Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iRacing

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Aug 26, 2008

iRacing.com is an online simulation racing game for the PC featuring numerous licensed cars and tracks.

The Giant Bomb Racing League

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

oh god that would have been so much longer if the iRacing message thing didn't have a character limit I had to take out my dumb Simpsons joke and also some of the sentences would have been more fancy

hawk767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3202  Edited By hawk767

@slowbird: So is the VW event something that we register for before hand or is it something you just show up for, I don't specifically see this as an event on the league calender. First league though so I might just be completely missing where it is. I haven't driven the VW yet either but I'll definitely grab it and give it a go! Also, is there any way to just spectate events like the Charlotte race coming up?

Looking forward to some racing this weekend =)

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk767: It will show up on the "League Sessions" tab, but it looks like it hasn't actually been scheduled yet. I assumed @khann was gonna do it :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yep, it'll show up there. Just join when the session starts. I'll be setting up all the races this afternoon.

You should be able to spectate any of the races.

DavyC412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sorry i havent been around for the past few weeks. life has been treating me terrible the past while. ive been at work every weekend for the past month trying to get shit done because thats the only time i could book the scope in our imaging facility :x

hopeful about this weekend. i hear theres gonna be some jetta action. it was the first car i bought in the sim so many ages ago, and gave me my first win (in the VW jetta TDI cup championship), so i have a big affection for the large fwd diesel shoebox. i remember it being a massive handful (this was on the OLD tire model, not the old new tire model, the OLD old tire model) and did a few laps and its a totally different animal now. you can go into corners so much faster than you think you should be able to and it just tracks right through completely neutral till you get on the throttle at which point you are handed bucket loads of understeer, so it handles really nice now. should be good fun

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davyc412: no need to apologize :) seems like real life gets in the way for most of us at some point or another.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk767: Just to note: you can spectate any session as long as you own the track. No need to join our races as a spectator though, just jump in. That way you can practice with us on track, and if you feel hesitant about racing, you can simply watch.

All the sessions are now up on the league page, too. Can't wait to run them! :D

hawk767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouse: Ya sounds like a good time. I'll definitely hop into the Jetta cup, plan on grabbing the car and tracks here today and getting some practice in.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Welcome @hawk767! You should definitely join us Friday if you're into oval racing. We're at the tail end of our Nascar season, but feel free to join all the same. We can always use more cars on the track. Prior to most races, we have a two hour practice session that's open to anyone. That won't show up on the league page though, you'll have to just check the Hosted Sessions tab for it.

hawk767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxx77: I'll consider giving it a go. I've not done at oval racing yet besides the road course at Charlotte.

Avatar image for thesupernatural
    TheSupernatural

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh there's a race tonight and it's at Charlotte? I can do this! Yeah!

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Setups for tonight shared here!

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last year when I was brand new to iRacing, I liked to spectate races a lot. I just so happened to spectate a rookie Street Stock event at Charlotte one night. The entire race was practically incident free. Nearly every car was racing in a tight pack from start to finish. Pretty impressive considering all the red and orange bumper stickers.

And then this happened on the final lap...

Loading Video...

You can see how the leader tried to avoid him, and how he in turn tried to avoid everyone about to run him over, which only made things worse. I've never heard a more livid group of people before. So many voices, so much cussing! They were all so incredibly pissed. The #18 car didn't really say much in defense.

I swore to myself, never be that guy.

And then in tonight's race I exited the pits exactly like he did, nearly wrecking Slowbird who'd pitted a lap earlier. Luckily there was no contact, but what an incredibly ignorant thing to do. And at Charlotte of all places! I became the thing I despised! So stupid.

Anyway, sorry Slowbird. I'm glad you at least got around me. I actually didn't cause anyone to have an incident all race, which is kinda rare (I'm improving!). But that pit exit might as well have been an incident, there's no reason for that kind of driving.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@slowbird: Well, at least we now have the confirmation that we went full NASCAR. Out of the running in the regular season, Chase will probably get the championship.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget: the Jetta Cup starts in an hour! We're at the short Okayama layout, so no track purchase necessary.

DavyC412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whew, that was some proper FWD racing! :D

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3219  Edited By Mouse

Hopefully we get a good turnout for next week too, because it's the Daytona short layout! With only 5 turns and 2 braking points, and it being only a mile long (compared to Okayama's 1.3 miles), it's going to be a really close race!

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short PSA: No two hour open practice for the DW12 oval races as well. They're fixed setup so there's not much to practice for more than the 30-40min of league practice we get. HOWEVER, we will have the regular two hour open practice for the road races, since the setups are open and it's generally a bit more difficult to get around the track (okay, maybe a lot). Hope to see at least as many people as in the Jetta race today! The DW12 is fun and you get an oval and road car for the price of one! Also Charlotte is free, so come and race with us!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had a lot of fun in the Jetta today. That thing is so easy to race door-to-door.

Looking forward to the DW12 race tomorrow :D

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c said:

The DW12 is fun and you get an oval and road car for the price of one! Also Charlotte is free, so come and race with us!

Also, the DW12 is easily the most drivable car in iRacing, on ovals at least. On a track like Charlotte it's just pedal to the floor, don't ever touch the brakes or slow down. It's like driving on rails. Great handling, and it's one of the fastest cars you'll ever drive. Being able to drive it in traffic definitely takes skill though, especially since one mistake will send the car on a journey to the stars. But that's what makes racing it exciting. Definitely worth buying.

