Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Injustice 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 16, 2017

When a new league of supervillains threatens alternate-universe Earth, it's up to Batman's crew of superheroes (and their shaky alliance with Superman's ruthless Regime) to stop them.

The Clash "feature" is horsepup

jagerxbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jagerxbomb

Anyone else hate this garbage" It feels like Mario Party or Mario Kart blue shell fuckery. I wish there was an option to play without it.

I'm fighting alright, and then my opponent pulls this bullshit, gains health back, and it's like, "what was the point of anything?"

I hate clash.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@jagerxbomb: Profanity isn't allowed in thread titles, you've been pupped

scrappypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It can be kind of a wind up, it feels a little like rubber banding

But to be honest it doesn't bother me enough, it's a little like a risk reward system.

Sure you can get up to 33% health regen but at the cost of burning your meter (and all the moves/escapes that come with it)

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it necessary for a fighting game like Injustice 2, where there aren't rounds but instead each fighter gets 2 health bars. The clash function allows you to try even the field a bit after losing your first health bar. It is very costly too, you only get one per match and to really regain much health with it you need to spend a good portion of your super meter. Even if you spend no super meter than at best you just break the opponent's combo, or you could take decent damage if the opponent spends their meter. Also like any "cheap" thing in a game, especially a fighting game, nothing is stopping you from using it yourself.

From less of a gameplay mechanic point of view clash also works to help bring the comic book style battles to life in the game. Banter between comic book characters is classic and clash allows for them to naturally integrate that into the battle, and make it a focus rather than just having the characters banter over the sound effects as they fight.

dasakamov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the clash system. It gives players a chance to defend themselves against long strings of death-combos, rather than saying "hey, that *one time* you tried to duck an overhead? Well you're dead now."

As the above post said, it is hugely thematic in a game deaturing comic book characters who have decades of history with each other. Aside from the excellent (and often humorous) banter, it does a good job of illustrating how a "second wind" might work in a game.

And, lastly, it adds a layer of strategic thought. If I know my opponent is on his second life bar and is building his meter, then I'm faced with a multitude of choices. Do I bank my meter also and combo them anyway, hoping to out-wager my opponent? Do I play cautious and try to finish them off with single attacks (possibly meter-burned for the killing blow)? Do I try to trick them into leaving themselves open for a super-finisher?

Likewise, if *I'm* the one on the second life, I have a number of choices to consider. Do I bank my meter and hope the opponent tries to hit me with a combo? If I do, am I positive I'm the one who'll win the wager? Do I spend my meter on MB attacks or a possible super to try to put the opponent at a life disadvantage?

Like I said, I love the clash system; it's perfect for a comic-book fighting game.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ivdamke

Without having played the Injustice games I'd assume the game will eventually break down into clash bait (can you bait clashes into whiffing?) or un-clashable/hard-to-clash combos being labbed up and becoming meta. I'm not a fan of combo breakers but this is probably the most egregious one, not because of the health return but because of how much it breaks the flow of game play.

It's flashy and has banter for comic book fans but it really slows the game down to a crawl.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Zirilius

@ivdamke said:

Without having played the Injustice games I'd assume the game will eventually break down into clash bait (can you bait clashes into whiffing?) or un-clashable combos being labbed up and becoming meta. I'm not a fan of combo breakers but this is probably the most egregious one, not because of the health return but because of how much it breaks the flow of game play.

It's flashy and has banter for comic book fans but it really slows the game down to a crawl.

You can't bait people into a Clash. It can only be used it once a combo of three or more hits is being string against you. You can use it to bait people to burn some of their meter but most people won't go for it. Also you get penalized for losing the clash (which is something Injustice 1 did not do). Clash is super important as like @dasakamov said there are some combo strings that can take 50% or greater health from your bar if you aren't careful. There are other combo escapes you can use but Clash can only be used in your second life bar and only once per match.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By hermes

Yeah, I did not liked it on the first one either. Sad to see it, not only, made a comeback, but now also punishes the one that loses.

