Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

whoever designed horizon on insanity

dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By dudeitsdon

should be shot. good god, at least give us a quick.save in between waves.

JiuJitsuka85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JiuJitsuka85

It was a nice little challenge indeed.
    And by challenge I mean torture.
    And by torture I mean fucking apeshit madness that tosses out instadeaths like it's nothing!

But I beat it, eventually. I feel your pain.

dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dudeitsdon

i just beat it like 20 minutes ago. the thing that bugs me most about insanity aren't the shields or the armor or whatever--it's the fact that at that difficulty level, it really points out the flaws in your allies' a.i.

i can't believe how many rounds miranda and the professor spend firing into a wall because they're crouched but refuse to "stick" to the cover. or worse, getting out of cover to stand in the middle of the battlefield. it's even more infuriating when all the computer has to do is send one regular mob over and your whole squad gets torn to pieces.

serapheim_0023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By serapheim_0023

Yes I was not a fan of ally's AI.  It seemed the game would decide to go into a Rambo mode where for some reason your allies would think they are Rambo and run out into the middle of a swarm of enemies with nothing but their junky pistol (Miranda you know I'm looking at you stop hiding!) and then continue on to being absolutely annihilated.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By ptys
    @dudeitsdon: It's the same on Hardcore. So many times having to dig myself out of a tight situation by myself... incredibly satisfying to do so though!
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Vorbis

I didn't have much trouble on Horizon, it was the flying platforms on the collector ship that almost cost me a controller. AI just kept getting oneshot by the Scion no matter where they stood.

dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dudeitsdon

ugh, i'm not looking forward to that part. what's the best way to defeat the scions?

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Vorbis

Cloaked > Widow Sniper > Shreddar Ammo > Headshot.  

Can kill them in 3-4 shots, main problem is not dying to the harbinger while doing so. I quickly killed the 3 normal collectors, then switched to the Scion while my AI kept the harbinger busy. After the 1st platform it's not so tough as the next Scion can't hit you.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Jadeskye

yeah it's tough, the worst part of horizon on insanity is the preatorian. It's the first part of that game that is actually Insane. 

But there are more to look forward to! lol. 

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    @jadeskye said:
    " yeah it's tough, the worst part of horizon on insanity is the preatorian. It's the first part of that game that is actually Insane. 

But there are more to look forward to! lol. 

"
    This all sounds incredibly frustrating, is it hard enough that it'll negatively affect my memories of the game?
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Griddler

Glad I'm not playing it on Insanity, that part on Horizon is the only place I've died more than once.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jadeskye

I don't know your skill level. For myself, no, i've not had any negative impacts, quite the opposite, i love a challenge. 

But without tooting my own horn i'm pretty good at shooters. It depends on your skill level. 

I think your next difficult moment will be  at the end of the level when you recruit Tali.

I'd say if you can beat that part without dying more then 3 or 4 times, you'll probably be good to go.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jmrwacko
    @dudeitsdon said:

" should be shot. good god, at least give us a quick.save in between waves. "

I didn't find Horizon very hard on hardcore mode. in fact, it was easier the second time than when I first played it on normal mode, because I'm better at the game now.
    Then again, I can't speak for insanity mode. Are hardcore and insanity modes really that different in difficulty?
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By GunstarRed

The scion part is pretty easy, I wrote a way to do it in one of the other insanity threads, you can bypass the whole entire Husk rush at the beginning (it does take a while though)... the rest of it is very easy because the harbingers will not rush you unless they are pretty close so you can pick them off from a distance.  

edit... (what i wrote)

Discovered something on Horizon that will probably help a ton of people out in the final section where it's an absolute pain to kill the two scions and the husk-rush the second you open the big door do not go into the open area and look up the back area where you can see the two scions that are going to cause you a ton of pain whilst a million husks try to attack you.... you can kill them without activating them using biotics. It doesnt matter if the circular target marker comes up, as long as you are targetting the humpback section of the one on the right or the pointy claw of the one on the left then your biotics/concussive shot/whatever will hit them everytime... it may take a while but the second the second scion is dead the next part of the mission automatically kicks in and you dont have to fight the huge rush of husks at the beginning...theres maybe 6 more but using the targetting from a distance thing makes the rest of the fight hugely easy as long as at the middle point you shift to the other end.      
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Toxin066
    @dudeitsdon: So, are you asking for advice or just ranting?

