Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 25, 2007

The conclusion to the original Halo trilogy has the super-soldier Master Chief joining forces with The Arbiter to finish off the threat of both the remaining Covenant Empire and the parasitic Flood, once and for all.

Is Halo better than Call of Duty 4

• 176 results
    Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Zebadee
    crunchUK said:
    "PJ said:
    "No Halo is not better then COD4 since its 6 years older. But the MP in Halo 3 is better then in COD4. But the SP is 100time better in COD 4"
    um halo 3 is like a month older than cod4? and if you really think that halo 3 plays anything like halo 1 then lawl you are rather far off"
    Yeah PJ! Halo 3 has bubble shields this time! ... *rolls eyes*
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#102  Edited By clubsandwich

jeez I can't believe how fanboyish this thread has gotten, both games are blatant overrated crap so who cares, srsly...

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Karmum
    crunchUK said:
    "PJ said:
    "No Halo is not better then COD4 since its 6 years older. But the MP in Halo 3 is better then in COD4. But the SP is 100time better in COD 4"
    um halo 3 is like a month older than cod4? and if you really think that halo 3 plays anything like halo 1 then lawl you are rather far off"
    I think he is poking fun at how the TC forgot to add the "3" in the title, so he is saying the original Halo is not better than COD4.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#104  Edited By jakob187

CoD4 and Halo 3 are very different multiplayer experiences, so how can you compare them really?

Personally, I prefer Call of Duty 4 because I like its pace of battle more than Halo.  I'm also not a big fan of space Marines and such, nor the 7 tons of armor you have to blast through for a luck shot.  I also find less retards on CoD4's online play.

I rag on Halo a LOT...a fucking LOT...but I remember when I thoroughly enjoyed Halo 2, as it was one of the best multiplayer games at the time.  Unfortunately, it aged about as well as GoldenEye has.  ewwww  Halo 3...was nothing more than Halo 2 with updated visuals and Forge, plus some bullshit items like life drain in the multiplayer maps.

At the same time...Juggernaut and Martyrdom can eat a dick!  Ice-T uses Juggernaut and Martyrdom.
    Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By Subway

I prefer Halo, the Single player is a ton more fun, and the online is better as well.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By lebkin

I personally prefer Call of Duty 4's multiplayer.  I found it much more accessible to someone who rarely plays online.  I can jump into a game of team deathmatch and actually make a difference, despite only playing once or twice a month.  I felt useless in Halo 3 and had a couple instances of teammates actually yelling at me about my lack of skill.  It just can off as very unfriendly for me. 

As for the single player, they were both really enjoyable. Halo 3 gets big props from me simply because of co-op all the way through on a single system.  Love that.

Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107  Edited By Two

Halo 3 is much more rewarding, which is strange since you don't really unlock anything of real value in Halo. Just your rank... but when you see a 50, you know he's one badass mother fucker. In COD 4 when you see a guy who's prestiged 3 times and is already 52 again ready to prestige for a 4th time... it doesn't mean anything, just that he has a shit load of free time.

That being said I love them both, and fully look forward to COD: WaW. I just like Halo more... and likely always will.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108  Edited By ep_driver

COD4 fo sho. Halo 2 got me back into gaming and Halo 3 is the reason why I bought a 360. I then switched back and forth between COD4 and Halo 3, but ultimately ended up drifting from Halo 3. I'm now playing World at War and COD4 because I think it's more satisfying and takes much more skill to be a top player.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Bulldog19892

Honestly, I prefer Halo 3 multiplayer. Mostly because I'm better at it. But if we're talking single-player, then COD 4 blows Halo 3 off the map. Halo's single-player has always sucked, while COD 4's single-player is memorable, fun, engaging, and intense.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#110  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Make your own opinion.

I personally prefer Call of Duty.

Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Bonesofwar

I enjoy playing Call of Duty 4 a great deal more than Halo 3, but I can tolerate both.

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By sionweeks
    dartendaspartan said:
    "

- In Halo 3 the matchmaking system is a billion times better than the one in CoD. 9/10 times in Halo the games go right down to the wire, in CoD it’s a different story.
    - As much as I enjoy the CoD campaign, Halo 3's campaign is longer and has vehicles, making it a better experience. Halo 3 also has a variety of types of encounter, in CoD you're generally at close range and only occasionally at long.
    - Halo 3 is the best playing FPS of all time, no buts and no excpetions. CoD is only so popular because of the iron sighting, infact if you think about it CoD gunplay isn't that amazing, even if it is fast paced and frenetic.
    - Halo 3 requires more skill. You may debate this as much as you like, but it does. For anyone who plays at a high level, e.g Commander or above, knows how important Battle Rifle control is and people might argue that sniping is difficult in CoD, but frankly, I think it's a lot more difficult in Halo (people move faster). CoD4 on the other hand requires very little skill or intelligence, there's no grenade deflecting, no equipment, little radar watching; knives kill in one hit, and you can kill a person with most weapons in about a half a second burst. This does make CoD easier to get into than Halo in some ways and the skill of players in Halo does sometimes work against newbies. But I say persevere.
    - Medals; possibly the best thing ever in a game; there's nothing better than hearing the announcer say "Overkill" (except when he says "Killtacular").

