Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

This Is A Poor Excuse For A Halo: Reach Preview

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#151  Edited By Sam_lfcfan

It's better Jeff just admits he doesn't remember than guessing and getting it all messed up.
    MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#152  Edited By MichaelBach

Haha, strangest preview ever. Looking forward to a QuickLook or Review. I am on the fence about buying this one. Convince me Jeff!

Leadcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By Leadcat
    @Aelric said:
    " Should have gotten 'My Notepad: Carbon' "
    I bet 128 pages doesn't seem like such a joke now.
    colinjw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By colinjw

Maybe you should try using a dictaphone. I admit that using one could turn out to be hours of "Woooooooooooo (BANG) You teabagging Mother Humper! Thats it. How do you like being teabagged with this TANK bitch!".  This could be just my own halo experience.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By bcjohnnie
    @MattBodega said:
    " Another Giant Bomb article based on wild speculation, rumor, and half-remembered "things." Remember when Giant Bomb used to post only the meaningful and important articles? Now they're just like everyone else, posting "news" stories that have barely any news at all.

When is the GB crew going to get its act together and drop punk stringers like Jeff that are ruining the site?! "

Watch it Kessler, I'm pretty sure they are not legally required to make you an intern again next Summer.
    Prolix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#156  Edited By Prolix

I feel your still being a little stand offish about the Halo gameplay.  You just never wrote the words I expected to read.  "Its another Halo game."  

While I think Reach will most likely have a great and fun single player campaign.  I seriously doubt it will be memorable the way a game with that much attention, should be.  Bungi, IMO, is failing at raising the bar or even at meeting the standards yet again and I feel it in your post.  Your seemingly underwhelmed.   Like myself.

I see everything about Reach and I think ODST, I think Halo 3.  Just another Halo game.  No where near as groundbreaking as they think they are.  I wish it would be half way as good as 2.  But I also hope to eat my words, just because 2 was so great.  A small and loud part of me still wants that great Halo adventure.  Thoe, I know it will most likely never happen again.

Why so serious?  Your basically saying its to early and you've had too little time with this major title.  To draw any real conclusions about what you experienced and that anyone deriving some sort of hidden meaning with-in you simple tweets.  Is a god damned troll.  

Dats kewl bra!  As a long time follower of the Jeff mann.  My opinion on Reach will not begin to be formed, until I hear Jeff play the game in a QL.   That why I come here. 

Separate ourselves and move forward.

goodlucktj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By goodlucktj

i very much enjoyed this non-preview preview of halo: reach. all i really needed were a few bullet-point statements anyway. adding some insight into how jeff goes through his own review process was a fun side-note.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By DoctorOptimist

This is why I love Giantbomb.com! Best Halo Reach preview ever!

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

Cynical comments about that tweet went rampant. Those people should take note from Conan's Tonight Show farewell speech. 

ThePiePieper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By ThePiePieper

Well like he said, "if I can't remember it, chances are it doesn't necessarily make enough of an impact to be a point in the review" . Maybe those two levels don't have a lot going on. Remember how much we heard about Tsavo Highway before H3 was luanched. Typical Halo gameplay with not a lot of story.  I'm as big of a Halo fan as the next guy, but i can admite that not all Halo is awesome. Some levels have to be "Break skull, move on" type levels.
    LoggerRythm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By LoggerRythm

I just love Jeff's professionalism.  Kind of warms the cockles of the heart.    lol

comradecrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#162  Edited By comradecrash

lol nice. 

Evercaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#163  Edited By Evercaptor

To be honest I saw what you were saying. Unless you were stuck on a level, why the hell would you remember it's name over "that bit with the ship and the KBFOOOFF and the... yeah... nice." to describe a part in a game?
    No one can accurately tell you what happened in harry potter 4 chapter 14 unless they shouldn't be allowed in the conversation (read: shouldn't be allowed of of the house) or just looked it up.

Wait for the review, Jeff, We don't need a preview, we know it's going to be halo and cool, possibly simultaneously.

jessej07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#164  Edited By jessej07

I'm pretty sure there is a deeper meaning to what Jeff is saying in this preview.  Is he saying Halo Reach is bullshit and forgettable?!

SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#165  Edited By SenatorSpacer

I admit, I was one of the assholes you twitted you, but I was purposefully being an asshole (as I explained in a second twit) so I fill justified in my asshole-ry.  Or something. 