I agree that there should have been a save every 30% on the defense of the tower thing. Thank goodness it wasn't a serious defense mission where the tower had an HP bar or something.

While challenging, the fight isn't impossible. Move your team up to the left where the med kit is, stay there and let them pick off the shields. Snipe and take out the dudes. Use heavy ammo on the Super Saiyan collectors if they get close.
    dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dudeitsdon
    @Toxin066: i guess it was a little of both, haha. i also used that position with the med kit to bunker down my team, but it was just very frustrating when a harbinger would rush you and there's basically nothing you can do to stop it, or when your teammates aren't  shooting anything behind cover sometimes (do you have to tell them to explicitly attack an enemy on insanity?) i actually thought the praetorian was the easiest part of that whole fight, since he just focuses on you and you can kite him around a truck, haha.

i don't know, i know insanity is supposed to be hard, but i feel like its just more of a frustrating patience game rather than a challenge, especially with the limitations of your squad a.i. or lack of checkpoints in some areas. i never usually play above the "hard" setting in games, but i really wanted to get the s-rank in this, because if i don't get it now, i know i'd never get it.

i guess my question is, am i totally just inexperienced with the "hardest" difficulty in games? is this experience typical of what you'd find in the respective settings of other games?

@marioncobretti: yeah, that's what i figured out. i was able to kill one scion early on by using up all my ammo on him from a distance, and just circled the other one while the husks were chasing me. i'm not looking forward to scions later on in the game, though--any tips on those guys? vorbis suggested cloaking and sniping, but i'm adept and can do neither :(
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By KowalskiManDown

The thought of Insanity scares me. I've yet to try it.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By haggis

I'm a wimp. I won't play on Insanity. I have a low tolerance for frustration in games.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Garrus

No, this person should be locked away in a basement and left to die.

The person who designed Grunt's mission on Insanity should be shot in the head.

The person who designed the mission where you save the crates on insanity should be hanged.

dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dudeitsdon
    @Garrus said:
    " No, this person should be locked away in a basement and left to die.  The person who designed Grunt's mission on Insanity should be shot in the head.  The person who designed the mission where you save the crates on insanity should be hanged. "
    Oh God, I'm not even planning on doing the loyalty missions on Insanity--I'm just trying to do a quick run-through just for the achievement. Then I can put this game behind me and finish Dragon Age (which will be really hard to get back into after this game) and other games on my to-do list...which date back far enough to include Suikoden II and III, haha.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Garrus
    @dudeitsdon: Yeah, I completed Grunt's mission on insanity yesterday, I gave up on mass effect 2 for the rest of the day after that.
    Honestly, it was just Krogan Beserker one after the other, constant respawns unless you moved forward to where there was less cover. And then it was the same killing the blue suns merc with her mech. 

Grunt's loyalty mission? I don't think I'll even try without sitting in a freezer to help me chill out from the stress of even attempting to complete it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6091fd83bf847
    deactivated-6091fd83bf847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might try an insanity run soon. With my short fuse when it comes to video games, though, I don't know if that's a good idea. To get the Geth assault rifle, I managed to get through Tali's recruitment mission on hardcore without dying at all, and that's one of the harder missions in the game.

dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dudeitsdon
    @Garrus:  Ahhhh, you meant his recruitment mission. I thought you were talking about his loyalty mission (the thought of having to fight a thresher maw makes me want to cry). Yeah, that definitely was a pain. I just freaking saved my heavy weapon ammo to blow through their armor and then just keep using Singularity on them to keep them out of the fight. I don't know how people die less than 20 times through insanity--I think I died that many times (probably a lot, lot more) in just the first half of the game.

