Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 25, 1993

A point-and-click adventure game that follows Bernard Bernoulli, Laverne, and Hoagie as they try to prevent Purple Tentacle from taking over the world.

Why not available on Gaming Sites for purchase? -ranting inside-

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0017840c01a
    deactivated-5f0017840c01a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So the creators at LucasArts and SCUMM have put out many games over the years. And upon looking at their older games such as Monkey Island and Star Wars, Sam and Max, they have re-released them on popular sites such as Steam, GOG, Gamersgate....etc.

Now I do realize console games are a tad different... as it is fairly easy to pick up an NES version of Maniac Mansion. But for me the game Day of the Tentacle has eluded me. Never played it, never even seen a copy except on Amazon and Ebay. As as for the vintage style, I do not believe my computer could handle the older requirements without downloading various programs to convert my computer -backwards-. So why have they NOT made a downloadable version of DOTT available? They wouldn't need to sit down and start planning, get rights, spend months in production... the game is already done just convert it to current PC requirements and release it to the public.. It would sell.

This rants streams from the fact that I just got a popular gaming mag. -Gameinformer- and they had an article featured in the first 5-6 pages of the top 5 classic games everyone needs to have played at some point in their life. 4 of the games featured were available on various download sites like Steam and GOG, yet #2: Day of the Tentacle.... was not and they suggest finding retailers who sell the original PC versions. I understand the author had no intent (or maybe he did) but I feel didn't, on selling these titles, but yhy put out an article in a popular gaming mag. and not have the game readily available for people to read and go "Hm, I should play that" and not be able to purchase it and play it immediately?

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Christoffer

I agree. It's a mystery. I can only believe it's an issue of rights. Lucas Arts (whom I think is holding the rights to it still) is holding on to it as hard as they can without even knowing what to do with it. Maybe a reboot, maybe a remake, maybe a re-release, maybe a sequel.

But I think they just need to release again. I would surely buy and play it... again.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Kidavenger

Lucas Arts optimized and re released two of the monkey island games a few years ago and they didn't sell all that well, so I wouldn't count on other games getting the same treatment.

Grim Fandango is a better game and it works on modern systems, I would look for that game in the discount racks at bestbuy/business depot, they probably still have it in there buried under "1001 stupid games" collections.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By UncleDisco

Yeah it's a shame. I do think however that this is one of the few times it would be "okay" to get the game through some other less legit means.

Also ScummVM basically makes old Lucas Art adventure games, run on modern systems with fairy ease.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By thesquarepear
    Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Christoffer said:

I agree. It's a mystery. I can only believe it's an issue of rights.

That has to be why they haven't yet. That said, it's pretty easy to emulate these games now. I'm not advocating piracy, but ScummVM will let you play the game pretty easily. Personally, I would buy a copy off ebay then "obtain" a rom so I could run it on my computer. I don't have a floppy drive around anymore so I wouldn't be able to use it.

Edit: My bad. It actually comes on CD so you don't need to pirate at all! :-) Just get the CD off eBay (that's what I'm doing) and you can run ScummVM on pretty much anything. I'm going to get it running on my Dreamcast because that just sounds crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0017840c01a
    deactivated-5f0017840c01a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@wewantsthering: Now granted I haven't checked out what SCUMMVM is yet, but is it simple to where I'd be able to run it taking I know little about how to run emulators and items as such?

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rockyhorrorgerri said:

@wewantsthering: Now granted I haven't checked out what SCUMMVM is yet, but is it simple to where I'd be able to run it taking I know little about how to run emulators and items as such?

It's seems simple to me, but I don't know your level of understanding when it comes to computers. I'm a bit of a tinkerer so this stuff is second nature to me at this point. From reading on the site, it sounds pretty simple. Download and install the version for your particular OS (everything from Win, Mac, Linux, PS2, and Dreamcast is supported) and once you launch it, it looks like it has you just have to point to the disk where the game is and launch it. You might need to tweak stuff in the settings on the program, but I'm sure there are sub-help pages dedicated to settings for each game. I'll try it out tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Here is the help page. I'll try it on Windows, Mac, PS2, and Dreamcast. lol Why not, right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.