Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Hero Quest

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released 1991

An isometric turn-based fantasy RPG and computer adaptation of the dungeon-crawling board game of the same name.

ST-urday #024: HeroQuest

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Edited By Mento  Moderator

Hey, just because I have a daily blogging series going on right now (the cram-a-riffic Go! Go! GOTY! '15) that doesn't mean I'm going to neglect my weekly ST-urday feature. I mean, I could try to combine them in some creative way, but I'm having trouble finding any Atari ST games released in 2015. Weird.

I've been busy this whole week with the above, but I'm counting down the days until Christmas because my PS4 is just sitting here, unplayed and unloved, until I allow myself to play it. Kind of had to justify it as a joint birthday/Christmas present to myself: it's a little too on the expensive side, otherwise. It will mean that the couple of 2015 PS4 games I now own - Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Fallout 4 - won't be making it onto the GOTY list. But hey, there's always next year's "best 2015 game of 2016" up for grabs.

Wiki-wise, I'm neck-deep in the 1989 release schedule of the PC Engine, the Japanese version of the much-maligned TurboGrafx-16 (as recently as this week's Bombcast, in fact! Though Jeff conceded that it saw a few worthwhile exclusives). Unlike the lukewarm reception of the TG16 in the US, the PC Engine enjoyed a considerable amount of acclaim in its home nation and was easily a strong competitor for the NES and Sega Genesis in that brief 1988-1991 window where the Genesis dominated elsewhere prior to the appearance of its eternal rival the Super Nintendo. I completed updating the wiki for the libraries of the TurboGrafx-16 and TurboGrafx-CD about a year ago, and have been keeping up with the Chronturbo video series of chronological appraisals of TurboGrafx-16 and PC Engine releases in the meantime, but the majority of PC Engine games have very little representation on the wiki. I'll be writing up a Wiki Project article about the curiosities I uncovered at some point later this month, as if I needed yet another distraction from this quest of desperately squeezing in all these 2015 games before all the top ten lists inevitably start showing up.

HeroQuest

No Caption Provided

Talking of heroic quests (pfft, nice segue), it's due time to take a look at Gremlin Graphics's other big board game adaptation: HeroQuest. As with Space Crusade, which I took a look at earlier this Summer, HeroQuest is the virtual recreation of a Games Workshop board game intended to be a kid-friendly, easy-to-understand "gateway" into the more wargaming-heavy and strategic Warhammer universe. That is, the fantasy Warhammer with magic and ratpeople and barbarians and not so much of the space marines and plasma rifles. The Warhammer world recently saw some video game license activity for the first time in years with the apparently quite good multiplayer horde-survival game Warhammer: End Times: Vermintide. (Think Left 4 Dead, but with Skaven instead of zombies.) It seems Games Workshop is in the process of dismantling and discontinuing their less-popular fantasy universe, and has created this huge "end of the world" multimedia event to send it off with a bang.

Anyway, HeroQuest is set centuries before all that, and concerns the wizards Mentor and Melcar. Melcar was Mentor's apprentice, but got tired of being drip-fed magical knowledge and decided to sneak into his master's library and read a few Dummies' Guides to speed things up. Naturally, the vast of amount of insight into the inner-workings of the cosmos broke his mind and corrupted his soul, causing him to flee civilization and pledge his allegiance to the nebulous and ubiquitous forces of Chaos somewhere in the accursed wastelands. Each mission of the game involves the heroes helping Mentor to foil Melcar's plans, destroy his army of monster subordinates, or somehow help out the beleaguered nations of men (and women presumably, though the game doesn't have any of those), elves and dwarves.

There's going to be a lot of similarities to Space Crusade going forward, as both are based on similar board game rulesets and both were adapted to the Atari ST by the same developer. HeroQuest has quirks of it own, of course, including an emphasis on earning money to purchase equipment which will increase a character's chances of survival in subsequent adventures. I'll go into more detail with the screenshots and their captions, as always.