I shudder at the thought of the Derelict Ship. I might just have to play that in 15 minute chunks to get through the frustration.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Garrus
    @dudeitsdon: Yeah heh I thought I should have edited the post, was kinda vague, but yeah the derelict ship, my god lol.

And yeah I think dying less than 20 times is an exaggeration, it sounds to me, when people say that, that its just one of them numbers where it's "do-able" but just hasn't really been done. Well, maybe on a new game plus straight after at level 30 maybe I guess people just shield up.
    dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dudeitsdon
    @Garrus: I hear that New Game+ is actually much more difficult on insanity because the enemies are scaled to your level...except you get none of the upgrades. That's my current situation right now, and it's a real bummer. As I'm upgrading my equipment, I do notice a large difference in survivability, though.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Luke

I only died once at the final part of Horizon on Insanity... then I said, "Oh, I guess I need to just be more mobile and pay attention." 

I think Grunt's Recruitment Mission or Garrus' were tougher than the final part of Horizon.  You really have to haul ass and kill shit quick on these kinda parts.  Charging enemies like Krogan/Husks are a bitch on Insanity. 

Maybe it just comes-down to the class vs. situation.  I started playing a Soldier on Insanity and then started-over and switched to an Infiltrator.  I feel like Infiltrator is the way to go. 

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Garrus
    @dudeitsdon: Oh man, lol, just gotta get level 30 as quickly as possible by small crappy sidequests involving bullying people then :P
    ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I don't see why people have so much trouble with insanity. I played a 20 hour game as an infiltrator and beat it just fine. Just be wise in picking people that can tear down shields and armor quickly(overload+warp).

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Teran
    @dudeitsdon said:
    " i just beat it like 20 minutes ago. the thing that bugs me most about insanity aren't the shields or the armor or whatever--it's the fact that at that difficulty level, it really points out the flaws in your allies' a.i.  i can't believe how many rounds miranda and the professor spend firing into a wall because they're crouched but refuse to "stick" to the cover. or worse, getting out of cover to stand in the middle of the battlefield. it's even more infuriating when all the computer has to do is send one regular mob over and your whole squad gets torn to pieces. "

The AI isn't very good I agree but you do have the ability to give them orders.  Getting used to doing this should help alleviate some stress. 

I think you should savor the challenge though.  Insanity is easy to get through as an infiltrator or soldier, hopefully you're running one of these if you just want to get it done. 

Dragon Age is a great game, better in many ways than ME2 (though I believe me2 is the superior game) but there is no challenge.  Even on Dragon Age's highest difficulty it is pathetically easy.  This doesn't take away from the game too much if you avoid min/maxing your team but I wish the dragon age hardest difficulty was as hard as me2's insanity.
    Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Moridin

The best tip I can give for Horizon on Insanity is to stay mobile, as Luke said above. 

You can take cover during the Collector waves, but when the Scions and Husks come to play you need to move. Kite the Husks around and stay away from the Scions until all the melee enemies are dead. Then deal with the big guys. The only attack the Scions have is Shockwave. You don't even need to be in cover when fighting them. Just do some damage, and then move.

The Praetorian battle here is a cakewalk on Insanity, though. Just remember to get cover, do some damage, and then move to new cover.

You guys can check out the guide I published for other general tips to Insanity, if you'd like. 

(I felt really weird about self promoting here, but there might be some stuff in there that could actually help someone. Heh. Please don't flame, I meant no offense.)

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeitsdon said:
    " should be shot. good god, at least give us a quick.save in between waves. "
    Horizon is a cake walk compared to the Collectors' Ship. FUUUUCK. 

I was playing through with a ported Sentinel I'd already finished the game with. Wasn't exactly easy getting up to the Collectors' Ship, but I didn't have a lot of trouble. Then, you're stuck on a floating platforms fending off dudes on other floating platforms. I tried for about an hour straight, not making any progress whatsoever.  

I ended up starting a brand new character--a Vanguard--from scratch and starting Insanity on level 1. From what I can tell, the enemies scale big time with your level, and considering the Sentinel I was using was level 30, but had exactly none of the upgrades I was rolling with at the end of the playthrough prior, the enemies were showing me all new kinds of pain at every step. 

