Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Aug 18, 2010

A departure from the usual gameplay of the Tomb Raider franchise, this download-only game features a fixed, isometric camera angle and concentrates on co-op combat, platforming, and puzzle solving.

Square Enix Announces... A New Game Featuring Lara Croft

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics have announced - "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light" ... No, that's it, the Tomb Raider name has been dropped for some presently unknown reason. The game that's due later this year, will be a digital download exclusive.  

The new game will be shown behind closed doors at the upcoming Game Developers Conference on the 9th of March. I imagine fans will hear more about the game then. 

UPDATE

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

UPDATE  

Ryan has interviewed a Crystal Dynamics rep and this years GDC event in San Francisco.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Ace829

Any news on what genre it will be?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure

I can only imagine this is a FFX-2 remake with Lara Croft as a playable character.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm betting it will be in the vein of a shadow complex-metroid-castlevania type game.
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Toxin066

The lack of Tomb Raider in the title makes me wonder if there won't be any tomb raiding.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Ace829

I think it's confirmed that we'll see some fanservice right?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

Why does this thread title sound so wrong? 

I think I need at least another year of these games before I get used to it.  

Also yeah I hope it's something kinda fresh.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno
    Keir_Eidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Keir_Eidos

Hello from Eidos!  

*looks at blank stares and watches tumbleweed roll passed* 

Anyway, just wanted to say some screens can be found here ->   http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/headlines3689.html

I also want to clarify that this isn't the next Tomb Raider. Crystal are working on two projects right now and this one is something new and different. There's some awesome touches in the game and it's basically a bit like an explosion of win in your face. Those that are interested can expect some news from GDC.  

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Keir_Eidos said:
    " Hello from Eidos!  

*looks at blank stares and watches tumbleweed roll passed* 

Anyway, just wanted to say some screens can be found here ->   http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/headlines3689.html I also want to clarify that this isn't the next Tomb Raider. Crystal are working on two projects right now and this one is something new and different. There's some awesome touches in the game and it's basically a bit like an explosion of win in your face. Those that are interested can expect some news from GDC.   "

I've added those to the OP - thanks. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

I've gotta say this - it's super weird seeing "Square Enix" and "Lara Croft" in the same sentence.  I still haven't gotten used to this Square Enix buyout of Eidos...or merger...or whatever the fuck it is. 

I'll probably freak the fuck out whenever the trailer comes out for Arkham Asylum 2, and it says "Square Enix" at the beginning. 

With that said, I'm kind of curious about this game.  Crystal Dynamics used to make some pretty interesting games (not always great, as anyone who has ever played Akuji the Heartless can attest to).  Giving them the opportunity to spread their wings a bit might help breath some new life into the Tomb Raider games, as well as get their creative juices flowing for other game ideas............... 

....................like a new fucking Legacy of Kain...maybe. 

@Keir_Eidos: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ wink wink, hint hint

Keir_Eidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Keir_Eidos
      @Linkyshinks: Yay, thanks. 

@jakob187: Couple of things...  

I'm still getting used to it as well :P In case you're interested: Square Enix purchased Eidos and subsequently Square Enix Europe was born (consisting of what was Eidos HQ in London, Eidos France, Crystal Dynamics, Eidos-Montréal, IO Interactive, etc, etc). The 'Eidos' name lives on as a label so the games you'd traditionally associate will still have the logo and splash screen but ultimately we're Square Enix. (B:AA 2 won't be one of the forthcoming Eidos games though, Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment are sole publishers).  

I get questions and suggestions about LoK every day. I make sure I pass them on to the powers that be. Your post has been noted. 
    Keir_Eidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Keir_Eidos
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I certainly second the want for a new LoK. A game of the type could be wonderfully realised using current technology. It would be worth the investment - as well as having a very eager loyal fan-base in place, anything to do with Vampires sells extremely well these days. You should mention that latter fact to your company men when you next have the chance ;).   I ruined my Dreamcast copy of Reaver after trying to clean it a few months ago, I'll need to buy it again ^^ "
    You're not wrong. There's still about five active fansites, and forums still see good discussion, it's really cool. The suits are aware of this info too :) 

Also, I hope this isn't too spammy (I'll remove it if it is) but for people that like the social internets and want to get the latest on LCGoL check out facebook.com/laracroft and @CrystalDynamics on twitter. We'll be updating it with some exclusive stuff and there'll be some cool competitions too. 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust
    @Keir_Eidos: thanks for the heads up! 

This game seems to be a dungeon crawler with co-op on the tomb raider world. It seems good! I'm looking forward to it.
    Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bionicicide

What's the puzzle to action ratio?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.