Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Do you think Halo: Reach is the definitive Halo game?

• 131 results
    gungrave45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

#101  Edited By gungrave45

From a coop, multiplayer, singleplayer, and overall experience halo reach is the best halo.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#102  Edited By big_jon

@gungrave45 said:

From a coop, multiplayer, singleplayer, and overall experience halo reach is the best halo.

Agreed

DaBigDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By DaBigDawg

Reach is defo the best for multiplayer and coop, but single player is a little unclear.  Each game has its high points and low points in single player, but imo it'd be between CE and Reach.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#104  Edited By Video_Game_King

If by "definitive" you mean "best", hell no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. ODST and Halo CE are the only Halo games that I truly enjoyed. Both had outstanding atmosphere, great pacing, and fun combat. Once ODST made the Brutes' shields stronger, it was much funner to fight them unlike Halo3. 

Halo CE, while having very redundant levels, had the best combat out of the whole franchise. It all went to shit once melee lunging was given to the kids. TIMING your melee attack was more satisfying, and it forced people to actually shoot in their FPS games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CandiBunni said:
    @ajamafalous said:
    No. The skill ceiling in Halo 2 is definitely higher.
    I lawled. Halo 2 requires more skill than Reach? I think not. Reach, for me, is the best in the series for multiplayer. For a story though, I'd prefer ODST, Wars, or Combat Evolved.
    Seriously. Halo2 had the most stickiest aim assist ever. Including its stupid melee lunging mechanic, its aim assist with ruin console FPSs for years to come. Halo CE did aim assist flawlessly, still demanding player skill while still "assisting" the player enough to obtain a kill.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it is the definitive Halo. I thought Combat Evolved was awesome when it came out and I despised Halo 2, 3, and ODST. I thought the story of those games were crap, the characters unlikeable, and the mulitplayer (this counts for Reach as well) is only fun when playing with friends.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Loose
    @Video_Game_King said:
    If by "definitive" you mean "best", hell no.
    This.
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#110  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

It's a huge multiplayer game with bad maps, so far from it.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By big_jon

@CandiBunni said:

@ajamafalous said:

No. The skill ceiling in Halo 2 is definitely higher.

I lawled. Halo 2 requires more skill than Reach? I think not. Reach, for me, is the best in the series for multiplayer. For a story though, I'd prefer ODST, Wars, or Combat Evolved. The only things I don't like about Reach are melee lunging, two hit melee kills (I would prefer it to be three hits instead) and the aim assist (it's not bad or anything, I just wish there was very, VERY little, if any at all.)

Halo 2 was a difficult game because on average the players were better, it had BxR, and super jumps too, but Halo 3 had the largest skill gap of any Halo game, that is fact.

I love Halo: Reach but the skill gap in most cases is less apparent than the past two games. Mainly because of the abuse of certain power weapons, and the AA's. N00bs who are always jet packing or armour locking get old fast. Also the sniper rifle is really easy to use, it was pretty easy to use in Halo 2 as well though.

Bloom is a positive in my eyes and I'll never really understand some peoples hate for it. Most who hate it really do not understand it.

@DuhQbnSiLo:

I wouldn't go that far, many of the DLC maps are great and there are a few well balanced launch maps too. I wish Sword base and Power house were more well made though, also I really don't understand who did the weapon placement on Hemorrhage, it is awful, not enough anti vehicle weapons.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#112  Edited By EpicSteve

Halo Reach is great in every way a Halo game is expected to be great. I didn't much care for the abilities in multiplayer, but that's more of a personal taste thing.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By big_jon

@EpicSteve:

I would much agree with that.

How was being an intern by the way? I long for the day I can meet the crew and see the office hand in hand.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#114  Edited By Subjugation

Halo 2 will always be my definitive multiplayer Halo. I don't care about single player.

Edited to prevent additional crying.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By big_jon

@weeman105: I care?

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Subjugation

@big_jon: That's fine. My point was people spend the vast majority of their time on the multiplayer aspects so that tends to receive the brunt of the critique. I'll play through the campaign maybe two times before I never return to it again. A few dozen hours spent in campaign versus likely hundreds in multiplayer. That's where the longevity is most likely to be.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#118  Edited By ez123
    @weeman105: Your point was nothing.  Of course multiplayer is where the longevity probably is, that's pretty different from " Who cares about single player?"  The answer to that is most people.  The campaign is equally important, replay value and hours spent are not the end-all, be-all of what is important in a game.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Subjugation

@ez123: Let's avoid an aneurysm here.

