Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo

Franchise »

The franchise that defined the Xbox, Halo contains some of the most popular games ever released. The Halo FPS titles are revered for their excellent gamepad control and high-quality online multiplayer. The franchise now contains novels, soda tie-ins, an RTS spin-off, toys, and more.

Time and time again I fall back on...

StrongHooj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By StrongHooj

Yesterday was my birthday and after the days events were coming to an end, the controllers came out. The few friends that know me best knew I was going to be up for games as soon as the non-gamers in the group had dispersed, so they hung around in waiting. Of course the first game we play is Modern Warfare 2; the new Hotness. It took all of 1 split-screen game for us to grow tired of it. Granted we all have the game, and I can't speak for the others, but I have logged over 2 days of online play. Nonetheless... we grew tired. We went down to pairs and started playing the Spec-Ops missions. That lasted for a good 2 games per pair (4 guys total... so 4 games) and again we were searching for more entertainment. So we decide to pop in ODST. Again in pairs we begin to play Firefight. As if I were 17 and had no responsibilities again, we lost track of time. All of us engaged in our game play; sweating palms, unblinking eyes, and roars of excitement. What is it about the Halo games that can keep this type of attention game after game? So it is now no longer my birthday, my Wife has been asleep for some time, the guys are on their way home, and I am up wanting more. Don't know exactly where this is going, but it was on my mind, and if I have learned anything about Blogs and the internet, this really doesn't have to go anywhere in particular. So there it is. 

StrongHooj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By StrongHooj

Yesterday was my birthday and after the days events were coming to an end, the controllers came out. The few friends that know me best knew I was going to be up for games as soon as the non-gamers in the group had dispersed, so they hung around in waiting. Of course the first game we play is Modern Warfare 2; the new Hotness. It took all of 1 split-screen game for us to grow tired of it. Granted we all have the game, and I can't speak for the others, but I have logged over 2 days of online play. Nonetheless... we grew tired. We went down to pairs and started playing the Spec-Ops missions. That lasted for a good 2 games per pair (4 guys total... so 4 games) and again we were searching for more entertainment. So we decide to pop in ODST. Again in pairs we begin to play Firefight. As if I were 17 and had no responsibilities again, we lost track of time. All of us engaged in our game play; sweating palms, unblinking eyes, and roars of excitement. What is it about the Halo games that can keep this type of attention game after game? So it is now no longer my birthday, my Wife has been asleep for some time, the guys are on their way home, and I am up wanting more. Don't know exactly where this is going, but it was on my mind, and if I have learned anything about Blogs and the internet, this really doesn't have to go anywhere in particular. So there it is. 

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By crunchUK

Yeah, it's impossible to replace halo. It just has that something no other games have...  The more you play the more interesting it gets. Other games are really to remind you of how good halo 3 is, and i'd bet good money on halo 3's population slowly creeping back up in the following months as people return to it.  I recently discovered the joys of social skirmish after taking a break from Social Big Team (It's been full of parties of 8 against which randoms have no chance against since MW2 came out).

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Zereta

Other games have come and gone. But Halo, despite you could say 'dated' gameplay, still has the most beloved spot in my heart. In fact, after 2 years of that, I was hoping Modern Warfare 2 will tide me over till Reach but heck, even that isn't strong enough to keep Halo away from me and I want to go back more than ever before. 

Bungie r witches lolz?

StrongHooj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By StrongHooj

They quite possibly could be. I am already noticing that my MW2 game is in its case more than I expected. I have 3 buddies coming over in the morning to watch football and play some Firefight, I am excited.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Yup.  I will never part with my copies of Halo CE, Halo 2, or Halo 3.  Too many great memories and too much fun to be had. 

On a side note, I REALLY hope they incorporate some of that amazing music of theirs into the Reach multiplayer.   

StrongHooj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StrongHooj

I like the icon/name MAN_FLANNEL. makes me laugh

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By zombie2011

For me nothing can beat the online craziness of Halo. I've played a lot of Battlefield 2 but that game just seems slower and less exciting than Halo. Even though Halo has tanks, banshees, choppers and a ton of other vehicles the maps are still relatively small and that keeps the action intense always, something Battlefield fails at. I've had the most fun playing Halo and even though i'm playing the hell out of MW2 right now (lvl 68) it still doesn't compare to Halo. 

