Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

So it's official, ******* lives. (Spoilers of course)

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mike76x
    No Caption Provided

One of the goals for the Extended Cut, as part of addressing player feedback, was to provide more time with the love interest, and more opportunity for players to say goodbye to them and provide additional moments of connection between them. We did this in several ways:

• Shepard can now actually say goodbye to the love interest when they are split up at the conduit run.

• When Shepard sees flashbacks of important characters during the final decision, the flashbacks are now variable based on your playthrough – so your love interest can appear as one of the flashbacks, providing another moment of reflection between Shepard and that character.

• A memorial scene was added, partly to show a close bond between Shepard and the love interest. The scene is variable, and if Shepard has a love interest in a given playthrough, it will be that character who places Shepard’s name on the memorial wall.

• You may notice that in the “Shepard lives” ending, the love interest hesitates to place Shepard’s name on the wall, and instead looks up as though deep in thought. This is meant to suggest that the love interest is not ready to believe Shepard is dead, and the final scene reveals they are correct. As the Normandy lifts off, there is hope that the love interest and Shepard will again be together.

This was posted on the Bioware boards in the thread: Hate the Extended Cut - SPOILERS

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

That's only one possible outcome and should not come as a surprise to anyone.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By TheHT

Was there anyone who thought he just died after that gasp?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Conrad Verner lives? Fuck yeah!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Unless there's a sequel that takes that ending as the canon ending, it's not really official in terms of continued storyline.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maystack

We knew this from the tiny scene even before the Extended Cut came out.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By EquitasInvictus

It is fitting for the avatar of whoever in BioWare that posted that to be off the most bland, detestable antagonist I've experienced in recent memory. I don't even remember his name because he is not worth remembering; I shanked him with the omnitool, anyway. It seems that with the ME3 ending and developments regarding the EC, people now have a similar image of BioWare except that they are unable to shank BioWare with an omnitool.

I actually don't share that view, though; I am not upset with BioWare at all and found the ending acceptable even without the EC. I can see a lot of people vilifying them like that, however.

It's interesting that the canon ending they chose was a little incompatible with the "best" possible outcome in terms of resolving other conflicts in the universe. For example, my Shepard went out of the way to resolve the crisis between the Geth and Quarians so that everyone wins; it would be incredibly awkward for my Shepard to destroy all synthetic life which presumably includes the Geth after he went so far to let them coexist with the Quarians, so would that no longer be canon?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By N7

But it was confirmed loooong before the Extended Cut. From multiple Bioware employee's twitter accounts, and the strategy guide that lists him as alive in the destruction ending with a high enough EMS. Not to mention the giant "gasp" at the end.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By AngelN7

What? my love interest died in Rannoch she noded me at that flashback and I cried, the end. Also yeah that was implied in the old Destroy ending I don't know why this is a surprise to you , not like it matters for future games Shepard would be dead by then.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Oh yeah, big surprise.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheHT

@EquitasInvictus said:

It's interesting that the canon ending they chose was a little incompatible with the "best" possible outcome in terms of resolving other conflicts in the universe. For example, my Shepard went out of the way to resolve the crisis between the Geth and Quarians so that everyone wins; it would be incredibly awkward for my Shepard to destroy all synthetic life which presumably includes the Geth after he went so far to let them coexist with the Quarians, so would that no longer be canon?

Who said anything about a canon ending?

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By amir90

They should have just removed the breath scene.

Or maybe they will give us more dlc/games.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AngelN7

@EquitasInvictus said:

It is fitting for the avatar of whoever in BioWare that posted that to be off the most bland, detestable antagonist I've experienced in recent memory. I don't even remember his name because he is not worth remembering; I shanked him with the omnitool, anyway. It seems that with the ME3 ending and developments regarding the EC, people now have a similar image of BioWare except that they are unable to shank BioWare with an omnitool.

I actually don't share that view, though; I am not upset with BioWare at all and found the ending acceptable even without the EC. I can see a lot of people vilifying them like that, however.

