Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hearthstone

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

A Free-to-Play collectible card game by Blizzard Entertainment set in the Warcraft universe.

Wasted time

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Hennet_sim

Now that Hearthstone is in open beta it is time for a Giant Bomb Community tournament! Now first up there is no way to police this unless you stream it or record it. If you choose to participate pick a hero and one 30 card deck for best 2/3 games then report the winnings here.

Be sure to sign up with your blizzard name and number and use the PM to arrange your matches..

Hennetsims#1536

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MezZa

Just for clarification, are we locked into the deck we pick for the entire tournament or is it just for that individual best of 3? You may want to consider using a king of the hill format for the best of three. Winner keeps his deck and loser gets to switch to another unbeaten deck until one player loses all three of their decks. No repeats of the same hero of course. This is what most big Hearthstone tournaments are doing to avoid landslide matches and to emphasize more skill in deck building. Cause if someone unknowingly brings a Control Warlock to a series against an UtH Hunter chances are the warlock player is just going to get screwed three games in a row. Same goes for every other hard counter match-up to every deck. This would require more record keeping since everyone would need to have 3 decks locked in before seeing their opponents deck, so if you don't want to go that route its understandable.

Oh and are there card restrictions or can i use all of my unlocked cards on the new players?

Edit: Also, I see no sign up option on the tournament page.

HalfwayThere#2934

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing a lot of Hearthstone since it went into open beta. I love it, but I'm trying not to spend any cash on it. I've been having fun doing the daily quests, getting some gold on the side and spending it on Arena matches. Add me at TooWalrus#1665 if you just want to dick around, or to use me as cannon fodder, but I know my deck isn't tournament level.

...also, I'll be in Cancun in early February, so I won't get to embarrass myself in a tournament, this time.

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hennet_sim

@mentaldisruption:

The reason I want to keep it at 1 hero and deck for the tournament is because there is no replay system or any way to watch the matches and with limiting it to one hero and deck before so you can't hard counter other decks intentionally. In your example If some does bring a Control Warlock that can be easily countered by a UtH hunter deck they should have made there Warlock deck more versatile other than limiting it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@mentaldisruption:

The reason I want to keep it at 1 hero and deck for the tournament is because there is no replay system or any way to watch the matches and with limiting it to one hero and deck before so you can't hard counter other decks intentionally.

But that's the whole point of KotH. So you can't hard counter.

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hennet_sim

In major card game tournaments you are limited to 1 deck and a side board per person. You can't change up decks in tournament just because you brought a deck that is easily hard countered. Making it 1 deck for the whole is the best way to keep everyone on an even field.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By MezZa

@hennet_sim said:

In major card game tournaments you are limited to 1 deck and a side board per person. You can't change up decks in tournament just because you brought a deck that is easily hard countered. Making it 1 deck for the whole is the best way to keep everyone on an even field.

This would make sense if you weren't ignoring the heroes and hero abilities. Every deck in hearthstone is easily countered because each hero counters at least one other hero to some degree. Going back to the warlock example, you can make a warlock deck with whatever composition you want, but a hunter is still going to counter you. The warlocks life tap and lack of class restricted healing cards plays into the hands of every hunter out there. If you play aggro warlock you get UtH'd and beat down. If you play control you get burned until they can otk with UtH and Jenkins. It's an unfavorable match-up for warlocks regardless of deck composition. The only way to avoid this disadvantage would be to build an unusual warlock stuffed with taunts and heals, and gimping yourself in every other match-up. Obviously I'm exaggerating because its not unbeatable, but these types of counters are uphill battles for whoever is unlucky and are part of the reason why koth best of formats are used in competitive hearthstone at the moment. I could say the same thing for Hunters against Priest. Priest gets so much healing that the beatdown strats of hunter decks just don't work unless the priest doesn't get decent card draw.

Likewise, bringing multiple decks encourages variety. Who's really going to want to bring a mage deck as their only deck in the current meta right now? Or rogue or priest? Being told to bring one deck makes my mind instantly jump to the warrior, paladin, or druid for their general consistency against beat down decks (the current flavor of the month with hunters recently being buffed) while still being good against the current control meta. Or on the flip side I'd join the other crowd and bring a hunter or a murlock deck and hope to get those favorable match-ups each round into the finals.

Of course, I'm not going to tell you how to run your tournament so please don't take it in that way. In the end I'm just glad hearthstone is getting attention here. I'm just further explaining my suggestion and why hearthstone tournaments are generally not formatted as 1 deck competitions.

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hennet_sim

So if I am understanding this correctly you can't build a balanced deck so you want to switch your deck up when ever you wish with no restriction do you can have each deck only do its one thing and nothing but that one thing fine. Clearly for hearthstone we need to use a completely different rule set for tournaments than every other card game. At this point I just give up It does not look like anyone is interested in a tournament.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

@hennet_sim: Most notable Hearthstone tournaments have been run King of the Hill style. This includes the Blizzcon Invitational and the ESGN Fight Night series. The fact that you think King of the Hill means "switch your deck up when ever you wish with no restriction" tells me you haven't watched any tournament-level Hearthstone. You might want to look into it before trying to hold a tournament of your own.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.