Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Aug 17, 2010

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days makes a notable switch of the titular duo, with James Lynch now taking up the role as lead protagonist over Kane. However the two are still once again forced to endure a hail of gunfire as they find themselves embroiled in Shanghai's criminal underworld.

What do you think of the demo?

StarFry64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StarFry64

I think the visuals either make it or break it, and I appreciate it a lot, but I kind of don't like how it can get in the way sometimes. Especially when you're running, it can give you a headache (and I'm aware there is a "steadicam" feature). Imagine a third-person-shooter filmed like Cloverfield.
     The game play is not anything new for me- and could have been a lot more engaging and diverse as the third-person-shooters that have come out since (ex: Gears of War , Mass Effect 2). The enemy A.I. has a rough time trying to track you down (I played it on Medium) but can really kick your ass (compliment). There were instances when I couldn't tell where Kane was unless I searched everywhere.

I've played all the modes of multi-player Cops & Robbers is what you might expect from the title. But the big issue for me in this game mode was that every time someone died in the match, a big scoreboard shows up on the left side of your screen and shows you so. It was very irritating because the people in my match kept dying constantly- and also quite a distraction from the game play. Fragile Alliance is really interesting in that it's intense on three factors - you can have a traitor in your midst, you can be backstabbed, or you'll be killed by the police (unlikely but still). Undercover Cop is interesting on paper, but if you're the cop there are two  opposing factors that will make you spotted. One - you kill an A.I. & your team-mates recognize it doesn't register for you - you die. Two - it's hard to be the cop and having to 7 criminals against you. I've had most matches of people just killing each other until they kill the Cop and then they go on their business. The mode isn't really any fun once the undercover cop is gone - it plays just like Fragile Alliance.

I hate that at any time on all multi-player matches, the host will leave the party and it all ends. The match doesn't find another player to be a host and it's totally unfair. I'm not a big fan of you having to spend money on guns only on each match as opposed to having your own weapons layouts (ex: BioShock 2 , Modern Warfare).

Hopefully the full game will offer more than just "the typical third-person-shooter but with really interesting visuals" but I'm still buying - it's certainly a unique pop twist to the shooter genre in the way that, I'll say, Crank: High Voltage did for action films.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

It's much improved. I love shaky cam in 60FPS! The control scheme was a bit weird especially with sprinting, reloading, and taking cover after playing so much Red Dead Redemption. The buying system makes me think of a much more slower version of Counter-Strike's system.

The sense of urgency in both single player and multiplayer is awesome. I believe a lot of people will play more Cops & Robbers than the other modes by release; I know I will. The scoreboard needs some improvement to be true. Also there needs to be jump in and out functionality because now people quit and creates unfair advantages.

killerdud745

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By killerdud745

Starting off I will just say that I loved the first one a lot.  I really like the shaky cam the style they are going for I feel like they nailed it. The controls do take a bit to get used to but when you do it feels like second nature.  The whole game feels faster to me and I could not enjoy it more. I always feel like someone is going to shoot me in the back I both like this and dislike it,but it's part of the game so it fits. I haven't played all the multi player  yet but what I have played I have learned not to trust anyone besides the friends I have at my back. All in all from what I have seen I will be picking it up. 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Sooperspy

Is the demo on PSN or 360. Didnt know there was a demo.
    Nevermind. Guess I missed  out. they were out of codes

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Redbullet685 said:
    " Is the demo on PSN or 360. Didnt know there was a demo "
    BlackIrish05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By BlackIrish05
    @Mmmslash said:
    " @Redbullet685 said:
    " Is the demo on PSN or 360. Didnt know there was a demo "
    "
    Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Titl

I went in thinking that i really liked what they are going for, but after playing through the demo i felt kinda "meh". The shooting has improved and the general feel of the game is alright. The thing that makes me not like it, is that even though the visuals look unique and cool, it is too straining for my eyes to look at for more than a couple of minutes. 

They just need to make another Freedom Fighters game (you're not alone Jeff), or a Hitman game.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MayorFeedback

The demo is phenomenal. Day one purchase.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bionicicide

Everything is very polished - from the filter effects, models, VO, guns (lots to choose), controls, and animations... except I hate how you don't see your secondary weapon on your player (should be standard for any TPS today) and explosions will be few and far between since you can't carry grenades (just propane and fire extinguishers to grab and throw around the environment). I appreciate the countdown in multiplayer, although I'm spoiled by Infinity Ward's attachment crazyness for guns since the weapons are all stock and it does have the unbalanced issue of Counter-Strike where better players get more cash to spend on the better weapons at the beginning of each round which is really only a problem for the adversarial mode (Cops & Robbers) as the others start you off against AI (which forces you to use cover). Looking forward to the final product. 

