Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infinity Ward

Company »

Founded by ex-2015 employees, Infinity Ward is a game development company known for its highly acclaimed Call of Duty franchise.

The Infinity Ward Rumor Mill Continues To Churn

• 72 results
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad

Will we ever see the end of that cliffhanger? At this point, who knows?
    Predictably, the Internet rumor mill is abuzz after Activisionfired the two studio heads from Modern Warfare 2 developer Infinity Ward yesterday, citing "insubordination." We'll probably never know definitively what really happened to cause such a drastic action on the part of Activision's management, but here are a couple of particularly startling nuggets that would put an interesting spin on the situation, if they turned out to be true.

Over at CNBC, Chris Morris plunges into the murky waters of the financial world:

[Activision] did not reveal further details for the action and did not return calls for comment. Broadpoint AmTech analyst Ben Schachter, in a note to analysts, pointed out, though, that there has been recent chatter on Wall Street “regarding possible M&A [mergers and acquisitions] interest about Infinity Ward from private equity firms and others.”

Was Infinity Ward pondering a break from its parent company and back to independence, the way Bungie did a few years ago? That sort of behind-the-scenes maneuvering would seem to imply that. Plus, anytime you invoke "Wall Street" things start sounding really heavy and important.

Then Binge Gamer goes and makes the claim that Activision hasn't paid Infinity Ward any royalties yet, out of the mind-boggling billion-plus dollars the game has brought in to date. Of course, we have no idea what kind of royalty agreement was even in place (if any), but what's one more log on a roaring inferno at this point?

Infinity Ward has yet to be paid a single dime in royalties for Modern Warfare 2, which has earned Activision over one billion dollars in revenue. (NOTE: To clarify, everyone who spoke with me mentioned this. Whether or not IW and Activision had an agreement in place for royalty payments is unknown at this time. It’s just curious that everyone brought this up.)

Anyway, unless somebody makes a public statement clarifying exactly what went on yesterday and in the preceding weeks, this is all just grist for the mill.  We'll probably never know for sure. But when something this hard to believe happens, you must attempt to rationalize it somehow. In a world where God of Warfare may be on the horizon, you'll make sense of this stuff any way you can.
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad

Predictably, the Internet rumor mill is abuzz after Activisionfired the two studio heads from Modern Warfare 2 developer Infinity Ward yesterday, citing "insubordination." We'll probably never know definitively what really happened to cause such a drastic action on the part of Activision's management, but here are a couple of particularly startling nuggets that would put an interesting spin on the situation, if they turned out to be true.

Over at CNBC, Chris Morris plunges into the murky waters of the financial world:

[Activision] did not reveal further details for the action and did not return calls for comment. Broadpoint AmTech analyst Ben Schachter, in a note to analysts, pointed out, though, that there has been recent chatter on Wall Street “regarding possible M&A [mergers and acquisitions] interest about Infinity Ward from private equity firms and others.”

Was Infinity Ward pondering a break from its parent company and back to independence, the way Bungie did a few years ago? That sort of behind-the-scenes maneuvering would seem to imply that. Plus, anytime you invoke "Wall Street" things start sounding really heavy and important.

Then Binge Gamer goes and makes the claim that Activision hasn't paid Infinity Ward any royalties yet, out of the mind-boggling billion-plus dollars the game has brought in to date. Of course, we have no idea what kind of royalty agreement was even in place (if any), but what's one more log on a roaring inferno at this point?

Infinity Ward has yet to be paid a single dime in royalties for Modern Warfare 2, which has earned Activision over one billion dollars in revenue. (NOTE: To clarify, everyone who spoke with me mentioned this. Whether or not IW and Activision had an agreement in place for royalty payments is unknown at this time. It’s just curious that everyone brought this up.)

Anyway, unless somebody makes a public statement clarifying exactly what went on yesterday and in the preceding weeks, this is all just grist for the mill.  We'll probably never know for sure. But when something this hard to believe happens, you must attempt to rationalize it somehow. In a world where God of Warfare may be on the horizon, you'll make sense of this stuff any way you can.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By sjupp

Truth, get!

