Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Franchise »

Mass Effect is a science fiction franchise created by BioWare. The main games follow the adventures of Commander Shepard, the first human Spectre, as he/she tries to protect the galaxy from an ancient and malevolent alien race.

The Third one? Already?

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

Okay. Developers are starting to get on my nerves a little bit. Mass Effect 2 isn't going to be released for another week, and Bioware is already putting together Mass Effect 3. I know it's supposed to be a trilogy, but shouldn't Bioware really wait to count their chickens until the hatch? The last thing we need is for another game to be shoved together after its known the franchise is dying...I'm already afraid of it with Reach, and I'd rather not see it happen to Mass Effect...

link for the lazy

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Feser

How is it dying? Didn't we at the giantbomb just rate it our most anticipated game?
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Damien
    @CoheedFavorHouse said:
    " it's supposed to be a trilogy "
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany

From the moment they announced the first mass effect, they said that Shepard narrative would be a trilogy exclusive to the pc and xbox 360. They would be doing the series a service to get this game out in a year and a half to finish off this arc.

Noticed you mentioned you knew it was a trilogy. Just because they are talking about getting hte third one to get it out as soon as possible, does not mean they are milking hte sereis

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By Cerza

Well this isn't that uncommon of a practice, especially at a big studio or one of it's subsidiaries. We knew it was going to be a trilogy and we knew there would be another game after this one. Would you rather they do like Valve has done with Half Life 2 Episode 3? Personally, I'm happy to know that ME 3 is in the early stages of it's development, because it tells me they are working on something. Also, it means that maybe the wait between 2 and 3 won't be as long as the wait between 1 and 2 has been.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By EpicSteve

Developers tend to work on games wayy before they're "officially" announced. It's not uncommon for work to being on a sequel to a game that's either just hit the market, or isn't finished yet.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

I'm sorry...but are you dumb? Developers almost always start the next game in a series before the last one is released...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah plus they KNOW enough people who bought the first will buy the second, and a portion of those will buy the third.  

Also yeah how is it dying? We haven't seen any sales of any ME products other than the first game. If this game bombs, then yes. But I can't see that happening.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Feser
    @CL60 said:
    "I'm sorry...but are you dumb? Developers almost always start the next game in a series before the last one is released... "

They also might start the third game around the same time as the second. Mainly if the game is going to use a new engine or they want to narrow the release gap as much as possible.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60

Yeah, and also...how is it dying...

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @CoheedFavorHouse said:
    " Okay. Developers are starting to get on my nerves a little bit. Mass Effect 2 isn't going to be released for another week, and Bioware is already putting together Mass Effect 3. I know it's supposed to be a trilogy, but shouldn't Bioware really wait to count their chickens until the hatch? The last thing we need is for another game to be shoved together after its known the franchise is dying...I'm already afraid of it with Reach, and I'd rather not see it happen to Mass Effect...

link for the lazy "
    We will put you on the frontlines in the war between the Zombies and Humans.  We plan to starve them out.
    Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rayfield

They've always said it was going to be a trilogy. And the first game was a roaring success so it makes sense to me. Unlike Alpha Protocol 2.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai

Didn't Bioware started talking about Mass Effect 2 not long after the first one came out. i say that because I remember reading about the save file transfer thingy not long after I played it. 

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Time_Lord

I say bring on mass effect 3 as fast as possible.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy
    @Time_Lord said:
    " I say bring on mass effect 3 as fast as possible. "
    Me too. I am going to be playing this game for so long... I don't want any withdrawls!
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Dustpan

They are only in the planning stages at the moment for the third game.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By frankxiv

the OP is saying this like they just have to "put it together" and it will magically be out next month.

of course they're working on it man.

also lol @ that article mentioning left 4 dead, which was a completely different situation

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By hatking

I'd like to think they've been working on all three since the begining, as in I'd like to think Casey Hudson and his crew have been brainstorming a general outline of the story from the start.  It is in bad practice to start a story and not know you are going to finish, especially in a series where the begining is released before you know.  So don't worry, I'm sure it will be high quality, I'm sure it won't be coming out this year and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I really want to see what happens next.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.