Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Limbo

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Jul 21, 2010

A young boy seeks to rescue his lost sister from the dreary, dangerous world of Limbo in this monochrome puzzle-platformer.

Surprised it got through with a T rating

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DrPockets000

It's rated T for "Animated blood and mild violence". 

Now, don't get me wrong, I fucking love Limbo and the rating in no way impacts my enjoyment of the game, but it still surprised me.  At one point in the game, I tried to dodge a machine gun but was too slow.  The gun ripped me in half and the top half went sailing toward the top of the screen, followed by entrails, which in turn wrapped themselves around a chain and left the torso hanging.  Both me and my friend actually exclaimed in shock at this.  There is also the part where you can get crushed and the gore sticks to the piston.  In a zero gravity situation I got hit by a saw blade and chunks flew everywhere.   

Was anyone else surprised?  What were some of the best gore moments in the game for you?

Timing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Timing

Not over here it didn't.

No Caption Provided
    KyleDaniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By KyleDaniels

Yeah that is odd now that you mention it. Some of the deaths are quiet gruesome and chilling to say the least...

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By YoungFrey

I know the ESRB cares about blood color.  If blood is green for some reason it's better than red.  I'd bet the abstraction of he silhouettes was what got it by.      
    This is the ESRB's description.  It don't think it captures how gory the game is.  I don't know if it rates an M, but I think the description is understating it a little.

Content descriptors: Animated Blood, Mild Violence

Rating summary:

This is a puzzle platformer in which players control a boy as he traverses side-scrolling landscapes, solves obstacle puzzles, and defeats occasional enemies. The game is rendered in black and white and the graphics are presented in a 2D side-view silhouette. Enemies throw fireballs, shoot arrows, or try to lure the boy into traps; traps and hazards contain giant boulders, saw blades, electric wires, spikes, and snapping bear traps. When killed, the boy gets flung around environments, impaled on spikes, or sliced into pieces. Black-and-white blood splashes accompany most attacks and death animations.

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By mau64

Yeah it is weird. No blood probably helped that game get through with a T rating, even though some of the scenes might be a bit too intense for some.

DrivingBj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By DrivingBj

A friend recommended Limbo to me. I knew nothing about it before I fired it up. The gruesome deaths caught me by surprise. I mean, it's a kid and that spider impaled him and carried him around like a trophy. Gruesome, but a lot of fun.

Grattak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Grattak

wait its a kid right aren't isnt it liek illegal to show kids getting killed in videogames in some regions?

not that i support such laws just wondering

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

It is kind of bloody and kind of violent but the way its portrayed in comparison to other games seems T worthy. One thing that doesn't mention though is how fucking sinister the game is.

Greyhound85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Greyhound85

I thing what makes it just squeek by is the fact its all in black and white...when ya die it's gruesome sometimes, but you can really make out all the detail. But ya, I didn't even know this was a T rating now that you mention it...I just bought it regardless.... 

If you wanna see something funny...put the gore filter on...it changes a bit of the game around. Like the scene with the bodies in the water you need to jump across...they're all logs instead :P
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DrPockets000
    @Greyhound85: Perhaps you're right, but the fact that the boy got ripped apart definitely seemed M-worthy. 

Although, the American ratings systems are terrible anyway.  The Beowulf animated movie got rated PG-13 (just because it was animated), and that movie was gory as shit. 
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By jkz
    @DrPockets000 said:

" @Greyhound85: Perhaps you're right, but the fact that the boy got ripped apart definitely seemed M-worthy.  Although, the American ratings systems are terrible anyway.  The Beowulf animated movie got rated PG-13 (just because it was animated), and that movie was gory as shit.  "

That's because Americans are down with Violence, so long as there are no tits, whereas everywhere else it seems to function in reverse.  

An aversion to violence make far more sense to me, although the reactions to both violence and sex tend to seem to be overblown no matter what country it is, at least in my mind.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jukezypoo said:
    " @DrPockets000 said:

" @Greyhound85: Perhaps you're right, but the fact that the boy got ripped apart definitely seemed M-worthy.  Although, the American ratings systems are terrible anyway.  The Beowulf animated movie got rated PG-13 (just because it was animated), and that movie was gory as shit.  "

That's because Americans are down with Violence, so long as there are no tits.  Everywhere else it seems to function in reverse. That seems to make far more sense to me, although the reactions to both violence and sex tend to seem to be overblown no matter what country it is. "
    Hey don't say "because Americans". I'm not like that, don't generalize, it's mean D:
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jkz
    @EveretteScott said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " @DrPockets000 said:

That's because Americans are down with Violence, so long as there are no tits.  Everywhere else it seems to function in reverse. That seems to make far more sense to me, although the reactions to both violence and sex tend to seem to be overblown no matter what country it is. "
    Hey don't say "because Americans". I'm not like that, don't generalize, it's mean D: "
    *Ehem* 

I'm American too. I suppose I could have said American Culture is in its stead, but I feel that that statement applies to enough people that it's fair. The people who don't feel that way (such as yourself...and myself) know who they are.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrPockets000
    @jukezypoo: Excellent point.  Everyone just freaks out at any sort of "objectionable" content.
    Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Czarpyotr

I was shocked by the little kids hanging on nooses.  

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Milkman

Wow, really? I had just assumed it was rated M. That's actually fairly shocking...

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By DoctorWelch

I dont think there is any reason for it to be rated M. It is only a shape of a boy, for all we know he could be some kind of alien. Also he does get ripped apart pretty badly sometimes, but I still think a T rating is what it deserves. I was honestly thinking it was E but then realized after playing for a little that it couldnt be lol.

Kenshiro28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kenshiro28
    @DoctorWelch:  even if it was an alien, "gore and entrails everywhere!" would still raise a few eyebrows, I think.
    petitfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By petitfool

In my opinion, I just have to agree that it should have been rated M. Not to sound uptight about this (I think it's still one of the best xbox exclusives this year), but I absolutely abhor violence associated towards (and from) children. It was shocking enough to be gutted and decapitated from saw blades and see chunks of myself fly off and litter the ground from machine guns, but I also was stunned to see the malevolent children hang other children and shoot them with arrows. It was nasty; kind of what I picture an R-rated Lord of the Flies to look like.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Andorski

It's abstract art-style and overall cartoony nature definitely makes it pass for a T rated game.  It's like Looney Tunes.... Elmer Fudd shooting Daffy Duck in the face with a shotgun will always make kids and there parents laugh despite it actually being a gruesome act of violence.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DrPockets000
    @Andorski said:
    " It's abstract art-style and overall cartoony nature definitely makes it pass for a T rated game.  It's like Looney Tunes.... Elmer Fudd shooting Daffy Duck in the face with a shotgun will always make kids and there parents laugh despite it actually being a gruesome act of violence. "
    Yes, but Daffy Duck's head just looks a little charred.  It doesn't explode and shower brain matter everywhere.  Plus, Daffy is clearly alive after being shot.  The kid in Limbo dies.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.