Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 3

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Mar 06, 2012

When Earth begins to fall in an ancient cycle of destruction, Commander Shepard must unite the forces of the galaxy to stop the Reapers in the final chapter of the original Mass Effect trilogy.

Spoilarz Ahead My Thoughts on the Mass Effect 3 Ending

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Thusian

Along the lines of Gabe from PA I would like to give my thoughts on the ending of Mass Effect 3 in response to This article on Gamefront

Brevity

I agree that I view the entire game as the ending so I don't have a problem. Also you could consider the entire sequence on the citidal to be the ending in which case the ending was plenty long, you just got to interact with it instead of just watching it.

It’s Confusing

“I made some synthetics to kill you every 50k years so you would not be killed by synthetics”

So the AI who turns out to be the villain had flawed logic, that's what made him the antagonist.

Lore Errors and Plot Holes

I view the explosion of the Mass Relays to be different from that in the Arrival. The force is being dispersed through the network so its not wiping out the systems. That's how I interpreted it, that's the thing about a work like this its open to interpretation.

As for the question as to why Joker is traveling through the Mass Relay I thought about just how long I was up there, not just awake, but from the looks of things I was out for a while. Its entirely likely that the squad, even if they wanted to look for my body, had to pull out when I got zapped. They would have fallen back to a shuttle and gone to the Normandy. At that point it is possible that a strategic retreat was being called for or that the Normandy was being sent ahead as a nimble forward scout (with the capability to contact earth forces) to notify the rest of the fleet which system they should evac to so that they did not just go from one bad reaper fight to another. They said it took the Reapers a long time to take out the Prothians likely due to similar events.

Key Philosophical Themes Are Discarded

I really don't get this part of the argument either.

Player Choice Is Completely Discarded

But all of my choices affected which of the three I chose. I took Synthesis and in retrospect I wish I had chosen control relative to how I thought my Shep felt. I could not destroy because the Geth and Quarians had achieved peace, it did not seem right as I would be changing my view on the idea that synthetics and organics can live in peace. I did not try control, because I was not confident. Now since I looked up other endings I see that control works (unless you think the whole thing is indoctrination) I would have chosen that option as I think my Shepard would believe that he should not control the way life evolves. At least in my ending Joker and EDI can have some borg ass kids. PEACE!

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Thusian

Along the lines of Gabe from PA I would like to give my thoughts on the ending of Mass Effect 3 in response to This article on Gamefront

Brevity

I agree that I view the entire game as the ending so I don't have a problem. Also you could consider the entire sequence on the citidal to be the ending in which case the ending was plenty long, you just got to interact with it instead of just watching it.

It’s Confusing

“I made some synthetics to kill you every 50k years so you would not be killed by synthetics”

So the AI who turns out to be the villain had flawed logic, that's what made him the antagonist.

Lore Errors and Plot Holes

I view the explosion of the Mass Relays to be different from that in the Arrival. The force is being dispersed through the network so its not wiping out the systems. That's how I interpreted it, that's the thing about a work like this its open to interpretation.

As for the question as to why Joker is traveling through the Mass Relay I thought about just how long I was up there, not just awake, but from the looks of things I was out for a while. Its entirely likely that the squad, even if they wanted to look for my body, had to pull out when I got zapped. They would have fallen back to a shuttle and gone to the Normandy. At that point it is possible that a strategic retreat was being called for or that the Normandy was being sent ahead as a nimble forward scout (with the capability to contact earth forces) to notify the rest of the fleet which system they should evac to so that they did not just go from one bad reaper fight to another. They said it took the Reapers a long time to take out the Prothians likely due to similar events.

Key Philosophical Themes Are Discarded

I really don't get this part of the argument either.

Player Choice Is Completely Discarded

But all of my choices affected which of the three I chose. I took Synthesis and in retrospect I wish I had chosen control relative to how I thought my Shep felt. I could not destroy because the Geth and Quarians had achieved peace, it did not seem right as I would be changing my view on the idea that synthetics and organics can live in peace. I did not try control, because I was not confident. Now since I looked up other endings I see that control works (unless you think the whole thing is indoctrination) I would have chosen that option as I think my Shepard would believe that he should not control the way life evolves. At least in my ending Joker and EDI can have some borg ass kids. PEACE!

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

The power in their ending, I agree, is making you second-guess those choices you've made. Shepard (or you) is so calm in the face of adversity and challenge...and in the end you sit and wonder, "Did I make the right choice?", "Maybe I made the wrong choice", "DId any of my choices matter?"

Not a lot of games and provoke that feeling.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Dingofighter

The part that is still weird with the Normandy in that case is how the crew that was with me, who I saw lying dead while making my way to the conduit, is walking out of the Normandy later. At least, I'm pretty sure I saw them lying there... 
    Also, why would they be so happy after all that has happened? And why would the Normandy be affected by the shockwave at all? 
    After thinking about the ending for so long, I've almost come to the conclusion that I can accept it if I could only get a good explanation of the Normandy scenes... 

The best one so far is the indoctrination theory, but the real-world implications of that are so crazy I don't think it will ever come true...

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brevity is about the only one i'm a solid agree on ... it wouldn't take much really to make me content. just show everyone of importance briefly doing something - it almost doesn't matter what - before the light comes over them. It's kind of corny but it'd work, a little montage in silence with the music over it, showing everyone you've come to know and love ... it wouldn't change the events themselves at all (i'm fine with that) but just draw threads together around this one moment, make it personal (& unique, depending on choices = who is shown) for the player and connect with Shep's sacrifice more.

Really I think any of my problems with the ending are to do with presentation and delivery rather than the actual things that occurred. And I'm happy enough with it as it stands. Never expected to renegade interrupt the reapers out of a window.

Although some of it should have been even briefer i.e. just remove the Normandy bit because it was kind of stupid and i really don't need - or particularly want or remotely expect - a 'ray of hope' type deal after everything else.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By haggis

I didn't mind the story aspects of the ending. Nor did I find it confusing: basically, the AI made the choice to kill nearly everyone rather than to kill absolutely everyone. It chose to avoid the complete elimination of biological life by culling it severely. It's logical, even if it is a cold calculation. Which is what you'd expect from an AI, I suppose, which focuses purely on the arithmetic. But it still made the decision it did in order to save biological life. Which means that out of all the artificial life remaining, it was the only one that had respect for biological life. This ties directly into the themes surrounding artificial life in the game. If you've gone the paragon route, you'll have recognized that artificial life can coexist without the need for the cycle. If you've gone the renegade route, that option looks less plausible.

In the end, the final decision comes down to your opinion on the value of artificial life, and your optimism (or pessimism) regarding coexistence with biological life.

No, they don't explain the Normandy bit, and it's one of the problems with the ending. In general, though, my beef with it is that I feel like I've earned some closure on these characters, even just a few moments of explaining what happened to everyone. And they didn't offer that. The choices we made were always going to be instrumental: nothing more than preparing the way for making the final decision. By the time we're faced with the three options, the game can be sure that we've thought through all the implications. I was fine with it. It's more choice than we're often given. I was more annoyed that the final choice was followed by one of three endings that hardly varied at all in presentation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.