Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Halo Reach Single Player

jimmah7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By jimmah7

I just finished the single player campaign and I've got some gripes.  I played through the whole game on heroic and I was fine with this difficulty until about the seventh level. That's when the game reverted to the old halo format of kill one guy, run as far away as possible to get a checkpoint and then run back.  Rinse. Repeat. It becomes a battle of attrition with the biggest casualty being the fun.  I think the reason I had such a boring, grind-y time towards the end is the unavoidable fact that the AI is too intelligent.  Almost at all times I felt like I was outgunned and out-skilled. The enemies went as far as tagging me with a plasma grenade seconds after I died (almost every time) as if they were programmed with taunt functionality.  Don't even get me started on how much of a chore it was to kill the super elites that were white or the zealot class elites that are seemingly the only beings sentient enough to wield two weapons in this iteration.  Anyone that is tired of a two hunter encounter, please raise your hand now. *Fervent hand-raising with a sad face* Keep in mind that all of my complaints are based on Heroic mode. I probably would be bald from ripping out my hair if I had tried to play on Legendary.  Ok I think those are all of things that I didn't like. Moving on to the good .

I DID like the story quite a bit. Everyone had pretty epic deaths. Oh wait, except for Kat. It almost seemed like they wasted all their creative juices on making awesome deaths for everyone else and then just said f*** it. Running into unknown snipers is good enough. I won't judge though, because maybe some people thought it had a deeper meaning? The jetpack was a pretty neat addition to the game even though I only used it for the one portion of the game where it was required.  Actually the only thing I ever used was Run, which was a welcome addition to the game.

Well I suppose I'll play the multiplayer for an hour or two before putting this game to bed. 

jimmah7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jimmah7

I just finished the single player campaign and I've got some gripes.  I played through the whole game on heroic and I was fine with this difficulty until about the seventh level. That's when the game reverted to the old halo format of kill one guy, run as far away as possible to get a checkpoint and then run back.  Rinse. Repeat. It becomes a battle of attrition with the biggest casualty being the fun.  I think the reason I had such a boring, grind-y time towards the end is the unavoidable fact that the AI is too intelligent.  Almost at all times I felt like I was outgunned and out-skilled. The enemies went as far as tagging me with a plasma grenade seconds after I died (almost every time) as if they were programmed with taunt functionality.  Don't even get me started on how much of a chore it was to kill the super elites that were white or the zealot class elites that are seemingly the only beings sentient enough to wield two weapons in this iteration.  Anyone that is tired of a two hunter encounter, please raise your hand now. *Fervent hand-raising with a sad face* Keep in mind that all of my complaints are based on Heroic mode. I probably would be bald from ripping out my hair if I had tried to play on Legendary.  Ok I think those are all of things that I didn't like. Moving on to the good .

I DID like the story quite a bit. Everyone had pretty epic deaths. Oh wait, except for Kat. It almost seemed like they wasted all their creative juices on making awesome deaths for everyone else and then just said f*** it. Running into unknown snipers is good enough. I won't judge though, because maybe some people thought it had a deeper meaning? The jetpack was a pretty neat addition to the game even though I only used it for the one portion of the game where it was required.  Actually the only thing I ever used was Run, which was a welcome addition to the game.

Well I suppose I'll play the multiplayer for an hour or two before putting this game to bed. 

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CptChiken

I still havent completed this game, got to the part with the helicopter things and the skyscrapers and i got bored.... 
    I doubt i'll ever be botherd to complete it.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Definitely jump into the multiplayer because it's a massive part of what makes up the game, you'll get a lot more opportunities to play with the armor abilities, and in my opinion it's very high quality stuff. I loved Halo: Reach but one of the issues with the single player was that as the game neared the end, it seemed like the story was really trying to build up a sense of excitement and urgency but the simultaneous ramp-up in difficulty meant that gameplay-wise things slowed down rather severely. In general though I don't like playing the harder modes in most games as I feel it hurts the pacing anyway.