Why didn't I liked it? Because in every occasion I saw it come out against the computer (and it comes out a lot), it felt like it was reading my inputs to win it. It never bet more than the absolutely necessary to win, and the only real way I could win was if I bet my entire bar (in which case, it only bet a single bar). It felt like a system only designed to make you loose your bar...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so far havent braved multi as im just trying to get moderately decent at fundamentals, but ive been using it to try to deny the cpu meter on occasion. but im probably going to get yelled at for how big of a mistake this is.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It really comes down to you playing intelligently on the opponent's second health bar. Clashes are a fundamental element of the game's balance, designed to help an overwhelmed player get back into the fray. Some of the combos in this game do enormous damage. Allowing players to get hit over and over with that kind of offense would be a far worse experience, in my opinion.

I don't see the problem and quite like the system, especially since a player can only utilize it once per match. I prefer it to the traditional combo breaker system of Mortal Kombat or even Killer Instinct, because it's a breath. It's a moment to recuperate and a moment to strategize. And because I like the banter, though I understand why that might get tedious for some. @dasakamov summarized it more succinctly already, so I'll just agree with that post.

In the original, some unbreakable combos became useful in Clash situations, but they often involved the big wind-up moves (B3, F3) which made them slightly impractical.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Zirilius
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

It's not "luck-based" in the least: you need to have meter and be on your second bar of health.

It's a comeback component and one of the most unique things Injustice has going for it.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

if it's not the long combo strings that people have a problem with in NRS games, its one of the things that allows you to escape them... one per match... at the cost of meter...

Also, the attacksr had opportunity to spend meter in the clash to deal damage, since they got taken out if their combo. Potentially, the defender may have made it easier for the attacker to deal damage if they're not careful with their use of theur clash.

If you don't see the value in the meter they're spending to escape, you must not value yours either, so why don't you use yours and deal damage or cancel their regen out?

stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing horsepup about it; there's no random element to it, both players have access to one, and it will be equally beneficial to both players each game on average.

Learn high-damage combos to devalue the life your opponent gains from a clash.

Learn to score unclashable damage such as short combos into projectiles, or throws.

Manage your meter so that you can either beat your opponent's clash or mitigate their health regen.

I know people hate the expression, but the honest and true solution to your problems with the clash system is: get good.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you may not get it. It's not random bullshit or anything. It's a strategic system in place to get out of combos and defend yourself.

If anything, it's an anti-bullshit system

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OurSin_360

I like it, it makes you think about your meter and your opponents. Adds a layer of depth imo and it only punishes the initiator if they lose which again forces you to think about your meter and health if you want to use it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's just another strategic tool. Occasionally handy and can make for some fun moments. I like it!

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it wasn't there, I don't think I would miss it, but I don't mind it really. I'm kind of used to it now. The only part of it that I think is a bit unfair is characters that are designed to get up close and maul are going to get clashed more often than zoners who often can't be clashed at all.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it wasn't there, I don't think I would miss it, but I don't mind it really. I'm kind of used to it now. The only part of it that I think is a bit unfair is characters that are designed to get up close and maul are going to get clashed more often than zoners who often can't be clashed at all.

I've had the AI clash against my projectile.

jagerxbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jagerxbomb

I haven't had anyone in multiplayer use it at all yet. I have less than 20 matches, though.
    The AI uses it ALL THE TIME. It's what Hermes said above, "...in every occasion I saw it come out against the computer (and it comes out a lot), it felt like it was reading my inputs to win it. It never bet more than the absolutely necessary to win, and the only real way I could win was if I bet my entire bar (in which case, it only bet a single bar). It felt like a system only designed to make you lose your bar..."

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide said:

I've had the AI clash against my projectile.

Was it part of a combo? I thought it had to be at least the second hit of a combo to clash. If it's just a single hit I think you can spam all day.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: not sure to be honest. My only memory of it was that it felt like it was from pretty far away. Sorry I can't clarify.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.