Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MAG

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

MAG, a.k.a "Massive Action Game" was a PS3 exclusive, online-only FPS game developed by SOCOM creators Zipper Interactive. The game's most notable feature was its 256-player Domination mode.

length of game life

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BoFooQ

I've been thinking of getting mag.  My big question now is how long will the game life be?  Seeing is how this is an online only game, if I can't find an online game the game itself is useless.  So how long will people be playing this a year?  If this was feb. 2011 will there still be enough people playing mag online that I'll be able to find a game and play if I want? 

I normally don't buy fps like this, I play on for awhile than move on to the next but the only way I'm going to get mag is if I buy it, so I have two options play it for around a year or play alot than trade it in while I can still get more than $20  for it.
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By frankxiv

there's still people playing socom and warhawk so i don't think you have anything to worry about there.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BoFooQ

but the size of the games could come back to kick them in the ass after months, casue it's wont be the matter of finding a few people for a game, you'll need 120. or 256
    Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sil3n7

Oh, you want me to get out my crystal ball? .... :\

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By frankxiv

not for every gametype, but i see what you're saying. i'm not sure the player count would ever get low enough for it to make a difference though.

in this case it's also one of those things where you're part of the problem and potential solution as well, because if enough people don't buy it because of fear over it dying, it will probably die out a lot sooner.

if it was me i'd buy it while i felt like playing it and enjoy it, not caring who else is gonna be playing a year later, because i might even get tired of it before that.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By stephengotlost

I think even when the player base dwindles down, there will still be enough to play the large matches since the servers aren't like Warhawk where there could be many people creating rooms and spreading the player base around. Instead, everyone will be paired together in the few large matches.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BoFooQ

anyone have any clue how the sales are actually going?  for $40 I would buy it now.  and I would hate it if I put it off for a week or two only to buy it at full price and have the game go down in price the next day.
    crashtanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By crashtanuki
    @bofooq: Price matching solves that if you have a Best Buy or other retailer that'll match prices if it drops up to 30 days after you buy it.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
    @bofooq said:
    " but the size of the games could come back to kick them in the ass after months, casue it's wont be the matter of finding a few people for a game, you'll need 120. or 256 "
    Right but that means you only need 300 people playing. At the moment there are like 30,000 playing. That means 1% (I think?) has to stick.

The game will generate a very loyal playerbase so I think you'll be fine.
    intarcouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By intarcouch

Personally, I can't wait til everything dies a bit down in the player base right now and we end up getting the people who are very loyal. This will lead to better games, and more action as people will finally know just what the fuck they are doing on each map.  

This game will be great in the future, especially if Zipper releases new DLC and Map Packs... etc.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By get2sammyb
    @intarcouch: This is one of the few games where I'm eager to hear about DLC "early" so to speak. I know it's a problem for the developer about when they announce stuff (so as to avoid the usual "Should have been on the disc" comments) but with MAG, I kinda wanna know everything they have planned and for when.

I reckon they'll do a three faction versus game (TDM) mode within the month for free. It seems like something they could really easily implement.

My mind would be blown if one of their major DLC updates was an entirely new faction, but at the moment I presume it'll be maps, weapons, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.