God of Warfare does sound like a pretty awesome game.

Ataxia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ataxia

really interesting to see how this will pan out. Thanks for keeping us posted guys. :)
    jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jonnyboy

Not really sure what to believe in all of this. It's pretty murky. Hopefully we'll get some solid information soon.

Jehuty_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Jehuty_X

Will we ever see the end of that cliffhanger? At this point, who cares?

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Pkshields

God of Warfare is a great name.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By RobotHamster
    @Jehuty_X said:
    "   Will we ever see the end of that cliffhanger? At this point, who cares? "
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hot_Karl

"I love rumors! Facts can be so misleading, where rumors, true or false, are often revealing."

This is quite a debacle, on so many levels. I don't really like what Activision is supposedly doing with the brand name, but they're a business first and foremost. They need to make that money one way or another. Also I have this feeling that the action-adventure game will basically be a Saboteurrip-off, except more "realistic".

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Was EA really ever as evil as Activision?

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By baconbits33

Wow..... what they haven't paid any royalties.... fuck you Activision

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Gabriel

By Action-adventure and the head of Dead Space being in charge, I was thinking of a more 3rd person shooter than God of Warfare.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By august

I'm sure we'll know what happened, it just might be years from now.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

This story just keeps getting more and more bizzare. Certainly has kept my ears perked though.

Nyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nyro

The Plot Thickens.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Hamz

Infinity Ward's contract with Activision expires in October 2010 I believe, if West and Zampella were perhaps probing the market for a new publisher then there is every chance they tried to do so under the radar since they are still in a contract with Activision. If that is the case then the explanation as to why they were sacked so quickly begins to make sense.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sixghost
    @Pkshields said:
    " God of Warfare is a great name. "
    Please, who still calls it God of Warfare. Gorefare.
    benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By benderunit22

This week is bananas. First we get the ApocalyPS3 and now the seemingly untouchable Infinity Ward gets cut and Activision is whoring out Call of Duty even more than expected. Can't wait to see what tomorrow will bring.

Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Oy

I've never purchased a single COD or Guitar Hero game (only borrowed from others)....and I never will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By mattbodega

I would love to get West and Zampella in a room....and just talk to those guys. I mean, for all intents and purposes, they seem to have done everything right. They made nothing but successful, critically acclaimed titles.  They made one of the two most important (and one of the best) FPS games of the last decade. They made their corporate parents billions of dollars. And to see them get kicked out of the company they helped create? Are these guys who could still be down with making video games? Who wants to work in an industry where employees at the most successful developer of last year are still unsafe, even when they put out astounding work? I would love to hear those guys talk about how they feel about video games now, and if they could possibly stomach this industry enough to charge back into it. They certainly can write their own ticket, and go anywhere they want....but would they want to?

For some reason, I feel like Giant Bomb is the perfect website to deal with this story of wild speculation about corporate betrayal.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By crusnchill

Very shady. And yet I can imagine Activision would be willing to go this far. :-(

If IW haven't already recieved most, if not at least some royalties, I hope they do soon. There's people with families to look after that work at IW that deserve that money fair and square.

ShakeItBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShakeItBaby

Klepek's been working his assss off

superbobafett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By superbobafett

More franchise whoring is exactly what Activision doesn't need.  Did they learn nothing from Guitar Hero?   I'll just say that now, as far is the truly big boys go, Activision is the hare, and EA is the  tortoise.  Activision will burn out their franchises and destroy any profitability they will have in the long term if they continue to abuse not only the market, but their development studios as well - EA faced this problem a few years back and proactively re-structured the way they did business and yes, they are suffering for it a bit, but in the long run their loyalty to their customers will benefit them.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By sopranosfan

The drama behind the scenes at Activision has been a lot more interesting than the stories in their games recently. 

