Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 29, 2009

Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days is a Nintendo DS title revolving around Roxas's birth and his life as an Organization XIII member.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (NewTrailer)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't know how they achieve that stuff on the DS. Great job, Square.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Wow! that looks almost like the PS2 games, that's obviously the best looking DS game I've seen so far.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By danielkempster

I can't believe what I'm seeing. Those graphics actually look on par with the PS2 games, and they seem to run at a very smooth frame rate. And there's voice acting too? This looks like it could be a PSP game, no joke. How they've managed to pull this off on the DS is beyond me.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Steve_C

Looks bloody impressive for the DS. The combat is sooo kingdom hearts. Button-mashy, but i like it.

It amused me how they've spun out the Utada track again from KH II.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Axersia

Looking great! I really hope it's gonna be a solid singleplayer experience despite its large multiplayer focus, though. I don't live in Japan after all, so I can't just whip out my DS on the train and expect a dozen other people to be playing the same game (and seeing as it doesn't have Wi-Fi support, I'll probably never actually get to try out the multiplayer mode).

Regardless, I already have the Japanese version pre-ordered.

BronzDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BronzDragon

NICE!

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

Can't wait to play Kingdom Hearts again!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Meowayne

I am expressing serious doubt about this being rendered by the DS 3D hardware. I've dug into what the machine is capable of during my FFVII research, and what I am looking at in this trailer, to my amateur eyes, looks absolutely impossible to do with the DSs 2000 poly limit.

3D artists often challange each other to produce impressive results with the lowest possible polycount, and I have seen some amazing work being done with the DS poly limit, but none of these came even close to the character models shown in this trailer.

So either they developed some crazy technique to soften the edges and work wonders with textures on low-poly models (hard to imagine), or they did somehow work around the DS hardware's polycount-limit (impossible, as far as I know), or this is not real time.

To put things into perspective: Tekken 3 or Tomb Raider 1 have poly counts WAY over what the DS can physically handle. Compare that to the trailer above. Yeah.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

How many people on Giantbomb.com actualy SPEAK Japanese?

Game looks lame, Kingdom Hearts should have been a one time thing...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne

Ah, yes. Looking at actual screens of the game, it's obvious that this trailer exclusively shows cutscene material. Not surprisingly, Square does this a lot.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Meowayne said:
    "I am expressing serious doubt about this being rendered by the DS 3D hardware. I've dug into what the machine is capable of during my FFVII research, and what I am looking at in this trailer, to my amateur eyes, looks absolutely impossible to do with the DSs 2000 poly limit. 3D artists often challange each other to produce impressive results with the lowest possible polycount, and I have seen some amazing work being done with the DS poly limit, but none of these came even close to the character models shown in this trailer.So either they developed some crazy technique to soften the edges and work wonders with textures on low-poly models (hard to imagine), or they did somehow work around the DS hardware's polycount-limit (impossible, as far as I know), or this is not real time. To put things into perspective: Tekken 3 or Tomb Raider 1 have poly counts WAY over what the DS can physically handle. Compare that to the trailer above. Yeah."

They may well be showing "Enhanced for DSi" footage in the trailer above, given the choice, it makes perfect sense to show the game at it's best.

It does look amazing,

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowayne

Nope, the actual gameplay looks exactly like other DS games. The stuff shown in this trailer is from cutscenes.

And the DSi isn't more powerful than the DS.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Meowayne said:
    "I am expressing serious doubt about this being rendered by the DS 3D hardware. I've dug into what the machine is capable of during my FFVII research, and what I am looking at in this trailer, to my amateur eyes, looks absolutely impossible to do with the DSs 2000 poly limit. 3D artists often challange each other to produce impressive results with the lowest possible polycount, and I have seen some amazing work being done with the DS poly limit, but none of these came even close to the character models shown in this trailer.So either they developed some crazy technique to soften the edges and work wonders with textures on low-poly models (hard to imagine), or they did somehow work around the DS hardware's polycount-limit (impossible, as far as I know), or this is not real time. To put things into perspective: Tekken 3 or Tomb Raider 1 have poly counts WAY over what the DS can physically handle. Compare that to the trailer above. Yeah."
    Cutting the fps down to 30 ups the poly limit to 4000. If you notice, the environments here are rather low poly as usual, only the characters have additional details from the average DS title. Most of their polygons seem to be on the face, and the rest is just expert modeling that helps them keep a good form. There's also the matter of cut scenes using higher poly versions for all their close ups, which don't tend to show more than 2-3 characters at once, while regular gameplay where you don't see the characters up close and personal has a different approximate model.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Meowayne

*points to posts above*

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah I was writing it. I saw the new posts but I still had some more points, like the poly limit thing. Also, the DSi is more powerful according to wikipedia's listed specifications.Both have two cpus, but where the DS has one over 60 and one over 30, for a total of 100mhz, the DSi has one @ 133 and the other, I don't know. Unless I or wikipedia got it wrong.

