Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Max Payne 3 Emerges From Development Hell

• 98 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Oh, Max. I've missed you. I'm betting your face won't look like this in Max Payne 3, though.
    Oh, Max. I've missed you. I'm betting your face won't look like this in Max Payne 3, though.

Rockstar Games is known for taking its sweet time developing video games, and Max Payne 3 has been no exception. The game dropped of publisher Take-Two Interactive's release schedule for a while there, and like most Rockstar Games releases, no one was willing to say much about it. All Rockstar Games would promise is that the game wasn't dead.

If the Houser brothers are to be believed, we'll be playing Rockstar Games' interpretation of Remedy Entertainment's gaming noir next March. That's conveniently just before Take-Two's scheduled to reveal its fiscal results for the year. Dropping a highly anticipated Rockstar Games release might help!

Things are looking a bit different this time, but the series' aging mechanics wouldn't have held up.
    Things are looking a bit different this time, but the series' aging mechanics wouldn't have held up.

Max Payne 3 does take place after the events of Max Payne 2. The first two games were developed by Remedy Entertainment, who spent the better part of the last decade working on Alan Wake for Microsoft. Max has left New York behind, and finds himself acting as private security for a "wealthy industrialist" in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Gangs begin targeting the family he's protecting, forcing Max into action. Something tells me he might have to make a trip back to New York at some point, too.

We don't know much about the gameplay, except that it's third-person again and maintains the series' trademark Bullet-Time mechanics. Bullet-time was a nifty trick in 2001 that's been exploited to hell since. I'm curious to see how Rockstar goes about properly updating it for 2012.

Max Payne 3 will introduce the series to multiplayer, with a teased feature that will somehow "dynamically alter maps," and as per industry standard, a leveling system. Clans are also in the mix.

Rockstar Games keeps teasing that we'll see more of Max Payne 3 soon. I'm looking forward to it.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Rockstar Games is known for taking its sweet time developing video games, and Max Payne 3 has been no exception. The game dropped of publisher Take-Two Interactive's release schedule for a while there, and like most Rockstar Games releases, no one was willing to say much about it. All Rockstar Games would promise is that the game wasn't dead.

If the Houser brothers are to be believed, we'll be playing Rockstar Games' interpretation of Remedy Entertainment's gaming noir next March. That's conveniently just before Take-Two's scheduled to reveal its fiscal results for the year. Dropping a highly anticipated Rockstar Games release might help!

Max Payne 3 does take place after the events of Max Payne 2. The first two games were developed by Remedy Entertainment, who spent the better part of the last decade working on Alan Wake for Microsoft. Max has left New York behind, and finds himself acting as private security for a "wealthy industrialist" in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Gangs begin targeting the family he's protecting, forcing Max into action. Something tells me he might have to make a trip back to New York at some point, too.

We don't know much about the gameplay, except that it's third-person again and maintains the series' trademark Bullet-Time mechanics. Bullet-time was a nifty trick in 2001 that's been exploited to hell since. I'm curious to see how Rockstar goes about properly updating it for 2012.

Max Payne 3 will introduce the series to multiplayer, with a teased feature that will somehow "dynamically alter maps," and as per industry standard, a leveling system. Clans are also in the mix.

Rockstar Games keeps teasing that we'll see more of Max Payne 3 soon. I'm looking forward to it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Payne to the Max! <=== this means i commented without reading

Edit: Now that I've read it, I realize that I don't know how I feel about MP3

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By bassman2112

I have a lot of love for Max Payne, so I'm very much looking forward to this one =)

Lenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lenny

Awesomesauce...

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

When this thing sells insanely well I wonder if Remedy is going to look at Alan Wake like a redheaded stepchild.

mr_tickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mr_tickles

Favelas are the new black...... 