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Whisperkill

For like, the eighth time today "FUCK YOU ACTIVISION!!!"

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PhilESkyline

I think it's all a big joke. The same day BC is released, please MW has been silent about DLC and may be losing it's steam.   I wouldn't be surprised if they fired them from their current top titles only to move them into new titles somewhere else.  

If they wanted to keep it personal we wouldn't have found out about it. Anything to get press I tell ya.

*smh* @ G4 with the Blockbuster Headlines like CNN..."Breaking News..." lol.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By DukeTogo
    @baconbits33 said:
    " Wow..... what they haven't paid any royalties.... fuck you Activision "
    What an insightful and well-informed observation, and a clever jab as well.
    WholeFunShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#29  Edited By WholeFunShow
    Gamasutra says

"...Some media reports have inaccurately conflated this week's situation with outstanding royalties from Activision to Infinity Ward. But sources confirm to Gamasutra that Activision routinely pays royalties at the end of the quarter after which they were earned, which will begin next month, meaning the publisher is not overdue in its financial responsibilities..."

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Daroki
    @Brad: Have to disagree about the God of Warfare thing, I think they're going to make either Call of Duty: Soap's Fortune, World of Duty, or Call of Duty: Underground: Pearl Jam edition.
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By General_D23

A rumor that Gamasutra puts foward:  

Another source with knowledge of the situation tells Gamasutra that although Infinity Ward is only about 75 developers strong, Activision brass demanded layoffs at the studio anticipating a refusal -- which they received, potentially opening the door for Activision to use that refusal as a way to launch a breach suit that would help it escape its contract.

This is probably the closest rumor to a conspiracy theory that you can get at this point. 

Other rumors in this article state they could of wanted more money or didn't share infomation with Activision concerning MW2. 

Click Here

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I actually thought of Unwarfare 2: Call of Thieves when they said  action-adventure genre.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By baconbits33
    @DukeTogo said:
    " @baconbits33 said:
    " Wow..... what they haven't paid any royalties.... fuck you Activision "
    What an insightful and well-informed observation, and a clever jab as well. "
    You do realize that i posted that far before anyone found proof to show they managed to clear it right? And it wouldn't be a huge shocker if a huge company like Activision wasn't paying their royalties, if your involved in stock, CD's, Mutual Funds, basically any kind of investments whatsoever then you'll understand that this can happen quite a bit.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mnzy

I'm so hyped for Ocarina of Warfare!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Ok, this is where things get normal and predictable. 'We didn't get no money' vs. 'they be greedy traitor bitches'. I just want to know what was up with the bouncers.

championfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By championfetus

I can't help but be reminded of the lorax. 

The Gamer: Well, Mr. Kotick-ler?
     The Kotick-ler: Hmm. First poor Tony Hawk. Then the poor Guitar heros. Now the poor Call of Duties... oh, Mr. Gamer, Mr. Gamer... this cursed factory of mine! Now, at last, I understand.
    Mr. Wallstreet-ler: [over intercom] Mr. Kotick-ler! Mr. Kotick-ler!
    The Kotick-ler: Hmm? Oh, yes, Mr. Wallstreet-ler?
    Mr. Wallstreet-ler: Stock markets just closed, and Activision Inc. stock is up! Up 27 and 5/8 points!
    The Kotick-ler: Wow. Wow! Rowdy-dow!
    [to Gamer]
    The Kotick-ler: Now, you listen to me, Pop, while I blow my top! Games? Ha! You speak for the Games? Well I speak for Big Business, and Exploited Names! For your information, you gamer, I'm figgering on biggering and biggering, and biggering, and BIGGERING, Buying MORE Developers IP's! Which everyone, everyone, EVERYONE NEEDS!