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#4  Edited By RAmpersaND

If all you ever planned to do was beat the campaign and then play a couple hours of multi-player, I honestly have no idea why you bought your own copy of the game instead of just asking to borrow mine. I mean, seriously: my copy has been sitting right here, unused, the entire time that you've been playing yours!

jimmah7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jimmah7

psst. I borrowed jmoney's copy.

jackh915

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By jackh915

Couldnt have said "Spoilers" in the title could you? ruined the fucking campaign for me,
    Thanks dickwad

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By zombie2011
    @jackh915: The first sentence talks about how he finished the game, so how did you not know he was gonna talk about the story?
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Enigma777

There's an option to switch your difficulty in-game. There's no shame in bumping it down if you're not skilled enough...

jackh915

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By jackh915
    @zombie2011: I just skimmed what he said, and due to the title i didnt think there was going to be any spoilers. mabye the gripes were just too many grunts or framerate issues
    ip007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By ip007
    @jimmah7: Those Elites are no match against a plasma pistol and precision weapon combo. One plasma charge to pop the shields followed by a headshot will straighten those suckers out in no time. As for the Brutes, well, first pop their helmets and then go for the headshot. The hunters can be a pain in the ass if there are more of them otherwise they are just slow moving morons.

However, I do understand what you are saying. For me the last few missions were more like let's wrap this thing up already. I was more in it for the story than the actual gameplay. Then again, I was determined to get the weekly challenge that had me playing the whole game in one sitting which I rarely do because I want to savor all the details and not worry about finishing a game as fast as possible. 

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you are not the Chief anymore so you are more aware of your vulnerability. This kind of brings up this whole thing with taking out one foe and then pull back and wait for a checkpoint. Furthermore, Halo has always been more of a sandbox game where you pick and choose which way you are going engage a fight. What weapon will you bring to the next fight, how much ammo do you have left, are you going to be more aggressive or defensive and so forth. 

I hate to bring this up but on the other end of the spectrum you have a game like Call of Duty where you are much more in the thick of it, the missions are much more scripted and also much more linear. Also, the weapon damage and the fact that dudes don't run around in crazy space-armor suits lend to a more fast paced action that we see in a Call of Duty game. 

->>>>>>>>> 
    SPOILER alert for those stupid enough to read a thread called "Halo Reach Single Player" without finishing the game (you're just asking for trouble so don't come here with your angry posts). 

I totally agree with you that Kat's dead was anticlimactic and just plain stupid. "Not like this" fits perfectly here. It came from nowhere but it's one of those surprises that at first you don't take seriously. I thought they wounded her or something, I must have missed the whole headshot part because I was eating my chips, drinking my Dr Pepper and having a good time and then just like that... 

She deserved a better death then that. By the way, what happened to Jun? Was he the only survivor of Noble Team? Then again, he is a sniper (stealthy coward). 

END SPOILER 
    <<<<<<<<<-
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By big_jon

Kats death made my heart sink.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By pweidman

Pacing is perfect on normal, and heroic and legendary are there for challenge and mastery.  The supersmart AI is what makes the game so damn awesome imo.  Because of them, you really have to play the game much more tactically, and the tools are ALWAYS available to beat every situation(see plasma pistol combo for example).  For me Heroic is the sweet spot, where Legendary is too grindy, unless I gotta friend in co-op...then it's sublime.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gamb1t

i think its just ironic that majority of posts are all 360 faggers on a halo thread

gungrave45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By gungrave45

Halo Reach > all the games

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By m0rdr3d

Hm. I didn't have much trouble and I played it on legendary. But it's all about knowing what combos of weapons to use and I've built that by experience with all the other games. 

My major gripe with it is the voice acting.  It just felt rather disjointed and bland to me for some reason.  Anyone else feel that way?  Not saying I still didn't enjoy it and get into the story, I definitely did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.