Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

As the Beta comes to a close...

timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By timeshero

... we shall post, in this thread, our awesome stories, epic screen shots, video clips or both.

The Halo: Reach Beta as been one hell of a ride.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Goodnight, sweet prince.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Skytylz

Is it officially over?  I haven't played since Saturday...

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I played it the day it came out, and then two days after that. 

Halo seriously needs to change its gameplay with more than just jetpacks and sprint for me to be interested again.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Skytylz
    @AlwaysAngry:  Yah they should just copy COD*Sarcasm*.  I think they did as much as they needed to make it different, but still keep that Halo feel that distinguishes it from other games.
    s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By s7evn
    @Skytylz said:
    " @AlwaysAngry:  Yah they should just copy COD*Sarcasm*.  I think they did as much as they needed to make it different, but still keep that Halo feel that distinguishes it from other games. "
    I think it pretty much felt like CoD: Halo edition. It had the Halo elements, but it felt a lot like CoD which I guess is the evolution of games as the genre merges and evolves. 
    AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlwaysAngry
    @Skytylz: They took away what made it feel like Halo. Now it just feels like a super competitive online shooter. 

And I don't even want to comment on your Call of Duty statement, because you are obviously retarded. There are other games besides Halo and Call of Duty.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @AlwaysAngry said:
    " @Skytylz: They took away what made it feel like Halo. Now it just feels like a super competitive online shooter.   And I don't even want to comment on your Call of Duty statement, because you are obviously retarded. There are other games besides Halo and Call of Duty. "
    Halo is Halo. And this new game makes that painfully obvious that well they have not changed much. *In that aspect* I respected the Halo games. They where decent. The first being the best. However as it dragged on their lost their luster. I think they are smart to end it with Reach now because it became a crap franchise. 
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Skytylz
    @AlwaysAngry: They are basically the two main FPS's at this point.  Halo is the more arcadey one and COD the more "realistic".  That is what I meant by my COD comment.  By the way, how can you think this doesn't feel like Halo?  It feels exactly the same as Halo 3.  I'm not complaining though, because I played the shit out of Halo 3. 

Edit:  I probably should have said FPS's instead of games in my first comment.
    kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By kingofpeanuts

it was extended to the 20th so keep playing.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By immike

Man, I haven't played since Invasion first came out. I got bored of it after that. Anyone still planning on buying it? Just curious who still plans to and who doesn't.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By ez123
    @The_Laughing_Man: I wonder what people would say if they changed the main character, changed how the character moves, how the gun shoots(reticle bloom), added a bunch of different weapons,modes and multiplayer characters that play completely differently.   Oh wait,I know, "Halo is Halo."
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ez123 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: I wonder what people would say if they changed the main character, changed how the character moves, how the gun shoots(reticle bloom), added a bunch of different weapons,modes and multiplayer characters that play completely differently.   Oh wait,I know, "Halo is Halo." "
    I mean Halo feels like Halo and there was no ground breaking change.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ez123
    @The_Laughing_Man:  It's a franchise which spans over 2 consoles that are pretty similar(not like SNES to N64). It's one of the most popular franchises ever, what kind of ground breaking changes could there be?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ez123 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  It's a franchise which spans over 2 consoles that are pretty similar(not like SNES to N64). It's one of the most popular franchises ever, what kind of ground breaking changes could there be? "  

They said they where making big changes for Reach which I do not fully see. I am not gonna argue. 
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ez123
    @The_Laughing_Man: There are big changes, some of which I mentioned. The fact that you don't see them doesn't mean much.  I don't see the differences between GTA4 and RDR gun play but hey... what are ya gonna do?
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ez123 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: There are big changes, some of which I mentioned. The fact that you don't see them doesn't mean much.  I don't see the differences between GTA4 and RDR gun play but hey... what are ya gonna do? "
    Go to bed. Its been 5 days since I slept more then 4 hours at a time. Then maybe Play HALO CE on my laptop. Or...just sleep more. 
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ez123
    @The_Laughing_Man: That was more of a "It is how it is" type phrase but cool story anyways :).
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ez123 said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man: That was more of a "It is how it is" type phrase but cool story anyways :). "
    I hate insomnia. And to top it off my mom gets mad when I am able to sleep during the day. Lol.  

