Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

is a ps3 worth getting just for this game

• 73 results
    KrazyKanuck488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KrazyKanuck488

is a ps3 worth getting if you do not have a ps3. ive really seen great reviews about this game and i dont have a ps3 is it worth the money to get a ps3 just for this game...also is this game better than cod and is it like cod on a scale of 1-10 how similar is this game to cod.

Thanks.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Don't get a PlayStation 3 just for Killzone 2. Get it for Killzone 2 and the plethora of other great titles available for the system.

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Guardian
    LordAndrew said:
    "Don't get a PlayStation 3 just for Killzone 2. Get it for Killzone 2 and the plethora of other great titles available for the system."
    Yes! Like Uncharted.
    KrazyKanuck488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KrazyKanuck488
    LordAndrew said:
    "Don't get a PlayStation 3 just for Killzone 2. Get it for Killzone 2 and the plethora of other great titles available for the system."
    i have a xbox and i prefer xbox but sadly killzone is an exclusive sony title...im  not goning to pay full price for a ps3 i not goign to spend over $300 for it
    Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Guardian
    KrazyKanuck488 said:
    "LordAndrew said:
    i have a xbox and i prefer xbox but sadly killzone is an exclusive sony title...im  not goning to pay full price for a ps3 i not goign to spend over $300 for it "
    Price drop soon. Who knows, but I would recommend waiting a but. The PlayStation 3 has a lot to offer and a good investment. I'm glad to see Killzone is interesting 360 fans. 
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, and Uncharted are my top interests. =( Its tempting.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Pibo47
    LordAndrew said:
    "Don't get a PlayStation 3 just for Killzone 2. Get it for Killzone 2 and the few other good games."

Fix'd
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By samcotts
    Pibo47 said:
    "LordAndrew said:
    "Don't get a PlayStation 3 just for Killzone 2. Get it for Killzone 2 and the few other good games."

Fix'd"
    Don't you mean broken?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Al3xand3r

No console is worth getting for a single game. Don't trust reviews 100%

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#10  Edited By LordAndrew
    Pibo47 said:
    "LordAndrew said:

Fix'd"
    If you feel differently, voice your opinion. Don't try to change what I said.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hexpane

Absolutely not, I have a PS3 and still dont have KZ2 yet.  I don't think any FPS is worth owning a console for.  In fact I bought a XBOX1 for MORROWIND not for Halo.  Halo was 15 hours long.  singleplayer

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Mushir

If you buy a console for just one game, then thats pretty stupid.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TwoOneFive

yes, the online alone is just as great and addictive as the best of em, so if your a big fan of great fps games you are really missing out. 

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By TheHBK

Fuck no.  the game is good but some really crappy controls, uh control lag is way too long, but it is the best looking by far and worth experiencing.  But the PS3 is really a blu ray player and the best at that.  So yes, if you get Killzone 2, it is a good start and with the blu ray, its worth getting.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Get it for all the awesome games along with KZ 2. I recommend Ratchet and Clank, Little Big Planet, Motorstorm, and MGS4. 

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Luke

Wow, no mention of either Disgaea 3 or Valkyria Chronicles in this thread!?  These 2 PS3 Exclusives rock!

I have spent over 500+ hours on my save file for Disgaea 3, alone... if you compare that to the price of seeing 250 seperate 2 hour movies at the movie theater @ $12.50 a pop, then yes, the PS3 can be bought for just 1 game alone and be worth it! :p

Moving-on, I've already put-in about 60 hours on my Killzone 2 in the past 11 days (a little less than playing 6 hours a day), when combining both Single and Multiplayer, which has been an absolute blast to play (and I don't even play/like FPS games much)!

LittleBigPlanet was the first game I Platnium Tropied, so it's very close to my heart in that regard!  Also, I second Ratchet and Clank + MGS4!  I have yet to play Uncharted, which I am planning to soon... but I hear it's fabulous.

If none of these sound very appealing to you, then you may want to just wait until E3, to see if the rumored price cut comes true.  It then may make Killzone 2 that much more attractive/worth it, in regards to purchasing a PS3 for you.  Hope this helps :)

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Karmum

No console is worth it just for one game.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Good thread.

I'm waiting for a price drop though. I've been wanting a PS3 for a bit now for the blu-ray, KZ2 makes me want it slightly more, but only slightly.  With the blu-ray being my favorite feature so far of the ps3, the price tag just doesn't work with my budget, not yet at least.

With that beind said -- if at E3 they don't announce a price cut, but they do announce a plethora of exclusives available soon, that might make me reevaluate my plan.  

