Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iPhone

Platform »

The iPhone is a multimedia multi-touch smartphone created by Apple Inc.

Should Giantbomb increase its coverage/attention to IOS games?

• 88 results
    Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

Recent Bombcasts and discussion for GOTY has had several IOS games in the heat of the discussion. Games like Super Bros, Draw Something, and Infinity Blade 2 have been talked about for some amount of time in recent memory. Should Giantbomb cover IOS games more often and add it into more discussions or should it stay the same? Please don't make this discussion into another war against IOS games and whether or not their real games. They have their place in modern gaming and are successful enough to not be ignored.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jozzy

Why didn't you turn it into a poll?

My answer would be: No

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

I don't think so. Like you said above with the game you listed, those games were worth mentioning or covering, where most iOS games are not. It seems like if a game is good enough it will get some sort of mention, whether it be the Bombcast or in Patrick's 'Worth Reading' posts.

duggshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By duggshammer

Mobile games are tame-waster/throw-away games, just like they always have been. Yes, there are some more robust ones, but, imo, none have shown they can actually be 'great' games.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail

No.

I'd rather have them give their full attention to real games. You can go to Tested for great coverage on iOS apps.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

That would probably fuck up the wiki pretty good...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ProfessorEss

No. Their coverage of the standard console/pc market is thin enough as it is.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mosespippy

If people were paying $60 for them and they were worth $60 then yes. Most IOS games are throw away games at throw away prices. People don't look for information about them beyond looking at app store reviews.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

No, they barely do any coverage already, let's not spread it any thinner. Plus iOS sucks.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By louiedog

I think it's fine when they discuss it at the beginning of the podcast when they talk about what they're playing. A few Quick Looks of some of the more expensive and higher profile games is fine. I don't expect reviews, video reviews, or much coverage beyond that though. These games are mostly $1-$3 and people need less guidance in trying to decide if they're worth the time/money.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Skytylz

Nope, I'd rather they expand their coverage of real games.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#12  Edited By Kidavenger

@TooWalrus said:

That would probably fuck up the wiki pretty good...

They are already in the wiki...

Now that Tested is gone, it would make sense, but I hope they don't.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MideonNViscera

Only if it's to point out that GTA3 is on iPhone or whatever. I don't need a review of Angry Birds in Dimension X.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Skald

They should cover good games. What platform they appear on is inconsequential.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

Hell no.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By EuanDewar

@Skald said:

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BrockNRolla

I like my iOS games on occasion, but real gems are still rare.

Sword & Sworcery would have been a good example of something that deserved coverage, but I can't think of much else. So while I appreciate iOS games, I'm going to say "No."

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Actually Giant Bomb did cover Infinity Blade II. I don't see a need for any great increase in the number of iOS games they cover, but I guess it'd be cool to see them spend at least a little time with games like Draw Something, or anything that's particular original and popular on the marketplace. I'm not hugely bothered. Really the whole iOS thing used to be covered by Will and Norm but I don't even know what's going on there any more.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jozzy

@EuanDewar said:

@Skald said:

Don't agree with that at all, some of the best content on this site is them covering extremely bad games. I rather have them cover a bad console or pc game than a good iOS or Android game. They have a limited amount of time and I would like them to keep their current focus. Or get an extra staff member for this stuff of course.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vexxan

Maybe the "major" ones but in general I'd say no: there are too many mobile games coming out each week.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By leftie68

I have no bias against iOS gaming (really it should be mobile gaming as to not ignore Android devices which now outnumber iOS devices), so I say WHEN there is a legitimate mobile game that has the story,presentation, gameplay, and longevity worth covering, then it should be covered. Sorry to say there aren't many mobile games that fall in this category. Really, do we really want Jeff writing a review/preview of Angry Birds in Space? or doing a quicklook of Temple Run? The gameplay/mechanics for most mobile games can be learned and previewed in 2 minutes. I really doubt it is worth their time.

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hennet_sim

They should not do Reviews of of IOS games there to small of a game to put time into when there are big AAA titles that need reviews of.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FreakAche

I think I read on one of their Twitters or Formsprings or something, that the reason they don't do more iOS coverage is that the users seem to throw hissy fits whenever they do.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By superfriend

No! Do you see what they do this week? Next to nothing because of PAX and Jeff being in Rome. They would need 2 more people on staff to even cover all the interesting games that come out on the regular platforms.

IOS would be fucking suicide with the staff they have now. For the record, I think they should hire one or two more guys or get Kevin van Ord or Justin Calvert from Gamespot :D

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By efman

No that market is way too oversaturated for them to be glancing towards. The way they've handled it so far, by touching on games that bear mentioning in passing in such a manner as to just giving a game certain exposure, has worked out well for me in finding games in the sea of titles on the App Store. If I'm unsure about the quality of an iOS game, more often than not, Youtube has been a great avenue in getting a glimpse into what I'd possibly be buying as these experiences are very well documented in brief snippets of video, and not to mention the App of the Day features the Tested guys used to put out.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By clstirens

Remember: Giant Bomb is a site with a smaller team of dudes who tend to review a much smaller pool of games. While it is certainly in their realm to review an iOS title, it is not their focus, so chances are they'll only review something that is huge.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By CheapPoison

No, stay away from the great evil!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#28  Edited By Kidavenger

There really is no point in reviewing $0.99 games, nobody is reading a review to make such a frivolous decision.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Julmust

Oh no I spent a DOLLAR on one shitty iOS game!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Sooty

There's no point in offering in-depth coverage of games that cost a dollar.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Kidavenger said:

There really is no point in reviewing $0.99 games, nobody is reading a review to make such a frivolous decision.

