Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Did I mess up the chronology?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Morrow

Hey guys :)

So, when playing a game that involves main and side quests, I try to do all side quests first and save the main quests for later. I did so in the Elder Srolls franchise as well as in the Fallout games. I wanted to do the same thing in Mass Effect 2 (I went blindly into the game), but somehow the main missions suddenly start when I try doing other quests, like N7 missions or loyality missions.

The only main quest left is the suicide mission, but I still have to recruit a member and do four loyality missions, but my whole Normandy crew is gone and I feel like on a ghost ship... :(

So my question is what exactly triggers the main missions out of nowhere and how can I avoid this, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

Do everything before you retrieve the Reaper IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) else you'll suffer definite casualties when you begin the Suicide Mission, which should also be started once you're offered the chance to do it. You will have room for one more quest, however, after getting the IFF which is typically reserved for someone's particular loyalty quest, which should be the last quest.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Once you go to get the Reaper IFF, that leads directly into the end of the game and putting it off has some pretty dire consequences.

Do everything before going for the IFF.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

The event that triggers the ending of the game (the part you have to do immediately or else your crew ends up as goo) is recovering the Reaper IFF, which is the only main quest event (I believe?) that isn't triggered automatically; you have to start it yourself. If you just leave that mission hanging and insist on continuing to gain followers/loyalty, then it works out that you have exactly enough time to get everyone loyal before the Collectors make off with your crew, ending with Legion's loyalty mission.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Morrow

@WinterSnowblind:

I see, but that's what I wanted to do, and then the Reaper IFF mission triggered when I wanted to go to a planet. Oh well. I guess I gotta try to do things better in the NG+.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Morrow

@AndrewB: Oh, so there is nothing I can do about the automatic start of the main missions? What a bummer...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

@Morrow said:

@AndrewB: Oh, so there is nothing I can do about the automatic start of the main missions? What a bummer...

Everything but the Reaper IFF, but that's the one you can hold off on and use that time to complete everything else before triggering the end of the game. Just don't go to the Derelict Reaper until you're done with everything you can do (which would be everything but recruiting Legion and doing his loyalty mission).

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Morrow

@AndrewB: I see... so I guess I must've started the Reaper IFF accidentally. Well, I expected I had to do at least another run anyway ._.

Thanks for the clarification!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ShaggE

Yep.

*actually reads post*

Yep.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Morrow

@rjayb89: Argh. Do you think I should just start anew or finish the game as it is and then do a New Game+?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rjayb89

@Morrow: To be honest, I think there is merit in having a less than perfect save going into Mass Effect 3, if you're going to bother with that game at least. Makes it more personal and heartfelt when things go wrong. But, I know I didn't do that, having only suffered major and unexpected loss in my first playthrough (in each game) where in subsequent playthroughs it was controlled.

Whatever makes you happy is my suggestion. But if messing up hangs over your head like it does to me in these games, you probably should finish it, then new game plus it and do everything you wanted.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Morrow

@rjayb89:

Well, I guess I am like you then. It seriously bothered me that I screwed up, so yesterday I started a new game. I'm now trying to do as many side-missions and stuff before advancing the main story. Am I right that the dossier the professor (recruiting Mordin on Omega) triggers other main missions? If so, I'll do that one when I run out of other quests, and not first as suggested by Miranda and EDI.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By NTM

Looks like you'll either have a few character die off this time, or you'll have Kelly Chambers die. You messed up, and I don't know how. Once you get the loyalty missions, do them.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Morrow

@NTM: I figured out what I did wrong, I accidentally started the Reaper IFF mission without realizing that after completing it, I only have time for one other mission (Legions loyality mission) before the Collectors raid my crew. So basically this time, I have to do everything before getting the Reaper IFF.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rjayb89

@Morrow: While, yes, they do suggest you grab him first, it is for good reason and that's because he unlocks the upgrade panel in the science lab, which he unlocks access to. Personally, I think you should do whatever you want until you absolutely have to retrieve the Reaper IFF, which isn't a forced mission like the ones you're probably thinking of right now (Horizon, Collector Ship, etc.). There aren't any repercussions to the order you tackle missions, it's just a matter of variety in squad members.

I know I questioned how I played the game once I realized I should have chosen to go into the suicide mission rather than wait, but that was the only time in the game I regretted a decision I made. Others it was a matter of inconvenience and surprise with no penalty.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Morrow

@rjayb89: That's my plan, I'll play everything at a slower pace now and enjoy it. I was taking my time when I first started playing, but after a few hours I was very curious and just wanted to finish things to go to the next event. Now that I already know most of the quests, I'll prioritize loyalty missions and do all side-quests as soon as they're available :)

Thanks for your answers!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.