Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Origin or Gamestop?

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By SmasheControllers

Much like everyone else, I'm planning on getting ME3. The only thing is I don't know where to pre-order it from.

The GS pre-order bonus look better then the Origin one, and if I'm correct the ME2 GS pre-order bonus was the only pre-order bonus they didn't sell. Call me crazy but I'd like to get everything possible for this game, I did for ME2.

The one big plus from ordering off Origin is that I'll get the game for ~$60 rather than ~$80.

Also I was wondering where, if you did pre-order the game, di you pre-order your copy of Mass Effect 3?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

I preordered the collectors edition on amazon for xbox. I ain't touching gamestop.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmasheControllers

@Dany: Personally I try not to buy from GS, unless it's a game nowhere else has, but they always get the best pre-order bonus. I know, who cares? but I like pre-order bonuses.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RE_Player1

If you like the pre-order bonus than go with GameStop. My bonus now is waiting 3 weeks for the game to be on sale. Seriously game prices drop so fast it's ridiculous.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By uberexplodey

went with the Collectors Edition on Amazon for 360

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@SmasheControllers: $60 instead of $80, I think if I were in your shoes then the choice would be made there. ME3 will most likely be pretty great but the choice of getting a game for 60 or 80... there's NO content shy of 'real' DLC that could make me pay $20 more. You are still getting the game with that 60, you just miss out on pre-order junk that has no impact other than to look shiny and entice your money out of your pockets and towards a specific retailer. That content is available later, for your later playthroughs of the game no doubt, anyways and if it's not you can always just grab it from the 'net.

fieldafar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fieldafar

I preordered the collectors edition, if only because I bought the first two ME games way after they came out and were $20 each.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Winternet

Have they said that ME3 won't come out on Steam? Is that the rule for all EA games from now on?

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Sayishere

@Winternet said:

Have they said that ME3 won't come out on Steam? Is that the rule for all EA games from now on?

That would be a shame. A damn shame.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I pre-ordered the collectors edition for PC on Amazon a while back. I'm fine without getting the extra store specific pre-order, becasue I at least get the regular pre-order bonus.

@SmasheControllers: As for you, I don't know. Do you prefer having an additional shotgun or armor?

Koobasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Koobasta

Talk about a conundrum, I personally dislike both options. You know, if EA was smart they'd have the better pre-order bonus or have a lower price point to push their service. That being said, I'd go for Origin because I'm more of the type to want to be able to download a game.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Koobasta: It's not the PC version, It's the Collector's X360 version for $60, Origin sales console games too. Weird right?

I think I'm gonna go Amazon and hope they release everything as DLC.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Aus_azn

Gamestop for the preorder bonus.

Had my post in mind before I read the OP or the game that it was about. Post was relevant anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon.

DrMcKittrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By DrMcKittrick

Preordered CE from Gamestop for the 360.

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rynbeed

I decided awhile ago that if a game has Steamworks, I'll buy the box to have that and pair the game with Steam. If it doesn't, then I buy the game off Steam because I like the way they handle there download/DRM stuff, which is that as long as I can remember my password and am connected to the internet I get to play the game - so I have never had an issue.

In this case I just decided to go with GameStop. I haven't used Origin, but really cannot afford to pay for the game more then once and really don't enjoy getting hung up on by customer service, ie: I have heard way to may bad stories about how Origin is dealing with issues with there services. I could be better after all that Battlefield stuff, but it's just not a chance I want to take.

From what I can tell there isn't any word officially if ME:3 will be on Steam, but if the 2nd one is then the 3rd almost surely will be - I don't see why they wouldn't. But, in the event that they pull some "Get it in stores and on Origin first!" everywhere else a week or more later kinda bullshit, it seems easy enough to just get the damn thing from Gamestop.

In short: Gamestop. Because why not. And I am sure that Valkyrie Rifle will be totally worth it.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By withateethuh

I was going to use gamestop, but the collectors addition apparently is available for pickup which is odd.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Gamestop isn't that bad, unless you're buying a new game that didn't come out the week before, because then theres a good chance youre getting an already opened copy.

If you pre order though, it will 9/10 come sealed. Theres the random chance it wont though.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Undeadpool

Pre-ordering the Collector's Edition from Amazon. I refuse to spend money at GS and I'm playing on 360, so Origin is out of the question.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By jelekeloy

I can't decide if I want to get it for PS3 or PC. I have my ME2 save on PS3, but I'd like to be able to play it at 60fps with faster load times on PC. Then again Origin is kind of a pain. Either way, I'll likely get a boxed copy at Best Buy.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By louiedog

If I pre-order it'll be from Amazon. $10 credit, no tax (another $6 savings in my county), and it'll be waiting for me when I get home which is faster than stopping at a store. An in-game weapon and armor isn't worth $16 to me.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jelekeloy: Use a save creator and get the PC version.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@louiedog: There isn't a $10 credit with the Collector's Edition of the game.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @SmasheControllers said:

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/gives you the option to pick a save that best reflects the game you want, like if you want a renegade/paragon/mixed Shepard and which party members lived or died. The saves even cover ME1 stuff too in case you're worried about that.

In other words, get the PC version.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By louiedog

@SmasheControllers said:

@louiedog: There isn't a $10 credit with the Collector's Edition of the game.

I never claimed that there was one.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as its brand new and sealed, no real problem ordering from gamestop for a regular edition. EXCEPT that even online, unlike amazon and most other sites, whoever preordered first does NOT get first priority. Meaning, if the store only gets 20 copies in, and there are 80 preorders? The first twenty are not the ones guaranteed to get it. Its by a 'who comes in first' basis. Online, its completely random. I remember wayyy back when metal gear solid 3 subsistence came out. Immediately preordered within an hour online of the first rumor of the limited edition. Turns out, it took an extra month to get the game, because preorders were so high in demand, gamestop just sent them out randomly to who ever had ordered it. Even IF I was one of the first ones... Nothing has changed since then.

I'd say either origin, since its required on pc anyways *as long as you have the bandwith to download a game that huge*, amazon for the collectors edition, or walk into walmart day 1 for the regular one. Meh, great game, but I'm going to wait and play it. Mass effect 2 was essentially a recruiting story, with a main mission at the beginning, after you recruit everyone, and a big one at the end. If that is seriously all mass effect 3 is as well, so much for this grand bioware story.

SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

@SmasheControllers said:

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/gives you the option to pick a save that best reflects the game you want, like if you want a renegade/paragon/mixed Shepard and which party members lived or died. The saves even cover ME1 stuff too in case you're worried about that. In other words, get the PC version.

I got a save off that site and then used Mass Effect 2 Gibbed Save Editor [Modified] to edit the save some more, you know so it's exactly the way I want it.

puercoperro335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By puercoperro335

I recall people who were able to get all the pre-order bonuses for Gear of War 3. It was pretty simple since Best Buy and Gamestop both printed the pre-order exclusive dlc on the receipt after putting money down. So the buyers would cancel those preorders but retained the codes, and then pre-ordered from Amazon and got the Savage Kantus in an email.

Couldn't you do the same thing with this? Just buy it off Origin and place a preorder at gamestop, then cancel it once you've got your code.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.