Mattf2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Mattf2312

Idk who is super excited for this. In the latest issue of oxm one of the devs was quoted as saying this is basically HALO 4 but I don't see it getting anywhere near the advertising effort that game would get
    DancingJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#167  Edited By DancingJesus

I posted this on Jeff's wall, but I'd like to share my thoughts with the community: 

Hmm... Jeff. I'm not sure what went wrong with that Halo Reach preview, but I do have one feeling I'd like to share with you. Bungie as a developer has spent over three years creating a piece of art/entertainment and the least you could do is show the same amount of respect to your own craft and the hard work people labored over. Not only that, there are many people on this site who are interested in this material, and your utter disregard or ambivalence to something you are not directly interested in seems disrespectful to your viewers. Your article comes off highly unprofessional and very crass as a result. I am a huge fan of GiantBomb and I visit the site nearly five times a day, but this post was rather disappointing. Maybe it was a fluke who knows. Hopefully, you can read this and see where I’m coming from rather than dismissing as some crazy Halo fan.    

tracerace11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By tracerace11

This is why I love this site!  This is a great preview of a game.  Screw conforming to what every other gaming website does, just speak from your experience, and be sincere.  This is why GB and its community is what it is.  I really want this game, so bad the finances are causing me to thinking about waiting for a month til my b-day.  I really need to find a money tree.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By bybeach

Translation,mabe as many others have now said, it's another Halo game. He actually remembers a few unique things.., well, the armor. And the armor. Oh yes, and what he liked anyways in Halo games. He is suppossed to be careful about blabing where babbies come from and staying strictly within those 2 levels. 

Personally I think Jeff is stirring up shit, Brad gets too much and Jeff wants his share. That can be dangerous. This is the internet,so he will find lots of idiot callers and conspiracy freaks. PPL. who just get off the hurt. And human nature kinda gets strained over-all in this demension anyways, so he'll get takers. I'm not running him down for this, he's been throught the mill a number of times, Remember that zelda review at GS?heh.  

Jeff having fun telling the straight and simple truth,... right on. Sad way to get an overview of ppl., though not his fault or doing.
    SenatorSpacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#170  Edited By SenatorSpacer

Actually I have a general question. Has Noble 6 (in the two missions you can talk about) talked? 

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#171  Edited By Brackynews

EDITORIAL GET!  Ahh, it's like a warm misting of tropical rain. So refreshing.
    I give previews about as much time as I give officially released screenshots. Which is to say they remind me that the game exists, and give me no sense of quality whatsoever. They are my advertisements. 

I don't need to read any preview about Reach to know that I want to buy it fairly close to its release date.  So I don't give a shit what Jeff's opinion is on the game. But I respect that he's duder enough to admit that his journalistic methods occasionally fail him.
    For a guy that is constantly documenting casual conversations and commutes, I'd think he could just voice memo his play sessions, either during if the NDA allows audio notes, or just having a quick out-loud recap in the car afterward.  Also they make these pens with a microphone now. You can buy them at any university bookstore.

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By kagekage
    @bcjohnnie said:
    " @MattBodega said:
    " Another Giant Bomb article based on wild speculation, rumor, and half-remembered "things." Remember when Giant Bomb used to post only the meaningful and important articles? Now they're just like everyone else, posting "news" stories that have barely any news at all.

When is the GB crew going to get its act together and drop punk stringers like Jeff that are ruining the site?! "

Watch it Kessler, I'm pretty sure they are not legally required to make you an intern again next Summer. "
    And that means Swedish canned fish. Or preserved periwinkles. 
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#173  Edited By Kyreo

" I should really go play those two levels again and take notes instead of being a total jackass."     

Yeah, Jeff, we love you but this is pretty fuckin' lazy of you.  In all fairness though, I wouldn't take a notepad to a preview of Halo Reach, I'd just go and enjoy the game.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#174  Edited By vendetta

If you're that mad about Jeff's supposed "lack of professionalism", then go get your news on another website. Not trying to be a douche, but going somewhere else will be a much louder complaint than bitching to Jeff's twitter account or in the comments section of this story.

Me personally, I could care less. This is Giant Bomb style to a tee. There are plenty of IGNs and Gamespots on the internet and only one Giant Bomb. I love it.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#175  Edited By JoelTGM

lol

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By ShadowKing7
    @sagesebas said:
    " @Jeff: YA know sometimes a cigar is just a cigar "

Well sometimes it's a BIG BROWN DICK!
    Marmaladebrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#177  Edited By Marmaladebrat

I think its interesting when Jeff or other staff from Giant Bomb share this kind of information with us, "show us how the sausage gets made." I think that is what makes the site different than some others. By the way, I think Joystiq doe sthis ate times too. 

But in this case it is too bad that we don't have much of a preview. Does this mean after all these years Jeff has learned his lesson and will at the very least carry a notebook with him? 

Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Glak

People are getting pissed over nothing
    Is it really that big a deal that he can't remember two levels of a game?
    If you're that interested, you can pick the game up when it comes out
    Also, you can get a generally feel of Jeff's opinion from this, he likes it and wants to play more of it
    Yes, maybe he should've taken the notes down, but people calm down

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By audiosnag

Somebody buy this man My Notebook damnit!
    Excellent preview. I larfed.
    Can't wait for Reach.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#180  Edited By Bigrhyno

This preview has swayed me. I am definitely buying the game now.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Arker101

I don't have a problem with that way of previewing. It always helps me to have something to remember notes, like a notepad or IPad, just to remeber things if I can't immediatley afterwards write/type it down on a computer.

