Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Horizon Zero Dawn

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 28, 2017

Explore a lush, post-apocalyptic world inhabited by robotic beasts while uncovering secrets of the past.

Are the side quests meaningful?

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Hey gang,

I've just put about 8 hours into the game so far and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm just up to the big camp after you blow up that large cache of explosives and then kill all the bad guys in it. I know there's in world names for them, but I've forgot, so whatever.

I'm in the big camp, and there's been about 5/6 side quests opened up to me. Now I'm wondering if this stuff is worth doing? I've not TOO FAR come off The Witcher 3, where it felt like all the side content was as crafted as the main quest stuff, and the quality of the writing, aswell as the rewards made it feel well worth getting into. I already know I'm not going to do the "trails" where you hunt X monsters with Y different weapons, as that stuff is fucking boring. I am however somewhat intrigued by the other side content.

For those of you who've done it, is it worth me doing? I'd hate to burn out on the game because I spent too much time doing side quest stuff, and have the main game feel boring to actually get to complete.

Cheers lads!

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By odinsmana

I really liked it. The writing in the sidequests is really good and they do a good job of mixing up what you`re doing. I will definetly say that it`s worth doing. Especially if you`re interested in the world since the sidequests do a good job of fleshing it out. They even tie into the main quest in some neat ways.

And yeah you should do enough trials to get into the lodge. It has a pretty great chain of quests that are not just "kill x amount of y".

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By turboman

@matoya:The trials one actually only does the "kill this amount of enemies" sidequest once or twice before you get into the main missions for that one. I enjoyed where that string of sidequests went.

I only went after the sidequests when I needed a break from the story, there aren't many that stand out in my head a month after I've beaten the game. Do the ones that are connected to the characters that you've met during the main quest.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Some of the quests are worth doing, and if you care about getting achievements, you'll need to complete a certain few of them.

There are definitely stand-out side quests, the one with the girl on the island is particularly great (I don't want to spoil it). Most of them however are pretty cookie-cutter and the rewards you get (other than hunter quests) are mediocre at best.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By burncoat

I actually found the Trials to be pretty fun and a good way of learning new weapons and playstyles. I found the NPCs handling the Trials to be some of the more interesting character's. I don't like that they gate some good storylines, but they are worth it.

There are some great side quests, but I'd only go into them if you want to learn more about the world and the different tribes. You don't get much material worth out of them, but the characters can be pretty great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Humanity

@matoya: In short? Not at all! Some of it is ok and a few of the bigger sidequests factor into the game ending in this really light and almost shoehorned in manner, but other than that the writing for the side stuff is not all that great and neither are the rewards. To be honest Horizons biggest strength is the combat, everything outside of it is not all that amazing, main quest included.

neurotic_ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By neurotic_ape

I find that the side-quests have yet to be a chore. I'm lord knows how many hours into it, just hit level 43, and am on my way to a level 18 main quest-line quest. So yeah, I've been busy. There's a lot to do. Some stuff I let wait or don't' feel like doing at that moment...because I've got a quest I'm aiming to complete or an area I'm trying to explore.

Play the game as you wish, I hear when complete, you can load right back into the game just before the final encounter and go about the side-stuff if you so choose. There's no harm in accepting a quest and outright ignoring it either. Just have fun with the game.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LeStephan

I did almost all the sidequest first and was SUPER done with the game by the time I was wrapping up the story.

The length of the main story by itself would've been perfect for me, I thought the gameplay of fighting the robots to become a real chore after 20-30 hours/ by the time I had encountered every specie multiple times. The main missions themselves are all very varied from each other but the fact I had already fought every robot multiple times in sidemissions before encountering them in their story mission comletely made said encounters lose impact to me.

I personally wish I would've just kept going with the main story intead and kept the sidequests for whenever I'd want to jump back in. Now, I've had way more than my fill of it and probably wont jump back in any time soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I got pretty burnt out on this game by focusing on side stuff and crafting. There's some good writing but also a lot of similar situations of go find someone and save them.

I'm ignoring them now and just focusing on the main story, unless an interesting one pops up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.