to devote more attention to the "troll" comments he received, rather than the people who seemed genuinely interested in a discussion.
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#153  Edited By ventilaator

Started episode one, played a bunch of it.

So far, it's about 9 billion times better than the entirety of Half-Life 2.........
    Good pacing, actual puzzles, actual story and reason to where you are and what are you doing....

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#154  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

In Black Mesa East. 

Before it,most of it is just driving around that god forsaken airboat. After you get past that motherfucking army helicopter in Water Hazard,it shall be pretty fun after. Im at BME myself.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#155  Edited By phrosnite

Just stating a fact... "Less than 50% of the people who started Half Life 2 finished the game." <---- WOW! Hahahhaahahaha!

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#156  Edited By ventilaator

Finished episode 1 and can't imagine why everyone are saying Half-Life 2 is great, while episode 1 is infinitely better about everything it does.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#157  Edited By jasta
    @Ventilaator said:

" Finished episode 1 and can't imagine why everyone are saying Half-Life 2 is great, while episode 1 is infinitely better about everything it does. "

You'll never find a decisive answer for that I'm afraid.
    FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#158  Edited By FunkyHugo

Its a good game, but I'm still stuck in the same part I was when the Orange Box came out (three hours in). I really want to pass it as I'm more curious about how episode 1 and 2 turn out.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#159  Edited By hanktherapper
    @Ventilaator:  I'm not going to try to convince you to like HL2. I've played the game seven times and have loved it every time. I found Ep 1 kind of meh, but I don't remember much about it other than the zombie filled parking garage. Episode 2 is the best one of the series, very emotional with some great action sequences.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#160  Edited By TheFreeMan
    @Ventilaator:  Episode 2 is gonna blow your fucking mind, then.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#161  Edited By BBQBram

Delete your account immediately. Nah just kidding, but really? You don't see the redeeming qualities in HL2?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.