@Redbullet685:

@Mmmslash:

@drhans:

Unfortunately it's an Xbox 360 exclusive demo via unlockable key code (limited time). IOI plan to release a public demo later for all platforms.
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Bionicicide said:
    " Everything is very polished - from the filter effects, models, VO, guns (lots to choose), controls, and animations... except I hate how you don't see your secondary weapon on your player (should be standard for any TPS today) and explosions will be few and far between since you can't carry grenades (just propane and fire extinguishers to grab and throw around the environment). I appreciate the countdown in multiplayer, although I'm spoiled by Infinity Ward's attachment crazyness for guns since the weapons are all stock and it does have the unbalanced issue of Counter-Strike where better players get more cash to spend on the better weapons at the beginning of each round which is really only a problem for the adversarial mode (Cops & Robbers) as the others start you off against AI (which forces you to use cover). Looking forward to the final product.  "
    I believe the secondary weapon thing is a glitch of sorts.
    StarFry64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StarFry64

I've also tried Arcade Mode - which is essentially Fragile Alliance but only with bots and it's really fun. I only got to Round 7 (I couldn't help myself betraying bots) but I noticed that the bots won't betray you which is kind of dull. You're bascially playing the same level over and over, going on the same path, but with more difficult enemies and that's it.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

Neat visual theme, although I noticed enough physics and animation bugs that the illusion wasn't too great.  I'd like to see some of those effects (don't have to go too far) incorporated into other games...

However, the gameplay was pretty boring.  Very basic gunplay - kinda makes Gears of War look like a complex game.

I wonder if the game would have been better at 30fps or 24fps actually.  The 60fps framerate kinda hurts the CCTV recording illusion.  Might have been better to pile on even more effects and lock at 30.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By ColinWright
    @killerdud745: Why would you let your first post here be of you admitting you like the original Kane and Lynch?
    killerdud745

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By killerdud745
    @wh4tshisface: The reason for that is because I did like it and I am excited for the second one.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ColinWright
    @killerdud745: And you realize that this site only exists because the original was terrible?
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee
    @wh4tshisface said:
    " @killerdud745: And you realize that this site only exists because the original was terrible? "
    It exists because of Jeff's harsh reaction from his superiors over his review. 
    KwillyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KwillyB

Having paid full retail for the first one upon release im a little p/oed that I didnt get a key. This demo shouldve been public and early so we can all see if they got it right this time. As it stand I'll wait for the price drop.

StarFry64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StarFry64

Oh and today I was playing the demo again and I came across GiantBombing playing "Undercover Cop". My friend and I were like HOLY SHIT!

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bionicicide

Lucky. How well did they play?

StarFry64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StarFry64
    @Bionicicide: Their first round, they were the Undercover Cop and won. After that, they only lasted 5 minutes every round before someone killed them.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By hockeymask27
    @StarFry64 said:
    " Oh and today I was playing the demo again and I came across GiantBombing playing "Undercover Cop". My friend and I were like HOLY SHIT! "
    quicklook on the way i' m guessing?
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By jkz
    @StarFry64:  

Damn. I saw them earlier today too. They didn't do too well, but I kept glancing at their GT to make sure it was actually them. 

Then I got bored and went to play Blacklight...
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @StarFry64 said:
    " the typical third-person-shooter but with really interesting visuals "
    This is pretty much what I thought of the game when I played the demo. The Handycam effect is very cool and unique, but I wasn't all that impressed by the cover based shooter beneath that video filter. It's definitely improved over the first game, but I still feel like the cover doesn't work quite right and the enemies seem to soak up a way too much damage at times.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bionicicide

Cover system is at least better than Gears of War since running isn't mapped to the same button as taking cover. Although Uncharted series has my favorite sticky cover while I wish all sticky cover TPS's adopted Splinter Cell: Conviction's cover transition system.

I wish there was a slide animation when running and pressing the crouch button.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Venatio

Managed to get a key from Gamesradar 

Gotta say that I'm a fan of the visual style that they are going for, and the level in the demo was pretty cool through the civilian filled streets of Shanghai, didn't shoot a single civilian, don't really wanna be evil

The first one was okay but I see improvements here, hopefully they have lessened the use of "fuck" in this game, I'm a fan of the word but talk about overuse in the first game and also, I want Kane and Lynch to be more likeable as characters, more human, I hated them in the first game

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By Sooperspy

I really think the single player was fun. The shaky cam was really cool and worked well and guns and cover worked nicely. The multiplayer was pretty shitty though. At least Undercover cop was. It was the only game mode anyone was playing and everytime the round would start, I would be killed. Then I had to watch everyone else kill each other. It was really laggy when spectating and people were taking each other as human shields and then just going on with their business. It didn't make any sense.

