Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iPad

Platform »

The iPad is a series of touch-screen tablet devices developed by Apple. The iPad can browse the web, playback local and streamed content, and run a large variety of third party apps, including games.

Reports Suggest iPad 3 Announcement Next Month

• 170 results
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By DystopiaX

...completely unrelated to video games at all, and there's already an article on Tested? I mean I know Whiskey has a huge hardon for iOS but really? I could understand if there was talk about games or something (but would still be iffy) but this is just about the device and covers nothing that Tested didn't already cover.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By RE_Player1

Yo dawg get this iPad shit of my Giant Bomb. If I want iPad or any other tablet coverage I go to a little site called Tested. Btw I'm writing this comment on an iPad :P

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#53  Edited By megalowho

For everyone bitching about Tested.com, there's a Quick Look of Ghost Trick up there at this very moment that just doesn't belong and the thread needs you guys.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By web966
    @Sooty Because the ipad is a gaming platform. It is that simple. You may may not care about it but there are millions that do.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Sooty

@megalowho said:

For everyone bitching about Tested.com, there's a Quick Look of Ghost Trick up there at this very moment that just doesn't belong and the thread needs you guys.

It's App of the Day and Tested have been doing those for a long, long time, often featuring games, it's not like Giant Bomb cover iOS games now is it? Games count as apps so they hardly feel out of place on the site. Although I do think it's a boring segment because more often than not they just cover iOS games which are almost always rips of other games or ports with on screen controls.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By Sergio

@craigymail said:

No Caption Provided
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#57  Edited By sammo21

Games that use shitty touch controls! Awesome!

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dagas said:

@wewantsthering said:

This belongs here because the iPad is a pretty big gaming platform now. Whether or not you like it, or think it's worse than DS/PSP is a different discussion entirely.

So are PC's but you don't see GB announcing new laptops. Besides Tested has an article about this already.

My counter to that is that there isn't a major gaming desktop/laptop to cover like a stand-alone device like DS, PSP, etc. If I remember correctly GiantBomb has actually covered some gaming laptops that are interesting like that weird Razer laptop. It's fine to have crossover news occasionally when it has broad appeal. Do you complain every time Tested covers something gaming related?

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Vodun

@Enigmatical said:

iPad is a gaming system, no matter how badly you Apple haters want to deny that... and the announcement of a new iPad is the announcement of a new gaming system. I don't see why this doesn't belong here.

Thanks for the heads up, Patrick. This was the announcement I was waiting for... going to finally jump onto the iPad ship when the third one comes.

By that logic, should Giant Bomb follow the latest developments on Facebook as well? It's one of the premiere gaming platforms for millions.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Sooty

@web966 said:

@Sooty Because the ipad is a gaming platform. It is that simple. You may may not care about it but there are millions that do.

Nobody comes to this site for iOS news and I don't think they're about to start now.

and no it's not really a gaming platform, you can play games on iOS but that's not the reason people buy the devices. Facebook is a platform where you can play games. So is Windows Phone 7. The list goes on and on...the option is there, but they aren't designed for the purpose of gaming. It's the apps that allow that.

Edit: Anyway, the only real reason this article being here is somewhat silly is because it's not related to gaming at all aside from the iPad 3 being able to run said game apps. It's also just a rumour that Tested have already written up. You dig?

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Soulblitz

@mikey87144: Yeah, it kinda is. iOS games are getting bigger and bigger, and the iPad 3 will soon be the flagship platform for them. They wouldn't have done a Quick Look EX of Infinity Blade II if they didn't think it was worthy of putting on the site. Look at stuff like Real Racing 2 and you've basically got a scaled down Forza game on your iPhone. It's pretty nuts, and if you've got a recent model, it's a beautiful game.

There's no denying that iOS is significant in games now. It's certainly not as far as "mainstream" games go, but it has a massive casual audience, and it's only going to get bigger.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By doobie

@Vodun said:

@Enigmatical said:

iPad is a gaming system, no matter how badly you Apple haters want to deny that... and the announcement of a new iPad is the announcement of a new gaming system. I don't see why this doesn't belong here.

Thanks for the heads up, Patrick. This was the announcement I was waiting for... going to finally jump onto the iPad ship when the third one comes.

By that logic, should Giant Bomb follow the latest developments on Facebook as well? It's one of the premiere gaming platforms for millions.

if it has good games people are interested in and are playing. sure, why not ?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Milkman

To all those saying that this has nothing to do with video games: Yes, it does. Shut up.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Sergio

@Vodun said:

@Enigmatical said:

They completely dropped the ball on PopCap's announcement of Solitaire Blitz for Facebook. I'm expecting a quick look from Patrick.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#65  Edited By Dagbiker

@Sergio said:

@craigymail said:

No Caption Provided

exactly what i was thinking

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By RE_Player1
    @craigymail
    No Caption Provided
    artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@paulwade1984: Step 1: Have friends who run a website. Step 2: Get hired.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Sooty

@Milkman said:

To all those saying that this has nothing to do with video games: Yes, it does. Shut up.

