Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Jurassic Park

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

Telltale Games continue on from the events of the first Jurassic Park film with this cinematic adventure game.

If scientist could clone Dinosaurs today, should they?

• 129 results
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By valrog

No.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#102  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I support this notion. The human race could do with a good pruning.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By Matfei90

Yes. Jurassic Park is one of my favourite movies. I want real dinosaurs.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By korolev

They should - but it's so far away that we can't even begin to answer this question. The ability to actually  bring an extinct animal back through preserved DNA is extremely unlikely. They're trying to do it with Tasmanian Tigers, but even that's looking hopeless - there's just too little intact DNA. With dinosaurs, it would be even worse. Don't get me wrong, DNA's a tough molecule (as molecules go), but I'd wager it's impossible to actually get any useful Dinosaur DNA without some kind of time-travel (which I believe is impossible). Raw DNA starts to degrade if it's not chilled constantly, and if it's just left in the environment, it would very quickly break down. Plus, there was an ice age between the Dinosaur Era and the Current Era, and if DNA, in a solution, gets frozen, ice crystals shatter the structure to all hell. 

If we somehow had the technology, and we miraculously found a complete sequence of a Dinosaur, then yes we should - because by then, we'd have such advanced technology that nothing could go wrong.  

Jurassic Park's just a movie, guys. Biotechs and geneticists aren't stupid - they wouldn't clone more than one or two at a time. Plus, we have big guns. As scary as a T-Rex is, a hellfire missile into its head is gonna kill it dead. Dinosaurs would be pretty easy to control - just add kill-collars to them - if they move out of range, if they get loose, trigger the collar/tag to blow them up. Or poison them. If they ever really got out of hand, we've got chemical and biological weapons which would make short work of them. In reality, if the military really wanted to, it could have cleaned up Jurassic Park in no-time. Just carpet bomb + Mustard Gas + Helicopter Gunships + Naval Bombardment = Toasted Dinosaurs.  

EDIT: Or what about an A-10 plane you Americans have? Has a Gatling gun on it that fires Depleted Uranium rounds the size of milk-cartons at 2,100 to 4,200 rounds a minute pretty accurately. Such a gun can rip a modern tank apart - a T-Rex would stand no chance in hell. Raptors? Use landmines and clear the area around your base. Raptors can't fly now can they? Is it at night? Use IR or Night-vision to see them. No matter how fast a Raptor is, it's not faster than a bullet fired out of a rifle.  

Humanity has the dubious distinction of being the species most able to wipe out other species with ease. Hell, we destroyed the Woolly Mammoth with nothing but a bunch of pointy sticks, co-operation and rocks.  

The reason the Jurassic Park guys lost to the dinosaurs is because: 1) the Film would have been boring if the humans won and 2) There was very few of them and they acted like idiots. They had like, what, one security guard? For the entire complex? That's just silly.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#105  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Sweep: Wouldn't they go after you fist since you are so tasty?
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Korolev: That is why it is a hypothetical "could" you just need to assume they somehow found the way over any obstacle. 
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#108  Edited By Chris2KLee

Don't see a reason why not. Because A) it would be awesome, and B) I could finally ride dinosaur, like Jesus did in biblical times!

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Yes, and they should ship a t-rex to New York, King Kong-style. How could that possibly go wrong?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Chris2KLee: Dinosaurs are a lie! It is god tempting you with the thought of evolution! Don't believe the lies! Jesus rode tigers.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#111  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I don't see why not, real life isn't like the movies.  Even if one of them did go out, it wouldn't take too much to bring it down.  I don't see why it would be any different from an animal escaping from a zoo.. and just how often does that happen?

The only doubt should be whether or not it's ethical.  Personally, I have no problem with it.  If we conserve animals from extinction, why not being some of them back?

