Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

New Reach info revealed (GI scans)

• 54 results
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Fosssil

Lots of cool stuff revealed about Reach in the latest Game Informer. Some of the more interesting bits of info:

- The "new BR" is a single-shot, semi-automatic weapon called the Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR). It behaves in a similar fashion to the BR from the Halo 2 E3 demo.

-Campaign battles are now capable of being much larger in scale. Up to 40 functioning AI enemies (as opposed to only 20 in Halo 3) and 20 vehicles can be on-screen at a time.

-You play as a Spartan III, and everyone else in your squad except for Jorge (the big guy in the trailer) is also a Spartan III.

-Stealth-style knife assassinations are possible, so players now have an alternative way to deal with unsuspecting enemies.

-New enemy type called the "Skirmisher" has been added. Said to be a bit like a Jackal in nature.

-Players are introduced to the planet Reach well before the Covenant invasion begins, and then watch as its buildings and structures are destroyed over the course of the game.

-New human helicopter vehicle (the one seen in the trailer) called a Falcon. Civilian vehicles are now drivable as well. 

-Armor upgrades replace equipment from Halo 3; these upgrades grant special abilities like sprinting and active camouflage, and can be traded-out with other armor upgrades in much the same manner as you trade weapons.

-Full-feature parity with Halo 3 (Forge, 4-player online co-op, Theater, etc.), with some further additions yet to be announced.

There's even more information in the article. Color me excited for this game.

Scans:

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Skald

Halo is one of the only game series to include worthwhile split screen or co-op. Although my interest in Halo has waned a bit recently, I'll still probably get it for those reasons alone.

Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Pepsicolaboy

Hope they include a Firefight style map. I suppose thats what full feature paraody might mean. Hopefully anyway.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By fr0br0

"Sprint"

All they had to say to sell me.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fosssil
    @Pepsicolaboy: I'd be very surprised if they didn't include Firefight mode, with it being as popular as it is.
    Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Relys

Sprint??? That isn't needed, all they have to do is increase the player speed to that of Halo 2. (Halo 3's multiplayer is slow and boring as fuck.. I suspect it has to do with their catering to AR n00bs).

Anyways, I'm excited... When's the beta coming out?

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zereta

Everyone should read whats on the scans, seriously. Some real good stuff and I'm already much more hyped for this than for any Halo game before. Just sounds like everything's so much better!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By big_jon

There is not that much info....
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Zereta said:
    " Everyone should read whats on the scans, seriously. Some real good stuff and I'm already much more hyped for this than for any Halo game before. Just sounds like everything's so much better! "
    I would if they were actually readable.  I just renewed my edge card so I won't be getting this issue right away :(
    Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Sounds awesome.  The larger scale and the throwbacks to Halo 1 sound great.  Bringing back the pistol and the health system is something I didn't expect but love the sound of.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Bones8677

Wait wait wait, I don't recall Spartan Three's EVER being on Reach. They were a secret project even to those who worked on the Spartan II project. Man, if we're playing as a Spartan III then we're fucked.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zereta
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @Zereta said:

" Everyone should read whats on the scans, seriously. Some real good stuff and I'm already much more hyped for this than for any Halo game before. Just sounds like everything's so much better! "
    I would if they were actually readable.  I just renewed my edge card so I won't be getting this issue right away :( "
    Was pretty readable for me. Check these out. Don't know how different they are. I hear, there are actual scans floating around somewhere. Can't find them. 

@Bones8677 said:
    " Wait wait wait, I don't recall Spartan Three's EVER being on Reach. They were a secret project even to those who worked on the Spartan II project. Man, if we're playing as a Spartan III then we're fucked. "
    It was noted by the Spartan III trainer, Kurt, that he couldn't believe that all of them died. Besides, there was never any clear indication that they all died besides ONI's word and a report from 2 dazed survivors in intense shock. Obviously, ONI kept some Spartans for themselves.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Zereta said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @Zereta said:

I would if they were actually readable.  I just renewed my edge card so I won't be getting this issue right away :( "
    Was pretty readable for me. Check these out. Don't know how different they are. I hear, there are actual scans floating around somewhere. Can't find them. 