Jinto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jinto

Heh, why make a new COD every year when we could have more developers make more COD's every month per month! Way to go Activistion!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By animateria
    @MarkWahlberg said:
    " Ok, this is where things get normal and predictable. 'We didn't get no money' vs. 'they be greedy traitor bitches'. I just want to know what was up with the bouncers. "
    Yo! Straight up dawg!
    Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nemesis

I feel bad for saying this, but it could turn out to be good. Their contract apparently ends on October of this year which means they could get the whole studio back and hopefully go back to being independent. It would give them in incentive to make their games even better. Maybe they could even be contracted by EA?

Either way, I wish everyone at IW the best... except for Failzerotwo. They really need to get a community manager that actually communicates with the community.

JumpingRetards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JumpingRetards
    @MattBodega said:
    "For some reason, I feel like Giant Bomb is the perfect website to deal with this story of wild speculation about corporate betrayal. "
    Amen brotha.
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By stephengotlost

I just want great IW titles to continue being made.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sickVisionz
    @WholeFnShow said:
    " Gamasutra says

"...Some media reports have inaccurately conflated this week's situation with outstanding royalties from Activision to Infinity Ward. But sources confirm to Gamasutra that Activision routinely pays royalties at the end of the quarter after which they were earned, which will begin next month, meaning the publisher is not overdue in its financial responsibilities..."

"
    I figured this was the case.  Royalties are usually paid out like that for music, movies, books, and pretty much any media based industry.
    Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tally_Pants

as long as this means no more COD games... i'm happy!
    MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MaddProdigy

A BILLION
    dude
    imma be a game designer
    seperately, that sounds outrageous IW wouldn't have recieved even a fraction of those royalties at this point. The games been out for months, the moneys still pouring in, if they haven't its because they were stupid with the contract, which I can't see them being considering they knew what a big game it was slated to be.Since even the official statement will most likely not give us the whole story, I'm more interested in where the two IW heads are going now. Blizzard maybe? Maybe their whole IW staff will quit and follow them to form some kind of epic new, streamlined, high tech game development studio of awsomeness? Thanks for all the updates GB, crazy story unfolding.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By AndrewB

Dante's Bayonetta of  Dark Warfare: Modern Litigation 3.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@championfetus said:
    " I can't help but be reminded of the lorax. 

The Gamer: Well, Mr. Kotick-ler?
     The Kotick-ler: Hmm. First poor Tony Hawk. Then the poor Guitar heros. Now the poor Call of Duties... oh, Mr. Gamer, Mr. Gamer... this cursed factory of mine! Now, at last, I understand.
    Mr. Wallstreet-ler: [over intercom] Mr. Kotick-ler! Mr. Kotick-ler!
    The Kotick-ler: Hmm? Oh, yes, Mr. Wallstreet-ler?
    Mr. Wallstreet-ler: Stock markets just closed, and Activision Inc. stock is up! Up 27 and 5/8 points!
    The Kotick-ler: Wow. Wow! Rowdy-dow!
    [to Gamer]
    The Kotick-ler: Now, you listen to me, Pop, while I blow my top! Games? Ha! You speak for the Games? Well I speak for Big Business, and Exploited Names! For your information, you gamer, I'm figgering on biggering and biggering, and biggering, and BIGGERING, Buying MORE Developers IP's! Which everyone, everyone, EVERYONE NEEDS! "
    ...Epic.
    BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles
    @MarkWahlberg said:
    " Ok, this is where things get normal and predictable. 'We didn't get no money' vs. 'they be greedy traitor bitches'. I just want to know what was up with the bouncers. "
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By animateria
    @MaddProdigy:@animateria said:

" @buckybit:@animateria said:

" The royalty speculation is already cleared Brad.

Via 1UP,

"Earlier today, Activision met with the studio leads and individual departments at Infinity Ward. Our sources within the studio tell us that Activision has confirmed they will still be receiving "compensation for royalties and such," referring to rumors that the studio hadn't yet been compensated for Modern Warfare 2."

"
    Why do I even bother post stuff. "
    I Would you believe I've read the 1UP news before Brad posted this?

Kinda slow here, probably busy doing other stuff I guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.