Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 26, 2009

inFamous is a third-person open-world action game in which players take control of Cole, an urban explorer / bike messenger changed by a mysterious blast that grants him electricity-based superpowers.

Only one unimpressed by this game?

• 81 results
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Deusoma

I think it's a fantastic game, it actually makes me feel heroic when people come up to me and tell me how much they respect me, how impressed they are by my one man war on crime, AKA "The Human Pikachu VS the Freaks of the Week".

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By keyhunter

If I ever want to play an open world 3rd person game, I will play some more Saints Row 2.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By MeierTheRed
    mordukai said:
    Nothing good will come from this thread.
    Bonus points, for speaking the truth.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By Milkman

Christ, here we go. As soon as people start to praise a game, there has been these "hardcore" dumbasses who come in and harp on the game for no reason. You didn't even play the full game and you're complaints were "THE GUYS LOOK DUMB WHEN THEY DIE". This is what I hate about, not just the gaming community, but fucking people in general, just because something is even a little popular doesn't mean that it needs to be "un-hardcore" to like it. No but instead idiots splurge over games like  fucking World of Goo. Why? Because it's indie and "hardcore". Fucking pathetic. This game is fucking fantastic. And if you're going to try and refute that then give a fucking good reason besides "THAT GUY IS WEARING A TRASH BAG! GAAAYYY!"

By the way, World of Goo sucks.

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By twillfast

The inFamous demo was way longer than I expected. The only big square I have with it is that if the story of the game isn't orgasmic I could probably get all I want from the game out of just playing the demo. I sort of realized that the most fun I had with it was standing on a rooftop, throwing evil grenades at pedestrians and watching cars blow up.

Also I liked World of Goo.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By pause422

About half people loved Assassins Creed, and the other half felt it was a snore, I'm of the latter. Are you seriously knocking inFamous because you actually jump up buildings? Because sometimes you can't just go up to ao wall and hold down the A button and automatically climb up with no effort what so ever? God forbid you have the ability to maneuver around a little bit. The game is what it is though...its an open world shooter/action game with great platforming elements tied into a superhero story. If you aren't into it, its your own fault for not paying attention to what type of game it is, don't play it then, no one is making you.

Try Prototype I guess when it comes out I guess and see if that does anything for you since they're are a bit similar.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By zagzagovich

It's kind of silly to call a game generic when there was only one or two similar ones, don't you think? Also it was said right from the beginning that the game is practically Crackdown on PS3 so it's even sillier to complain about that.

Also I would like to point out that AC really didn't have climbing controls. Holding a button and sometimes changing direction is not really climbing. It looked impressive but made for a dull experience. That's why I would prefer jumping from ledge to ledge. It gives you more control over your movement and makes you think about your next jump. Don't want to derail the thread but it seems that everything you could do in AC was either indirect or delayed. Just like climbing it made for very fluid animation but you would just get bored out of your mind doing the same thing over and over again (gameplay structure didn't help either).

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TheGremp
    pause422 said:
    About half people loved Assassins Creed, and the other half felt it was a snore, I'm of the latter. Are ... [more]
    I'm personally of the former.  Although it definitely wasn't interesting as a gameplay mechanic, the animations in the game were phenomenal if you ask me.  I kinda have a thing for good animation, so I guess it's just me.  The climbing mechanic in inFamous is probably the one thing that interests me...  In fact, I'd probably spend most of the game climbing random buildings.  It looks like a polished, more open-ended version of Crackdown's system.  I know I've mentioned Crackdown a lot in my posts, but I just can't get over the similarities.  I can't count the times that Vinny and Brad said something like "Oh, like in Crackdown." On the Quick Look.

The climbing looks good, but the combat and story just don't impress me.  Once again...  All of this = opinion.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By vidiot

I have to admit, I didn't exactly see the big deal until I purchased the game which so far has been a billion times better than the demo. You really are missing something (as well as the story, which so far has been surprisingly good.) from that thing which really is only a fraction of the game.