I've saved so many game replays of just crazy shit that happens during games.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK
    @Zereta said:

" Other games have come and gone. But Halo, despite you could say 'dated' gameplay, still has the most beloved spot in my heart. In fact, after 2 years of that, I was hoping Modern Warfare 2 will tide me over till Reach but heck, even that isn't strong enough to keep Halo away from me and I want to go back more than ever before.  Bungie r witches lolz? "

Halo is just  irreplaceable. When you think about it, it really is completely unlike anything in how it plays. Even then, you have a bazillion differnet playlists and styles to enjoy. And i'm betting that in a couple of months time it will pretty much be back to the same population count it was before MW2. 

Also, a lot of people will hate on me for this, but halo 3 is just as close to perfection as multiplayer gets. Apart from Orbital of course.
    StrongHooj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StrongHooj

Yeah, my group of friends that I went to high school with and almost all of them still hang out when we get the chance... we used to record our games on VHS that we played via XBConnect back before XBLive was about. We still watch those videos (I converted them to .AVI files) and get a kick out of our strategies. I saw that last week MW2 was top of the charts followed by Halo3... I would be willing to bet that sometime mid next year Halo 3 will be back on top.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zereta
    @crunchUK said:
    " @Zereta said:

" Other games have come and gone. But Halo, despite you could say 'dated' gameplay, still has the most beloved spot in my heart. In fact, after 2 years of that, I was hoping Modern Warfare 2 will tide me over till Reach but heck, even that isn't strong enough to keep Halo away from me and I want to go back more than ever before.  Bungie r witches lolz? "

Halo is just  irreplaceable. When you think about it, it really is completely unlike anything in how it plays. Even then, you have a bazillion differnet playlists and styles to enjoy. And i'm betting that in a couple of months time it will pretty much be back to the same population count it was before MW2.  Also, a lot of people will hate on me for this, but halo 3 is just as close to perfection as multiplayer gets. Apart from Orbital of course. "
    "Halo 3 is just as close to perfection as multiplayer gets." 

You don't know how right you are. All the pieces fall together beautifully. 

And you're already seeing it. Halo 3's post-MW2 population has been on the rise. People on my friend's list have slowly been moving away from MW2 back to COD4 and Halo 3.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK
    @Zereta said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " @Zereta said:

Halo is just  irreplaceable. When you think about it, it really is completely unlike anything in how it plays. Even then, you have a bazillion differnet playlists and styles to enjoy. And i'm betting that in a couple of months time it will pretty much be back to the same population count it was before MW2.  Also, a lot of people will hate on me for this, but halo 3 is just as close to perfection as multiplayer gets. Apart from Orbital of course. "
    "Halo 3 is just as close to perfection as multiplayer gets."  You don't know how right you are. All the pieces fall together beautifully.  And you're already seeing it. Halo 3's post-MW2 population has been on the rise. People on my friend's list have slowly been moving away from MW2 back to COD4 and Halo 3. "
    Lol yeah. It happens with every major release
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zereta
    @crunchUK said:
    " @Zereta said:
    " @crunchUK said:
    " @Zereta said:

"Halo 3 is just as close to perfection as multiplayer gets."  You don't know how right you are. All the pieces fall together beautifully.  And you're already seeing it. Halo 3's post-MW2 population has been on the rise. People on my friend's list have slowly been moving away from MW2 back to COD4 and Halo 3. "
    Lol yeah. It happens with every major release "
    Yea, only this time I don't think it'll be enough to put Halo 3 back on top though. MW2 has become the media and mainstream baby that Halo used to be.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By keyhunter

All the weapons in Halo do something different. Modern warfare on the other hand does not have quite as much depth.

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By imhuntad

I don't wanna sound like I completely agree with you, as I don't but I know exactly what you're talking about. For instance, the weapon variety (not amount), enemies, cooperative campaign, playlist variety, and gameplay is awesome. I myself have been playing Modern Warfare 2 for days and days and days. I grow tired of that game faster than I think I have on any highly regarded first-person shooter. There's just something missing. 