As someone who played a hell of a lot of Halo I can readily say that without the solid multiplayer portion of the game I absolutely wouldn't have felt full price would be justified. Obviously you have some strong feelings for campaign. Maybe you can lead me along your train of thought.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#120  Edited By ez123
    @weeman105: Don't read too much into things.  You posted something with no point, then said "My point was", I was just stating the obvious.    

In Halo, neither multipleyer or single player are tacked on like in a lot of games. When that is the case, then you can say that one aspect is more important than the other. It would be an incomplete package with either multi or single player missing.  I know that one has more play time, that doesn't change that fact.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By big_jon

@CandiBunni: The sniper rifle in Halo 3 had little to no auto aim, was not hit scan, and it had a smaller redicle, so it was in fact a more difficult weapon to use.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#122  Edited By Sooty

Definitely the best campaign since the first game. I still think 2 had the best multiplayer and maps.

@greenygrey said:

@npeterson08 said:

It's definitely the best Halo game. However, I think the original Halo: Combat Evolved was extremely definitive, not only to the Halo franchise, but to the First Person Shooter genre in general.
    It seems you've never played Half-Life before. :P

Well it did do quite a lot for FPS on console. It was the first one that felt really good to play on joypad. (If anybody brings up Goldeneye I will be a sad panda!)

Although one thing is after Halo came out a lot of shooters seemed to fall in love with regenerating health. I much prefer health numbers myself, regenerating health only makes sense for shields.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#123  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Nope, Halo 3 is much better.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By big_jon

@Mr_Skeleton said:

In your opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProfessorEss said:

I couldn't call it "definitive" due to the lack lead man and franchise icon, Master Chief.

Master Chief is a faceless essentially silent protagonist, what is it about playing through his eyes that makes the other games better? Saying that about something like Uncharted with a charismatic lead I could see, but Master Chief?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#126  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@big_jon said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

In your opinion.

Yes, it is my opinion. What's your point?

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Reach was a good game but for me never made the impact that Halo: CE made.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By big_jon

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@big_jon said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

In your opinion.

Yes, it is my opinion. What's your point?

I think my point was pretty clear.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @NeverDave said:

@ProfessorEss said:

I couldn't call it "definitive" due to the lack lead man and franchise icon, Master Chief.

Master Chief is a faceless essentially silent protagonist, what is it about playing through his eyes that makes the other games better? Saying that about something like Uncharted with a charismatic lead I could see, but Master Chief?

Don't get me wrong, I personally think Reach is the best in the series. I'm just saying that Master Chief (for better or for worse) is the main character/icon/avatar of the franchise and I find it tough to call a Halo game without him "definitive".
    gungrave45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#130  Edited By gungrave45

All the halo games have been amazing but i would rank Reach as number 1.
    1. Reach
    2. halo 3
    3. Halo CE
    4. ODST
    5. Halo 2

mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By mordi

Halo 2 is the ultimate Halo multiplayer game. Singleplayer-wise I guess Halo 1 is the most Halo-y Halo there is.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By MrKlorox

Yes, I do. I'm not a fan of the franchise, especially after my time with Halo 2, but I had a lot more fun than I expected when playing Reach. The larger, more open levels help a lot.

Skipped Halo 3 and ODST, and was going to skip Reach, but MS sent me a free copy when I got in the recent dashboard beta. If that hadn't happened, I would probably have never played it or another Halo game. Now I'm at least curious what will happen to the franchise instead of completely apathetic.

Einherjar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Einherjar

While the campaign is clearly better than ODST(which was an absolute debacle), it didn't really have any memorable moments. Which could be due to the fact that I really don't care about the halo "expanded universe". I didn't really notice any improved AI either, only seems like the elites can take a lot more hits than before. Multiplayer did try to go new places, but without any really memorable maps and a simple class system, it didn't take long before I found my way back to CoD.  

So all in all I think it's a decent game, but not the ultimate version of Halo like it was hyped up to be. Halo just isn't Halo without Master Chief... Or halos, for that matter. 

Einherjar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Einherjar
    @ProfessorEss said:
    @NeverDave said:

@ProfessorEss said:

Don't get me wrong, I personally think Reach is the best in the series. I'm just saying that Master Chief (for better or for worse) is the main character/icon/avatar of the franchise and I find it tough to call a Halo game without him "definitive".
    Master Chief has the right lines in the right places. While all these random tough soldier types from ODST/Reach constantly try so desperately to be cool, Master Chief just is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.