Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

Playing Mass Effect 2 offline.

benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By benitobb

I have my 360 at school where I don't get an internet connection for it, but I purposely brought my 360 with me for the first time in 4 years just to play Mass Effect 2.  Even if I bring my 360 home and download the Cerberus Network stuff and free day one dlc, would I still be able to use it without being connected?  If not I don't know if I should do without the extra content or just play it at home on the weekends whenever I go home.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By AndrewB

I think all of that stuff is meant to directly intergrate you into their internet content. I don't think there would be a reason to visit it if you didn't have an internet connection. I'm sure that normal DLC will, however, be available to play offline.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

There is no reason why you should have to be online to play DLC you have already downloaded that is on your hard drive.. All that would do is piss a lot of people off.

benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By benitobb

Yeah, I know the Cerberus stuff is only accessable through an internet connection, so I guess the weekend after the game comes out I could hook my 360 up to Live then check that stuff out and download any new content then I could play it offline.  I know dlc can be played offline, but for some reason I remeber Oblivion's dlc packs not loading when I wasn't connected, and I always have my 360 online so I just wasn't sure.
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By FireBurger
    @benitobb: I think that with Oblivion, something like Shivering Isles wouldn't show up if you were playing on a different profile, but would still show up for the LIVE profile you downloaded it with, whether online or not.
    Nobbyworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Nobbyworks

It's not just that you can't access the DLC when you're offline. Any saved game that uses the DLC cannot be loaded if you're offline.

So let's say you downloaded Zaeed, and he's in your party. It's a Sunday. You decide to spend your day off playing ME2. For whatever reason, you have no internet. You could have Mass Effect on a laptop on vacation, with no wifi access. Or maybe your cable/dsl provider has an outage. If for any reason you don't have internet access you can't even load your saved game.

Robiin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Robiin
    @Nobbyworks said:
    " It's not just that you can't access the DLC when you're offline. Any saved game that uses the DLC cannot be loaded if you're offline.

So let's say you downloaded Zaeed, and he's in your party. It's a Sunday. You decide to spend your day off playing ME2. For whatever reason, you have no internet. You could have Mass Effect on a laptop on vacation, with no wifi access. Or maybe your cable/dsl provider has an outage. If for any reason you don't have internet access you can't even load your saved game. "
    I could, did it this morning. Zaeed was still in the place he ususally is. Even started up his loyalty mission.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benitobb said:
    " Yeah, I know the Cerberus stuff is only accessable through an internet connection, so I guess the weekend after the game comes out I could hook my 360 up to Live then check that stuff out and download any new content then I could play it offline.  I know dlc can be played offline, but for some reason I remeber Oblivion's dlc packs not loading when I wasn't connected, and I always have my 360 online so I just wasn't sure. "
    I'm pretty sure Oblivion had some sort of clause in the DLC agreement that prevented the content from being accessed whilst offline. There was a stretch a few years back where I had to do without internet, and not having DLC that I'd paid for was infuriating. 

But, no, the Mass Effect stuff doesn't work like Oblivion. You should be fine if you've already downloaded the stuff.
    Nobbyworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nobbyworks
    @Robiin said:

" @Nobbyworks said:

" It's not just that you can't access the DLC when you're offline. Any saved game that uses the DLC cannot be loaded if you're offline.

So let's say you downloaded Zaeed, and he's in your party. It's a Sunday. You decide to spend your day off playing ME2. For whatever reason, you have no internet. You could have Mass Effect on a laptop on vacation, with no wifi access. Or maybe your cable/dsl provider has an outage. If for any reason you don't have internet access you can't even load your saved game. "

I could, did it this morning. Zaeed was still in the place he ususally is. Even started up his loyalty mission. "

I tried it yesterday: disabled my internet connection, booted up Mass Effect, and couldn't access my saved game. It didn't even appear on the load screen. 
    fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By fillmoejoe

Yeah this sucks, can't even load my game.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Demyx
    @Nobbyworks said:

No, sorry. I turned off my wireless and even though Cerberus wasn't up, I could still load up a game.
    Nobbyworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nobbyworks
    @Demyx said:
    " @Nobbyworks said:

No, sorry. I turned off my wireless and even though Cerberus wasn't up, I could still load up a game. "
    What platform are you on?

Maybe this is a XBox vs. PC thing? I'm playing it on PC through Steam.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Jayzilla

why not just make the 3rd one a co-op 4 player game? your friends can jump into your game with their characters and so on? we have MMO's so why not this? I would love to play a single player RPG like this with friends. Would be a lot more fun to me than an MMO for sure.

Nobbyworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nobbyworks
    @Demyx said:

" @Nobbyworks said:

No, sorry. I turned off my wireless and even though Cerberus wasn't up, I could still load up a game. "
    When I boot up the game it says something to the effect of "unable to connect to the cerberus network. The following content could not be loaded: Zaeed, Normandy Crash Site"

When I try to load my game it says: "The selected save cannot be loaded. The following downloaded content is missing: Normandy Crash Site, Zaeed."

