Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Halo fans have no artistic taste in films or books

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for cynicaloptimist
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CynicalOptimist

If you ask Halo fans what their favorite movies are, they’ll either say some shallow and shitty Hollywood action movie or fratboy comedy, usually from Michael Bay, Roland Emmerich, or Adam Sandler. Ask what their favorite books are, they’ll say the godawful Halo novels but nothing else. Most do not watch or read deep and artistic movies or books that deal with themes that explore human nature, politics, religion, technology and life in general. They don’t even watch satirical comedies with smart humor. I bet… no, screw that, I know for a fact that most Halo fans do not watch movies from gifted filmmakers such as; The Coen Brothers, Gus Van Sant, Steven Soderbergh, John Ford, Orsen Welles, Quentin Taratino, Martin Scorsese, Philip Kauffman, Paul Greengrass, Terry Gilliam, Michael Brooks,  Stanley Kubrick or Francis Ford Coppola. They have never read any truly great literature works from books or graphic novels, such as; Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth, Maus, Watchmen (Or anything from Alan Moore), Flowers for Algernon, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Ender’s Game, Snowbound, In Cold Blood, The Good Earth, Atlas Shrugged, etc. etc.

It’s true, I asked many Halo fans, and you’ll see that everything I’ve said is true. Halo is just like the Michael Bay of video games.... No, let me rephrase that: Halo is the Twilight of video games.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dipstick

Obvious troll is obvious (and bad at it)

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By flaminghobo
    @CynicalOptimist:  I'm a Halo fan.
    Favourite Book: The Martian Chronicles.
    Favourite Film: The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Your post is null and void.
    Also, you're a bad troll.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By time allen

i loved halo 3 and my favourite film is eternal sunshine of the spotless mind lol. i might add that my favourite book is house of leaves.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Just large, sweeping generalizations. Like you brushed your sleeve over your keyboard and said: "There. Done."

EDIT: And somehow Steven Soderbergh makes it onto the same list as Kubrick and Ford. ?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

Halo is just like the Michael Bay of video games

In the entirety of the history of videogames, there are like.. five games that are in any way more intelligently told than your next best Michael Bay movie.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By jacksukeru

I was just flipping through The Watchmen and remembered what a great graphic novel that was, funny I should stumble into a topic referencing it just minutes after putting it down. 
    Just goes to show that coincidences happen all the time.
    Also: 
     .elpoep fo sdnik tsrow eht era sllorT

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By vaiz

No Caption Provided

This is how this topic makes me feel.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

The stupidity in this thread is almost overwhelming. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Wow, you really narrowed it down.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaptainObvious

No Caption Provided
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By shirogane

World of Warcraft would be closer to being the Twilight of video games. 
    Also, i've said this to people before, but i'm gonna say it again here: 
    The next time someone mentions Twilight around me, they're going to die.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @Shirogane said:

"Halo would be closer to being the Twilight of video games. Also, i've said this to people before, but i'm gonna say it again here: The next time someone mentions Twilight around me, they're going to die. "

World of WarCraft is close, but not quite. WOW at least has some charm and personality, Halo does not, it's not immerssive in the slightest. Then again, WOW and Halo are simple games for conservatives, both games require little to no skill.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Feanor
    @Shirogane: I don't know about that. You actually need a brain to complete all the content in that game. Halo on the other hand, all you do is press the right trigger, and melee if someone is close.
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dipstick
    @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    "Halo would be closer to being the Twilight of video games. Also, i've said this to people before, but i'm gonna say it again here: The next time someone mentions Twilight around me, they're going to die. "
    World of WarCraft is close, but not quite. WOW at least has some charm and personality, Halo does not, it's not immerssive in the slightest. Then again, WOW and Halo are simple games that take no skill for conservatives. "
    Haha,you and hitman should get a room.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @Feanor said:
    " @Shirogane: I don't know about that. You actually need a brain to complete all the content in that game. Halo on the other hand, all you do is press the right trigger, and melee if someone is close. "
    Exactly, both games don't require much skill, but Halo is the worse of the two.  

