Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Online disappointment

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thiago

I would give the Killzone 2 single player campaign a 10, but the multiplayer is a huge disappointment for several reasons. I wouldn't give it more than a 7. Here is why:

- Guerrilla doesn't seem to know what they want to be when they "grow up". They release patches tweaking the controls or adding ranks for appeasing COD4 fanboys thus destroying the experience for everyone else. It means they have no idea about what they want or should be doing, no plan, nothing;
    - The game has serious balance issues, especially with the assault class. Those issues should have been caught in the beta phase;
    - The ability to set spawn points arbitrarily is the single worst feature in the history of online FPSes. What happens is that most matches turn into a clusterfuck of people shooting aimlessly in a small room because the spawn points are created right in front of the objectives. This is not realistic and not fun;
    - Another reason for the clustering of players in a small part of the map is the fact that there's only one goal at any given moment. The several classes aren't used at all for the goals. For example, there could be goals specific for each class, like engineers setting up X number of turrets or soldiers to destroy a certain structure. This would spread the players around and give many ways of "winning" for each player;
    - The online trophies are simply unachievable for normal people. You know, people with jobs, girlfriends or other activities and they can't spend 10 hours a day playing the damn game. This is a very narrow minded thing to do because it is a cheap way of trying to force people to play it, and it favors the -tards at the expense of everyone else. It is insulting in a way, because it is like treating the players like donkeys who need "special motivations" like a carrot at the end of a stick for continuing playing it;
    - Some people just want to have some fun time online. That's why unlockables are a complete pain in the ass (especially because they don't mean "skill", it is just manual labor). The fact that you don't have access to certain guns and abilities means that you are in disadvantage against others. You need to "work" for them, but I already have a job. I don't need another job, especially one that is not paying me anything. Classes are cool, but unlockables are not;

And I am not even mentioning the many connection errors and other glitches the game has or even the lack of certain features.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

I disagree.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thiago

Your ability to rationally organize your thoughts amazes me. I am speechless.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

That's a whole lot of words to basically just say "I don't think it's very well balanced, and I don't want to put in the effort it takes to unlock things."  Sorry you feel that way, but I think it's balanced and I had no problem fully unlocking everything in the multiplayer. 

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thiago

Because of the unlockables the game is very different when you have reached the General rank than what it was at the beginning. Those problems will only appear once you have reached a high rank, as for example the "Assault class balance issue", which is mentioned in the Killzone forum many times.

The clusterfucks are a constant in matches, and very retarded.

The beta testers didn't do a good job with it, or the developers didn't pay attention to the problems.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By MAST

I actually agree with the point he made about being able to spawn anywhere, and the clusterf#$k it causes. I've played this game for over a month, and i'd say 9/10 games degenerate into that type of gameplay. Everyone spawning into one room and just tossing grenades, and shooting rockets as fast as they can before they die. Then rinsing and repeating.

It also doesn't help the issue that people can have three fking grenades. That's a ridiculous amount, and makes the gameplay of Killzone regress into nothing but grenade, and explosive spam. Personally, i think they should take grenades out of the game. Or at the very least, make it to where you don't start with any grenades, but you get one grenade by visiting an ammo box. As it is now, the Assault class' grenade launcher is damn pointless. Why would i play Assault and use a grenade launcher, when i can just play a different class, spam three grenades into a room, and get 5 kills?
    Take a hint from TF2. At one point they said that they had grenades in the game, but they said giving each class grenades dumbed the game down to nothing more then grenade spam, and also really trivialized each of the classes. So they got rid of the grenades, and instantly it made the classes more important (especially the Demoman, and Soldier), as well as made the gameplay more fun. This is the exact same problem that Killzone 2 has. They need to get rid of grenades, and return the focus to the classes.

None of the above even comes close to my most major irritation with Killzone. That it taking 20 minutes to find a game with settings that haven't been dicked with. Here is a rundown of my experience in trying to get into a game yesterday:

Joined a game, friendly fire is on. (Which i don't want)
    Join a game, and immediately get an error that boots me back to the main menu.
    Join a game, and someones has f'd with the classes. So i can't play the class that i want to play.
    Join a game, and someone has f'd with the weapons. So i can't use the weapon i want to use.

