Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 Ending/ME3 ?

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spacetrucking

Was anyone else surprised when Casey Hudson said that you can end up dead (proper dead) at the end of Mass Effect 2 ? I always thought BioWare were setting up the Mass Effect trilogy as Shepard's story but it looks like depending on your choices - ME2 can be a story dead-end for your character. While this spoiler bit of PR certainly did it's job of drumming up my excitement for this game, I'm somewhat worried where BioWare is headed with the series. I don't want this to be like Modern Warfare where your playable character dies on an almost constant basis.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

I like the idea.  The way Casey Hudson said in the interview, "We wouldn't be serious about a suicide mission if your character couldn't have a permanent death" really had me into what they are doing with the entire series.  A lot of WRPG fans keep clamoring for choices, rewards, and consequences in their games, and it's as if Bioware listened to the requests and went, "Here it is... the ultimate consequence.  Just be careful for what you wish for."

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By General_D23

If you die at the end of ME2, that is the end of the story for that character. You can't import that playthrough into ME3
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By TheKidNixon

This isn't really new news; this was discussed at length during the E3 preview showings. Back then, Hudson and others explained that if Shepard was dead, then the information would not be transferable to the eventual ME3. So the only way that you can again move your information over is for Shepard to make it to the end. My suspicion is, though, that you'll get pretty clear signs if s/he's not going to survive. Less likely is knowing if you're whole party is going to survive.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By Geno

I'm really curious as to how they would continue the story without Shepard. Who would fill his shoes? Or would it be Final Fantasy VI style with no distinct main character?
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Oh man...decisions decisions.  Then again if Shepard dies, there are more characters. Maybe ME3 could be this crazy retaliation because of your death or something? Guess we will just have to wait and see!

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Andorski
    @General_D23 said:
    " If you die at the end of ME2, that is the end of the story for that character. You can't import that playthrough into ME3 "
    Greg Zeschuk from Bioware said that you will still import your decisions in ME3 even when your character dies on Kotaku's last podcast.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

Who would you play then if you die at the end of ME2? 

Or do they just make you start a new game with Shepard anyway?  

But if you don't import your file, then they'll just do that thing they talked about when you make the choices yourself when they recap it. Won't that just happen in ME3 as well, thus negating the whole point of dying? 

I hope if you die in ME2 you can play ME3 as Wrex, who's with me?

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By General_D23
    @Andorski said:
    " @General_D23 said:
    " If you die at the end of ME2, that is the end of the story for that character. You can't import that playthrough into ME3 "
    Greg Zeschuk from Bioware said that you will still import your decisions in ME3 even when your character dies on Kotaku's last podcast. "

Really? Casey and most of the other devs have said that you cannot contiue with that save ino ME3. I'll go listen to the podcast.
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spacetrucking
    @General_D23 said:
    " @Andorski said:
    " @General_D23 said:
    Greg Zeschuk from Bioware said that you will still import your decisions in ME3 even when your character dies on Kotaku's last podcast. "
    Really? Casey and most of the other devs have said that you cannot contiue with that save ino ME3. I'll go listen to the podcast. "
    Either way, how are they going to design the ME3 storyline around this decision ? It's easy if Shepard survives in your save file. But if he/she doesn't, I sure hope they don't plan to present us with some kind of Cerberus-made-Shepard-clone in ME3 because that would be the biggest copout I can imagine.

@XII_Sniper: I'll play as Wrex! And fly around the galaxy screaming SHEPARD!!! at every person I see.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Dany

His suicide mission is a story related event. If you shepard dies story wise then you cannot import that ending to ME3, but you can try again and play me2 again with that shepard if you really want to bring them over to the third game.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By spacetrucking
    @Dany said:
    " His suicide mission is a story related event. If you shepard dies story wise then you cannot import that ending to ME3, but you can try again and play me2 again with that shepard if you really want to bring them over to the third game. "
    Interesting you said that. I was thinking along the same lines until I saw this interview with Greg. Around 1:40 or so he starts talking about ME 3 and how a lot of decisions from ME1 and ME2 will carry over to the last game. The way he describes it, I think it's a certainty that Shepard and his remaining crew members will make a comeback in the last game, though I've no idea how they will manage it if you die in ME2. Resurrection ? Clone ? Time Travel ?!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.