Welcome to HeroQuest! Hope you like skulls!
    Welcome to HeroQuest! Hope you like skulls!
    I didn't have any reason to include this screenshot here, I just thought it might make for a nice header image. The game starts with a bunch of text that I summarized up above about Mentor and Melcar.
    I didn't have any reason to include this screenshot here, I just thought it might make for a nice header image. The game starts with a bunch of text that I summarized up above about Mentor and Melcar.
    Talking of whom, here's our antagonist. I'd be angry and insane too if I looked like that.
    Talking of whom, here's our antagonist. I'd be angry and insane too if I looked like that.
    Here's the preparation menu, and it's startlingly similar to the Space Crusade preparation menu. We have, from left to right: start new quest, select/configure heroes, buy new equipment and access quests from the bonus mission pack disk, sold separately.
    Here's the preparation menu, and it's startlingly similar to the Space Crusade preparation menu. We have, from left to right: start new quest, select/configure heroes, buy new equipment and access quests from the bonus mission pack disk, sold separately.
    I went with a dwarf, which I named after myself. There's also a barbarian, who is the best melee class, the elf, who balances melee and magic, and the wizard, which goes all in on magic but is physically weak. Dwarves are the second best melee class and have a few race-specific bonuses, like starting with a toolkit that allows me to dismantle traps. Traps not only hurt you if you trip them, but they can also block passageways, so it's handy to have a means to remove them. You can also buy one, if dwarves aren't your thing.
    I went with a dwarf, which I named after myself. There's also a barbarian, who is the best melee class, the elf, who balances melee and magic, and the wizard, which goes all in on magic but is physically weak. Dwarves are the second best melee class and have a few race-specific bonuses, like starting with a toolkit that allows me to dismantle traps. Traps not only hurt you if you trip them, but they can also block passageways, so it's handy to have a means to remove them. You can also buy one, if dwarves aren't your thing.
    The combat in this game is even simpler than that of Space Crusade. Each player rolls attack and defense dice (depending on who attacked whom) and adds up the number of skulls/shields. If there's more skulls than shields, the attacker does damage to the defender. Most creatures here have only one hit point, or
    The combat in this game is even simpler than that of Space Crusade. Each player rolls attack and defense dice (depending on who attacked whom) and adds up the number of skulls/shields. If there's more skulls than shields, the attacker does damage to the defender. Most creatures here have only one hit point, or "body point", but the heroes have a number dependent on their fortitude. The dwarf's stocky seven points just took a one point hit here with this sneak attack from a zombie.
    Destroying enemies causes them to explode violently into demonic energy. I think the implication is that every monster in the game is the product of Melcar's magic, but it might well be that the art team didn't want to animate collapsing body animations for every creature. So yeah, a wizard did it.
    Destroying enemies causes them to explode violently into demonic energy. I think the implication is that every monster in the game is the product of Melcar's magic, but it might well be that the art team didn't want to animate collapsing body animations for every creature. So yeah, a wizard did it.
    Passing through the last room, I'm immediately met with yet another undead. Maybe I should've picked an easier mission off the menu; I just kind of blind-fired here. HeroQuest's isometric interface is similar to that of Populous, or Cadaver. All the useful buttons are highlighted green and displayed around the edges of the book.
    Passing through the last room, I'm immediately met with yet another undead. Maybe I should've picked an easier mission off the menu; I just kind of blind-fired here. HeroQuest's isometric interface is similar to that of Populous, or Cadaver. All the useful buttons are highlighted green and displayed around the edges of the book.
    A quick rundown: the arrow pointing at the shield is
    A quick rundown: the arrow pointing at the shield is "end turn", which is always the last button you hit. The shield and sword indicates that there's an enemy nearby you can fight. The keys indicates a nearby door, which you can open without entering if you want to take a look into the room without using a movement point. Having enemies around negates the coin bag (search for treasure) and ? door (search for secret doors): these are how you earn money and find secret areas and traps, respectively. They're two separate searches and you can only do one per turn: searching will also remove all your movement points UNLESS you do it at the start of the turn before you've moved anywhere. You can also use all your movement points and then search with no loss.