Rumoured release dates and display specifications of the actual hardware certainly don't. The iPad 3 isn't going to change anything with regards to iOS gaming unless they include physical controls. iOS 5 only came out 5 (?) months ago so we can't expect anything meaningful to be happening software (gaming) wise just yet.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By chilibean_3

Serious games journalist Patrick is awesome. Troll Patrick is the worst.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By web966
    @Sooty

@web966 said:

Nobody comes to this site for iOS news and I don't think they're about to start now.

and no it's not really a gaming platform, you can play games on iOS but that's not the reason people buy the devices.

By that logic a PC is not a gaming platform because it is not the main reason most people buy one. What is the big problem with having iOS content on the site? If you are not interested just dont read it.
    JetForceGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By JetForceGemini

Maybe Whiskey could start a mobile site for this stuff?

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By hwy_61
    @Sergio If you don't think this will take the steam out of Vita's sales coming out in or around March; you sir, are a fool.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SSully

I must have missed the part where giantbomb covers this kind of stuff now.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Sooty

@web966 said:

@Sooty

@web966 said:

and no it's not really a gaming platform, you can play games on iOS but that's not the reason people buy the devices.

By that logic a PC is not a gaming platform because it is not the main reason most people buy one. What is the big problem with having iOS content on the site? If you are not interested just dont read it.

One of the main and often only reasons consumers or joe public buy good computers is for gaming because you certainly don't need a quad core or GTX 580 for web browsing.

and the problem with this article being here? It's just simple logic, it isn't even about the games and these iPad 3 rumours represents no real change to iOS gaming.

Rumoured release dates and display specifications of the actual hardware certainly don't. The iPad 3 isn't going to change anything with regards to iOS gaming unless they include physical controls. iOS 5 only came out 5 (?) months ago so we can't expect anything meaningful to be happening software (gaming) wise just yet.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By bearshamanbro

Wonder what the price will be. Don't know how they're going to drop a retina display in the iPad and keep the price the same. Just seems like that would be a pretty expensive screen and they also would have to upgrade the internals to power that screen and possibly the battery. Lots of part upgrades to account for.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By mikey87144

@Soulblitz: A scale downed version of Forza? Have you ever played Forza? You know a game with great physics and perfect controls. Anyway Infinity Blade was a really popular game because of how it looked and so is Infinity Blade 2. It plays like shit but it does look good.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By jelekeloy

The important thing here is that the iPad 3 may come out just after the Vita, and could very possibly destroy the Vita's sales.

RaidenMitsuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By RaidenMitsuru

Thank god, ready upgrade.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Sooty

@bearshamanbro said:

Wonder what the price will be. Don't know how they're going to drop a retina display in the iPad and keep the price the same. Just seems like that would be a pretty expensive screen and they also would have to upgrade the internals to power that screen and possibly the battery. Lots of part upgrades to account for.

Same price, iPad 2 down to $350/400.

CALLING IT! Maybe $300 if they really want to entice people badly.

@jelekeloy said:

The important thing here is that the iPad 3 may come out just after the Vita, and could very possibly destroy the Vita's sales.

The iPad 3 will have no impact on the Vita, but the iPad 2 price drop will.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Sergio

@hwy_61:

I have no doubt that the iPad 3 will sell well. However, people who would buy an iPad 3 aren't necessarily the same people who would've bought a Vita. Assuming that the pricing for iPad 3 stays the same, why would someone looking at buying something to only play games decide to shell out $150 more for a tablet that can also play games, but not as well as a dedicated handheld since it lacks proper controls. I don't expect people to buy a Vita over an iPad 3 when they're looking for a multipurpose device they can use on the couch either.

I have an iPad 2 and other Apple devices, I just haven't drank the Kool-Aid like many of you have.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By hermes

@craigymail said:

No Caption Provided

+1

I have no issues if GB decides to cover iOS GAMES now, but the iPad is not a gaming device more than the PC I am writing this now, and there is a Whiskey Media site dedicated to cover devices...

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Soulblitz

@mikey87144:

@Soulblitz: A scale downed version of Forza? Have you ever played Forza? You know a game with great physics and perfect controls. Anyway Infinity Blade was a really popular game because of how it looked and so is Infinity Blade 2. It plays like shit but it does look good.

Yes, I've played a ton of Forza. I never said it was a perfect port, but it's an incredibly well-produced racer on a platform with very few. It has a well structured career mode, plenty of control options (some of which set the bar for every other iOS game out there), very good multiplayer, and overall it just plays really well. If you want to pick apart what I said I simply meant it's more of a sim racer than an arcade race, and by that I mean it's more Forza than Burnout.

Either way, it's impressive. And as far as Infinity Blade's popularity goes; yeah, it's popular because it looks good, but also because the gameplay is quick and simple. It's designed perfectly for the platform it's on and it just works. As I said, Giant Bomb wouldn't have recorded the Quick Look if they didn't think it was a valid product.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Sergio

@bearshamanbro said:

The Tested.com article said it will have a bigger battery, as well as additional info. (Go figure.)

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#84  Edited By ProfessorEss

So as they start building apps for the iPad3 will they even work on the original iPad anymore?