I've been playing an hour with my Vanguard, however, and I'm already finished with Omega, have both Mordin and Garrus on my squad, and am moving on to wrap up the rest of the dossiers before Horizon. 
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ramone

The collector ship and horizon on insanity are pretty much equivelant to 'heat' and 'no fighting...' on COD 4 (on veteran) so for those who haven't experienced it yet you are in for a treat
    dudeitsdon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dudeitsdon
    @Teran: Yeah, I've been getting better at giving orders, but there's a lot of inherent problems that come up from trying to control your team: 
    1. if you send them to cover, sometimes they'll "unstick" from cover and just crouch there doing nothing, and will remain sitting there shooting at a wall until you to explicitly command them again
    2. if you command them to use a power with the directional pad, sometimes, even though the enemy is targeted, you'll set a way-point that they'll follow to their deaths instead
    3. when they're behind cover, they'll pop out to take shots even when they're shield is down and their health is low
    4. they'll break from their current cover and make a run for completely nonsensical cover that's completely exposed
    5. when you command them to go somewhere, sometimes there will be severe pathing problems, causing them to run the most ridiculously dangerous route possible to cover

Am I the only one experiencing this?! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!  Basically, the more you have to take individual control over your squad, the more chances you have of their AI completely going on the fritz. Something that I think could be made more bearable with more frequent save opportunities.

To be fair, though, the game is getting much more bearable as I find more and more upgrades. I've still yet to hit the Collector ship, however.
    notorganic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By notorganic

I just finished Horizon on Insanity.

I lost my cool after dying about 6 times on the first pre-hack wave with the husks. I was keeping mobile and kiting fine, but the AI would keep running too close to the scions and dying, leaving me to get reamed by the husks.

I ended up killing the Scions when I first came through the door without triggering them or the husks. Takes a little while (and you have to be precise with warp/concussion/incinerate), but got the job done. The best thing is, once the Scions are down the husks never come.

The rest was a breeze. Just hunkered down in the northern L bend covers, alternating depending on where the wave was coming from, and chipped away at everyone. In the last wave before the Praetorian you have to venture out and take out the last few collectors & harbinger, but it's not too difficult. As many have said, the Praetorian is a piece of piss - just kite around a truck and chip away at him.

I'm in no way skilled at games (I usually play things on the next level up from Easy/Casual, and avoid vs. Multiplayer because I always end up someone's bitch), and I'd never attempt Insanity in ME2 unless I thought the achievement was possible. I think I'm getting better.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Garrus
    @notorganic: The husks can get annoying but the Praetorian is pretty much just a case of trial and getting your ass handed to you until you do it right, running around the truck was what I did too, occasionally running behind other cover to get away from its shockwave.

The Praetorian did kill me quite a few times though, was always a lucky hit from it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeitsdon: The AI also has a tendency of abandoning cover when you stray too far from their position. 
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Teran

@dudeitsdon said:

" @Teran: Yeah, I've been getting better at giving orders, but there's a lot of inherent problems that come up from trying to control your team: 

1. if you send them to cover, sometimes they'll "unstick" from cover and just crouch there doing nothing, and will remain sitting there shooting at a wall until you to explicitly command them again
    2. if you command them to use a power with the directional pad, sometimes, even though the enemy is targeted, you'll set a way-point that they'll follow to their deaths instead
    3. when they're behind cover, they'll pop out to take shots even when they're shield is down and their health is low
    4. they'll break from their current cover and make a run for completely nonsensical cover that's completely exposed
    5. when you command them to go somewhere, sometimes there will be severe pathing problems, causing them to run the most ridiculously dangerous route possible to cover
     Am I the only one experiencing this?! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!  Basically, the more you have to take individual control over your squad, the more chances you have of their AI completely going on the fritz. Something that I think could be made more bearable with more frequent save opportunities. To be fair, though, the game is getting much more bearable as I find more and more upgrades. I've still yet to hit the Collector ship, however. "

I rarely have trouble with your first point but I definitely know what you mean.  It's easier to notice on insanity because of how instantly they'll die against certain enemies.  Fortunately I'm playing infiltrator at the moment and actually find most of the "hard" fights to be quite easy, though some of the easier "horde of weak enemies" fights that a soldier would just wreck give me trouble because of the limited ammo in the widow and low hitting power (against everything but shields) from the smg.