For people who CAN load their saves... 1) Are you on XBox or PC, and 2) Are you disabling internet before you boot up the game?
    myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By myke_tuna
    @Jayzilla: Breaks the story. BioWare seems to really love their stories, so I don't think they'd want to jeopardize that by having 4 Shepards chilling with each other. A Mass Effect MMO though where you go off in 4-person squads instead of 20-man raids would be cool. But ME3, no, I doubt it.
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Jayzilla said:
    " why not just make the 3rd one a co-op 4 player game? your friends can jump into your game with their characters and so on? we have MMO's so why not this? I would love to play a single player RPG like this with friends. Would be a lot more fun to me than an MMO for sure. "
    Three player co-op makes more sense for Mass Effect 3 since you could have one person play as Shepard and two others play as his squadmates.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Demyx
    @Nobbyworks said:
    " @Demyx said:

" @Nobbyworks said:

When I boot up the game it says something to the effect of "unable to connect to the cerberus network. The following content could not be loaded: Zaeed, Normandy Crash Site"  When I try to load my game it says: "The selected save cannot be loaded. The following downloaded content is missing: Normandy Crash Site, Zaeed."  For people who CAN load their saves... 1) Are you on XBox or PC, and 2) Are you disabling internet before you boot up the game? "
    Was steam running offline? That might've been it. I have the PC version through steam as well. I got that the network was unable to connect, but everything else loaded fine. I manually switched off my wireless.
    Nobbyworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nobbyworks
    @Demyx said:

" @Nobbyworks said:

" @Demyx said:

" @Nobbyworks said:

When I boot up the game it says something to the effect of "unable to connect to the cerberus network. The following content could not be loaded: Zaeed, Normandy Crash Site"  When I try to load my game it says: "The selected save cannot be loaded. The following downloaded content is missing: Normandy Crash Site, Zaeed."  For people who CAN load their saves... 1) Are you on XBox or PC, and 2) Are you disabling internet before you boot up the game? "
    Was steam running offline? That might've been it. I have the PC version through steam as well. I got that the network was unable to connect, but everything else loaded fine. I manually switched off my wireless. "
    I tried it online and offline with steam. I also tried turning off "automatically log in to ea servers." Still doesn't work. Maybe it's an XP thing?
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Teran
    @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " There is no reason why you should have to be online to play DLC you have already downloaded that is on your hard drive.. All that would do is piss a lot of people off. "
    The cerberus network is not dlc, it is a vehicle by which more dlc will be delivered.

As far as I know I don't have to be online to access my dlc but then it would actually be more inconvenient for me to disconnect myself from the net to find out.  If you haven't already, make sure your ea/bioware account is connected to your psn/xbl user names.
    Nobbyworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nobbyworks
    @Teran said:
    " @Vito_Raliffe said:
    " There is no reason why you should have to be online to play DLC you have already downloaded that is on your hard drive.. All that would do is piss a lot of people off. "
    The cerberus network is not dlc, it is a vehicle by which more dlc will be delivered.  As far as I know I don't have to be online to access my dlc but then it would actually be more inconvenient for me to disconnect myself from the net to find out.  If you haven't already, make sure your ea/bioware account is connected to your psn/xbl user names. "
    It's not just a matter of being online to access the dlc, you have to be online to access any saved game that has dlc info, which is any saved game in Mass Effect 2. At least this is the case for a lot of people, including myself.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Teran said:
    " @Vito_Raliffe said:
    The cerberus network is not dlc, it is a vehicle by which more dlc will be delivered.  As far as I know I don't have to be online to access my dlc but then it would actually be more inconvenient for me to disconnect myself from the net to find out.  If you haven't already, make sure your ea/bioware account is connected to your psn/xbl user names. "
    Yes, I know. I wasn't referring to the Cerberus Network, but the content that you download from it.
    applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By applet0n
    @Nobbyworks: I was playing offline on my 360 and everything worked out fine, Zaeed was still there and everything. I was even able to use my pre-order weapons.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind

My brother has been playing the game offline (because we don't have the most stable internet connection, and being disconected while playing kicks you back to the main menu)
    And he's using the Zaeed and Normandy DLC along with ALL of the pre-order bonus items, so I don't believe the information here is true.

However, if you download content on another Xbox, even with your own HDD the liscence will be saved to that Xbox.  So if you take it back to your own console, the DLC will need to be verified online before you're able to use it, which is what I assume is causing the problems here.  The only way to fix this, is to transfer the liscences to your other Xbox, however they will only let you do that a few times, you can't just keep transfering them back and forth.

But if it helps, none of the DLC is really necessary.  You wouldn't be missing much by not having it.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Kazona
    @Nobbyworks:

Once you've downloaded the DLC it works just fine offline. I've played several times without being connected, and had no problems.
    Nobbyworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nobbyworks
    @Kazona said:
    " @Nobbyworks:  Once you've downloaded the DLC it works just fine offline. I've played several times without being connected, and had no problems. "
    I've been saying all along that not everyone is having this problem. But plenty are. Including myself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.