So there you go; there are my reasons for liking Halo more than CoD. That and the fact I've played through all the Halo games a Billion times. Most people playing Halo online right now are people who have played the prior games in the series and loved them and most people who play CoD haven't given Halo much of a chance. This whole rant or whatever you may call it doesn't mean I hate CoD. On the contrary I do still play CoD4 relatively often and have enjoyed almost all of its prequels; I just find the shooting so much more repetitive than Halo’s.

"
    Geez, I disagree with all of those points (but there are some I deleted that I agree with).

Okay, let me start.

"Halo 3 also has a variety of types of encounter, in CoD you're generally at close range and only occasionally at long."  -  Okay, what do you mean by encounter?  I've played all three Halo games, and I remember going up close to enemies a lot, and going at long range sometimes.  Whoah! That's just like what you said about CoD4!!!  Seriously, what the hell do you mean by "different types of encounter"  In both games, I go up to a guy, and shoot him. End of story.

"Halo 3 is the best playing FPS of all time, no buts and no excpetions."  -  Right, I know it's just your opinion, BUT WHAT THE HELL!?!?  Please explain to me how Halo "plays" better than every single shooter in the history of video games.  Also, "no buts and no exceptions"  So you not only have an opinion, it's an opinion that's SO CRAZY that it just makes you sound opinionated.  I LOVE CoD4, I LOVE playing Halo with my friends, and I LOVE THE FUCKING HELL OUT OF ENEMY TERRITORY: TRUE COMBAT: ELITE, but I don't go around saying "Counter Strike is the greatest shooter ever, no buts, no exceptions, if you disagree you're wrong!"

"Halo 3 requires more skill. You may debate this as much as you like, but it does."  -  Once again you just sound opinionated. You're so so in love with "the greatest playing shooter of all time" that you're just blinded, and it makes all other shooters seem like junk compared to this "g0dly L337 HALO"  ...... But seriously, what a fucking stupid statement. All games require skill, of course, but I don't exactly agree that just because, in your opinion, HALO is SO COMPLICATED AND ELITE, it automatically requires the most skill.  I would LOVE to see the greatest HALO 3 player have a few goes at killing  the best Counter-Strike: Source player.  Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that!!!  HALO 3 does NOT require the most skill... AT ALL! It's fact that all Pro PC shooter players are better at shooters than console players.  A Pro PC Shooter player will crank the sensitivity up to the highest posible setting and blow every single console pro console player out of the water.  A mouse is the most sensitive and presice instrument in all of gaming.  This makes HALO 3 seem like absolute childs play.

"Medals; possibly the best thing ever in a game"  -  .............. Yeah, I can't even be bothered to argue with that.  Now you've said that, I'll just go and say that PS3 Trophies may be one of, if not THE greatest thing ever in a video game. Hearing that little PING! noise has to be the greatest experience ever in a video game. Better than any of my favourite experiences circa 1997... "Best thing ever in a game"  Jesus, wtf is that all about.
    Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Bear

Both games are of the same overall quality. The one that is better is purely based on your favored gameplay.

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By sionweeks
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "Soap said:
    "DualReaver said:
    "Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no
    "
    Couldn't have said it better.

COD4 for life"
    Until Call of Duty 5 comes out. Seriously that is the major downfall that will eventually kill Call of Duty is Activision wants one out every year."
    Yeah, by two different developers.  Teryarch brings an okay one out every 2 years and Infinity Ward brings out a classic every 2 years, so now, not every year at all.
    DavidNTLB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By DavidNTLB
    When talking about Multiplayer:
    Halo 3 is more of a competitive game definately (requiring you to actually win to get XP). As you rank up and get better, the game tries to match you with players at your skill level, so the game is never easy when your past the rank of Major. MLG agrees that Halo is better balanced for tournament play than COD4. It is slower paced and more tactical than COD4.
    COD4 is pretty much an easy ride the entire way through, no challenge. Fun though. Nothing really bad. The worst thing is that players you have muted in game will be taken off mute in the game lobby, requiring you to mute them from the Gamercard screen, which takes a bit longer. COD4 gameplay wise, is hard to say. Lots of people complaining about noob weapons/perks. And you can level up all the way without actually winning a single round. Definately the easier of the two. Although COD4 is considerably lag free.