They seemed to have already stretched that thing thin when they started making stuff for the iPad2.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#85  Edited By Brackynews

@Sooty said:

@bearshamanbro said:

Bingo, as it were. It's Apple's m.o. to keep their price points the same. They have immense profit margins built in already, so even if a new screen makes a dent, you have to realise that the same price people are paying for an iPad 2 today is now giving Apple more profit from when the iPad 2 was first released. They won't lose a dime if the price stays the same. Used to be true for Nintendo as well, until the 3DS.

Also Amazon just had their 3-kindles for 1-pad commercial, so there is actually some pricing competition pressure, which really hasn't been the case.

Clearly you are not a parent. Plenty of people on Giant Bomb are. LOTS of people working in the industry who also read Giant Bomb are. My friends just had her third kid, and for Christmas I sent them my old iPod Touch G2 to go alongside their G4. It now belongs to their oldest daughter and there isn't a day she's not playing games on it. While daddy plays Skyrim, the kids are on the iPods. They often ask me what games I'm playing, and what I might recommend for the kids. Inevitable that they will get an iPad eventually.

Try thinking outside your own demographic.

Also, if you don't care to have these articles here, stop driving up the post count in them. ;)

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#86  Edited By kmg90

@DystopiaX said:

...completely unrelated to video games at all, and there's already an article on Tested? I mean I know Whiskey has a huge hardon for Apple iOS but really? I could understand if there was talk about games or something (but would still be iffy) but this is just about the device and covers nothing that Tested didn't already cover.

FTFY

Seriously 95% of the tested gadget reviews/quick looks are, "Is this laptop, phone, tablet better than Apple xxxxx"

PLUS I saw no coverage for the ASUS Transformer Prime the first quad-core tablet that is faster, thinner, lighter and has a bigger resolution than the iPad 2 in which has PS3 controller support for the jaw-dropping Tegra3 games on the market.

If its one thing I get disgusted about WM is there obvious favoritism towards Apple and (at some points Microsoft)

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MrKlorox

Yeah, thanks. I'll just go watch the Tested podcast livestream instead.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Sooty

@Brackynews said:

Try thinking outside your own demographic.

I just find it difficult to believe that people are buying iOS devices just for gaming, aside from hand me downs of course. I know quite a lot of youngsters in and outside of my family and none of them have such devices, it's usually a DS or Wii.

andriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By andriv

This really doesn't fit here

a rumor of a device that is used for gaming that is not at all covered outside of a few mentions on podcasts here.

freecajunlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By freecajunlove

Is it six times more powerful than an XBOX 360?

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By cyraxible

It's not a dedicated handheld game device but guess what guys... more people are playing games on these than they are on the DS, 3DS, or PSP/PSV.

I for one welcome our new handheld overlords.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By RE_Player1
    @freecajunlove

Is it six times more powerful than an XBOX 360?

Don't be silly, commenting on next gen console rumors is ridiculous. Commenting on iPad and iOS rumors, totally different.
    killer_catt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By killer_catt

Why is this article on Giantbomb.com??

Sent this over to Tested.com, Patrick..

This is not IGN... Please... Do not ruin Giantbomb...

Giant Bomb is about gaming! Not gadgets.....

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#94  Edited By Brackynews

@Sooty: That's fine. We both have access to very small and specific datasets. Safe to say that Shelby Bonnie and Mike Tatum there in the WM business office have access to a hell of a lot more data about this industry, sales, who reads their sites, and what devices they own. (Enhanced mobile site is for subscribers, don't forget!) And they hired Patrick to understand and target who reads the news, not just who posts comments.

You're quickly making this one of the most active articles on the front page. And posting insightful and discussion-worthy comments while doing it. (I mean that!) Keep it up. ;)

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#95  Edited By twillfast

@killer_cat said:

Why is this article on Giantbomb.com??

Sent this over to Tested.com, Patrick..

This is not IGN... Please... Do not ruin Giantbomb...

Giant Bomb is about gaming! Not gadgets.....

I agree this might not be an article for GB. That said, I'm all for handheld gaming @ 2048×1536.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By mordukai

@Grimluck343 said:

Great Tested article. My first gen iPad still works so I'll stick to that.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#97  Edited By lord_canti

"rumours about future consoles are dumb" will smith 2012

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#98  Edited By Enigmatical

Just because the Bombcast doesn't talk about iOS releases, doesn't mean Giantbomb doesn't have pages dedicated to the iOS releases and upcoming games (Infinity Blade 2 Quick Look comes to mind).

Continue to deny it, but iOS (and yes, I'm talking about the App Store, not mobile game stores in general) is a gaming marketplace and the iPhone and iPad are gaming platforms as much as they are phones and web browsers and e-books, etc.

It is in direct competition with the 3DS and Vita.

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#99  Edited By Enigmatical

@Sooty said:

@bearshamanbro said:

@jelekeloy said:

The iPad 3 will have no impact on the Vita, but the iPad 2 price drop will.

Without a doubt, it will cost what the iPad 2 costs now.

If they dare to launch it at the $300 price point, you better believe they are targeting 3DS and Vita markets hard.

I would love to see that though.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By uniform

Apple news fits everywhere. They're so hot right now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.