    Searching for treasure does come with risks though. For every reward like the above, you'll get enemies sneaking up on you or a trap setting off. It's often recommended to complete a quest objective and then search for treasure on the way back to the exit, making sure to stop searching once your body points have almost run out. It's like killing extra aliens in Space Crusade: the bonus mission points you'll earn will come in useful, but only if you make it back to the shuttle in one piece.
    Searching for treasure does come with risks though. For every reward like the above, you'll get enemies sneaking up on you or a trap setting off. It's often recommended to complete a quest objective and then search for treasure on the way back to the exit, making sure to stop searching once your body points have almost run out. It's like killing extra aliens in Space Crusade: the bonus mission points you'll earn will come in useful, but only if you make it back to the shuttle in one piece. "Don't get greedy" is the cardinal rule here.
    Anyway, that first attempt crashed and burned, so here I go with Plan B: a burner hero. There are many ways to play this game if you're running solo, and they involve how many heroes you choose to bring with you. The death of a hero means you have to
    Anyway, that first attempt crashed and burned, so here I go with Plan B: a burner hero. There are many ways to play this game if you're running solo, and they involve how many heroes you choose to bring with you. The death of a hero means you have to "renew" them (the middle icon) with all their purchased equipment removed, but you can keep using your "chosen" hero (mine is still the dwarf) and then bring along a few meatshields to keep enemies off your back (and heal you!) while you hunt for all the treasure and earn all the quest rewards. The meatshields can be renewed with impunity after every adventure, since they're not earning much.
    Elves and Wizards can use magic, though the elf is limited to choosing either earth or fire magic. Each magic element carries with it a handful of spells: they're similar to the
    Elves and Wizards can use magic, though the elf is limited to choosing either earth or fire magic. Each magic element carries with it a handful of spells: they're similar to the "domains" in D&D. I tend to go with Earth for its defensive and healing magic, but there's something to be said for burning opponents alive without ever engaging them.
    One of the early quests, Prince Magnus's Gold is a great first choice because it's fairly easy and nets you a big cash reward, especially if you're patient enough to grab all three chests and return them. Having a stack of gold coins early on is very helpful.
    One of the early quests, Prince Magnus's Gold is a great first choice because it's fairly easy and nets you a big cash reward, especially if you're patient enough to grab all three chests and return them. Having a stack of gold coins early on is very helpful.
    The elf immediately proves his worth by doing absolutely nothing to this weak goblin. There are combat rounds where the attacker won't roll any skulls whatsoever, and the two combatants just kinda stand there staring at each other. And then the above message pops up and it's a source of inadvertent comedy every time.
    The elf immediately proves his worth by doing absolutely nothing to this weak goblin. There are combat rounds where the attacker won't roll any skulls whatsoever, and the two combatants just kinda stand there staring at each other. And then the above message pops up and it's a source of inadvertent comedy every time.
    The dwarf's a bit better at fighting, but the core idea here is to keep him out of harm's way. Still, there's nothing to be risked by being the attacker: it's only on the enemy's turn when they can damage you.
    The dwarf's a bit better at fighting, but the core idea here is to keep him out of harm's way. Still, there's nothing to be risked by being the attacker: it's only on the enemy's turn when they can damage you.
    The elf's magic comes in useful, and can be cast on any character within line of sight, which I think can include characters off screen but otherwise visible though I didn't test it. If I ever wanted to buff up my dwarf or heal him, the options are there. Magic can be case via the lightning bolt icon on the far right. (Oh, and the other two - the satchel and the parchment - are the equipment bag, for potions and toolkit use, and the map respectively.)