Repeat those above steps about 5 times in a row before i finally get into a game with default settings, and can use what i want to use... There is no way to filter any of that out. So i have to join the game, and go through all the loading screens before it even tells me that friendly fire is on, or weapons/classes have been restricted. It's all pretty damn absurd if you ask me... Meanwhile, i could have played through an entire CoD game, with no irritation at all.

I just think it's amusing that the aiming in Killzone is the biggest complaint, when Killzone has about 100 other, way more important problems that need to be fixed. Real problems, that sap the enjoyment out of the game.

I'm damn near to the point where i'm going to trade Killzone in for 25 bucks, and move on.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OmegaPirate

Being able to spawn anywhere is actually a tactical godsend that stops any spawn camping on your TEAM , provided the tacticians on your TEAM actually have a brain

thiago said:
    "Because of the unlockables the game is very different when you have reached the General rank than what it was at the beginning. Those problems will only appear once you have reached a high rank, as for example the "Assault class balance issue", which is mentioned in the Killzone forum many times.The clusterfucks are a constant in matches, and very retarded.The beta testers didn't do a good job with it, or the developers didn't pay attention to the problems."

Yeah, ok lemme break it down for you as i see it - The fact that not everyone has access to the same kit means you have to work as  a TEAM
    And as far as the assault class unbalancing goes - yeah they have a lot of armour, yeah the launchers are overpowered - but they only get a couple of rounds, and after that they are toast, incredibly simple, dont get hit by the fucking missile.

Every class is overpowered in some way - and underpowered in others, simply finding the class to counter the dude you are having problems with is the quick answer.

And many people can bleet all they want about the same problem, doesnt make them right (the nazis proved this) The key to playing Killzone 2 successfuly online is to read the ebb and flow of the battle and change your class to help your TEAM  at the critical moments.
    To be frank, Personal score and KDR mean next to nothing in killzone 2, the award comes from the multiplier, which is given to the most successful TEAM, if a dude wants to run around and spam missiles into spawn then die, rinse and repeat - great, thats one less enemy actually doing something useful to worry about, his KDR may be sky high, but he'll still be on the losing TEAM.

As far as 'the beta testers didn't do a good job' and ' devs didnt pay attention' - Myself being a Beta tester and seeing this product in various iterations i can assure you they did a fantastic  job, and that many more problems, glitches, tricks and balance/power issues, game speed and type modifications have been ruled out - whether you agree or not is purely opinion but it's a bit dense to say that the flagship title on an ailing sysytem which has been overhyped and subject to mass scrutiny for several years is underdeveloped and thrown out haphazardly dont you think?

At the end of the day mate it's sad that you dont seem to be enjoying yourself, this game is as close to a tf2 awesomesauce multiplayer experiance as you are going to get on a console (and no, tf2 on consoles doesnt count) , and the simple answer to your solutions mate is to quite simply set up your own room, give everyone access to all weapons, remove the assault badge and tactician class, and within 5 minutes you'll have a room full of people playing to your personal tune and in an environment oyu can control and enjoy - but i guess that may be a bit much?

You may have noticed the word TEAM appeariong a lot in this post, sad fact of the matter is, so many people are used to the non-TEAM based gameplay of most console shooters in which case rush/spam/die = profit (looking at you cod4) that as soon as they encounter another style of gameplay, its 'broken' or 'shit' which couldnt be further from the truth. 
    The amount of times ive snuck into an enemies base under guise of their comrades, crept up to an assassination target  -planted c4 on his back and then smirked as his team rush around frantically try to figure out the culprit , has given me more of a rush than any time i've ran into another martydom grenade on shipment, only to respawn and get killed by the same airstrike cycle.

Add to this the upcoming content of larger maps, vehicles and increased ranks and killzone 2's future - is looking shiny

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By MAST
    OmegaPirate said:
    ...and the simple answer to your solutions mate is to quite simply set up your own room, give everyone access to all weapons, remove the assault badge and tactician class, and within 5 minutes you'll have a room full of people playing to your personal tune and in an environment oyu can control and enjoy - but i guess that may be a bit much?

You may have noticed the word TEAM appeariong a lot in this post, sad fact of the matter is, so many people are used to the non-TEAM based gameplay of most console shooters...

