Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

The "Noob Combo"

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By MayorFeedback

Okay, so can someone explain the etymology of the "noob combo" to me? I would think the "noob" thing to do would be to waste all your ammunition trying to take someone down. What is exactly is "noob" about ammo conservation, strategic thinking, and efficiency?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

Huh? It comes from Halo 2 where the plasma pistol was god like.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

Halo 2, when you could duel wield the Plasma Pistol and SMG. Also the Plasma Pistol could hold it's charge indefinitely so people would just run around the entire game with it fully charged.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By finstern

You walk around with an overcharged pistol and a BR or a DMR, as soon as you see someone you pop their shields with the plasma pistol and change to the BR/DMR straight away and pop them in the head. 

Its no as much noob as it is cheap.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By PerryVandell

Halo 2 was when it was really bad, as people just kept the plasma pistol charged, and had an SMG at the ready in the other hand. It's still cheap in Reach, but nowhere near as bad as it was in Halo 2.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ReyGitano

I haven't seen people get upset at the noob combo since Halo 2, but it's still a little "-_-" when I see it. 
    It's not so much that it's looked down upon because it's still cheap, but just because there has been a gentleman's ban on it for so long.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Azteck

I can't seem to get it to work in Reach matchmaking, but goddamn is it making my Legendary playthrough a million times easier.

CanadianBaconX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By CanadianBaconX

Plasma Pistol = Best Gun In The Game :3 

That is all...

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By jNerd
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " Huh? It comes from Halo 2 where the plasma pistol was god like. "
    MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MayorFeedback

Ahh, gotcha. I only played the single player Halo 2, and a long time ago at that, so that makes sense. In Reach that combo is completely indispensable (especially on Legendary), but I forgot about the dual wielding in previous games, so that makes sense.

Thanks!

CanadianBaconX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CanadianBaconX
    @Fullmetal216 said:
    " Halo 2 was when it was really bad, as people just kept the plasma pistol charged, and had an SMG at the ready in the other hand. It's still cheap in Reach, but nowhere near as bad as it was in Halo 2. "
    Why would you use an SMG... Magnum was such a better option >.>
    Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Green_Incarnate

It worked better in Halo 2, since you could literally switch to a BR and shoot before the pistol plasma hit your target. Also there was more auto-aim, so it was impossible to dodge if you're locked on.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TwoOneFive

wow good thing they decided dual wielding it pretty stupid

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By PerryVandell
    @CanadianBaconX said:
    " @Fullmetal216 said:
    " Halo 2 was when it was really bad, as people just kept the plasma pistol charged, and had an SMG at the ready in the other hand. It's still cheap in Reach, but nowhere near as bad as it was in Halo 2. "
    Why would you use an SMG... Magnum was such a better option >.> "
    I wouldn't, but most of the people I played against were under the impression that the SMG was better since it fired faster and they didn't understand auto-aim very well.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

the smg was better, it was good at close to medium range, and you could charge the plasma bolt, shoot, then hold down fire button and by the time the plasma bolt connected you were pelting the targets head with alot of lead.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zidane_24
    @CanadianBaconX said:
    " @Fullmetal216 said:
    Why would you use an SMG... Magnum was such a better option >.> "
    SMG was what you started with. People would have to search out a magnum. Yes, it's a better option, but it requires more scavenging than just picking up the one plasma pistol. 
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm surprised so many people are referring to it as involving the SMG, when generally I think it's thought of as being used with the battle rifle. Anyway, yeah, the SMG and plasma pistol was a more deadly combo up close, but from medium range, the BR was just incredible.

EpicReflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EpicReflex

The term exists but there's no such thing as a noob combo, just people getting upset that you came to a fight with anything other than a BR/DMR.  

I'll always use the most effective weapon combinations, although i love a good a BR duel.

Hitzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hitzel

The noob combo has always referred to Plasma Pistol + Battle Rifle.  You guys don't remember "combo training" in action sack?  It was BR + PP spawns.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DystopiaX
    @drhans said:
    " Ahh, gotcha. I only played the single player Halo 2, and a long time ago at that, so that makes sense. In Reach that combo is completely indispensable (especially on Legendary), but I forgot about the dual wielding in previous games, so that makes sense. Thanks! "
    Especially cause it's like the only way to get elites shields down without using a full clip of DMR ammo (tested this, used the whole thing without missing). 
    Good in MP too for big maps (EMP vehicles, easy kill), and for close quarters (fully charge, unleash then quick beatdown).
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember once in Halo 2 I went 50 and 3 by myself against a team of four by just hunting out and hoarding the Plasma Pistol and Battle Rifle. It was seriously a stupid-good combo. 