I have both. I prefer Halo 3. It has more lasting value because of the challenge. Custom Games and all the nice throw ups like Forge, Theater, File Shares, and the B.net experience just blows COD4 out of the water. Arcade mode and Prestiege was a pretty sad attempt to add replay value, and the best gun in the game doesn't need to be earned (M16).

A big problem with COD4 online is the way parties are organized. There isn't a party leader, making transitioning from gametypes or joining other parties mid-game an event requiring phone calls and multiple invites.

Have your pick, I like Halo 3. 
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Black_Raven

I would rather Halo 3, I only ever liked the first COD.

Prototype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#117  Edited By Prototype

I actually think for some like me aesthetic design is very important because right now i am not in the mood to play Fallout 3 or Gears 2  bedause its a really depressing setting while games like Mirrors Edge or Saints Row 2 are more aestheticly pleasing,So it really depends on your mood.Halo fits in to the Mirrors Edge category while Call of Duty 4 fits into that Gears of War category.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#118  Edited By LiquidPrince

No.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Wait, that's bugging you?  Wait, what?

Anyway, I'd say so.  It just feels, well to be frank,like the better game.  Undeniably it's less buggy and more balanced, but from what I've played off both, it just seems like COD4 is pretty much a formulaic shooter done incredibly solidly while Halo 3 is more original and sort of rides from the pack.

Analogies:  Halo is to Final Fantasy as Call of Duty is to the Mana series
    Halo is to an orange as call of duty is to an apple (orange is more of an exotic fruit, but still similar in characterstics, while the apple tastes much like other traditional fruits like say the pear but it's still the best of its kind)

As far as actual quality goes (meaning systems, glitches, etc.) halo 3 wins undisputably.

Some people just prefer the whole realistic vibe though.

I actually think Vegas 2 has better mp than COD4.  But again, it's all opinion.  I feel as though Gears is not suited for competitive mp (although I do like the single player and horde) but others seem to love it (i personally think it's all about spamming strategies and just not very fun)

gamerpro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By gamerpro

halo is diff from call of duty... but the differnce for me id thatin COD u can aim and shoot while in halo you can assault your way through enemies 

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By xplodedd

COD4 is a better game, its like a version of counter strike only its a lot funner to play.

Skambu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Skambu

I'd say Halo 3. Because it's far easier for beginners to jump in and play, it's more forgiving, plus there's Forge and Custom games.
    Also, it's not all brown.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By crunchUK

why have multiple halo threads recently cropped up? Must be the mythic map pack reminding people...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By CL60

People seem to keep bumping really old ones.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By crunchUK

w00t old threads

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#126  Edited By Radar
    DualReaver said:
    Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll no

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is WAY old.

ProudMeowican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By ProudMeowican
    @BrownBear: Its all about opinion.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#129  Edited By vager

I think CoD4 is better but I end up playing Halo 3 multiplayer a lot more and it's for one reason. Being able to play online with 4 people locally. Every game should have that feature.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#130  Edited By flaminghobo

No.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#131  Edited By Winternet

Aahh...NO!

blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By blackbeard

i will not provide any flame bait but... I have played Halo and I absolutely hate it.

COD4 FTW any day! IMHO.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By kashif1
    @Tarsier said:
    " COD4 is just another war shooter. Boring. Generic. Old.
    There are a lot of reasons why I don't like COD4, but the main one is that you can't play with a friend in the same room online. A lot of conveniences like that which Halo 3 has, no other FPS has, which they should be catching on to soon.
    "
    for the record haze did.
    blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By blair

No.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#135  Edited By TheJollyRajah

COD4 is fun, but it feels like mindless fun. You see a guy, then shoot, see a guy, shoot... Halo is a bit deeper than that, with various techniques and positions. In Halo you use your head just a little more.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Zereta

Halo 3 is just way more fun than COD4 IMO. COD4 did have the edge with a more emotionally engaging story (can't beat Nukes son) but when it comes down to it, as a package, Halo 3 was much more delivering than COD4.