Team Fortress 2 > Halo 3 (Anyone who disagrees with that, is an idiot)
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Feanor
    @CynicalOptimist: TF2 is the better game by far. And you are right, WoW does not require much gaming skill. But if you are a dumb ass you will suck at that game. All you really need is common sense and the ability to follow directions. Oh, and not to be a fuck up.
    FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
    @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @Feanor said:
    " @Shirogane: I don't know about that. You actually need a brain to complete all the content in that game. Halo on the other hand, all you do is press the right trigger, and melee if someone is close. "
    Exactly, both games don't require much skill, but Halo is the worse of the two.   Team Fortress 2 > Halo 3 (Anyone who disagrees with that, is an idiot) "

I'm glad I'm not you.
    PirateChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By PirateChris

I think your lists need a little work before you can be taken seriously as a troll. To truly get across your intellectual superiority, I think you would be better served adding a few more esoteric names. Everyone's heard of Quentin Tarentino, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Orson Welles, even if they've never watched any of their movies. You need to add some obsure names. May I suggest  Jean-Luc Godard,  Francois Truffaut and Sergei Eisenstein. Those should really get those Halo plebs scratching their heads, right?

And your choice of literature is even worse. I mean really, where's  Joyce,  Dostoyevsky, Nabokov, Proust, Faulkner? And if you're going to include Ender's Game and Watchmen, you may as well add Snow Crash. Come on, those three are the trifecta of Nerd's greatest books. It seems to me you're not taking this trolling business serious at all.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 9cupsoftea

I'm a halo fan, and my favourite book is da vinci code ad my favourite movie is the nutty professor so you're wrong.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RVonE
    @CynicalOptimist said:
    "

If you ask Halo fans what their favorite movies are, they’ll either say some shallow and shitty Hollywood action movie or fratboy comedy, usually from Michael Bay, Roland Emmerich, or Adam Sandler. Ask what their favorite books are, they’ll say the godawful Halo novels but nothing else. Most do not watch or read deep and artistic movies or books that deal with themes that explore human nature, politics, religion, technology and life in general. They don’t even watch satirical comedies with smart humor. I bet… no, screw that, I know for a fact that most Halo fans do not watch movies from gifted filmmakers such as; The Coen Brothers, Gus Van Sant, Steven Soderbergh, John Ford, Orsen Welles, Quentin Taratino, Martin Scorsese, Philip Kauffman, Paul Greengrass, Terry Gilliam, Michael Brooks,  Stanley Kubrick or Francis Ford Coppola. They have never read any truly great literature works from books or graphic novels, such as; Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth, Maus, Watchmen (Or anything from Alan Moore), Flowers for Algernon, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Ender’s Game, Snowbound, In Cold Blood, The Good Earth, Atlas Shrugged, etc. etc.

It’s true, I asked many Halo fans, and you’ll see that everything I’ve said is true. Halo is just like the Michael Bay of video games.... No, let me rephrase that: Halo is the Twilight of video games.

"
    You should drop some more names.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I hope to god this is trolling.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Dipstick said:
    " @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    World of WarCraft is close, but not quite. WOW at least has some charm and personality, Halo does not, it's not immerssive in the slightest. Then again, WOW and Halo are simple games that take no skill for conservatives. "
    Haha,you and hitman should get a room. "