I've never had point number 2 happen to me.  This might be something they fixed for the pc version... or maybe the actual issue has to do with line of sight rather than a waypoint.  I couldn't say, I've had trouble on occasion with los, but never accidental waypoint setting as those default to the Q and E keys on the keyboard.

To be fair on point 3, sometimes taking shots is the best option when in cover, I do it a lot and have reloaded many a game because of it.  I don't see this happen often enough for it to feel crippling.

On number 4, I only see this happens if I basically kick them out of cover without giving them a waypoint.  It's frustrating, but not nearly as frustrating as them staying in cover and bumping you out of it getting you killed in the process.

Pathing in this game is horrible.  I think it's build into the engine however this is often the case with any game that doesn't allow "true" jumping.  As players if we hit something that doesn't allow us to move we know to react and compensate quickly, the ai on the other hand  can't process that it is being blocked by some random artifact for whatever reason so it will reroute to the second, third, or fourth best (or worse) route to try and follow your order.

I've talked things through with a friend of mine who's beaten it on insanity once or twice now and what he found is that for some reason forcing a character to using a sniper rifle greatly increased their effectiveness.  Much to my surprise it worked out far better than expected and I think this is because sniper rifles do large amounts of damage up front with no need for sustained fire which fits in better with the standard operating procedures of the game ai.  Zaeed and Thane are particularly good because their passive "class" skill gives them +50% damage.  I'd say Thane wins out slightly because of shredder ammo but inferno grenades are great against armor in general.  I've found myself using these characters quite a bit however the third character I use for "hard" missions is Legion.  His passive damage modifier isn't 50% but the fact that he has a widow with his upgrade allows him to hit extremely hard.  On top of that ai hacking and exploding drones scale extremely well on insanity as he is taking control of more powerful enemies to use against other enemies.  The drones for some reason live for a long time, are completely immune to most of the harbinger's attacks, and can stun enemies even if they've got armor/shields.

I usually slap a geth pulse rifle in on these guys as their alternate weapon so I can switch them over to shield breaking if needed.

@notorganic

said:

" I just finished Horizon on Insanity.  I lost my cool after dying about 6 times on the first pre-hack wave with the husks. I was keeping mobile and kiting fine, but the AI would keep running too close to the scions and dying, leaving me to get reamed by the husks.  I ended up killing the Scions when I first came through the door without triggering them or the husks. Takes a little while (and you have to be precise with warp/concussion/incinerate), but got the job done. The best thing is, once the Scions are down the husks never come.  The rest was a breeze. Just hunkered down in the northern L bend covers, alternating depending on where the wave was coming from, and chipped away at everyone. In the last wave before the Praetorian you have to venture out and take out the last few collectors & harbinger, but it's not too difficult. As many have said, the Praetorian is a piece of piss - just kite around a truck and chip away at him.  I'm in no way skilled at games (I usually play things on the next level up from Easy/Casual, and avoid vs. Multiplayer because I always end up someone's bitch), and I'd never attempt Insanity in ME2 unless I thought the achievement was possible. I think I'm getting better. "

Assuming I'm thinking of the right battle, I found that bunkering in the section where the second group of husks spawned worked out extremely well.  When they spawned I blew everything to kill them and I told my team to line up at the same rail I was at protecting my left flank while I covered the right and killed dangerous targets with my sniper rifle.  The Scions were rough as the thing rail didn't provide cover but they were easy to kite around the crates which would block their attacks.  My team did die frequently and I ran out of medigel but I got it done on my fourth try.

The praetorian was the easiest part of the fight thankfully, I actually just used my heavy beam weapon to destroy it as I didn't have a CAIN at the time.

I will say that now that I'm through a larger chunk of the game, this was by far the hardest battle I've fought so far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.