@Bones8677 said:
    " Wait wait wait, I don't recall Spartan Three's EVER being on Reach. They were a secret project even to those who worked on the Spartan II project. Man, if we're playing as a Spartan III then we're fucked. "
    It was noted by the Spartan III trainer, Kurt, that he couldn't believe that all of them died. Besides, there was never any clear indication that they all died besides ONI's word and a report from 2 dazed survivors in intense shock. Obviously, ONI kept some Spartans for themselves. "
    lol forgot about opening it in a new window. 
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zereta
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Zereta said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @Zereta said:

@Bones8677 said:
    It was noted by the Spartan III trainer, Kurt, that he couldn't believe that all of them died. Besides, there was never any clear indication that they all died besides ONI's word and a report from 2 dazed survivors in intense shock. Obviously, ONI kept some Spartans for themselves. "
    lol forgot about opening it in a new window.  "
    Doi.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By xyzygy

Making the civilian vehicles drivable is going to be really fun and add some open-ness to the levels. Also, the fact that there is a BR with a single shot is my dream come true... I love the BR, but when it was first introduced in Halo 2 I wished back then that it had an option to go single shot. This has gotten me really excited... all throughout Halo 2 and 3 I wanted this and now finally it's coming true! This has gotten me so much more excited for the game.  

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By willin

FINALLY, they updated the human character models so they don't look like ass.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bones8677
    @Zereta: I never actually finished Ghosts of Onyx, so I don't know the whole story. But then, wouldn't it make more sense for the characters to be Spartan IIs, they grew up on Reach, it will be more impactful seeing it destroyed that way. Where as Spartan IIIs being raised on Onyx will not care all that much.
    zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By zyn

Awesome!  Thanks for the info.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zereta
    @xyzygy said:
    " Making the civilian vehicles drivable is going to be really fun and add some open-ness to the levels. Also, the fact that there is a BR with a single shot is my dream come true... I love the BR, but when it was first introduced in Halo 2 I wished back then that it had an option to go single shot. This has gotten me really excited... all throughout Halo 2 and 3 I wanted this and now finally it's coming true! This has gotten me so much more excited for the game.   "
    I want my Motorcycle. Even if its just in a cinematic, I want my Spartan burst through something on a Motorcycle :D 

@Bones8677: Its probably because they were trying to do something that doesn't clash with canon, is what I think it is. We already know what those Spartans are doing save for one small team. Spartans IIIs were the only logical way to introduce something like that in a not so Canon-breaking way. 

And well... Jorge is part of the team and he's a Spartan II so those sentiments would come out of him :D
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bones8677
    @Zereta: Either way, we are so screwed. Spartan IIIs were always meant to be lambs to the slaughter. >.< 

*cries*
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

There better be a master chief cameo in this, even if it is just radio chatter or an ending cinematic of the pillar of autumn. 

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rowr

errr...so yeh its halo.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fosssil
    @MAN_FLANNEL:
    Legendary ending, perhaps?
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By wefwefasdf

Thanks for the scans! Definitely can't wait to see some gameplay footage and play the beta this year.

mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mastrbiggy

Looks/sounds amazing

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mordukai

I am really not looking forward to the marketing hailstorm campaign MS are gonna dump on us, seeing how they throw everything but the kitchen sink into marketing Halo 3. I bet this time around we'll get the sink with faucet attached. I am not doubting the quality of this game as Bungie are not that well known for making bad games but I just hate what comes with a launch of a major Halo title.  

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vonocourt

Nothing necessarily groundbreaking, but sounds like there changing up the formula a little bit.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pause422
    @Rowr said:
    " errr...so yeh its halo. "
    Sounds like it. More than anything I was hoping for the multiplayer to be something entirely different, but they plain out said its not going to be. Swapping equipment with 'armor enhancements' is hardly a valid enough change. I may rent it when it comes out, but from this information so far I'm pretty disappointed.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind

New content sounds good..  Playing as a Spartan III rather than the 2.0's is interesting. 
    I'm not sure how much changes some of you are wanting.  Perks, stealth kills and an open world environment is going to change up the gameplay quite a lot. 

Bigger scale / more advanced battles help too.

NinjaCupCaiks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NinjaCupCaiks

Halo knife kills . I jizzed a lil .

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zereta
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @Zereta: Either way, we are so screwed. Spartan IIIs were always meant to be lambs to the slaughter. >.<   *cries* "
    Well, these guys survived some serious shit. Surely, they can survive a Falling Planet :P 

And well, it seems like tweaks to the Halo formula are enough really. I don't anyone wants a WHOLE new Halo, just like no one wants a whole new Mario, a whole new Metal Gear or anything. We don't know anything about Multiplayer yet and I doubt they would change much but for someone like myself who was expecting change, I already am quite satisfied.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By turbomonkey138

Looks good . Loving the new assault rifle design

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fosssil
    @turbomonkey138: All of the new weapon designs look good. The article also mentions that Bungie cranked up the sound effects on all the rifles to make them sound more powerful.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho

Marginal improvements and some stuff from other shooters. Game of the Year confirmed.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#35  Edited By citizenkane

It's awesome that you get to see Reach as it was, nice and clean, before the Covenant invasion.