TheSupernatural

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxx77 said:
    @iron1c said:

The DW12 is fun and you get an oval and road car for the price of one! Also Charlotte is free, so come and race with us!

Also, the DW12 is easily the most drivable car in iRacing, on ovals at least. On a track like Charlotte it's just pedal to the floor, don't ever touch the brakes or slow down. It's like driving on rails. Great handling, and it's one of the fastest cars you'll ever drive. Being able to drive it in traffic definitely takes skill though, especially since one mistake will send the car on a journey to the stars. But that's what makes racing it exciting. Definitely worth buying.

And as soon as you take it to a road course like Sonoma or Spa, it becomes one of the hardest cars to drive (at least in my amateur opinion)

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesupernatural: I've avoided driving it on any road courses for that very reason. It's fantastic on ovals though. Just don't attempt any bump drafting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Join us in around 50 minutes for some flat-out oval racing in the DW12!

DavyC412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3227  Edited By DavyC412

according to the main page, it looks like iracing has just announced that, continuing with its partnership with the nurburgring, they will be adding both the nurburgring GP circuit as well as the nordschleife to iRacing. even though, im no big fan of the circuit with respect to sim racing due to small grids + large track = lame, but nevertheless, i find myself stoked as well as mind = blown.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davyc412: GOOD! People are scared of the 'Ring being in iRacing though. I'm not one of those people, because I'm a real man who enjoys a challenge. :D

Seriously though, the Nordschleife is going to be really fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And now BOMBCAR is finished for the season.

Congratulations to @slowbird who just manages to defend his title by a single point!

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3230  Edited By slowbird

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't deserve it ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

but it feels so good to win :D

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations @slowbird!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first successful title defense?

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c: probably. It's a far cry from season 1 though! I feel like everyone has stepped up their oval game this season, and next season the title will be up for grabs!

Also it's not an actual racing game but it has a car and it's fun and has a lot of Giant Bomb in-jokes and you guys should play Dave Lang's Turnover Roundabout!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't forget: we're racing Jettas at Daytona in just under an hour!

DavyC412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

was a good race. I had a little bit of a jorg bergmeister vs. jan magnussen alms 2009 @laguna seca moment at the end there, which i may have been a bit too agressive on defense, but was a good, super intense race. i dont think i was every more than 1 second either infront or behind someone the whole time.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After yesterday's attendance was a bit of a bummer, I hope y'all show up for today's IndyCar race! The Watkins layout we're using is really easy to drive and WE WILL HAVE THE 2 HOUR PRACTICE SESSION TODAY, so you can work on your setups and learn the track. As always, look for it under the hosted tab. See you there!

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 hours of open practice for the DW12 race at Watkins Glen is now live! Come join us right here!

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3237  Edited By slowbird
    TheSupernatural

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't done much racing lately, although I wish I hadn't been busy Sunday so I could have joined you guys at the Glen.

Did one GT3 race last week though, 75 minutes at Donnington. Had a spin early on but worked back to a 4th place finish out of 17 drivers overall. Definitely a lower split but still a lot of fun. The 30 minute races are a lot easier to get through but 75 minutes was a lot of fun. Can't wait for 75 minutes of Bathurst later this season

ConnorPOZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3239  Edited By ConnorPOZ

Any idea when next seasons schedule will be announced?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3241  Edited By slowbird

oops i guess i should figure out the bombcar schedule lol

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slowbird: Daytona. Talladega. Daytona. Talladega. Daytona. Talladega. Daytona. Talladega. Done.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c: If it's gonna be like that, then I'll just put Sonoma on the schedule 9 times.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3244  Edited By Mouse

I'm just curious, if Slowbird were to be convinced into switching cars, who would be down for racing the Silverado (truck)? Do most people here own it already? I think it'd be pretty excellent.

Oh, and if there's to be a new track on the BOMBCAR schedule, give Lucas Oil Raceway a thought again this time around. I still think we'd have a great race there. :)

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Nationwide car is good for another season, especially since that truck isn't a Camaro (at least it's a Chevy!) but whatever, I own the truck and wouldn't skip on it.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, the Nationwide is fine, but it's nice to change things up. I have a few reasons why I think it'd make for better racing [for this league] but I don't want to start a debate or anything. Just raising an idea to see if people have the same feelings as me (same car again is boring). :)

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouse said:

I have a few reasons why I think it'd make for better racing [for this league] but I don't want to start a debate or anything.

I'm always interested in reasons and debates! They're two of my favorite things! If you don't wanna do it here, hit me with a Tweetstorm, if you like. I'm always interested in what other people are thinking about the races and maybe you got some points/reasons I haven't even considered yet.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is it just me or is everything an hour earlier now? some sort of daylight savings time thing maybe?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still the same times for me. Do I need to change something?

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think we've hit DST yet.

Mouse, I'd definitely be interested in hearing your opinions on the truck. I own it, I like it, I've done surprisingly little driving in it though. I can only focus on so many different cars at once, and so far that one's been excluded from my time spent in iRacing lately. Nothing against it, just don't have time for them all. If there are reasons why we should switch to it for Bombcar, I'm all ears. I wouldn't mind having a reason to get more seat time with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.