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#137  Edited By marlow83
    @dartendaspartan said:
    "

I think Halo 3 is a much better and more well rounded experiences and this is why:
    - In Halo 3 the weapons are a lot more balanced meaning that it's easy for even newbies to get kills. In CoD you often get matched with people who are a higher level and have a better weapon, which brings me onto my next point.
    - In Halo 3 the matchmaking system is a billion times better than the one in CoD. 9/10 times in Halo the games go right down to the wire, in CoD it’s a different story.
    - Vehicles. CoD has no usable ones whatsoever.
    - As much as I enjoy the CoD campaign, Halo 3's campaign is longer and has vehicles, making it a better experience. Halo 3 also has a variety of types of encounter, in CoD you're generally at close range and only occasionally at long.
    - Halo 3 is the best playing FPS of all time, no buts and no excpetions. CoD is only so popular because of the iron sighting, infact if you think about it CoD gunplay isn't that amazing, even if it is fast paced and frenetic.
    - Forge; the variety of Custom games you can make with forge is infinite.
    - Save Films; someone say Machinima?
    - Halo 3 requires more skill. You may debate this as much as you like, but it does. For anyone who plays at a high level, e.g Commander or above, knows how important Battle Rifle control is and people might argue that sniping is difficult in CoD, but frankly, I think it's a lot more difficult in Halo (people move faster). CoD4 on the other hand requires very little skill or intelligence, there's no grenade deflecting, no equipment, little radar watching; knives kill in one hit, and you can kill a person with most weapons in about a half a second burst. This does make CoD easier to get into than Halo in some ways and the skill of players in Halo does sometimes work against newbies. But I say persevere.
    - Medals; possibly the best thing ever in a game; there's nothing better than hearing the announcer say "Overkill" (except when he says "Killtacular").
    - The map design in Halo trumps CoD4 significantly; CoD4 map design is pretty lazy I tend to think, with many of the maps being cut-off parts of the single player game, whilst doesn’t necessarily detract from the fun; in my opinion it adds to the balancing issues. In Halo 3, however all the maps are excellent and well crafted (even Isolation, especially Isolation). Any Halo player who hasn't downloaded the Legendary map pack do it now! Avalanche is possibly the best big map in Halo history and Ghost Town is surprisingly good. It goes without saying that I love Blackout. The maps that shipped are also pretty good. Guardian and Valhalla are probably the pick of the bunch. Other maps like the Pit and Construct are also pretty darn awesome, not to forget High Ground!

So there you go; there are my reasons for liking Halo more than CoD. That and the fact I've played through all the Halo games a Billion times. Most people playing Halo online right now are people who have played the prior games in the series and loved them and most people who play CoD haven't given Halo much of a chance. This whole rant or whatever you may call it doesn't mean I hate CoD. On the contrary I do still play CoD4 relatively often and have enjoyed almost all of its prequels; I just find the shooting so much more repetitive than Halo’s.

"
    What he said
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By crunchUK
    @TheJollyRajah said:
    " COD4 is fun, but it feels like mindless fun. You see a guy, then shoot, see a guy, shoot... Halo is a bit deeper than that, with various techniques and positions. In Halo you use your head just a little more. "
    I thought you were like, an avid hater of halo
    pieboy12321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By pieboy12321

COD 4 is WAYYYY better halo gets boring....

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#141  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @PeasForFees said:
    " More importantly are you a moron, and why are you people posting on a year old thread "
    While we are being assholes for no apparent reason, how could you ask 2 questions without putting a question mark behind either one? <- question mark

Secondly, who exactly are you talking to, and why would you be a jerk about something so petty? This thread was ressurected 2 months ago by someone and has stayed alive since then pretty much.  Who put sandpaper on your toilet seat?
    atlantabrave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By atlantabrave04

I'd say each game has it's ups and downs. Call of Duty 4 has a better leveling system in the multiplayer department, while the shooting mechanics in Halo 3 are more refined in my opinion.

Halo 3 by a slight margin.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two very different games.

It's really all a matter of opinion. I've been playing the Halo series religiously for 5 or so years, but last year in the spring I picked up COD4 and I played that everyday for like 4 months. They are both very high quality games, and anyone who's even remotely into shooters should definitely play them both.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Hitchenson
    @atlantabrave04: Urgh, why bump a shitty thread like this?
    regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By regularassmilk

I'm sick of this argument.
    They're both great games.
    Play 'em both and quit your bitching.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Hitchenson
    @regularassmilk said:
    " I'm sick of this argument.They're both great games.Play 'em both and quit your bitching. "
    We have a winner!
    /thread
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#148  Edited By Cube

It comes down to personal preference. I say no, but it's definitely not far off.

atlantabrave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By atlantabrave04

@Hitchenson said:

"@regularassmilk said:
    " I'm sick of this argument.They're both great games.Play 'em both and quit your bitching. "
    We have a winner!
    /thread
    "

Agreed.
    j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By j0rdan

When Modern warfare came out i liked it more than Halo3,  but now ive got rid of it yet still have Halo3, and ive gotta say im looking forward to ODST than i am MW2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.