Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Best sniper rifle?

dropbearGSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dropbearGSH

I played as an Infiltrator but did not take the Widow when I had the chance; I liked the Viper too much and I wanted to try the assault rifles.  The Viper has been serving me well even on my second playthrough on insanity, but did I miss out by not taking the Widow?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes.

/thread

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee
    @dropbearGSH said:
    "I played as an Infiltrator but did not take the Widow when I had the chance; I liked the Viper too much and I wanted to try the assault rifles.  The Viper has been serving me well even on my second playthrough on insanity, but did I miss out by not taking the Widow? "

Yah fool, yah damn fool!
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Garrus

It depends who you're fighting.

The Viper is weak but it has allot of ammo.

The Widow is VERY powerful, you just have to pick up ammo more frequently but that thing will turn a man's head inside out, or shoot a bullet through a Praetorian's head and out its ass.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

I still need to playthrough as a few different classes I want to try. I did mine as an Adept and my girlfriend went Engineer so I know what that is like too. Looking forward to Infiltrator and Vanguard when I get a chance next. I love sniping, and it looks so fun in ME2 but I have yet to even do any!

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Psych0Penguin
    @dropbearGSH: OH FUCK THAT KOALA IS PISSED!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me preface this post by saying the Widow is the most powerful weapon in the game, the Cain notwithstanding. Per shot, it does more damage than any other weapon. 

Now that that's out of the way, if you're playing Infiltrator, then you should be aware of the bonus damage you do while cloaked, and you ought to be aware of/wearing the visor that boosts headshot damage by an extra percentage. And, on top of that, you ought to be using a special ammo type through the game--I used Warp Ammo for its flexibility, but Armor Piercing is good as well. 

You can almost double the Widow's base damage with armor boosts, ammo types, and researched upgrades. 

Now--we clarified that the Widow is the most powerful weapon in the game before talking about boosts. What happens after all the boosts are applied? 

That is a rhetorical question.

dropbearGSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dropbearGSH

Well I definitely regret not taking it, but I would miss the Viper at least a little bit: that thing has become my bread and butter.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Garrus

My only complaint is that I don't get one of these. No its gotta be that way because forces unseen prevent me from using one.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane

Yes, the Widow is far and way the best sniper rifle.  Get the sniper rifle upgrades and it is pretty much unstoppable.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422

Damn this thread. I have other things I want to finish more right now than another ME playthrough, but you guys are making me want to make an Infiltrator like, ASAP now. :(

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Garrus
    @pause422: I played infiltrator first time playing the game and my god it was fun just having slowmo every time I scoped in, headshotting in slow motion watching people's heads explode...oh god its so awesome, I think Im gonna go on my infiltrator save right now...

lol seriously I would but my profile got some bug on it that reset everything.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By sixghost
    @Garrus said:
    " @pause422: I played infiltrator first time playing the game and my god it was fun just having slowmo every time I scoped in, headshotting in slow motion watching people's heads explode...oh god its so awesome, I think Im gonna go on my infiltrator save right now...  lol seriously I would but my profile got some bug on it that reset everything. "
    What slow motion? Isn't that only a soldier thing?
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DystopiaX

Didn't take the Widow. I figured upgrading the Infiltrator ability to its fullest and maxing weapon damage, plus the sniper rifle upgrades from Mordin's lab thing, plus your ammor ability is enough to kill most enemies anyway, so i'd rather take the Viper and slow-mo 2-3 headshots, which should almost do the deed. When out of slow-mo, the quick fire is fast enough that you can pump 6-7 shots into the enemy until they're dead. Took assault rifle training instead (but wish I took shotgun...)

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pause422
    @Garrus  I heard about the slomo on infiltrator but wasn't sure exactly how it works entirely, is it the cloak improvement? or the Class master when scoping or something?
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Garrus
    @pause422: Slowmo activates every time you scope in as long as you have a point in the infiltrator level I think, don't think its there by default, but yeah Tactical Cloak is a different ability to the slowmo granting ability completely.

It's useful for insanity too, if you do have a game in progress on that. Lets you run away when the husks keep on bumrushing.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By raiz265
    @sixghost: the soldier has a skill to activate slow motion whenever he likes 
    the infiltrator in the other hand gets a short time of slowmotion everytime he zooms in with his sniperrifle right out of the box (if i remember correctly)
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Semition

Slomo when scoping is from the passive skill for infiltrators.

I don't think cloak improves the slomo time.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

Oh awesome. I probably will go infiltrator first next playthrough for sure. Making it sound so fun.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Jimbo
    @pause422 said:
    " @Garrus  I heard about the slomo on infiltrator but wasn't sure exactly how it works entirely, is it the cloak improvement? or the Class master when scoping or something? "
    You get bullet time when you look down the scope.