Also, the trailer doesn't exclusively show cut scenes, it has a lot of gameplay, but not in close up view as it tends to show the 4 players. It still looks better than something like Phantasy Star 0, at least visually.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Meowayne said:
    "Nope, the actual gameplay looks exactly like other DS games. The stuff shown in this trailer is from cutscenes.

And the DSi isn't more powerful than the DS.

"

What do you mean the DSi is not more powerful than the DS?.

EDIT:

DS / DSi comparisons
    Screen size: DSi: 3.25 inches; DS lite: 3 inches
    Processor: DSi: ARM 133MHz Processor; DS : 67MHz
    RAM: DSi: 16MB; DS lite: 4MB

Battery: DSi: 840 mAh (up to 14 hours on low brightness) DS lite 1000 mAh (up to 19 hours on low brightness)
    Size: (width - depth) DSi: 5.40×0.74 inches DS lite: 5.20×0.85 inches
    Stylus: DSi: 92mm DS lite: 87mm

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By toowalrus
    Linkyshinks said:
    What do you mean the DSi is not more powerful than the DS?. That's BS...

DS / DSi comparisons
    Battery: DSi: 840 mAh (up to 14 hours on low brightness) DS lite 1000 mAh (up to 19 hours on low brightness) Size: (width - depth) DSi: 5.40×0.74 inches DS lite: 5.20×0.85 inches Stylus: DSi: 92mm DS lite: 87mm"
    Do you think that Kingdom Hearts will be released exclusively for DSi? Will it not play on a DS lite?!
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Not likely but it could potentially have enhanced graphics, for example the cut scene models used during gameplay for the DSi. But I doubt it, the game's been in development for some time, it probably is identical on both...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks
    TooWalrus said:
    "Linkyshinks said:
    What do you mean the DSi is not more powerful than the DS?. That's BS...

DS / DSi comparisons
    Battery: DSi: 840 mAh (up to 14 hours on low brightness) DS lite 1000 mAh (up to 19 hours on low brightness) Size: (width - depth) DSi: 5.40×0.74 inches DS lite: 5.20×0.85 inches Stylus: DSi: 92mm DS lite: 87mm"
    Do you think that Kingdom Hearts will be released exclusively for DSi? Will it not play on a DS lite?!"

No way, it will run on both. As a "Enhanced for DSi" game, on a DSi it will likely run smoother in areas (with a possibility of other graphical enhancements) and will give users options which are unavailable on the DS Lite running the game.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's looking awesome...

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Is that really the best name they could come up with? Not to be a jerk or anything, and I almost hate to say it, but that has got to be the dumbest name I've ever heard in my life. Seriously, wow. I can't even think of a book or movie with a worse name than this. I think this one really beats them all. And for such a big series to have a name like this... pretty shocking, if you ask me. So it's actually pronounced Kingdom Hearts Three Five Eight Days Over Two? Dude, how does one even respond to that? It almost puts me at a complete loss for words. This name is officially... retarded.

Anyway, I think my friend Vince said it best when he said "Why didn't they just call it Kingdom Hearts 179 Days?"

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#23  Edited By AgentJ

Linkyshinks... I already posted a thread about the new video... : (

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Linkyshinks

Sorry mate.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks
    TheGreatGuero said:
    Is that really the best name they could come up with? Not to be a jerk or anything, and I ... [more]

I have to agree, it is nonsense, they could pay the price in the West if it does not receive a name change.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    Linkyshinks said:
    TheGreatGuero said: Is that really the best name they could come up with? Not to be a jerk or anything, ... [more]
    Well, I don't necessarily believe it will kill the game's sales in the U.S., but I can't imagine most people actually pronouncing it the way Square wants them to. I think generally people will just start referring to it as Kingdom Hearts DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.