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#112  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " @Chris2KLee: Dinosaurs are a lie! It is god tempting you with the thought of evolution! Don't believe the lies! Jesus road tigers. "
    How dare you sir! The bible college I went to would never lie to me! Jesus road a T-Rex (The KING of Dinos!) and used to to fight the evil dinosaurs and clear the way for man! Unfortunately, Raptor Jesus was sacrificed in the process.
    Magiczipper82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By Magiczipper82
    @Lydian_Sel said:
    " I think I'd rather have Pokemon than Dinosaurs. I want those badges. "
    This. This this this. When I was younger, I used to imagine all the birds and shit outside were Pokemon. And I would throw rocks at them to catch them. Damn rocks were terrible Pokeballs
    Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#114  Edited By Djeffers03

Yeah as long as they're aren't able to get out and kill people / animals.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By toowalrus

Absolutely they should!

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#116  Edited By Jayross

Yes, duh. But they would have to find a remote island where they can keep them.

the_korben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By the_korben

Wether we should or should not, Jurassic Park should not really influence your opinion too much on this. I just re-read the first book, and while it's a great page turner, Michael Crichton really had a lot of problems with his concept of modern science. Something went wrong during his post-doctoral fellowship and he eventually even began to believe in mumbo jumbo like psychics and that all diseases are caused by our minds. Kind of bad if you're a Harvard medical school graduate ... Definitely try to get an informed opinion about the benefits and dangers of genetic research from somebody other than Michael Crichton. He was a good writer though.

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#118  Edited By DarkTravesty
    @blueduck said:
    " Yes they should "

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Tally_Pants

i think that cloning dinosaurs would turn out so badly... there was a reason why dinosaurs never existed at the same time as humans, and it should be left that way!

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By OmegaChosen

We're already creating anti-matter, black holes, and miniature suns on our own planet; I don't see why we shouldn't flip off natural selection as well and bring things back from the dead for our own amusement.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By penguindust
    @Rattle618 said:
    " Sure, what could go wrong? "
    Nothing I can think of. 
    No Caption Provided
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#122  Edited By Brendan
    @Mikemcn said:
    " It would be about as stupid as creating a robot that can beat you in jeopardy.  "
    The point of that thing isn't to just be good at Jeopardy, it's to be a benchmark for advancement in computer design.  They targeted a specific function to make a goal that was attainable.  
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By emem
    @danimal_furry: Even if it would be possible to clone dinosaurs right now I think you forgot to add the point where the outcome of such a being living in this time could cause catastrophic events. I don't mean dinosaurs eating people and I wouldn't even worry about that, to be honest.. dinosaurs could cause or carry illnesses we can not cure, for example.
    OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By OmegaChosen
    @emem: I don't think that dinosaurs would spontaneously produce bacteria or viruses that could potentially cause us harm. I'm not a microbiologist or anything, so liable to being wrong, but I'm fairly certain that wouldn't happen. Much more likely the opposite would happen, dinosaurs keeling over at the drop of a hat from all the new diseases that have cropped up over the last few million years.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By emem
    @OmegaChosen: Well, I'm no microbiologist either, but I really wonder if there is a way to predict how the invironment reacts to "something new" and the other way around. As far as I understand you can't, but maybe I'm wrong.. any microbioligists around? :)
    danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#126  Edited By danimal_furry
    @emem said:
    " @danimal_furry: Even if it would be possible to clone dinosaurs right now I think you forgot to add the point where the outcome of such a being living in this time could cause catastrophic events. I don't mean dinosaurs eating people and I wouldn't even worry about that, to be honest.. dinosaurs could cause or carry illnesses we can not cure, for example. "

Good point. But do those diseases transfer through the cloning? I don't know enough about that stuff. Either way, that is pretty scary. And you would have to assume that the bird flu and west nile are just as deadly to dinos, since they are basically early birds. That makes them gigantic incubators for epedemics. Scary. :o
    No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By No0b0rAmA
    @Bones8677 said:
    " Cloning and studying dinosaurs is akin to taking King Kong and putting him on stage. It's ethically wrong to exploit an animal in such a way. Not the least of which is that cloning a dinosaur goes against everything that Darwin stood for. "
    Oh no, I could never go against what Darwin stood for!
    wellAdjusted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By wellAdjusted

They better do it quick, Forsyth will be too old to clone soon.

No Caption Provided
    chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#129  Edited By chstupid

Yes and then they should make an amusement park with them!  

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Daveyo520
    @chstupid: Hey I am running a pretty good JP in a old game they had and the only thing that actually kills people are tornadoes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.