Can you claify what exactly did you mean by that? I mean wow is the only game the mac can play well.
    Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Feanor
    @PirateChris: Proust is the ultimate "smarty pants" writer.  
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @9cupsoftea said:
    " I'm a halo fan, and my favourite book is da vinci code ad my favourite movie is the nutty professor so you're wrong. "
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Thanks for proving my point even more.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @PirateChris said:
    " I think your lists need a little work before you can be taken seriously as a troll. To truly get across your intellectual superiority, I think you would be better served adding a few more esoteric names. Everyone's heard of Quentin Tarentino, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Orson Welles, even if they've never watched any of their movies. You need to add some obsure names. May I suggest  Jean-Luc Godard,  Francois Truffaut and Sergei Eisenstein. Those should really get those Halo plebs scratching their heads, right?   And your choice of literature is even worse. I mean really, where's  Joyce,  Dostoyevsky, Nabokov, Proust, Faulkner? And if you're going to include Ender's Game and Watchmen, you may as well add Snow Crash. Come on, those three are the trifecta of Nerd's greatest books. It seems to me you're not taking this trolling business serious at all. "
    Why bother? I highly doubt any Halo fan have ever seen the movies by those directors or read books by those authors, like I said, Halo fans have no artistic taste in anything. That is why they are Halo fans.
    PirateChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PirateChris
    @Feanor:  Exactly, this is Trolling 101. Proust should be on any "My tastes are superior to yours" lists, if you want to be taken seriously.
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dipstick
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Dipstick said:
    " @CynicalOptimist said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    Haha,you and hitman should get a room. "
    Can you claify what exactly did you mean by that? I mean wow is the only game the mac can play well. "
    You're both trolls. Obviously one of you is better than the other (Although you could improve your spelling and grammar hitman)
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RVonE
    @PirateChris said:
    " I think your lists need a little work before you can be taken seriously as a troll. To truly get across your intellectual superiority, I think you would be better served adding a few more esoteric names. Everyone's heard of Quentin Tarentino, Stanley Kubrick, Martin Scorsese, Orson Welles, even if they've never watched any of their movies. You need to add some obsure names. May I suggest  Jean-Luc Godard,  Francois Truffaut and Sergei Eisenstein. Those should really get those Halo plebs scratching their heads, right?   And your choice of literature is even worse. I mean really, where's  Joyce,  Dostoyevsky, Nabokov, Proust, Faulkner? And if you're going to include Ender's Game and Watchmen, you may as well add Snow Crash. Come on, those three are the trifecta of Nerd's greatest books. It seems to me you're not taking this trolling business serious at all. "
    Well played, sir. I tip my hat to you.
    John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By John1912

Did the I hate Halo boat come back?  I thought that was lost at sea with no attempt to salvage or rescue.  I guess the TC didnt miss the boat after all.  

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Dipstick: I'm not a troll, everything I say is what I belive in and my points are always well researched. Sorry you were so offended over my mac comments, I know the truth hurts. I can't edit my last post, it didn't work using windows internet explorer when I quote ppl. 

I'm don't play halo games, i'm not sure if that's true or not about halo players, maybe alot of them are casual gamers.
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
    @PirateChris said:
    Disappointed am I to see no mention of one Akira Kurosawa or one Haruki Murakami.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Dipstick: I'm not a troll, everything I say is what I belive in and my points are always well researched. Sorry you were so offended over my mac comments, I know the truth hurts. I can't edit my last post, it didn't work using windows internet explorer when I quote ppl.  I'm don't play halo games, i'm not sure if that's true or not about halo players, maybe alot of them are casual gamers. "
    I'm not a troll either, I did my research too. We are not trolls, we are truth.
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dipstick
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Dipstick: I'm not a troll, everything I say is what I belive in and my points are always well researched. Sorry you were so offended over my mac comments, I know the truth hurts. I can't edit my last post, it didn't work using windows internet explorer when I quote ppl.  I'm don't play halo games, i'm not sure if that's true or not about halo players, maybe alot of them are casual gamers. "
    Ha,Good Lord I <3 you so much dude. You're like a pub tryhard but in real life. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @CynicalOptimist: Where is your proof then? I like to know your source, otherwise it's an opinion.
    CynicalOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CynicalOptimist
    @ZanzibarBreeze said:
    " @PirateChris said:
    Disappointed am I to see no mention of one Akira Kurosawa or one Haruki Murakami. "
    Those are great directors too, Halo fans have never seen their movies.
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#37  Edited By citizenkane

You are either trolling or just an idiot.

Either way, I'm locking this thread.

PirateChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PirateChris
    @CynicalOptimist:  Haruki Murakami is not a director. Way to give yourself away

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.