If he needs it, he needs it. 
    If he dosen't, he dosen't. 

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

I'm with you wholeheartedly about not remembering names much.  In my mind, names are arbitrary bull that I'm likely to forget almost instantly, while all the other stuff is relevant details.  I don't remember names until things become very familiar.

MrDaravon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#183  Edited By MrDaravon
    @DancingJesus said:

" I posted this on Jeff's wall, but I'd like to share my thoughts with the community:   Hmm... Jeff. I'm not sure what went wrong with that Halo Reach preview, but I do have one feeling I'd like to share with you. Bungie as a developer has spent over three years creating a piece of art/entertainment and the least you could do is show the same amount of respect to your own craft and the hard work people labored over. Not only that, there are many people on this site who are interested in this material, and your utter disregard or ambivalence to something you are not directly interested in seems disrespectful to your viewers. Your article comes off highly unprofessional and very crass as a result. I am a huge fan of GiantBomb and I visit the site nearly five times a day, but this post was rather disappointing. Maybe it was a fluke who knows. Hopefully, you can read this and see where I’m coming from rather than dismissing as some crazy Halo fan.     "

Couldn't agree more.   I appreciate Jeff's honesty, and don't really have a problem with the no notebook thing.  People were probably expecting something regarding the event, so I also understand why they would want to post SOMETHING.  But the way that this is written completely comes off as Jeff being an ass, and is borderline insulting to the people actually interested in Giantbomb's take on the game (as I was, since I know none of the guys are huge Halo fans).  Really disappointing.  Actually genuinely makes me second-guess getting a WM membership next month.
    AddyMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By AddyMac

I thought the game was open-world and thus had no levels.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#185  Edited By nukesniper

This is exactly what I wanted in a Reach preview anyways. Good job Jeff. 

Halo is kind of "meh" to me now. If Reach blows people away I might look at it, but since Halo 3, I haven't personally bought a Halo game (I get it, that's only Halo Wars and ODST, but I got them from a friend and went "Yeah, I get it" to both.), and I don't plan to this year either.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By raahsnavj

I'm one of the few that read your "if I could remember them" as a sign "there isn't anything to see here... heck I already forgot it." - double meaning? no, simply nothing interesting enough to press on a gamers mind. Sounds boring.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By WiqidBritt

Indeed it is a poor excuse for a preview, Jeff. I, for one, demand to know every single detail about a game before I can decide wether or not I will purchase it
    commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#188  Edited By commandercup

As much as Halo Reach does not interest me, I'm glad to get a question I've had for a while answered! I always wondered whether or not reviewers take notes while playing games for review... I'm guessing your style is the minority, but I'll give it a try.

JusticeReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By JusticeReturns

Halo

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#190  Edited By vendetta
    @ShadowKing7 said:
    " @sagesebas said:
    " @Jeff: YA know sometimes a cigar is just a cigar "
    Well sometimes it's a BIG BROWN DICK! "
    I emitted laughter.
    kuicksilver16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By kuicksilver16

cant wait to play some reach multiplayer

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#192  Edited By MormonWarrior
    @Jeff said:
    " @Nyro said:
    " Halo "
    Thank you for your insightful contribution. "
    How about this: omigoshhaloi'msoexcited!!!
    Or: ican'tbelieveanybody'sstilltalkingabouthaloit'ssogayi'mgoingbacktomodernwarfare,babies
    cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#193  Edited By cosmic

Sounds more like he forgot the names of the two levels he can cover, rather than what happened in them, so he just said some general things he likes about the game.

milpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#194  Edited By milpool
    @His_lane said:
    " I live on taking notes because my memory isn't that great. Jeff, just pull the trigger on myNotebook: Carbon. It comes with 128 pages! "  
     You all laughed when they released myNotebook: Carbon.  Who's laughing now Jeff?!
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By GioVANNI
    @LunarAura said:
    "  

@Jeff
    said:
    " @Nyro said:
    " Halo "
    Thank you for your insightful contribution. "
    It's even more ironic how after reading your article, Nyro basically foreshadowed 95% of the upcoming replies. "
    And summarized 95% of the article
    fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#196  Edited By fillmoejoe

Haha, Jeff that was a great preview.

taylor109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#197  Edited By taylor109

As a long time fan of the site I feel that you and your website should hold higher standards for your articles and preview coverage. This preview as is provides nothing informative for the reader or fans of the game, and as such should not have been written in the first place. I understand not wanting to come away from a preview event with nothing but just putting this up on the site does nothing but diminish all the hard work that you and your team have done in building this website.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By napalm

The obvious conclusion to this entire thing is that Halo is still generic and boring. This is a huge slap in the face to "HALO FANZ" and it's awesome.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#199  Edited By wrighteous86

Jeff acts like level names like "Outskirts", "The Storm" and "The Maw" aren't incredibly unique to Halo and descriptively in-depth on the contents of the level.  How could he possibly be confused on which levels go with which names?  /sarcasm

Still, can't wait for Reach!

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#200  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

This is fantastic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.