Halo is one of those games that you can come back to and easily get a grip on (no that's what she said here plz...). Counter-Strike used to be that kind of game, but now it's probably halo. The balance is there, the variety is there, the community is sometimes nice, and I simply love killing aliens rather than other humans. That may sound nitpicky, but it's true. I get more satisfaction out of doing it probably because it always feels right..haha. Good topic, hope it doesn't get out of hand.

StrongHooj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StrongHooj

I, sadly, kind of agree with you Zereta. MW2 is the media monster that Halo once was... so it might stay atop the mountain. The only thing is, I really believe that Halo is a BETTER game, so I am assuming that MW2 is going to have to decline at some point. I am not sure what happens, and it doesn't matter too much  to my opinion on either game. I am just happy that the competition between FPS's is as competitive as it is to bring us games like these. I also REALLY do not want Halo Reach to feel threatened by MW2 and try to take gameplay assets resemble the Infinite Ward series. Stick with Halo, it is tried and true.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm in shock that people are saying nice things (and rightly so) about Halo:
    A) On the internet 
    B) On this forum 

And yeah, Halo is amazing and about as close to online shooter perfection as you can get. (Just because no doubt someone will try to call me out on this, I'll state the obvious now - In my opinion).

@crunchUK: I don't get your hate for Orbital at all. My hate for Standoff - Heavy is justified though, because it's horrible... horrible.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crunchUK
    @Hitchenson said:
    " I'm in shock that people are saying nice things (and rightly so) about Halo:
    A) On the internet 
    B) On this forum 

And yeah, Halo is amazing and about as close to online shooter perfection as you can get. (Just because no doubt someone will try to call me out on this, I'll state the obvious now - In my opinion).

@crunchUK: I don't get your hate for Orbital at all. My hate for Standoff - Heavy is justified though, because it's horrible... horrible. "
    Orbital isn't bad for 1 flag. Play it in slayer though, and you will spend 8 minutes of torturous spamming grenades around corners and having people spawn behind you. Ugh. 

Standoff heavy is broken as hell (spawn wise), but then so was halo 2 and that was awesome. It's just epic, there's so much carnage and stuff going on. I particularly love it in team flag where you get to show the moronic doubles 50s what's what as they get squashed by your gauss hog and rage quit.
    StrongHooj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StrongHooj

I think that Infinity Ward should actually take something away from the Halo series. They should learn from the rankings system that Halo brings to the table. While the online rankings and matchmaking aren't perfect, in any regard, they are far superior to any other system out there. In MW2 and CoD4 for that matter, the games are not that competitive. One team will be stacked with good players and the other not so much. At least Halo seems to attempt to put "good" players against others of the same level. Although some people like to ride the wings of better players just to get their high rank. This isn't even an issue either, because if this is the case, the 4 person team of good players has to play a 3 person team of good players and one noob who is attempting to get his/her rank up by riding the wave. I got a little off track here, but I think one of the reasons that Halo will always (until this is fixed) be better than MW2 is the online rankings.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zereta
    @StrongHooj said:
    " I, sadly, kind of agree with you Zereta. MW2 is the media monster that Halo once was... so it might stay atop the mountain. The only thing is, I really believe that Halo is a BETTER game, so I am assuming that MW2 is going to have to decline at some point. I am not sure what happens, and it doesn't matter too much  to my opinion on either game. I am just happy that the competition between FPS's is as competitive as it is to bring us games like these. I also REALLY do not want Halo Reach to feel threatened by MW2 and try to take gameplay assets resemble the Infinite Ward series. Stick with Halo, it is tried and true. "
    Beautiful. Bungie have said at one point that they have learnt some things regarding multiplayer and character progression by playing Infinity Ward's COD4 and no doubt, we will see what's up with that in Reach. 

And while MW2 and IW's COD is the media baby right now, I know, just like in all of us, they have a piece of Halo inside of them (except the Destructoid assholes, who are just Anti-Halo Activists really). What Bungie needs to do now is to make sure that they can get a good opening on the Reach Hype Machine with the VGA Trailer. That's a make or break thing for Bungie. If that works and when the magazine previews come in Mid-January (Confirmed by Bungie), Bungie and Halo can get back some foothold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.