Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Open World Jank/General Weird Stuff?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Now L.A Noire hardly pulls in the best ideas to make use of its amazingly established Los Angeles, but even without all of the activities there was still the occasional bit of hilarious jank that's so commonly associated with open-worlds. It doesn't nearly the match the insanity that could unfold in the Wild West of RDR--no using your partner as a steering wheel or anything like that--fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your stance on glitches gone great) though I did encounter some occurrences of weirdness, including one where while examining a piece of evidence, that selfish bastard Rusty yet again just has to steal the show by screwing up his walking patterns and decided to rudely place himself right in front of me.   

Cole giving an attempt at ventriloquism? Either that or Cole's practicing for his upcoming cameo appearance in some Mortal Kombat DLC.
     Cole giving an attempt at ventriloquism? Either that or Cole's practicing for his upcoming cameo appearance in some Mortal Kombat DLC.

And the most common is spotting people floating about, like our Mr Super Cop here:  

No Caption Provided

Pretty tame stuff, though there was also the one time where a car quite literally nudged Cole, and Cole screamed out like his balls exploded and died. 

Many people completely disregarded the open-world aspect of it, and that's understandable, so I don't expect as many, nor zany, stories as other open-world games deliver on. But non-the-less do I promote all the stupid stuff you've found! I mean I remember on the bombcast that Brad said he heard that someone else somehow found their car parked inside a house during an interrogation.. so the potential is certainly there. Including a quick google search that brings up Cole's attempt to playing as Spider-man. 

Also while it's not exactly jank, there's the often accusation of being called an asshole being told ''fuck you!'' randomly by like 3/5 pedestrians I'd pass, with a particular cop in every precint who insults me everytime without fail as I'm going down the stairs! 
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By EVO

I've sunk 30 hours into it and I've only seen one notable glitch so far: in The White Shoe Slaying case when you gotta chase down the taxi, when I was speaking to the driver my car suddenly appeared on the sidewalk behind us, all beat up. And at that moment I earned the Miles on the Clock trophy. 

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

In the section in the bar before you follow that lady to the station Coles head kept shifting about on his body like something out of a horror movie. It's happened both times I played that case. 
    I had my partner stuck in the air many times when I was hunting for the film reels. .
    Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Metzo_Paino

During a homicide case where you go to the back of a bar to speak to the owner the opening dialogue had no facial movements, which was really odd. 

I also found that house that you can run up. It is on a homicide case where you speak to a female neighbour and is the other side of the broken into house. 

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By fetchfox

My partners often ended up on top of a fence or a bush, but nothing really serious. I've been all over the map finding all the collectibles, and I'm surprised at how few jank/glitches I've experienced. They've done solid bug work.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By danielkempster

I can only think of two instances I've experienced. The first occurred in the Homicide case where you have to speak to a bus driver as part of your clue-finding (can't remember which case it is). The bus got stuck on some component of the world, and I couldn't trigger the conversation, even after reloading my saved game. The second instance happened while I was free-roaming last night - a car literally drove through the car in front of it. It got about halfway through before I guess collision detection kicked in, and both cars went flying into the air to sounds of crunching metal. Other than those two isolated incidents, no glitchiness to speak of.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Slaker117

I never had any really janky issues, but did notice the random insults you mentioned. Always found it weird that pedestrians would feel the need to constantly call out a dude just walking down the street, especially when they question my hygiene for some reason. Was there a Deadly Premonition style cleanliness mechanic I missed, or is the game just making (correct) assumptions about the person playing?

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By YoThatLimp

During a car chase a car fell from the sky and crushed my car, kind of sucked.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By FancySoapsMan

The funniest one I experienced was when I knocked down a random pedestrian and they just lay on the ground screaming for a few seconds.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Barrock

Yeah the "OH GOD" fall down is hilarious and annoying. takes forever to get back up. The only weirdness I've encountered is cars disappearing when I look behind me. It was especially annoying when I tracked down one of the cars I need for the trophy and the damn thing disappeared out of nowhere.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By strainedeyes

During one of the cutscenes, all the character's heads were jerking around randomly. Only happened once, though.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Yanngc33

I had the ground disappear from under me, i saw a flying car and once cole started talking during a cutscene yet his lips did not move

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By louiedog

People who are far away have a lower resolution face than people who are close to you. Once, during an interview, a woman's face switched to the low res version. It wouldn't have been so bad with a different game, but with the facial capture stuff they use in this it was horrific looking.

I fell through the world while investigating a crime scene. Luckily I'd just gotten there so I didn't lose any progress when I reloaded.

I've also seen a couple of instances where people in an area start driving like assholes and running into each other.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By beargirl1

Jesus rose from the ashes of NBA Elite 11 and has made his way into LA Noire 

marchismo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By marchismo

My playthrough was relatively jank-free, but I did see a suspect in one of the street crimes looking like he was having a seizure after Cole tackled him.

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sean2206

My playthrough went pretty well except for some random pop in of textures and buildings. 

Although on a few occasssions when crossing the road a car would gently nudge cole, he would fall down gently but roar with pain and I would die.
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Vonocourt

@Sean2206 said:

Although on a few occasssions when crossing the road a car would gently nudge cole, he would fall down gently but roar with pain and I would die.

I've had that happen when I was picking a location to drive too, though I didn't die.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I saw a car fuse with another and a restaurant slowly loading with an empty space then the furniture then people would appear flying over their chairs then falling into them.

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

I was stuck running with my arms out and my legs bent like you do when you climb a drainpipe. 
    It was hilarious, then it randomly want back to normal. 

I find little things like this more hilarious than annoying, so long as it doesn't wreck my gameplay too much. 

@AjayRaz 
    That is brilliant.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By louiedog

Today I ran my car head first into a wall at high speed. Then, the front end start sinking into the pavement. When my car was perpendicular to the road I bailed. When the animation for my partner and I exiting finished we both were transported about 20 feet away instantly and the car flew up, hit the wall, and crashed on its side.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By golguin

I've seen a guy on top of a car, I've had a partner stuck on a bush and during a car chase scene a car in front of me just propelled straight into the air for no reason. I also once trapped myself in a corner by kicking a box and having it wedge against some other environment elements. There was no escape.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By kush

I find my partner(s) has horrible A.I. in general. They only exist for story purposes and nothing else.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By PhatSeeJay

While a hand through a man's body is quite amazing, we all know that evidence is irrelevant to the case. :P

Also: LA Noire has nothing on the Cougar Man, another product from the R* laboratory of horrors.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By duskvamp
    @AjayRaz: That same glitch happened to me when I was in that room! I had to take a picture cos it made me laugh.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By wrighteous86

I must be lucky (or unlucky, depending on your view), because I've played through the GTAs, RDR, and LA Noire and didn't come across any bugs like these.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#26  Edited By Brackynews

During one of the newspaper vignettes I picked up today, one of the main characters in the cutscene *did not render at all*. There were subtitles, and the other characters were reacting to the dialogue that I couldn't hear (so I actually don't know which character it was), but there was this big empty space... until... he put on his hat... and I watched the invisible man turn around and walk away. O_o

Definitely the oddest glitch I've seen(?) so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee02708d2a83
    deactivated-5ee02708d2a83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Team LAG has an out of the map glitch that's pretty good, if you're into the type of thing. As far as my playthrough goes, the only glitch I encountered was following a street crime where my gun was never holstered once the case finished. Despite my initial excitement, it was simply in Phelps's hand and could not be aimed nor fired.  
    Team LAG's out of the map:  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.