The Widow (Space Barrett) is awesomest.  Personally, I think the Viper is even worse than the Mantis if you're playing as an Infiltrator.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimbo said:
    " @pause422 said:
    " @Garrus  I heard about the slomo on infiltrator but wasn't sure exactly how it works entirely, is it the cloak improvement? or the Class master when scoping or something? "
    You get bullet time when you look down the scope.  The Widow (Space Barrett) is awesomest.  Personally, I think the Viper is even worse than the Mantis if you're playing as an Infiltrator. "
    The Mantis is actually the second-highest rated Sniper Rifle, in terms of damage-per shot. I'd recommend it over the Viper or Incisor pretty easily. The conceit people generally fall for with the Viper/Incisor rifles is the idea that they have more ammo. Numerically, those weapons might have more ammo, but you have to remember that you're firing three-round bursts with each trigger pull, and those bursts are doing less damage than single shots from either the Mantis or the Widow. So in the time it's taken to kill a Collector or a Harbinger with a burst-sniper, you could have killed one and whittled down the defenses of another whilst using a single-shot.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Garrus

Well a single rank in Operative as an Infiltrator will get you 1.5 seconds of Slow Mo in a scoped weapon.

Generally this is what ranks in Operative do. I believe that you do need a rank in this to get slow mo, if you don't then it's worth upgrading this for it because anything under 1.5 seconds is pathetically small and can't really be considered slowmo I reckon.

Rank 1 in Operative

• Health: +5.00%
    • Weapon Damage: +3.00%
    • Power Recharge: -3.00%
    • Sniper Time Slowdown: 30.00%
    • Sniper Time Slowdown Duration: 1.50 seconds
    • Paragon/Renegade: +20.00%

And yeah as you can see, the ranks do affect HOW slow your enemy moves within the slowmo duration.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422

I always go with the most powerful snipers in games when I snipe, I don't care about ones that are semi auto or any of that crap, I want to take a single powerful ass shot at someones head, and have it feel damn good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pause422 said:
    " I always go with the most powerful snipers in games when I snipe, I don't care about ones that are semi auto or any of that crap, I want to take a single powerful ass shot at someones head, and have it feel damn good. "
    Haha. Then the Widow is your lady.
    dropbearGSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dropbearGSH
    @DystopiaX said:
    " Didn't take the Widow. I figured upgrading the Infiltrator ability to its fullest and maxing weapon damage, plus the sniper rifle upgrades from Mordin's lab thing, plus your ammor ability is enough to kill most enemies anyway, so i'd rather take the Viper and slow-mo 2-3 headshots, which should almost do the deed. When out of slow-mo, the quick fire is fast enough that you can pump 6-7 shots into the enemy until they're dead. Took assault rifle training instead (but wish I took shotgun...) "
    my feelings exactly, especially since they put out the free DLC shotgun.
    nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nethanel
    @dropbearGSH: The DLC shotgun sucks. 
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cornman89

I stuck with the Mantis until the Collector Ship, then took the sweet, sweet Widow.

I couldn't do shit with the Viper, so I never used it after the Thane mission.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By xyzygy

I would even go as far as to say the Widow is the best gun in the game. 

A Widow and Assassination cloak make a deadly, deadly combination. 

@nethanel said:

" @dropbearGSH: The DLC shotgun sucks.  "
    No way, I'm using the Eviscerator as a Vanguard now and it's the best one there is. Just charge them, and pump with it and they will fall easily. Plus it has a more concentrated area of fire. The only downside is it only has 3 shots to a clip, but it's not that big of a problem because it's already really powerful.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:
    " I would even go as far as to say the Widow is the best gun in the game. 

A Widow and Assassination cloak make a deadly, deadly combination. 

@nethanel said:
    " @dropbearGSH: The DLC shotgun sucks.  "
    No way, I'm using the Eviscerator as a Vanguard now and it's the best one there is. Just charge them, and pump with it and they will fall easily. Plus it has a more concentrated area of fire. The only downside is it only has 3 shots to a clip, but it's not that big of a problem because it's already really powerful. "
    For a long time I preferred the Scimitar to the Eviscerator, but the Scimitar's larger clip size doesn't make up the gap made by the Eviscerator's sheer power. Plus, if you're on your game, there really isn't a situation where you can't reload after three shots. Not unless you miss your target (which I know I am wont to do occasionally). 

The Eviscerator is the way to go for Vanguards. Bottom line.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I wish I picked the widow, that gun looks ownage. Honestly the assault rifle i've picked up isn't all that powerful at all or accurate. I am using the soilder class, however I wish I picked up the widow instead, I thought an assault rifle was more important, yet I only picked up trash. I heard you can use the widow with both infiltrator and soilder.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

I wish I picked the widow, that gun looks ownage. Honestly the assault rifle i've picked up isn't all that powerful at all or accurate. I am using the soilder class, however I wish I picked up the widow instead, I thought an assault rifle was more important, yet I only picked up trash. I heard you can use the widow with both infiltrator and soilder.