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JoeyIA

Ugh, I don't get why they made it so you can hold the plasma charge forever.  In Halo on an original Xbox it would discharge, but if you play Halo on a 360 they made it so it'll hold its charge forever.  It looks  ridiculous, you're hand just starts freaking out but it never fires the charged shot.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Afroman269

Wasn't it the overcharged plasma pistol plus punch?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Afroman269 said:
    " Wasn't it the overcharged plasma pistol plus punch? "
    Basically anything that crossed a relatively meager threshold of damage could follow the Plasma charge and result in a kill. Headshots, melee, even a whiff of a nearby explosion.
    Hitzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hitzel

The Noob Combo is Plasma Pistol overcharge + Battle Rifle headshot.  It was insanely good in Halo 2.

I can't believe people don't know this.

Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Videogames

The combo is still pretty effective in reach if you get used to the plasma pistols lock on, which is about the same as halo 3 I think. I love using it, it is also fun to hold a charge in the plasma pistol, wait around corners and do a shoot/hit combo. it will kill them instantly. People also seem to completely hate when you do it, which I guess carries over from all the people used to the lock-on being incredibly generous from halo 2.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sitoxity

Personally, I don't think it's as cheap nowadays. It's pretty legitimate now, what with the bolts being easy as hell to dodge, the shot discharging if you hold it too long and the battery of the Plasma Pistol itself getting drained as you hold it. In the hands of someone good, it can be very good, but if you're just in a mad rush to get it off most of the time it'll just miss and you'll be the worse off in the encounter rather than the best.

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By metalmoog

Hmmm. I don't understand how this is considered noob or cheap when it's a tactic that's advised in the official Halo Reach Strategy Guide.  Just sounds like smart playing for the situation to me.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By audiosnag

I was under the understanding it was Plasma Pistol and BR.
    You can still do it with the DMR or the Needle Rifle. It still feels a little cheap an happens a lot in Elite Slayer cause you start with those. Still isn't a big deal though, the PP continually uses ammo when you have it charged and it doesn't seem like it auto tracks as well as it used to.
    All you have to do is dodge then take the effer down.

flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By flufflogic

They've done a lot to fix it, thankfully; in the late days of Halo 2, when people were stopping to play on their new 360s and abandoning the Xbox, all anyone did was have a fully charged plasma pistol and use that. No other guns got any use at all. In Halo 3, the ammo counts down to counteract it, lowering the effect - but it still remained a good tactic. In Reach, you have Armour Lock to utterly negate it, which is fantastic.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Raymayne
    @Hitzel said:
    " The Noob Combo is Plasma Pistol overcharge + Battle Rifle headshot.  It was insanely good in Halo 2. I can't believe people don't know this. "
    They do know it. How about you read the fucking thread next time, at least a dozen people posted before you explaining the combo. The OP was just asking what was so noobish about it.
    tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By tomance
    @JoeyIA said:
    " Ugh, I don't get why they made it so you can hold the plasma charge forever.  In Halo on an original Xbox it would discharge, but if you play Halo on a 360 they made it so it'll hold its charge forever.  It looks  ridiculous, you're hand just starts freaking out but it never fires the charged shot. "
    But the energy levels goes down.  You could end up getting 3 shots or a bunch depending on how long until you shoot it off.  It seems like it's fairly easy to dodge, unless you are running straight at the person.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @JoeyIA said:

" Ugh, I don't get why they made it so you can hold the plasma charge forever.  In Halo on an original Xbox it would discharge, but if you play Halo on a 360 they made it so it'll hold its charge forever.  It looks  ridiculous, you're hand just starts freaking out but it never fires the charged shot. "

I'm pretty positive the plasma pistol discharges in Reach after awhile too. At least in campaign it did. Not too sure about matchmaking.
    JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JoeyIA
    @wolf_blitzer85: Yeah it does discharge in Reach, I meant in Halo 2, I should have been more clear.  :)
    onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By onyxghost

Yo, if it's in the game and you don't need a code to unlock it, then it's fair game. Complaining makes you an admitted pussy. The two piece in gears pre patch...fun and effective. Screw whiners

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By big_jon
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Huh? It comes from Halo 2 where the plasma pistol was god like. "

This
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mazik765
    @Finstern said:
    " You walk around with an overcharged pistol and a BR or a DMR, as soon as you see someone you pop their shields with the plasma pistol and change to the BR/DMR straight away and pop them in the head.  Its no as much noob as it is cheap. "
    It's not cheap at all in Reach....like at all.
    Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mighty
    @drhans said:
    "Okay, so can someone explain the etymology of the "noob combo" to me? I would think the "noob" thing to do would be to waste all your ammunition trying to take someone down. What is exactly is "noob" about ammo conservation, strategic thinking, and efficiency? "

THANK you. 

Wasting a full clip spraying and praying is way more " noob" than exploiting a weapons capabilities strategically.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.