    The elf's magic comes in useful, and can be cast on any character within line of sight, which I think can include characters off screen but otherwise visible though I didn't test it. If I ever wanted to buff up my dwarf or heal him, the options are there. Magic can be case via the lightning bolt icon on the far right. (Oh, and the other two - the satchel and the parchment - are the equipment bag, for potions and toolkit use, and the map respectively.)
    Through careful exploration, I've determined that this room can go screw itself. It has two orcs and two exits, and those exits are attached to the same corridor. There's no cash or XP to be earned fighting enemies, usually, and they rarely chase you through rooms so it's best to ignore them if possible.
    Through careful exploration, I've determined that this room can go screw itself. It has two orcs and two exits, and those exits are attached to the same corridor. There's no cash or XP to be earned fighting enemies, usually, and they rarely chase you through rooms so it's best to ignore them if possible.
    The goal of this adventure. These three chests each contain 250GP, and the quest was to bring them back to the exit. You can only carry one chest at a time and they'll weigh you down, forcing you to move half as many squares per turn. You
    The goal of this adventure. These three chests each contain 250GP, and the quest was to bring them back to the exit. You can only carry one chest at a time and they'll weigh you down, forcing you to move half as many squares per turn. You "roll" your movement every turn and it's based on the result of two D6 dice (i.e. regular ol' dice). With the chest, that's only one D6.
    I forget what happens if you choose to screw over the Prince and keep the gold, but I'm an honorable elf and decide to hand it back. You still get a reward of 200GP, which makes me wonder why the Prince would even bother. Maybe he just doesn't want the bad guys to have it.
    I forget what happens if you choose to screw over the Prince and keep the gold, but I'm an honorable elf and decide to hand it back. You still get a reward of 200GP, which makes me wonder why the Prince would even bother. Maybe he just doesn't want the bad guys to have it.
    You then have the choice of going back for more chests or bailing, and I opted for the latter. The elf doesn't need to earn any more cash and he's almost dead regardless.
    You then have the choice of going back for more chests or bailing, and I opted for the latter. The elf doesn't need to earn any more cash and he's almost dead regardless.
    Now it's the dwarf's turn to make the return trip with a chest. Doesn't help that I keep rolling 1s. Who am I, Drew?
    Now it's the dwarf's turn to make the return trip with a chest. Doesn't help that I keep rolling 1s. Who am I, Drew?
    Fortunately, the game didn't arbitrarily throw enemies at me while I was trying to escape, and the dwarf joins his elven friend with one chest and a 200GP reward. With one body point left, there's no way I'm risking another lap around this godforsaken hole.
    Fortunately, the game didn't arbitrarily throw enemies at me while I was trying to escape, and the dwarf joins his elven friend with one chest and a 200GP reward. With one body point left, there's no way I'm risking another lap around this godforsaken hole.
    The dwarf had just enough for a battleaxe, the strongest weapon, but not enough for the chain mail so I opted for a mix of offensive and defensive equipment. I also bought the elf a broadsword, since he's going to be on bodyguard duty for a little while longer. Who can say where our adventurous spirit will take us next?
    The dwarf had just enough for a battleaxe, the strongest weapon, but not enough for the chain mail so I opted for a mix of offensive and defensive equipment. I also bought the elf a broadsword, since he's going to be on bodyguard duty for a little while longer. Who can say where our adventurous spirit will take us next?

I still think HeroQuest holds up, but it's worth noting that despite all the RPG trappings it's very much a virtual board game and not a particularly complex one at that. It's a very scaled-down version of a party-based Warhammer scenario, and perhaps not the ideal substitute for the real thing.

There's been a few full-featured RPGs and strategy games set in the fantasy Warhammer universe that offer a lot more than HeroQuest, not to mention a vast number of CRPGs set in similar fantasy lands, but HeroQuest offers something a bit different with its board game dungeoneering and the opportunity to have one or more friends cooperating/competing with you for gold and glory. (I still like Space Crusade more, though!)

(Back to the ST-urday ST-orehouse.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.