And yes, this game is very "fluid". I had no problems jumping about buildings and running full sprint on a wire while shooting at an enemy with electricity during the first few hours.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By FCKSNAP

Before I head off to bed I wanna speak on the "ragdoll physics" thing: Not every game needs it; in fact I hate it when every time I see a game with such a minute feature as limp dead bodies, the PR people seem to take lots of time praising such a "unique" and "immersible feature" in press releases and the back-of-the-box.

Also, they do ragdoll; you have to hit them with a fatal blow to do it though, or else they lay there writhing in pain for you to either bio-leech or constrain them. And it's not like they flop about when you do it, it happens mostly when the enemies/civilians are airborn since, you know, you don't continue moving after you're dead. I mean, it's death, not a seizure.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By get2sammyb

People like the game because it's really fun dude. I see where your criticisms are coming from; but it's the pace of the action that makes inFamous so fun. There is nothing like throwing a ton of grenades, watching the scenery subsequently explode, jumping to a lampost and up to the nearest building, slamming down and watching the scenery explode again, before zooming in sniping a few enemies, and waiting for it to happen all over again.

It'll be a long time before I get bored of inFamous' combat. I want more already.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Drebin_893

You're not alone. I love it, but Brendan Sincalair hates it.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By Red
    TheMustacheHero said:
    So I played the demo of inFAMOUS and I have to say I was unimpressed, I thought this was actually ... [more]
    1. You played a demo.
    2. The animation in InFamous is incredible.
    3. Crackdown had super jumping, this game doesn't.
    4. Static Shock was a horrible show. The main draw of the show was that it was an African American superhero, not that it was actually a good show.
    5. Empire City is destroyed.
    6. There is a reason for it, that is discovered.
    7. You played a demo.
    Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Phaseshift

this whole thread made me laugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Downloading the demo. I will bless all of you with my opinion when ready. The choice between inFamous and Prototype may turn out to be a double wallet dip.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started off a little underwhelmed by the train mission, so i decided to turn the tide on the moral meter; it helped. The combat is great, regardless, but there is something a lot more satisfying about the red powers overall. Great design (though the reapers could become tired fast - lets hope for a few more enemy types in the main game), weighty controls and its a lot of fun. Going to venture out and buy it tomorrow.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By thiago
    FCKSNAP said:
    Before I head off to bed I wanna speak on the "ragdoll physics" thing: Not every game needs it; in ... [more]

Rag doll is a marketing buzz word. It only makes sense when you hit someone with some heavy weapon like a rocket, or some collision, like a car running over someone. Then the explosion or car would eject the model a certain distance.

All other uses are terrible. In Half-Life 2 it is really unrealistic to shoot someone in the foot and see them to drop dead like a lifeless doll. Come on! What vital organs are located in someone's feet? They should bleed for some time before passing out, not just drop dead.

That's why the animations in Killzone 2 are so good. They have ragdoll physics, but the enemies' deaths are actually animated.
    Avatar image for theworstplayerever
    TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I kind of felt the same way after playing the demo. Having played a bunch of third person games in this vein (i.e. Crackdown, Assasin's Creed, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, etc.) I feel like this is just another generic game in that genre. I feel like the powers are kind of lame as they are basically just guns disquised as electric attacks and the city, while open, looks very similar and is fairly boring. The one thing that makes this game different from the others is the moral choice system and that has been milked so much in so many different genres that I'm kind of over it

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Pibo47

I am disapointed and excited about infamous at the same time.
    I love the combat
    But there are only like...4-5 combat ablities, and thats a good number...but when games like prototype have like...10...it seems a little weak. That and there is no stealth, a problem i had wth crackdown that i also have with infamous. Funny enough another thing prototype did right. Im not trying to make this a prototype is the shit post, but just some things that have kinda bothered me. Cant wait to play the game today though!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By The_A_Drain

Do you people even know what ragdoll physics are? And no, I don't just mean "hurr hurr, he falls down and his arms flail" there are much better, much more realistic alternatives to ragdoll physics in this day and age, and yes, inFamous does in fact have ragdoll physics. I was watching my housemate play through the demo and you have to be blind not to notice them.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By get2sammyb
    Pibo47 said:
    I am disapointed and excited about infamous at the same time.I love the combatBut there are only like...4-5 combat ablities, ... [more]
    There are stealth missions. They're not the best though.

