Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Life Is Strange

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jan 30, 2015

An episodic adventure game based around time manipulation from Remember Me developers DONTNOD.

So, Life Is Strange 2 Confirmed to be in the works

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

So Dontnod has confirmed that they will be working on Life IS Strange 2. It will have new characters and likely that means a new town/situation. (PC Gamer, Tom Sykes, http://www.pcgamer.com/life-is-strange-2-confirmed-by-dontnod/)

I think that is excellent news. I would love to play another game like LiS, but I don't think you can use Max and Chloe again...mainly because one of them is dead in about 65% of players games. I'll be interested to hear more about what they plan, but I would assume any game is still two years away or at least 18 months.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Hey I'm not really bothered by the spoiler, but you should probably put some of that second paragraph in a spoiler tag.

Anyway, I'd rather they just do "Remember Remember Me?" because I actually liked what they were trying with that game and would love to see it improved upon. Either that or just something totally new, because LiS isn't really my cup of tea.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@monkeyking1969: Can you edit in the link or article where you found this, please?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Cautiously optimistic, though I'm curious how much it would have in common. I take it for granted that the setting and character dynamics would be significantly different, but I'd also hope that it isn't the same time rewinding power. But sure, throw some other person into a crazy situation and see how it affects their life over 5 days.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dr_mantas

Sadly, this is wrong. It was written in a french interview with the cofounder of Dontnod, something to the effect that he will be working on the sequel, Life Is Strange 2. The next day they added a clarification at the top and changed the wording to say that he WOULD be glad to work on it, IF it happens. So it's not confirmed.

Of course you had slow uptake from news sites, especially Gamespot publishing the story long after the original article was changed...

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_mantas: Thanks for the clarification, this did seem like an extremely fast announcement otherwise. Especially with the studio having another game in the works.

@teddie said:

ither that or just something totally new, because LiS isn't really my cup of tea.

They are making a Vampire RPG right now, so I'm pretty excited for that. It's called Vampyr, not much is known for it, just a concept teaser. Vampyr.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce: I think one of the developers mentioned that half the Dontnod team has been working on Vampyr, while the other half were making Life is Strange. At least I think I read that on the Life is Strange subreddit (which is a great community for sharing thoughts about this wonderful game).

Anyhow, that might mean... things... concerning development in that studio, we don't know what their work planning is like, but half the team might not be doing Vampyr... However it never pays to be too hopeful.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd have no problem with Life is Strange being the title for the series with each season telling a different story with different characters. For me irrespective of which ending you saw that story is over.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

Cautiously optimistic, though I'm curious how much it would have in common. I take it for granted that the setting and character dynamics would be significantly different, but I'd also hope that it isn't the same time rewinding power.

Why not? If nothing else, I feel that the ability to explore possibility space with the local rewind was kinda essential to what LiS had going on.

Anyway, I'm hoping that season 2 keeps the base mechanics, the aesthetics, the kinds of personalities and issues, the pensive qualities of season 1 -- basically the things that made up the majority of the game -- and not so much the things which characterized the ending. It seems like they would have to get away from the Donnie Darko Final Destination shtick to tell a compelling new story utilizing the mechanisms of the first season...right?!?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fnrslvr: That's what I mean. If they bring back the time rewind power, IF it works in the same way, then you'd kinda already know what the protagonist is going to have to decide to do at the end again. Sure, a fair amount of people guessed how that was gonna go, but if it has the same moral at the end about fate and messing with timelines, then it seems like you already know the outline of the story. A totally different power would be the safe bet, but sure, if they use the time rewind power in a way where it has a different basis than season 1, I'm up for that.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By monkeyking1969

@dr_mantas said:

@zolroyce: I think one of the developers mentioned that half the Dontnod team has been working on Vampyr, while the other half were making Life is Strange. At least I think I read that on the Life is Strange subreddit (which is a great community for sharing thoughts about this wonderful game).

Anyhow, that might mean... things... concerning development in that studio, we don't know what their work planning is like, but half the team might not be doing Vampyr... However it never pays to be too hopeful.

Well, since June they have been kicking around the idea, so I'd say chances are excellent for a continuation.

"....Speaking to Polygon, co-Game Director and Art Director Michel Koch compared the potential move to a television series like True Detective, which replaced its entire cast between its first and second seasons. "We can really go with other characters, other locations, but still keep the identity of the game, the themes of the game," he said."

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm probably one of 3 people on the planet that hopes someone backs them in making Remember Me 2.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

That team working on another game in the similar style of Life is Strange would be awesome. I know Dontnod is making some vampire game to be released like in 2017, and while that could be fine, I'm much more interested in a "Life is Strange 2", since I loved Life is Strange so much.

If it is named "Life is Strange 2" I think that has some expectations with how it relates to LIS, so I'm not sure about this being treated as a franchise.

Also, obviously you can't have a game with Max and Chloe again, and if some of the other aspects of Life is Strange carry over like time travel, that might be a little too deja vu for my tastes. I don't know, maybe it will be awesome.