This game is going to be so awesome.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Fosssil said:

" @turbomonkey138: All of the new weapon designs look good. The article also mentions that Bungie cranked up the sound effects on all the rifles to make them sound more powerful. "

Also, judging by that screen shot they are staying away from the COD ironsights formula.  I was worried Bungie would come out with COD: HALO, but it's looking good and seems that they are keeping HALO HALO.    

PS.  I hope those stealth knife kills aren't as stupid as they were in in Turok. 

@ryanwho said:
    " Marginal improvements and some stuff from other shooters. Game of the Year confirmed. "

Why are you talking about Uncharted 2 in a HALO thread?  ^_^
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I still can't wait for the beta. I just want to get my hands on the game.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Zereta said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL said:

" @Zereta said:

@Bones8677 said:
    the article says that the squad (Noble Squad) are a team of Spartan-IIIs+ 1 spartan-II (Jorge, or the big one in the trailer) who survive all of their suicide missions against all odds. Most of the squad are replacement members, like Noble-6 (the player character) in the trailer. the only 2 that survived the original noble squad  were Carter, the leader (the dude with his helmet off in the trailer) and Kat (robotic arm girl) 

edit: also, the 3 shot needle rifle (3 shots implode, so im assuming it's a 3SK) looks amazing. The health system as well. The several quotes about them wanting it to be more like Halo 1 leave me extremely excited for the beta and this game.
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Dylabaloo

Hopefully they have a throwing knif.........wait a throwing GRAVITY HAMMER! Wooot i'm happy to see forge is back but can we haz reconz?

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShaneDev

Covenant don't speak English anymore which is a nice touch. 

The compared shots with Halo 3 make this look brilliant, so much new tech cant wait to play it.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bubahula

dammmmn that sounds really cool!

ax3m4hn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ax3m4hn

needle rifle? reminds me of those "leaked" screenshots
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By j_drace
    @Fosssil: Did you get the issue early because I just got mine yesterday and didn't realize it was the Feb issue until I made this same exact topic and someone pointed it out? 

I like the new approach that it's taking.  The characters actually look cool and have some backstories to them unlike the characters from ODST.  I sense that there will be a love story between the Carter-259 and Kat-320 since it states they are the only two from the original squad and have developed a close bond.  The gameplay seems like it's taking some pages out of the CoD series and I like that.  I like being the lone wolf when I'm playing with Master Chief.  It sounds awesome that there will be 40 fully acting AI characters that will result in epic battles.  It's also interesting that civilian vehicles can be driven.  The new weapons look cool too and the graphics have definitely improved.  The assassinations that can be performed also look sweet.  I really want to know more about the multiplayer.  I do typically enjoy HALO single player aside from ODST, but the MP is the bread and butter.  Other thoughts?    
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By crunchUK

3 shot needler asplosion death rifle... I'm guessing everything will be notched up on the scale of lethalness this time round. But "Armour abilities"... why?! 

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

This might actually get me back into Halo. And here I thought I was done with Halo. When does the Beta come out?
    Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Fosssil
    @j_drace: I didn't get my issue until today. I'm just sharing scans that someone else posted on another site.

@crunchUK said:
    "But "Armour abilities"... why?!  "
    Because the idea of equipment was much better than the actual implementation of equipment in Halo 3, so they needed to find a new way to make it work.
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By InfiniteGeass
    @JoeRiccadonna said:
    " This might actually get me back into Halo. And here I thought I was done with Halo. When does the Beta come out? "
    Sometime this coming Spring. You'll need a copy of ODST to play it though.
    CaptainTryHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CaptainTryHard

What happened to skull-mask spartan? The one who was sharpening the blade in the teaser? 

And can anyone read that multiplayer column?  

I actually feel like this Halo will be better than the rest. Hopes are high!

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Whisperkill

What the Fuck? Spartan IIIs weren't on Reach!

That also means its gonna be like ODST, Spatan IIIs don't have energy shields.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By eclipsesis

"Dave get the keys to hype bus, people are already jumping on board, next stop 2 years wait, final destination, DISAPPOINTMENT"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.