Good night all! 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

People, this isn't the final product. There will be a single player campaign and they will revise the multiplayer based on the beta. Jeez, don't act like this is the game you're gonna be getting when it launches.

Levianth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Levianth
    @xyzygy: I would put money that you won't see any major changes past the beta. Beta's are no longer about testing games, they're free advertising and product placement. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy
    @Levianth: Of course there isn't going to be major changes, are you crazy? If they decided to make a major change, they would delay the game. Then probably have another beta. Betas are about small tweaks to balance things out. 

And betas were ALWAYS meant to gather hype for the game. They're letting people with special access play a game before it comes out. That's kind of the whole point, to advertise the game, create hype, and tweak small issues.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By Cube
    @Skytylz:   Yes, I guess those 5 million copies of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 were actually COD or Halo. My apologies.
    timeshero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By timeshero

I love how this thread went from something positive, then all you douches went and screwed it up.  Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Levianth: Of course there isn't going to be major changes, are you crazy? If they decided to make a major change, they would delay the game. Then probably have another beta. Betas are about small tweaks to balance things out.  And betas were ALWAYS meant to gather hype for the game. They're letting people with special access play a game before it comes out. That's kind of the whole point, to advertise the game, create hype, and tweak small issues. "
    Betas are the new Demos.  

And if this follows like the last Halo beta. Bungie will not change much at all. 
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Skytylz
    @Cube: Halo 3 sold over 8 million copies on one console.  Modern warfare 2 sold 7 million copies on day one.  I'd say they are the two main fps's right now. 
    ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ChillyUK7

Had a lot of fun with the beta, thought id make a minitage before the beta went down. (I used my camera to record these clips that's why it looks a bit shit)

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fwylo

Halo still sucks.

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By MikeydCT

so the beta is over now?

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By big_jon

I loved it
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Demyx

Game was really fun. Had some great moments. Can't wait until September

Pyrodraulis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pyrodraulis

I've never even been a huge Halo buff, but the Reach beta was some of the most fun I've had on my 360. Even for just a beta the game felt very polished and smooth, and I kept coming back for more despite the fact that there were only a few maps/gametypes. My one big gripe with the game is that I think grenades should be limited to 1 per spawn since they're so much more powerful now. I'm fine with the increase in power but not with people spawning with 2. If someone spawns really close to some action, 9 times out of 10 they'll throw both of their grenades right into the fray which even ends up killing teammates. This led to way too many situations where grenades were blowing up in my face left and right  far too often. The game should be a first-person shooter not a first-person grenadier. :) 

But yeah, I've got Reach pre-ordered and I'm definitely looking forward to this beast in September. Whenever this game ships with tons of maps, game variants, unlockables, and whatnot then there is definitely going to be some fun to be had.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Tarsier said:
    " 5/5 stars "
    Totally. Even in its beta state it blows most other recent online shooters out of the water. Bungie sure know how to make a damn fine game. 

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By thebeast

Never been in to Halo, or multiplayer on consoles for that matter, but I got the Halo Reach beta out of inquisition and had so much fun with it - really can't wait for release now. 

As I've never really played the old Halo games, I can't speak for whether these points are specific to Reach or not, but I thought I'd share:
    I'm awful at shooters at console; I'm still trying to master FPS' without a keyboard and mouse, but despite sucking immensely, I was never criticised, trolled, griefed, shouted at or otherwise had any anger directed at me (OK, I had one guy suggest, in jest, that they didn't realise their grandmother played Halo, but I got a laugh out of that) - which I was told was the norm for most multiplayer games, let alone Halo. Quitters were the biggest issue, but it seems they're working on sorting that out.