Who's saying that's the canon ending? the next game on the series will jump foward thousands of years , they set up that stuff with the Stargazer, people will know the legend of The Shepard but the details will be vague( lost in time) because Shepard is user created with many different stories tied to him/her does circumventing the issue of making any story outcome canon.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@TheHT: Good point, for some reason I was reading into the statement as if they were going to use that ending as a basis for future content in the universe. I guess we won't actually know what would be considered canon until said future content happens and if that future content actually takes place after the ME3 ending.

EDIT: @AngelN7: Has it been confirmed that whatever comes next for the universe will actually be a sequel with that setting?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShaggE

Although I can't imagine that anybody cares enough to cause a fuss, just wanted to point out that it's obvious whose name goes into that blank.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jack268

Hold the motherfucking phone 

Shepard lives in the ending named "Shepard lives"?!

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@Jack268: Nah they meant his parents if you picked the spacer origin.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By AndrewB

@TheHT said:

Yup. Typically creative professionals insert completely meaningless content at crucial points in their story, like, say, the after credits stinger.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By kindgineer

I think when I first played Mass Effect, I knew at the ending of ME3 - Shepard would be alive.

Only idiots seriously kill off a well-known hero.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeanFoster

I don't like that the ugly chice of killing the Geth and EDI is the one that leads to Shepard surviving.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AngelN7

@EquitasInvictus: We don't know yet, they can either go back in time (wich would be lame) or go foward using the premise set by the Stargazer, since the universe delt with the main conflict of the series the Reapers in all of the endings (they're either render usless , destroyed , or fought and defeated by a future generation using the information Liara provided of the war against them) , at least that's what I hope if the next game is set in the same timeframe as the first 3 games then it would be some kind of spin-off rather than a new trilogy/series.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't really care at this point, cause between the original endings, and these new endings... and how badly handled Shepard is in all of them, I just want to see the "official" way the ME universe pans out for the inevitable spin-offs, or at least a comic or two.

EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EquitasInvictus

@AngelN7: That makes sense. Hopefully they still have it in them to continue the universe despite the fallout (hm, interesting unintended pun there considering FO3's ending) of the conclusion.

But yeah, the thread title could have been worded better, I think the "it's official" bit was what gave me the idea that "Shepard Lives" was supposed to be canon.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Jimbo

I don't think a franchise has ever lost my interest quite so rapidly before.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheHT

@AndrewB said:

@TheHT said:

Yup. Typically creative professionals insert completely meaningless content at crucial points in their story, like, say, the after credits stinger.

The after credits scene isn't a crucial point in a story, and the "Shepard Lives" clip was before the credits (i.e. a part of the ending). Stargazer was the after credits scene.

All that aside though, you genuinely thought that the clip of Shepard gasping for breath, had it continued for a few more minutes, would just show Shepard die? I suppose that shouldn't be surprising. Of the millions who played Mass Effect 3, surely at least one thought that clip was just a deception.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By AndrewB

@TheHT: *cant tell if serious or...*

I know sarcasm sucks on the internet, but I try to make it as obvious as possible when I'm using it. But I did forget that the gasp was before the credits; though it was the last thing that played before them.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheHT

@AndrewB said:

@TheHT: *cant tell if serious or...*

I know sarcasm sucks on the internet, but I try to make it as obvious as possible when I'm using it. But I did forget that the gasp was before the credits; though it was the last thing that played before them.

Ohhh, sorry. Between trolls and actual idiots, sarcasm can have a rough time on the internet.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AngelN7

@SeanFoster said:

I don't like that the ugly chice of killing the Geth and EDI is the one that leads to Shepard surviving.

It's war man you have to make sacrifices if you want to "win" sometimes you have to make them just to survive , I thought they were gonna go for the save humans or save aliens for the final choice more in line with the Renegade/Paragon thing , Organics or Synthetics is more momentous in that regard.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

When I played the extended cut I saw the Destroy ending is the one that most players would be satisfied with. It has all the parts for a "happy ending", other than you know, genocide of the geth and Edi. But you need to compartmentalize that away, who cares about that as long as the player gets what they want! Its a very interesting thing to think about, similar to what was done in Fable 2. You can choose to sacrifice for the greater good of many innocents or you can choose to be selfish and get a "better" ending for yourself.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.