Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mafia III

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 07, 2016

The third game in the open world crime series. Mafia III follows Vietnam veteran, mixed-race Lincoln Clay in 1960s New Bordeaux, when racism is blooming, as he aspires for revenge against those who have harmed his family.

Help! Can't rebind keys so it's unplayable for me

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey duders, I need much needed help/advice.

I have C.P. and my right hand has perfect dexterity while my left hand is pretty much balled up into a fist. I pretty much bind all games that use the WASD method to having the right mouse button act as the W key, or the walking key. While in the key binding settings, it says the forward movement it's bound to the mouse, it's not working for some reason.

When some games do this, I usually use Autohotkey to mimic the W key, but for some reason it's not hooking into the game executable. Is there an alternative program that I could possibly use?

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Howardian

I just did some testing for you. Assigning UP (forward) to right mouse, doesn't work. Assigning it to another keyboard key, works.

Assigning UP (forward) to W and then assigning one of my mouse's side buttons to mimic W, worked. So side buttons can be used. My mouse has a "side button" that sits right under the mouse wheel, it's half an inch away from right click, so that could work for you (a mouse with extra buttons located on the top of the mouse).

My Logitech software will not allow me to assign right mouse button as another button. The only option it gives me for right mouse is "switch with left mouse button," which is now pissing me off, this software has everything.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By void

I've only used Autohotkey for this, but haven't tried Mafia III yet (still downloading).

I looked around Reddit for some suggestions and found this thread. It's for remapping keyboard keys to other keyboard keys, but I would guess the programs mentioned supports rebinding to mouse as well? No idea, might be worth a shot.

Edit: Also this might be useful. Sorry, I'm just googling random suggestions. Not very helpful.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By m16mojo2

@howardian: Yeah, I've tried assigning it to W, and some other random keys as well. I got it to work once, but then the game promptly crashed lol. I do have a G500 though. I never even thought about trying to use that software, hmmm... I'll give that a shot and report back. I'm hoping they release another patch soon, seems like a lot of Win 10 users are having issues.

@void: Unfortunately I'm on Win 10, but I'll look into that reddit thread for sure.

Thank you both.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m16mojo2 said:

I do have a G500 though. I never even thought about trying to use that software

Dude what??? Download the G500 software right now! So many options for every button, DPI options where you can cycle between mouse speeds on the fly, and more.

Use the software to mimic W with one of the side buttons (or, if it works, the right click) and you're good to go!

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@howardian: Thanks for the help! I finally got it working.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m16mojo2 said:

@howardian: Thanks for the help! I finally got it working.

Sure thing. I'm curious, did you manage to assign the right click as W or any other key?

I have a Logitech G302 and the software won't let me assign the left and right clicks as anything else. I used to have two G500's before it btw.

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@howardian: No I wasn't. I had to use one of the side buttons as "W". I ran into the same issue as you.

I'm still puzzled by why AHK doesn't get picked up by the game. It's strange, to say the least.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m16mojo2: The game is rather shitty (but fun to play), rebinding the controls can be a mess, sometimes you rebind an action and it no longer works even if you change it back and you have to reset ALL the controls for it to work again.

I could not set punching to anything other than Q. Lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.