Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infestation: Survivor Stories

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Dec 17, 2012

Formerly called The War Z, this infamous clone of the popular ARMA II mod "DayZ" is best known for the many controversies surrounding its launch, subsequent removal from Steam, and the unapologetic stance of its developers.

I dont understand all the hate?

• 58 results
    scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By scottp

I have been playing this game for a hour and I like it quite a bit. What is everyone's beef?

LassieME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By LassieME

It has zombies in it. (Just for the record, I like WarZ quite a bit)

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By kraznor

Judging by perpetual outrage on reddit, seems people don't like the fact its in Alpha/Beta and they feel the description on Steam misrepresents the game's list of features.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By McGhee

Apparently, the developers are complete liars and the game plays like shit.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Omega

@McGhee said:

You heard it here first folks, Game of the Year 2012.

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By cronus42

Its the shady things being done by the company more than anything. Its a fairly obvious ripoff of Day Z, down to the fact they started calling a big patch their "foundation" update. The Day Z team has been referring to the standalone as the foundation release since it was announced. This and other money grabbing strategies along with several accounts from former company members has made everything surrounding the game really frowned upon.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By CaLe

I'm bothered by the fact that this is topping Steam sales simply because it's a zombie game. This really needs to stop.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

My beef is that it is a shitty game that I regret buying.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nadril

It's just not fun. You wander around for hours in a bland, ugly world looking for gear. You hope that your 30+ minute trek to that town will be met with finding some sort of item, but more often than not you don't. After a while your new characters don't even start with a flashlight, so you literally have to run from every zombie while trying to find a fucking weapon. (apparently it's too tough to pick up a piece of fuckin wood or a stick or something).

Once you find an item, usually after several hours of mindless walking around, you can then start playing. You can kill zombies... except that they are painfully boring to fight and absolutely no challenge. There is no real reward for killing them either , although they will drop money every now and then to use in the store. (rarely).

You can also take part in the PvP aspect of the game. Now, despite how absolutely awful this game is PvP can always be enjoyable just due to the nature of the full loot rules. However, chances are your PvP in this game will be camping in a small town, on a small server waiting for some sap to walk by so you can gank them really quick and take their stuff. Actual Fire fights are a rare happening. What is not so rare are hackers. Chances are if you wander into any slightly larger city on a slightly larger server you will just get headshot from across the map from a hacker. You'll lose your hours of mindless work (and I goddamn well mean work) to a hacker that the War-Z devs give zero fucks about.

And that really is the War-Z experience. Hell, most of the time I would wander around, finally find a melee weapon only to get shot in the back from some guy. Or I'll spawn with just a flashlight (or nothing, even) and get killed just as I get to an actual city. I fucking love PvP, and I love full-loot, but War-Z is a fucking pathetic excuse for a game. It's ugly, runs poorly, is infested with hackers and is just no fun to play. I've never played Day-Z so I don't know how similar the two are, but you should stay the fuck away from War-Z. I honestly don't know how people can defend this game at all.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By EpicSteve

I haven't played it and can't attest to the game's quality. But mainly from an outsider's perspective, it's the description of the game doesn't match what it actually is. For instance, it sells itself on fighting against "waves of undead", when in fact zombies are few and far between and the main opponents are other players. Another instance is the land mass is much smaller than how it was sold. All this is me just regurgitating info from a Kotaku article, so take this info with a grain of salt.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

The false advertisement seems pretty egregious.

Also, even though I find TotalBiscuit kind of grating at times, his video pretty much explains everything bad about the game.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By YOU_DIED

@Omega said:

@McGhee said:

You heard it here first folks, Game of the Year 2012.

awful unbalanced game, not fun, 10/10 would play again

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@Fredddi43 said:

Well there's this thread on reddit from an ex moderator of the forum and he spilled quite a bit of dirt on the devs and their methods (random banning to sell more copies, missing features, etc...) and if that's true it sure is really bad. Then there's the issue of missing skills and small maps in the "final" version on Steam, and that many people (including me) feel like it's a ripoff of DayZ.

the mod came out awhile ago and confesed

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By canucks23
    Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

• False advertising
    • Shady business practices
    • They copied the League of Legends Terms of Service.
    • The product is being marketed and sold as a finished product- when its still an alpha at best

And then some.

And also- the being (or beings) that made Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing are at least partially behind this project.