Despite being used to PC-style shooters, Halo Reach feels perfectly optimised for consoles, it has a really great pace which feels fast, but is slow enough to give you a chance to get your bearings with the slower controls, every part of the experience from matchmaking to the post-match report seemed to 'just work', where a similar PC experience might not be quite as smooth. 

My girlfriend was equally engrossed, when we weren't playing together, she was watching me play - said it reminded her of playing Unreal Tournament (which is a complement, surely) and was as disappointed as I was when the beta finished. 

I'm sure some of the diehard Halo fans will have problems with the game - they're the ones that know every nuance and every possible issue - but from the perspective of a newcomer to the series, Reach is insane amounts of fun - definitely recommended to anyone who didn't get a chance to play the beta.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Evilsbane
    @TheBeast said:
    " Never been in to Halo, or multiplayer on consoles for that matter, but I got the Halo Reach beta out of inquisition and had so much fun with it - really can't wait for release now.   As I've never really played the old Halo games, I can't speak for whether these points are specific to Reach or not, but I thought I'd share:I'm awful at shooters at console; I'm still trying to master FPS' without a keyboard and mouse, but despite sucking immensely, I was never criticised, trolled, griefed, shouted at or otherwise had any anger directed at me (OK, I had one guy suggest, in jest, that they didn't realise their grandmother played Halo, but I got a laugh out of that) - which I was told was the norm for most multiplayer games, let alone Halo. Quitters were the biggest issue, but it seems they're working on sorting that out.Despite being used to PC-style shooters, Halo Reach feels perfectly optimised for consoles, it has a really great pace which feels fast, but is slow enough to give you a chance to get your bearings with the slower controls, every part of the experience from matchmaking to the post-match report seemed to 'just work', where a similar PC experience might not be quite as smooth.  My girlfriend was equally engrossed, when we weren't playing together, she was watching me play - said it reminded her of playing Unreal Tournament (which is a complement, surely) and was as disappointed as I was when the beta finished.  I'm sure some of the diehard Halo fans will have problems with the game - they're the ones that know every nuance and every possible issue - but from the perspective of a newcomer to the series, Reach is insane amounts of fun - definitely recommended to anyone who didn't get a chance to play the beta. "
    Totally agree, I really didn't like the Halo 3 Multi that much but this feels like CE in a way but new really had fun with the beta very excited for release.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The beta felt very much like the original, which is something Bungie's been trying desperately to re-harness since Halo 2.  

And, despite the arguments otherwise, Halo and Call of Duty are the two staples of modern first-person shooters. They are Coca-Cola and Pepsi, respectively. There are other shooters, sure, that sell a bajillion copies, but all of them owe an incredible debt to both of these two franchises. And the evolution of Call of Duty owes much to the evolution of Halo, and vice versa.  

At this point, both franchises have passed a certain threshold of quality, and we as gamers aren't going to see radical changes in their formulas until some paradigm-shifting sales low comes around for one of (if not both) the two; moreover, it's a matter of taste now whether you prefer Call of Duty over Halo, Halo over Call of Duty, or some third quantity as your shooter-of-choice.  

Asking for Halo or Call of Duty to "break new ground" is stupid, period. It's like asking for Hershey's to change the flavor of its chocolate. What Bungie and the-developers-formerly-known-as-Infinity Ward have are winning concoctions that have proven successful in the past and remain successful in the present, and their successes have come on both a critical and commercial plane. If you don't like the games for whatever reason then don't whine about what the developers need to change to cater to your tastes on some microscopic level of specificity. Conversely, the gamers aren't to blame, but they ought to consider that no game is perfectly suited for every conceivable audience. 

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crunchUK

Played: 260 
    Won: 190 

Invasion was rather much of a disappointment, but, intentionally or otherwise, bungie created the best small-team game of all time with network test. It needs to be in the full game.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Toxin066

The matchmaking system is superb. Not a fan of the weapons though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.