Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Journey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 13, 2012

Journey is thatgamecompany's third release for Sony. Roam the lands discovering the history of an ancient civilization on a trek toward a distant mountain. Go at it alone or explore with strangers online.

Am I the only one who didn't have an emotional experience?

• 61 results
    cexantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By cexantus

@buzz_killington said:

So, umm, there's this thing called "hyperbole", which video game folks like to use kind of A LOT... so whenever they say things like "Journey was the first time I felt emotions in a game"

Well, of course that's a silly statement to make; you're always feeling some kind of emotion when you play a game.

@buzz_killington said:

but I know for a fact that it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Can't be a fact if it isn't supported by any, chief. Instead of doing the whole "hating things because they're 'overrated,' man" thing the kids do, why don't actually play it?

Though strangely, I just realized your name is surprisingly apt.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By McShank

@DefaultGen said:

I played it online in one sitting, but didn't realize the people I met in the game were humans until looking the game up online afterwards and being bombarbed by overwhelming positive reviews, especially regarding that aspect. I mostly stuck by my partner in the game for the jump juice. I thought it was a CPU showing me the critical path through the game, since I had to break away from it to grab the the collectible relics.

try playing it again and not worrying about ur partner. Enjoy it yourself, and explore. Take your time. They can go on as they will leave your game after a certain time / distance and you wont know the wiser. Enjoy it, dont think to much about it and just enjoy the visuals and music. Its not supposed to be a IN YOUR FACE AWESOMENESS! its a relaxing game and it has something that not all other games have and that is creativity and depth.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By buzz_killington

@cexantus said:

@buzz_killington said:

So, umm, there's this thing called "hyperbole", which video game folks like to use kind of A LOT... so whenever they say things like "Journey was the first time I felt emotions in a game"

Well, of course that's a silly statement to make; you're always feeling some kind of emotion when you play a game.

@buzz_killington said:

but I know for a fact that it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Can't be a fact if it isn't supported by any, chief. Instead of doing the whole "hating things because they're 'overrated,' man" thing the kids do, why don't actually play it?

Though strangely, I just realized your name is surprisingly apt.

I don't hate the game because it's 'overrated'. I just know for a FACT that these indie art games are always ball-washed with truckloads of exaggerated praise just to draw attention to them. Braid, Flower, Limbo? Decent games. Decent games. Not the second coming of Christ. Their pretentious wrappings? Entirely incidental, or even detrimental, to the games' quality. Testimonials such as "It's unlike anything ever in the history of humans...", and the fan favorite "I became best friends with the guy I met playing Journey and now he is giving a toast at my wedding" sound insincere to me.

And thanks for the name comment, I kind of dug deep to find that one.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Bribo

@Polydeukes said:

@Bribo said:

Is whining an emotion? No, relax - I'm joking.

I've been discouraged from buying this from day one. The notion of hooking up with some other guy who got in a week early with his PSN+ account, his long scarf, his embroidered robe and his constant chirping while he stands beside stuff you may or may not discovered for yourself - that puts me off.

Is 'fuck that guy' an emotion?

The solution to that problem is to just run away from the tall poppy. Just like in life, if you think people flashing their bling are pretentious, you can just walk away from them.

I'll probably just give it another week, till the "I must play this immediately and post my opinion of it online in a timely fashion" brigade have moved on.

polydeukes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By polydeukes

@Bribo: Just to be clear, I was talking about walking away from players in the game. Journey will just keep matching you with different players unless you hang around someone.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Bribo

@Polydeukes: Got it. Good advice.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Slay3r1583

I'm glad to finally read some negative opinions about this game. I haven't spent much time looking up reactions but what I have seen and heard has all been positive so I was feeling a little alone on my opinion too. I didn't care for Journey either. It was a beautiful looking and sounding game but for me that is all it has going for it. I found the gameplay was really simple and didn't do anything to hook me on the game. There was no story to keep my attention. Also I had nothing but shitty partners so that hurt my experience with the game even more. They all just seemed to want to get the levels done as quickly as possible. I'm thinking about giving the game another go but if I do I'm going to make sure to play offline so I can play the game how I want to and at my own pace.

cexantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By cexantus

@buzz_killington:

1. Or maybe it's because--wait, for it--people genuinely found it to be a pretty engaging experience (I know I did. But I guess that would make me a liar). And considering that I actually took the time to put down my money and play the damn game, I think that makes me a bit more of an expert in the legitimacy of Journey.

2. What exactly is pretentious about any of the games you've listed? Is it because they're unconventional? Indie? I look at Limbo, and I don't see anything "pretentious" about it.

3. I'm sorry, but that's such a shitty reason to not play the game. Because other people might be a bit hyperbolic in their praises, that makes for a justified reason to condemn "Journey?" That's silly internet logic that I've never understood, and it's a shame that it's one that will keep potential players from enjoying the game.

Of course, if you were to actually make the effort to play the game, it'd be a self-fulfilling prophecy since you're so convinced of this game's failings.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#59  Edited By buzz_killington

@cexantus: I am actually going to play the game, I'm just not going to be disappointed.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*reads thread title* Am... I... The... Only... One... Who....RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE! *gurgle*

No. No you're not... There certainly are other people like you, and there certainly are people who are praising this game more than it deserves...

*runs to image folder*

Here ya' go.

Remember. Always remember.
    Remember. Always remember.
    mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By mrcraggle

I just bought Journey today and completed it in one sitting and I'd say it's one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had or at least multiplayer. It was nice to not really have to worry and just relax and play, it also helped that I had a very nice and helpful partner. I met up with them soon after the first bridge and they stayed with me until the end. Someone came to my house so I paused the game and my character sat down and my companion stayed right by my side and waited for me and barely left my side and showed me hidden secrets that I may have otherwise missed. Even at the end of the gamewhen you're climbing up the mountain, my companion and I huddled together for the slightest bit of warmth, barely even able to chirp.

I do want to play it again soon though and see how different people can change the experience or even just going lone wolf and see how that feels. The final section I did feel emotionally invested as I had travel so far and did all these things with one person.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Yeah probably. I'm sure the people who didn't have videogame epiphanies were at the least angry Journey was $15.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Lysergica33

I'm quite convinced that anyone who didn't enjoy this or didn't feel like they got anything from it simply had the wrong vibe going on for their playthrough or something.

Every time I've played it, I have turned the lights off, lit candles and incense, prepared a glass of absinthe (optional, of course..) pre-imbibed some choice 'erbs (also optional,) and spent a good 15 minutes letting myself sink into a relaxed, meditative state prior to beginning the playthrough.

A big TV and a really nice set of speakers also helps. Each time I've played, my speakers have been so loud that I'd have had to shout to be heard over them, so that lovely drone that accompanies the beginning of your Journey is massaging your entire body with its rumbly bass frequencies.. Mm..

If you were to play it with the lights on and not spend the time setting a tone prior to beginning, I could see why the experience would not be anywhere near as palpable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.