Edit: After playing more I am now loving it. Currently playing it on PS3 and deleted the EX 360 demo. Its a lot of fun when you get good teams.

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Moeez

Fantastic demo, single-player level, offline arcade mode, and multiplayer! 

Loved the look and gameplay. Weapon locator and throwing fire extinguishers is awesome. The restaurant part with the breakable wood cover is intense as hell, and when you go out to the street, it's gorgeous. The city feels vibrant and alive, moreso than any other GTA game. The civilians react weird though, seeing my guns and only run at triggered points lol. 

They need to fix the "host migration" issue, it's ridiculous. 

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bionicicide
    @Moeez: 
    Is there host migration? Didn't think there was, but wish every peer 2 peer game had it.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm not up to date on this, will the demo become available for everyone too before release? 
    Would be great, as part one wasn't all that!
    And the replies here make me curious!

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By xxizzypop

I was somewhat into the first one and the second one, from what I've seen, holds some promise. 

@TaliciaDragonsong: Seems like they're launching a multi-platform public demo at a later date.

Jerky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jerky

Is there voice support this time?  I haven't heard anything about that...

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By beargirl1

the demo was strange. the visual style is amazing. the menus, the cutscenes and the game itself looks fantastic.  

i can't say the same for the gameplay, however. something about the shooting was very unsatisfying. everything was functional, but it didn't feel very fun to blast a dude with a shotgun or spray at a bunch of guys with an assault rifle.  

the multi player was fantastic, though. i really liked the idea, though once again, the shooting aspect came into play and it wasn't as good as it should be.  

td;dr: it looks awesome but the shooting doesn't satisfy. i'll be waiting for a price drop before picking this game up. if the shooting was better then i would be very impressed. 

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Kbm600

Now that it's out in public, I'm really digging on this demo. It has a great action movie feel.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By mikemcn

I liked how the hit markers correspond to where the bullet landed on your enemy, its a cool effect.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By turboman

I'm strangely addicted to the online segment... on PSN there was no choice but the one mode... is xbox different?

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished the Single Player portion, and played 3 rounds of Fragile Alliance.  Lots of animation bugs - characters sliding across the ground without moving, etc - really tough aiming/gun kickback.  I was almost at the vans, and some jackass quit and the whole room vanished.  It's sort of annoying that it doesn't have host migration in twenty ten.  I dunno, I REALLY like the visual style, but it seems like there's just a half-assed game underneath.  I'm incredibly disappointed.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By EpicSteve

Find out my opinion in Luchazine #3!

/plug

Ok, I won't be "that guy". It gave me a headach in more ways than one.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Yummylee
    @TurboMan said:
    " I'm strangely addicted to the online segment... on PSN there was no choice but the one mode... is xbox different? "
    I've tried it a few times though 9/10 I'd get disconnected or would take forever just to find an available match without an error message =/. Also can noone not play the single player portion in coop, or just me??
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull said:
    " @TurboMan said:
    " I'm strangely addicted to the online segment... on PSN there was no choice but the one mode... is xbox different? "
    I've tried it a few times though 9/10 I'd get disconnected or would take forever just to find an available match without an error message =/. Also can noone not play the single player portion in coop, or just me?? "
    I can't select co-op either.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yummylee
    @SkullcrusherMountain said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " @TurboMan said:
    I've tried it a few times though 9/10 I'd get disconnected or would take forever just to find an available match without an error message =/. Also can noone not play the single player portion in coop, or just me?? "
    I can't select co-op either. "
    Ah. Well I'm sorry to say I take solace in you going through the same shit ;P. Least I know it's nothing to do with my online or anything. Must of just been an intentional limitation, I guess.
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Abyssfull: 
    It seems the public demo is less involved than the invite only demo?  And holy crap, I'm unable to find ANY other people to play Fragile Alliance with on Xbox.  This can't bode well for sales.

Though, I'm kind of okay with just listening to the background music & watching the shakycam menus.
    Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ravenousrattler

i like it, i had to turn the shaky cam off though it was giving me a headache

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CowMuffins

First Kane and Lynch was sweet. this one is so sweet.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I finally got away with some money.  Having the AK makes a FUCKLOAD of difference in how I can kill the stupid cops.  It's actually possible now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.