I'm just sayin. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@AhmadMetallic said:

Payne to the Max! <=== this means i commented without reading

Impressive.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaneDev

I hope they don't rip off Man on Fire too much since the plot sounds exactly like it. I'll give it a chance but I doubt it could top Max Payne 2 which is one of the best games ever made.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By wealllikepie

OH SHI-

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Enigma777

Can't wait!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GreggD

Also, Max Payne 1 is getting ported to iOS, among other handheld devices.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cornbredx

This isn't Max Payne and I'l continue to pretend it doesn't exist.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tesla

So the only available information on gameplay is multiplayer? Clans? Whoopdee fuckin doo!! Fat, bald Max in sunny South America and multiplayer...yeah it really sounds like they know what made the previous games so great.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Ghostiet

After they've shown screenshots of Max in NY, before landing in Sao Paulo, I've regained some faith in this game.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By williamhenry

So is he not bald anymore?

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By baconbutty

I think if anyone can produce a story with writing and dialogue absurd enough to do Max Payne justice it's Rockstar.

mattman734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mattman734

I really liked the look of the old bald version, hopefully elements of that will still be in there

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rawrz

Rockstar practically shits greatness these day so the games going to be outstanding. 

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CaLe

I have an idea in my head of what I want this game to be. A very up close and personal camera on Max, some visceral (yes that word!) feedback when shooting enemies. I really mean VISCERAL, as in you can see the bullets going through and HURTING them, like PAIN, or should I say PAYNE, MAX PAYNE.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By landon

Super excited. I love Max Payne.

DarthB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DarthB

I think this game should just say MP3 on the box. That would be the my favourite thing about it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

This is awesome and I wish I heard (read) more excitement, 'cause Max Payne deserves it, especially for the fact that Remedy left Rockstar Games of all companies to get it out the doors. I can imagine this'll play almost exactly like Red Dead Redemption though. I just hope it's the same voice actor for Max Payne, if it wasn't it may ruin what is an otherwise recognizable character.  

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Cybexx

After they released screenshots last week my guess was the with Rockstar's style of PR they would be launching around March, good to see I was right on the money.

The original Max Payne was in development for 5 years so considering that Rockstar Vancouver shipped Bully in 2006 this would end up being roughly the same amount of time. Bullet time has been overdone since 2001 but nobody has done it better than the Max Payne series, I mean Dead to Rights was the first one that really tried and they were pretty sloppy, the original FEAR got close but it didn't feel quite as tight as Max Payne 2.

Its is stupid and nit-picky but I am really hoping they implement the pause button from the previous games. I loved hitting that right in the middle of a firefight and having a scene of Max diving as he's shooting while a thug is being blown back into a shelving unit and all the little objects on the shelves have just started to fly off and the muzzle flashes from the guns are frozen as the camera pans around Matrix-style. It just always looked so damn cool and no one did muzzle flashes like Remedy did.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait I love this series it's going to be so great to get back in the Max Payne world again it's been way to damn long.

"It was colder than the devil's heart, raining ice pitchforks as if the heavens were ready to fall"

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I'm really excited, especially after Rockstar scaled back a little from the extreme change of a bald Max Payne in another land. Can't wait for March!

Vetterli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vetterli

Finally!

Let's hope they keep the wonderful Max Payne theme melody in MP3

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By probablytuna

Hopefully this will be the first Max Payne game I'll finish.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bed6ebbd32
    deactivated-5d6bed6ebbd32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Initial Box Shot
    Initial Box Shot

Was this game in development hell? Just seemed to me that Rockstar kept it behind the curtains differently than their other games. Not that I was enjoying seeing 2 screenshots with poor lighting every few months.

Also, DAT BOX ART.

Jerome85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jerome85

Do not fuck this up Rockstar.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Agent47
    @Jerome85: This is R* how dare you jaja.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jimbo

Hmmm, Bullet Time hasn't been run into the ground quite as badly as vanilla Stop 'n Pop though, so moving too far in that direction would be a boring choice. Maybe going into cover could sap your time slowing down potion (because you're acting like a pussy, instead of getting all adrenalined up).

I guess there's room for slick looking active reloads, brutal point blank executions, facial animation etc.