That alone should prove to you that these developers are not humans- they are MONEY GRUBBING DEMONS WHO MUST BE PURGED FROM EXISTENCE. D:

>_>

<_<

:P

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@canucks23: well the part about it being cheaper isnt true i guess true but they gave people $25 of in game money last patch

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Icecreamjones

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Fredddi43 said:

Well there's this thread on reddit from an ex moderator of the forum and he spilled quite a bit of dirt on the devs and their methods (random banning to sell more copies, missing features, etc...) and if that's true it sure is really bad. Then there's the issue of missing skills and small maps in the "final" version on Steam, and that many people (including me) feel like it's a ripoff of DayZ.

Here's the thing about that: 90 percent of the things he claimed were already well known facts about the devs. Also his 'retraction' seems really half-hearted, like doesn't mean it. I'd put money on Sergey - already a shady piece of shit developer, as shown in his condescending responses to peoples complaints - bribing or threatening him.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jrinswand
    @Nadril said:

It's just not fun. You wander around for hours in a bland, ugly world looking for gear. You hope that your 30+ minute trek to that town will be met with finding some sort of item, but more often than not you don't. After a while your new characters don't even start with a flashlight, so you literally have to run from every zombie while trying to find a fucking weapon. (apparently it's too tough to pick up a piece of fuckin wood or a stick or something).

Once you find an item, usually after several hours of mindless walking around, you can then start playing. You can kill zombies... except that they are painfully boring to fight and absolutely no challenge. There is no real reward for killing them either , although they will drop money every now and then to use in the store. (rarely).

You can also take part in the PvP aspect of the game. Now, despite how absolutely awful this game is PvP can always be enjoyable just due to the nature of the full loot rules. However, chances are your PvP in this game will be camping in a small town, on a small server waiting for some sap to walk by so you can gank them really quick and take their stuff. Actual Fire fights are a rare happening. What is not so rare are hackers. Chances are if you wander into any slightly larger city on a slightly larger server you will just get headshot from across the map from a hacker. You'll lose your hours of mindless work (and I goddamn well mean work) to a hacker that the War-Z devs give zero fucks about.

And that really is the War-Z experience. Hell, most of the time I would wander around, finally find a melee weapon only to get shot in the back from some guy. Or I'll spawn with just a flashlight (or nothing, even) and get killed just as I get to an actual city. I fucking love PvP, and I love full-loot, but War-Z is a fucking pathetic excuse for a game. It's ugly, runs poorly, is infested with hackers and is just no fun to play. I've never played Day-Z so I don't know how similar the two are, but you should stay the fuck away from War-Z. I honestly don't know how people can defend this game at all.

The problem with The War Z is that you just perfectly described DayZ.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azteck

So many things. So, so many things.

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Icecreamjones

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/the-war-z-no-longer-available-on-steam/

Valve have pulled the game.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Well well, against all odds, Valve has actually stopped selling The WarZ. :O

I'm actually shocked Valve took action against it- given how well it was selling. >_>

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Trilogy

I've never played the game, but the other day a friend of mine linked me the steam page for WarZ as if to say "hey check this out". I was immediately put off, because it seems like it's a game that charges you up front, and then also has micro transactions. I told him it looked shady and by reading what you guys have to say about the game, it seems like I wasn't far off from the truth. Maybe I have good gaming instincts.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Jrinswand said:
    @Nadril said:

The problem with The War Z is that you just perfectly described DayZ.
    I was going to say just this.
    Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Canteu

False Advertising, along with being all the way illegal, has the ability to piss people off quite easily.

And, pay for items, that you lose upon death. Nope. Noooooooope.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka: Well Valve love money, but they don't like bad publicity.

Avatar image for deactivated-649f07b15d7b8
    deactivated-649f07b15d7b8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scottp said:

I have been playing this game for a hour and I like it quite a bit. What is everyone's beef?

If you like it, keep playing it. I'm sure by now you've gotten your money's worth. :)

People on the internet like to feel consoled by convincing others to believe what they believe... for some reason.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

Well well, against all odds, Valve has actually stopped selling The WarZ. :O

I'm actually shocked Valve took action against it- given how well it was selling. >_>

They've got some not-terrible business people then, 'cause anyone could tell you that getting #1 on the Steam charts now and losing all face for selling a hunk of incomplete shit is a bad risk to take.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ch3burashka

Kotaku summed it up pretty well - the game and the drama surrounding it has mostly been a shitshow.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mighty

I love the concept, but the execution is not good at all. I've had some good experiences playing with a couple of my buddies, us all sitting in our dorm rooms and yelling, but if you ever try and play it solo, it's zero fun at all.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@zeekthegeek said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Fredddi43 said:

Here's the thing about that: 90 percent of the things he claimed were already well known facts about the devs. Also his 'retraction' seems really half-hearted, like doesn't mean it. I'd put money on Sergey - already a shady piece of shit developer, as shown in his condescending responses to peoples complaints - bribing or threatening him.

your saying you don't trust the developer of big rigs to make a quality product?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#31  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

And also- the being (or beings) that made Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing are at least partially behind this project.