Two things that popped into my head while reading your post;

First. I've created a room before in Killzone 2. And waited, and waited, and waited. Maybe one person would join, dick around for a minute or two, but then would promptly leave. A half-hour of waiting, and the game was still empty. So yes, while in theory being able to create your own room and have things your way is great, it rarely works. It's not like you create a game, wait a couple minutes, and instantly have a full, satisfying experience. It just doesn't work that way. (And yes, i have all my ports open, and router set up perfectly. So let's not go into that.) Fact of the matter is, creating a game rarely works unless you already have 10-15 people to invite into it.

Secondly, yes. Killzone 2 is a team based game, but too much so. Killzone only works well when you have two teams playing together perfectly, and communicated. Wheren lies the problem. The inherent flaw in team based FPS games. Most people don't always have a group of friends readily available to play the game with. People who are going to actually try to play the game as it should be played. With cooperation and communication. Most people are going to spend the majority of their time on Killzone 2 hopping into a random game, just simply wanting to play for a little bit before they have to leave and do something else.

Killzone might be a fantastic game in a perfect setting. Where you have two equal teams, both communicated and coorporating perfectly. But most of the time that's not the experience people are going to have. This fact, coupled with all the other problems this game has (some of which i mentioned in my previous post), make it amount to nothing more then a frustrating experience.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

I felt Killzone 2 online was kind of broken in a lot of ways, but I still had tons of fun with it.  Played about 28 hours total online so far.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince
    thiago said:
    "Your ability to rationally organize your thoughts amazes me. I am speechless."
    Well, what do you expect me to say? Every complaint you had, just flip that, and that is my emotion towards Killzone 2's online. So... I disagree.
    LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

dude, im the opposite. i give the the SP a 7 and the MP a 10+.

something's wrong with you dude. or maybe you just suck at KZ2??? j/k

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By shadows_kill

wow so maybe your just sucking at the game.. serously none of those things have effected me. the unlocks aren't that hard to get, i have had no problems with the assult class at all (not to mention i have seen probable 1 person use that class out thousands), dont like the spawn point? spawn somewhere else or make your own spawn its not hard at all and i put them in resonable places also..

thiago said:

"- Guerrilla doesn't seem to know what they want to be when they "grow up". They release patches tweaking the controls or adding ranks for appeasing COD4 fanboys thus destroying the experience for everyone else. It means they have no idea about what they want or should be doing, no plan, nothing;
    ."
    um dude wtf is this? adding ranks so people at max level can get something else is bad? supporting the game for people is bad? releasing patches is bad? explain this serously..

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thiago
    OmegaPirate said:
    "Being able to spawn anywhere is actually a tactical godsend that stops any spawn camping on your TEAM , provided the tacticians on your TEAM actually have a brain"

Spawn camping is another flaw in this game. You are advocating using one problem to fix another problem? Many games solve this issue in different ways. Some prevent spawn camping by not allowing the other team to advance after a certain point, some offer many fixed spawn points throughout the map. Simple. 

The problem with tacticians is when people create spawn points right next to the objective. And then you have a clusterfuck of people showering grenades and shooting aimelessly.

Besides, spawn points destroy the idea of "waves of soldiers being deployed" and aren't realistic at all. It also promotes rush/die/profit behavior, since the whole multiplayer game is grinding-oriented. Guerrilla managed to transform a FPS into a WoW-tard grindfest based on XP.

"You may have noticed the word TEAM appeariong a lot in this post, sad fact of the matter is, so many people are used to the non-TEAM based gameplay of most console shooters in which case rush/spam/die = profit (looking at you cod4) "

The entire Killzone 2 experience is based on grinding, unlocking new weapons, gaining medals and trophies. It's individualism from the beginning to end. The rewards for team play are next to nil (1.5x bonus?).

By favoring XP grinding they have shut the game off for any normal person, with a job and other activities in life and can't play the game for hundreds of hours a week. The game is not based on skill or teamplay.

It is no surprise the number of players online have only fallen since the game was launched. In the beginning when you are a simple soldier things are actually fun, but the game deteriorates gradually as you advance to the rank of General.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.