Anyways, who knows how it will turn out, but hearing those guys and gals are making a new game like that makes me happy. :D

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are there any sales data on all the episodic games of this nature? Like, how did Walking Dead Season 1 sell, compared to other TellTale games, compared to the new King's Quest episodic thing, compared to Life Is Strange.

I guess it just makes me think that TellTale rarely does sequels to seasons except for The Walking Dead because I feel like saleswise that one is probably their golden goose that has made back its budget several times over. I wonder if Life Is Strange is successful enough to not be a loss, or if it far exceeded expectations to the point that a sequel season totally makes sense. At the end of the day, I'm assuming sequels are always way more of a business decision than a creative decision.

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I'm happy to include myself as one of those 3 people then :D

That said, I also hope for a Life is Strange 2. The first one is GOTY material for me this year.

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By boboblaw

This is great news. I would love to see a continuation of Max and Chloe's story as by the end of that game I fucking loved these 2 characters and their relationship, enough to let the whole town die. However I know with multiple endings that its not really possible to continue their story. It makes me wish dontnod didn't end the game the way they did, although thats only because I loved all the characters, the town and the high school/college setting so it'll be super interesting to see where they set it next time. Super excited for it.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I want to see what they make, but I'm not sure I want a sequel to Life is Strange, even spiritually. If we're still dealing with the time travel abilities, then everyone knows how that story goes now, because they were tied to how that plot ended up. And if they don't have them, then what are the mechanics of Life is Strange 2?

It would have been nice to see a continuation of the plot. I like these characters, and another adventure with them might be nice. But you can't have that after the endings of Life is Strange.
    Well, I wouldn't mind if they picked a canon one. But even if they did do that, no matter which ending they picked, Max would probably not use her powers again.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would definitely like a new game from them in the same "story" vain as Life Is Strange, but I think that calling it LiS2 would maybe put them into much of a box and that they would feel made to keep some elements of LiS (time travel, teens, etc) and you can't really continue the story with how LiS ended. But what they have done is what ever Dontnod puts out, I am going to give it a look.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Back in June or something they said they had some ideas for a second season but they need Square Enix's blessing to do it.

Yeah while it's true that if they keep the rewind power, you pretty much know how the story is going to be concluded. Even then though, I think they'll still make something worth experiencing for me.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After playing Remember Me, I decided that Dontnod will be a developer whose games I will buy day 1 without thinking too much. I guess so far I wasn't wrong.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, this is wrong. It was written in a french interview with the cofounder of Dontnod, something to the effect that he will be working on the sequel, Life Is Strange 2. The next day they added a clarification at the top and changed the wording to say that he WOULD be glad to work on it, IF it happens. So it's not confirmed.

Of course you had slow uptake from news sites, especially Gamespot publishing the story long after the original article was changed...

Glad to hear it. As someone who really liked Life Is Strange, I hope a sequel doesn't happen. We have too many sequels every year already. I want new ideas.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: They said if it was a sequel, it would be new characters, new setting, and I'm almost certain new ideas, knowing the developer.

This is one sequel I definitely don't mind getting.

Avatar image for eulogize_my_baked_goods
    eulogize_my_baked_goods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

LiS has been one of the real surprises of this year. IMO Ep5 really stuck the landing, something I think that is backed up by seeing just how closely tied the final percentages ended up being. I will be very interested to see where they take a sequel, be it a literal follow-up or in spirit only, although I do agree that a new cast and location all seem like sound choices (even though I'll be sad to see the back of Arcadia Bay). Also, given the meta-themes of the first series I'm intrigued to see where they take the story. The circular nature of the choices/events that play out in this game has been one of its real joys, but that would be quite difficult to pull off a second time around.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really excited to see what they do next. Should be interesting to see what they do for the 'gimmick,' if they stick with the time stuff or do something else along the same lines thematically.

My biggest hope is that the main character is stronger, though. I was a little conflicted on episode five, and now that the whole season has had a little time to settle, I think I felt that way because Max was kind of a blank slate, much more than other modern adventure game MCs.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:
    @dr_mantas said:

Glad to hear it. As someone who really liked Life Is Strange, I hope a sequel doesn't happen. We have too many sequels every year already. I want new ideas.

If they make anything, and it looks like they WILL make something, it won't be a direct sequel in all likelihood. Even their early talk about 'maybe another' was about using the concept not the story or characters. The only thing they might do is a call back noticeable by fans, but within another story. Like a Winnebago driving by with a dog's head out the window, or a news reporter talking about 'the tragedy of the water spout' that occurred nearly a year ago..

Dontnod could anchor the universe in the same reality (what a weird concept for this game), but it would be a new story with new characters and possibly even new powers. But at that point we can only speculate. I would love a series called 'Life Is Strange' where concepts like time, fate are explored through different stories. After all this first game was called Life Is Strange, it is not called "Max : The Black Room" or "BlackWell" or even "Arcadia Bay Stroies". The title is memorable without being specific about time, place or characters - life in its many meanings has been strange forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.