Isn't there a worth to presenting a critical opinion regardless of the cost? One might say that Steel Battalion was so ridiculously expensive that no one was going make such a frivolous expenditure, but sites still reviewed it. Regardless of the cost, whether cheap or expensive, we can still make critical judgements that aren't just about cost vs. quality.

I'd be interested to see what reviewers think of specific games. The final score might simply be less determinative of whether or not I make that final purchase.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Sooty said:

So a free-to-play game should never be reviewed?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sooty

@BrockNRolla said:

@Sooty said:

It's pretty obvious those games are not only cheap but also lack any real depth to get into, didn't think that needed stating. The combination just makes them not worth covering. I'd argue that reviewing free to play games is also a strange idea because many of them are MMOs or constantly evolving games like League of Legends.

Who is going to read a page long review of Angry Birds, I mean, really? The simple reviews on the app stores is a good fit for the platform.

Floope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Floope

The majority of notable releases on the mobile platforms can usually be summed up like this: YEP this is a game and it's pretty fun for a dollar. 5 STARS.

Leave it to IGN.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BlatantNinja23

If there are people playing iOS games (probably mostly patrick) and they feel like one should be talked about then it will. Otherwise there no reason to force converge on it if no one wants to cover it.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Sooty said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@Sooty said:

It's pretty obvious those games are not only cheap but also lack any real depth to get into, didn't think that needed stating. The combination just makes them not worth covering. I'd argue that reviewing free to play games is also a strange idea because many of them are MMOs or constantly evolving games like League of Legends.

Who is going to read a page long review of Angry Birds, I mean, really? The simple reviews on the app stores is a good fit for the platform.

That seems like a rather unfair assumption to make and an arbitrary piece of evidence to make the assumption upon. Sword and Sworcery is several hours long and includes an incredible original soundtrack along with its other game elements. A lot of more expensive games don't even have those things. A $0.99 price point could as easily be a business model as is could be a judgement of value.

I'm not claiming Angry Birds should be reviewed either. There isn't enough depth there worth a full review. But, that isn't true of every game on the App Store. My response to the overall question was that GB shouldn't increase their coverage of iOS games because there aren't a lot of games worth reviewing on the App Store, but there are some games that do deserve coverage. Making a blanket statement that a game for a dollar isn't worth covering puts an arbitrary limit on what should or should not be reviewed for a reason that isn't conclusive of anything but the amount of money you'll spend for the experience.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#37  Edited By DjCmeP

NO!

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#38  Edited By Mnemoidian

Depends on the game.

The next Angry Birds is probably not interesting (but theoretically could be?) But if something good comes along that they want to quick look? Sure.

As long as the focus of the site remains as is and it doesn't suddenly become exclusively reviewing facebook games, I'd be fine with it.

I think the lead word, as always, is "would it be interesting to cover this?"

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Nentisys

Fuck no.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sooty

@BrockNRolla said:

@Sooty said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@Sooty said:

That seems like a rather unfair assumption to make and an arbitrary piece of evidence to make the assumption upon. Sword and Sworcery is several hours long and includes an incredible original soundtrack along with its other game elements. A lot of more expensive games don't even have those things. A $0.99 price point could as easily be a business model as is could be a judgement of value.

I'm not claiming Angry Birds should be reviewed either. There isn't enough depth there worth a full review. But, that isn't true of every game on the App Store. My response to the overall question was that GB shouldn't increase their coverage of iOS games because there aren't a lot of games worth reviewing on the App Store, but there are some games that do deserve coverage. Making a blanket statement that a game for a dollar isn't worth covering puts an arbitrary limit on what should or should not be reviewed for a reason that isn't conclusive of anything but the amount of money you'll spend for the experience.

Well that's just a 99% vs 1% thing, I don't think all the games on iOS are short/depthless/throwaway, just a lot of them are, especially the cheap ones. Of course there's nothing wrong with a game being throwaway for that price point, I just don't think the platform sees many games worthy of 'real game like' coverage.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cloudenvy

No.

qawsed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By qawsed

I'd love to hear about good iOS games. It's not about deciding whether to spend $0.99 or not, it's about finding out that game exists in the first place. I'd love to see the guys cover more free indie PC games as well. They're worth the money, but are they worth my time?

Games are games, people. Hating on iOS is just as cringeworthy as when PC gamers hate on consoles.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Snail said:

No.

I'd rather have them give their full attention to real games. You can go to Tested for great coverage on iOS apps.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By WightnNerdy

Absolutely not, no.

TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheKing

Yes, absolutely. I wouldn't mind some iOS game coverage here and there seeing how they cover 3DS and Vita.

Besides, I would rather see iOS coverage over Kinect or Move.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By DeF

No, it's fine if they talk about the truly outstanding titles that don't exist anywhere else but I don't need any more coverage of "random puzzle game that I had fun with for 10 minutes while waiting for Pizza".

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Slaker117

They should cover the games they are interested in, regardless of platform.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By Sergio

No.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Nah.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.