But to answer the question as best I can, I dont think this game is the one that will make me cave in.  MGS has a better chance of doing that.
    Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Andheez

I was kinda thinking the same thing, then I saw a PS3 at Cicuit City for $280 so I just bought it anyway.  KZ2 is a fun game, but not worth the whole system.  As was said, controls are a bit iffy (you adjust eventually), and there are some issues.  The multiplayer is good, but not the best ever, I think the controls have something to do with it, as it seems way to hard to keep track of people when they are close and running across your vision, and they take a good number of bullets.  Still, worth owning for sure if you have a PS3.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hexpane
    Luke said:
    have spent over 500+ hours on my save file for Disgaea 3, alone...  I've already put-in about 60 hours on my Killzone 2  (a little less than playing 6 hours a day), 
    no work or school for you?
    Avatar image for jollywhitegiant
    jollywhitegiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By jollywhitegiant

Even if it is Killzone 2 that pushes you over the edge and makes you decide to buy a PS3, I'm sure once you own it you'll find other titles that you would enjoy.

If you look at the PS3 catalog and can't find a single other game that rustles up some interest in you, then that's another story. I'd have to advise against getting one in that case.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

I bought my PS3 for MGS4, Killzone 2 and upcoming games like GT5 and Team ICOs new one. It was actually Shadow of the Colossus which revived my waning interest in console gaming so that was a big reason in opting for Sony's machine.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wolverine
    KrazyKanuck488 said:
    "is a ps3 worth getting if you do not have a ps3. ive really seen great reviews about this game and i dont have a ps3 is it worth the money to get a ps3 just for this game...also is this game better than cod and is it like cod on a scale of 1-10 how similar is this game to cod.Thanks."
    It depends if $400 dollars is a lot of money to you. I can't say because I don't know you financial situation.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By toowalrus

If you have an X-box, there's lots of similar shooters available. I would't pay $400 just for another one.

voghan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By voghan

Killzone 2 is an excellent game and really does validate buying a PS3.  I mostly use mine as a BluRay player because the PS3 controller absolutely sucks.  If you have a 1080p TV then pick one up because it's better for playing movies than games. 

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FCKSNAP

I'm glad only one person has dropped "investment", because that's a backwards way to think about something that you will only lose money with. I would rather say "time sink".

Also, you should really think about a console if you're really up to it. I would say that if you only want to play a single game, you should see about borrowing a friend's console or hanging out and playing the game at their house. If you're interested in the game and other things both available and on the horizon (and have the money/time), go for it.

If you end up getting one, NobyNobyBoy should be your first purchase. Just sayin'.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By carlthenimrod

At this point I wouldn't buy a PS3. A price drop is probably around the corner. Just wait it out.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By maxszy
    Twilight said:
    "If you buy a console for just one game, then thats pretty stupid."
    Not really. I bought my 360 just for Mass Effect initially. But have since played plenty of games on it.

Buy a console for one game you want to play, and you will find many other gems you didn't know existed.
    Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Optiow

Don't get it for just one game, get heaps of games.

Avatar image for chiefmegadeth666
    CHIEFMEGADETH666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CHIEFMEGADETH666

No way!
    not worth buying for this game...
    I got my brother to buy ps3 for killzone 2,lucky for him he liked MGS4 and uncharted
    Cause we got Killzone 2 and boy was it average/OK/boring
    looks pretty good,but thats about it!,games good,but not worth finishing
    We took it back,about 5 days after we got it...man i didnt even care about finishing it,thats how good it was
    I was so looking forward to this game too!
    Big let down...thank god i didnt buy ps3 for killzone 2

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hitchenson

No. It's not. I got the PS3 for a single game (MGS4) and to be honest, I kinda regret it.
    Although, I have Killzone and it is quite a good game, although not buying a console just for it worthy.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#32  Edited By gla55jAw

I have a 360 and bought a PS3 for MGS4 and blu ray. DO NOT get it just for Killzone 2. I didn't like it at all.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Definately not no system is good enough to get just for one game.

hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By hwarang
    Al3xand3r said:
    "No console is worth getting for a single game. Don't trust reviews 100%"

Exactly. 

hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hwarang
    chiefmegadeth said:
    "No way!not worth buying for this game...I got my brother to buy ps3 for killzone 2,lucky for him he liked MGS4 and unchartedCause we got Killzone 2 and boy was it average/OK/boringlooks pretty good,but thats about it!,games good,but not worth finishingWe took it back,about 5 days after we got it...man i didnt even care about finishing it,thats how good it wasI was so looking forward to this game too!Big let down...thank god i didnt buy ps3 for killzone 2"
    Did you even try the multiplayer?  
    And did you say average and then you said the game is good? 
    PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PhilESkyline
    Al3xand3r said:
    "No console is worth getting for a single game. Don't trust reviews 100%"
    Tell that to Sony when GTA was exclusive to the PS2. That game increased PS2 console sales without a doubt.
    coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By coolarman