"
    Also, yes, the Soldier can use the Widow. Pairing the Widow with the Soldier's Adrenaline Rush is sort of like seeing what it's like to be God for a few seconds.
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By raidingkvatch

I'm doing my third playthrough as an infiltrator, don't know how you can deal with the Viper's pea-shooteryness, but then my strategy is normally to cloak and shoot people in the head, using my squad's tech and biotic to whittle down shields and armour powers, so I rarely need more than one shot.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Brians

60 shot by far not the one that requires reloading after every hit though it may be more powerful.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DystopiaX
    @dropbearGSH said:
    " @DystopiaX said:
    " Didn't take the Widow. I figured upgrading the Infiltrator ability to its fullest and maxing weapon damage, plus the sniper rifle upgrades from Mordin's lab thing, plus your ammor ability is enough to kill most enemies anyway, so i'd rather take the Viper and slow-mo 2-3 headshots, which should almost do the deed. When out of slow-mo, the quick fire is fast enough that you can pump 6-7 shots into the enemy until they're dead. Took assault rifle training instead (but wish I took shotgun...) "
    my feelings exactly, especially since they put out the free DLC shotgun. "
    just started my first playthrough today, quit just before talking to the Illusive Man for the first time. Will check this out. 
    I hated the singularity projector though, so DLC weapons don't always equal good (I ended up using the collector particle beam/the Cain for most of the game)
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Marz

Widowmaker rips through Scion armor ultra quick.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SonicBoyster

The Widow also gets 2 ammo per ammo pickup as opposed to the Mantis's one ammo per pickup, and maxes out at 13 instead of 10.  It's just all around better.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jmrwacko
    @sixghost said:
    " @Garrus said:
    " @pause422: I played infiltrator first time playing the game and my god it was fun just having slowmo every time I scoped in, headshotting in slow motion watching people's heads explode...oh god its so awesome, I think Im gonna go on my infiltrator save right now...  lol seriously I would but my profile got some bug on it that reset everything. "
    What slow motion? Isn't that only a soldier thing? "
    Infiltrators get a slow mo passive while scoped. Not as slow as adrenaline rush, but pretty good.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jmrwacko
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    "

"
    I don't know what you're talking about, but the unlockable assault rifle is damn powerful. I'd go with the assault rifle for soldier, sniper rifle for infiltrator. But really, that's common sense anyway.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @jmrwacko: My point is, the gun with the three shot burst fire seems to work way better than this gun for me, you know that other gun i'm talking about. The other one that's unlockable is too inaccurate to kill anyone, it almost feels gimped compared to the burst fire gun, that's why I recommend picking up the widow because it's one shot, one kill practically.
    dropbearGSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dropbearGSH
    @raidingkvatch: I am sort of ignoring cloak, only using it as a last resort escape tool.  I basically pop out of cover , fire incinerate at the most powerful enemy (if appropriate) and then shoot an entire Viper magazine at its head, and then mop the rest up.  Also, Cryo ammo makes the Viper great for crowd control.
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By raidingkvatch
    @dropbearGSH: Ah, you have basically the opposite approach with Infiltrator to me, I rarely use Cryo ammo as my intention is to kill with the 1st shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dropbearGSH said:
    " @raidingkvatch: I am sort of ignoring cloak, only using it as a last resort escape tool.  I basically pop out of cover , fire incinerate at the most powerful enemy (if appropriate) and then shoot an entire Viper magazine at its head, and then mop the rest up.  Also, Cryo ammo makes the Viper great for crowd control. "
    Squad Cryo is an excellent skill to have on Insanity for this very reason.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Skytylz

i'm using soldier and i assume you get this on the collectors ship?  
    Probably need it for my insanity playthrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Skytylz said:
    " i'm using soldier and i assume you get this on the collectors ship?   Probably need it for my insanity playthrough "
    Yeah. Right after you find the dead Collector and Shepard investigates the pile of weapons nearby. If you're a Soldier or an Infiltrator you can snag the Widow.
    Avatar image for pnut_buttr_panda
    PNut_Buttr_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PNut_Buttr_Panda

if your an infiltrator or use the sniper rifles a lot pick it up when you get the chance. otherwise youll miss out. if you a soldier get the assault rifle. i cant remember what else there was to pick up tho

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Bummer.  I accidentally chose the Assault Rifle & didn't realize that it was a permanent choice.  Well maybe on the 3rd play through for my Infiltrator, I'll choose the Widow proper.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FunExplosions

I fucking hated the Viper. Next playthrough I start, I'm goin' with the Widow.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    " Bummer.  I accidentally chose the Assault Rifle & didn't realize that it was a permanent choice.  Well maybe on the 3rd play through for my Infiltrator, I'll choose the Widow proper. "
    Same, I'll be adding that bad boy to my arsenal on a New Game + too.
    dropbearGSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dropbearGSH
    @UnsolvedParadox: I was told that whatever choice you made on the first playthrough you are stuck with for any subsequent playthroughs, but I have not reached the collector ship on my second playthrough so I cannot confirm this.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Andorski
    @dropbearGSH said:
    " @UnsolvedParadox: I was told that whatever choice you made on the first playthrough you are stuck with for any subsequent playthroughs, but I have not reached the collector ship on my second playthrough so I cannot confirm this. "
    I can confirm this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.