That alone should prove to you that these developers are not humans- they are MONEY GRUBBING DEMONS WHO MUST BE PURGED FROM EXISTENCE. D:

Sergei Titov was listed as co-founder and owner of Stellar Stone (developer of Big Rigs), and seems to have been the main spokesperson or community manager for War Z. Seems like he had a major development role as well, when reading through the official forums for that game. Quite a fascinating story.

theslothking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By theslothking

This sums up most of it.

Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Residentrevil2

What are the chances it'll be back on steam next year? I wanted to see Patrick play the game...too bad.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

There is a 11 page thread on their forums with a dev arguing that the screen shots on steam are real. But he has no way to prove it. No videos nothing at all.

idBloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By idBloc

@TheSlothKing: my ears are bleeding; this video was awful

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Barrabas

@Residentrevil2: The game is still out there, just not on steam. There's nothing stopping him from playing it right now if he really wanted to. I doubt he does though.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Ok, the real reason everyone hates this game: DayZ is a slightly better game. That's it. All this other crap about it still being in beta and false advertising are just fuel for everyone to take in and regurgitate back out. And that TotalBiscuit vid is total garbage. He's complaining about the graphics of a budget game. Meh.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By JoeyRavn

@SirOptimusPrime said:

Also, even though I find TotalBiscuit kind of grating at times, his video pretty much explains everything bad about the game.

No matter how hard I try, I will never be able to tolerate this TotalBiscuit guy. While he's right about this game being shit, his anti-Steam pro-Apple rant was extremely retarded. A lenghty, thorough approval process on iOS? Yeah, sure. How does he explain cases like this? And what the fuck does taking a jab at Dear Esther for being "boring" (hint: you didn't play the game right) benefit any part of his review?

Yeah. Can't stand him.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SlashDance

@JoeyRavn: Not to derail the subject, but how can you play Dear Esther wrong when all you have to do (all you can do, for that matter) is walk in a straight line ?

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The new claim is thy the reason the screen shots that are on steam do not match the game because the screen shots where taken on another version of the game that was not releases becuase it was not optimized.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@PollySMPS said:

@JoeyRavn: I have a problem with anybody naming themselves "The Angry" The Cynical" or anything along those lines. Just what the internet needs! More faux-cynicism and anger. Yes, we totally believe you're SO ANGRY AT ALL THESE GAMES YOU TOTALLY JUST HAVE TO BE FORCED TO PLAY!

Today im announcing my new game channel guys The Angry Cynical Video Game Geek or ACVGG for short

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By living4theday258
    Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Hawkerace
    No Caption Provided

-cough-

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By august

Professionalism!

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Corvak

It's become less a question of game quality (lots of games release as beta, especially Minecraft, beloved by the gaming community in general. Valve's own Dota 2 comes to mind as well) and more about the ethics surrounding marketing and managing a community.

The bannings, how they deal with criticism, and the features list on Steam, and copying directly from League of Legends are the big issues, even more than the fact that it's a DayZ clone. Valve considered the inconsistent and often straight up false feature list grounds for de-listing, for example.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Love how Sergey now says he is all depressed and wants to stop developing games.

Course you want to stop when you are called out on your bullshit.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Love how Sergey now says he is all depressed and wants to stop developing games. Course you want to stop when you are called out on your bullshit.

your still on this? even reddit has stopped caring now

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @connerthekewlkid

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Love how Sergey now says he is all depressed and wants to stop developing games. Course you want to stop when you are called out on your bullshit.

your still on this? even reddit has stopped caring now

And your still here as well. Also who cares about reddit?

Sergey got caught trying to pull some bullshit and now he is trying to play a pity card. But then opens his stupid mouth about the patent thing and shows everyone he doesn't know what he is talking about at all.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ravenlight

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Sergey got caught trying to pull some bullshit and now he is trying to play a pity card. But then opens his stupid mouth about the patent thing and shows everyone he doesn't know what he is talking about at all.

I seriously hope he's faced with legal action for his part in the War Z debacle. There has to be some sort of repercussions when somebody is that much of a failure at being a decent human being.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.