Avatar image for aneternalenigma
    AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AnEternalEnigma
    Typo in the second sentence. 

"The game dropped of publisher Take-Two Interactive's release schedule for a while there, and like most Rockstar Games releases, no one was willing to say much about it."
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrKlorox

This was never in development hell. It was just under Rockstar's schedule and PR cycles. One would expect a professional to realize this, but hey... this is exactly the type of mistake Kotaku Klepek makes.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fjordson

Whatever Rockstar, just hurry it up and take my money. Everyone knows this will be great.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DeF

I'm really worried that this is not what I want it to be. Max Payne is one of those cases where I need it simply prettier and more. I hope they got Max's voice actor back ..that's really important!

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By gamb1t

Cant knock it till you try it but its kinda hard to top maxpayne 2 which was outstanding.

interested to see how the bullet mechanics work out

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

I'm willing to possibly give this game a shot when it comes out but I still don't see how it's supposed to be anything than a cash-in on what Max Payne might still be worth to some fans. I love both Max Payne games but this just seems to be some sort of generic shooter. First the weird designs and screenshots that have been out for a while and now these multiplayer teases. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe there just shouldn't be another one of these...

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By gbrading

Thank God Max has hair in at least some of the game. I was terrified he was going to be looking like Bruce Willis throughout the entire game. So glad that James McCaffrey is still going to be voicing Max (and no mo-capping Max). He's done a fantastic job in the past.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zabant

That was kind of hard to read. I think it was Patrick's instance on using "Rockstar games" instead of just calling them rockstar

mbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mbr

It'll probably be a good game but just like with Fallout 3 this will not be a Max Payne game.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Barrock

Patrick, I'm confused. Did they ditch a lot of the stuff that they showed before such as old bald Max? Or is that still in there?

dk3691

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By dk3691

I hope he becomes fat, bald, painkiller-addicted Max at some point.  That was a really interesting take on him.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zabant
    @Vetterli said:

Finally!

Let's hope they keep the wonderful Max Payne theme melody in MP3

Goosebumps time!
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fjordson
    @Barrock said:

Patrick, I'm confused. Did they ditch a lot of the stuff that they showed before such as old bald Max? Or is that still in there?

It's still in there. That's fat, washed up Max in Brazil. But we've also seen a younger looking Max since part of the story will show how and why Max left New York, most likely through flashbacks.
    Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chop

Well, here's hoping Rockstar can actually make a decent feeling shooter. Every game that has been on RAGE this generation tends to feel like shit when you're actually shooting and there is no open world in Max Payne to cover that fact up. I have a bad feeling bout' this one.

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mumrik

Don't care that much about what they're doing with bullettime. What I worry about is the story and the storytelling. Max Payne 2 is one of the few games that have really moved me. I'm a sucker for this depressing noir voice-over comic book style.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By napalm

Oh, multiplayer? Thanks Rockstar, you just single-handedly unsold me.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrKlorox

@dk3691 said:

I hope he becomes fat, bald, painkiller-addicted Max at some point. That was a really interesting take on him.

Agreed. It was the first realistic step the series took.

@Zabant said:

That was kind of hard to read. I think it was Patrick's instance on using "Rockstar games" instead of just calling them rockstar

Yeah, I can see that. But the problem with just using "Rockstar" is it's too vague since every studio the publisher owns is also called Rockstar. Remember all the bullshit about how LA Noire was not developed by a studio named Rockstar, therefore it didn't qualify as a Rockstar game, to the ignorant? The lack of distinction between Rockstar Games (the publisher) and Rockstar [location] (the studios owned by Rockstar Games) was definitely part of the confusion.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#49  Edited By Sooperspy

I love Max Payne. I just wonder how much they'll change since games have changed so much since 2004 (Max Payne 2?)

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By nightriff

I love Max Payne, its in my top 3 favorite games of all time, I want to see this game BUT I'm really skeptical on how they are going to pull off the whole Brazil thing, it could be cool or completely ruin the game, to early to tell...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.