I haven't played Prototype yet but surely the jury is still out - inFamous may only have a few combat abilities, but they're all really fun. The grenades, rocket launcher and particularly sniper are all brilliant. I'm sure there are more than 5 abilities though. Let me do a quick count:

1. Standard zap.
    2. Grenades.
    3. Shockwave.
    4. Rocket.
    5. Drop-blast thing (when you jump).
    6. Melee.
    7. Sniper.
    8. This one you unlock really late on where you have to press L1 and R2. It's like a homing thing.
    9. Electric tornado thing.
    There may be another one or two I'm missing too. Also don't forget that the weapons are significantly different depending on the type of character you play.

I lurveee the sniper though. I'm so shit at snipers in other games, that I love the Resistance and inFamous ones that slow down time.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By get2sammyb
    @GetEveryone: There are three main "factions", each with different enemy types. I personally love these MASSIVE junk robot things.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#73  Edited By EpicSteve

You're no going to win. Their are too many people on this forum who can't handle opinions that aren't popular. I love inFAMOUS, but I don't fell like it's special, just meh.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#74  Edited By EpicSteve
    Red said:
    TheMustacheHero said: So I played the demo of inFAMOUS and I have to say I was unimpressed, I thought this ... [more]
    There's a problem with your fourth complaint ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@get2sammyb: Ah, thanks dude. My purchase feels a little more justified; didn't fancy a whole game versus the hooded guys. Everything is 27% better when GIANT FUCKING ROBOTS are added to the equation. This is mathematically sound.

Edit: I think with the special edition you are given a PSN code for an exclusive ability. 
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By JoelTGM

I was the same way, the demo didn't impress me much, but trust me, the full game is amazing.  When you actually get out in the open world, and are immersed in everything that's happening, you will be impressed I'm sure.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By TheGremp
    get2sammyb said:
    People like the game because it's really fun dude. I see where your criticisms are coming from; but it's the ... [more]
    Yes there is.  It's called "Crackdown".  Except for that lamp-post bit.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By get2sammyb
    TheGremp said:
    get2sammyb said: People like the game because it's really fun dude. I see where your criticisms are coming from; but ... [more]
    Oh shush. inFamous isn't the first game to be guilty of drawing comparisons to another so stop pretending like it is a lesser game because it shares a few similarities with another good game.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79  Edited By gamefreak9

Hm personally my main dissapointment is that its too short, i mean yeah sure running around the city is fun and killing people, a bit like GTA, for awhile. I mean seriously how can ppl like this game so much... i mean i finished it twice, got all the extra stuff done, put on the shelf and probably wont pull it out until someone comes over and i want to show it off... 

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By get2sammyb
    gamefreak9 said:
    Hm personally my main dissapointment is that its too short, i mean yeah sure running around the city is fun ... [more]
    Are you one of those that demands multiplayer in every game because the modern generation has taught you how a game is not worth £40 unless it's Call Of Duty?

It must have took you upwards of 30 hours to get the platinum trophy? That's roughly what, £1.33 per hour of entertainment?

Of course, if you really didn't enjoy it, I'd ask why you bothered playing through to the platinum. What exactly is your grievance, sir?
    darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#81  Edited By darkspirit138

I dont think its a massive problem that you dislike this game; a tonne of people really hated Metal Gear Solid 4. But to everybody arguing, its just ONE game. Its not like he is going to bomb Sucker Punch because they didnt perform to the dudes standards. But everyone thats saying INfamous is a great game against the guys that arent, just go and play it. The people that are saying INfamous didnt reach their expectations, go play something that did. Also, everyone send cake to me.

But, just outta interest, what games do you enjoy playing, MoustacheHero?

willylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By willylo
    CowMuffins said:
    PercyChuggs said: I usually don't play this card, but if you think the climbing and jumping in this game is ... [more]

Odd that you say the climbing and jump mechanics are clunky as to where most actual reviews glorify this game for doing those quite well...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.