I don't think one game could get me to get a ps3 i need at least multiple games in order to actually go buy it because i think buying a console for one game is grossly short sided

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Luke
    hwarang said:
    "chiefmegadeth said:
    "No way!not worth buying for this game...I got my brother to buy ps3 for killzone 2,lucky for him he liked MGS4 and unchartedCause we got Killzone 2 and boy was it average/OK/boringlooks pretty good,but thats about it!,games good,but not worth finishingWe took it back,about 5 days after we got it...man i didnt even care about finishing it,thats how good it wasI was so looking forward to this game too!Big let down...thank god i didnt buy ps3 for killzone 2"
    "
    5 days?!  Really?!  I beat the Single Player the first day I had it and it was just "meh"... so I see where you're coming from, but the Multiplayer is where it's at!  The Multiplayer in Killzone 2 is amazing, which I've been playing for like 12 days straight!!!
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You will be dissapointed if it's only for one game since i've played killzone 2. Try to find like a few games you might like, however the ps3 library doesn't appeal all that much to me.

GiantRetard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GiantRetard

yes totally get 1 but not just 4 killzone2 there are a few other games coming out this year that are for the ps3 only

and the blu ray player

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By get2sammyb

While I agree that Killzone 2 probably doesn't justify the PS3 -- don't forget you can still get Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Wipeout HD, blah blah blah - the list has been done before.

There are tons of games worth getting the PS3 for. If Killzone 2 is the game that tips you over the edge, then great... but buy the system on the strength of its other titles too. Let's not forget the amazing lineup Sony have planned this year too!

chiefmegadeth said:

"Games good but not worth finishing[...]didn't even care about finishing it thats how good it was" -- "average/ok/boring/[..]pretty good".

Your opinion is all over the place. Are you sure you played it? I'm cool with people not liking the game but... your post just struck me as - what's the word - not sure. You just don't really give a reason. I fail to see how anyone can say Killzone 2 is boring -- sure, you might hate the characters, story, everything about it, but, it's not boring is it?
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
    deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

samcotts said:
    "Pibo47 said:
    "LordAndrew said:

Fix'd"
    Don't you mean broken?
    "
    I think he does
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shadow

Despite what jerk fanboys say, there are several great exclusives for the PS3.

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShiroMe

No one game is worth buying a system for. But the PS3 has many great games, so dive in.

JDM006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JDM006
    LordAndrew said:
    Yep, if Killzone 2 is your only reason for getting a PS3 then you're going to have a serious case of buyer's remorse.  I'm not saying that Killzone 2 is a bad game. But the controls definitely take some getting use to.  Also the multiplayer is pretty good as well.  In my opinion however this game IS NOT better than COD4.  If you already have a PC or xbox 360 just wait for the new Call of Duty game by Infinity Ward to be released later this year 
    Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Andheez

I agree, this is a fun game no doubt, playing it quite a bit, but not exclusively.  I still play online COD4, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, it hasnt been good enough to make me forget these games.

KrazyKanuck488

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KrazyKanuck488

Thanks i dont think that i am not gunna get a ps3

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gruff182

No. Buy it so you can play MGS4, Uncharted, LBP, Heavenly Sword, GT5, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, FF13 and a whole lot of crazy from the PSN.

No one game is worth buying a console for.

As for CoD. It's million times better than WaW and on par with CoD4 in terms of single and multiplayer.

CHIEFMEGADETH666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CHIEFMEGADETH666
    hwarang said:
    "chiefmegadeth said:
    "
    well just trying not to hate on it to much...that's why i added in good
    Yeah multiplayer was good...but if single player ain't worth keeping it for then
    i just cant keep it for multi
    CHIEFMEGADETH666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CHIEFMEGADETH666
    get2sammyb said:
    "While I agree that Killzone 2 probably doesn't justify the PS3 -- don't forget you can still get Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Wipeout HD, blah blah blah - the list has been done before.

There are tons of games worth getting the PS3 for. If Killzone 2 is the game that tips you over the edge, then great... but buy the system on the strength of its other titles too. Let's not forget the amazing lineup Sony have planned this year too!

chiefmegadeth said:
    "Games good but not worth finishing[...]didn't even care about finishing it thats how good it was" -- "average/ok/boring/[..]pretty good".

Your opinion is all over the place. Are you sure you played it? I'm cool with people not liking the game but... your post just struck me as - what's the word - not sure. You just don't really give a reason. I fail to see how anyone can say Killzone 2 is boring -- sure, you might hate the characters, story, everything about it, but, it's not boring is it?"
    Well i said it looks pretty good(graphics!)
    I know sony fans can get a little crazy,so i added in games good...to keep the peace
    Yes i have played it...and yes it's average
    Well after playing games like Gears of War 1 and 2,Bioshock,COD's killzone 2 just seemed average

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.